Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alignment question- need some help

1. 04-04-2012 11:11 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMouse View Post
      Yessir do you run those track only?
      Nope , on top of the track abuse, they have beeing seeing potholes, salt, water and snow for 2+ years now!

Vehicles
      2004 .:R32, 2003 Jetta TDi
      04-04-2012 11:28 AM #37
      Speaking of alignment.. I have a question..not to thread jack but I thought my question could help as he doesn't want to go through tires unreasonably fast just like me.. I have bad tire wear problems in the front where it cups really bad even with "OEM spec" alignment.. I'm lowered now and still have the issue but I've had the problem since I had stock suspension and it ate up my front tires on the insides when there was plenty of tread left on the rest of the tire. now from what ive researched the "stock" alignment settings themselves were even incorrect? I was told by someone who has some experience building and running track cars that our cars most likely toe-out under throttle and to dial it with some slight toe-in? I dont know him that well so I've never really known if thats true or not.. anyone else got tips for obtaining even tire wear up front?

Vehicles
      04 .:R32; 20th a.e.;87 rattled black Toyo;94 AWD caravan;97 Gti Vr6T;82 924 porsche
      04-04-2012 06:25 PM #38
      I like your friends thinking for outside the box. Yes he is right, the static alignment settings do change once the car is in motion. As for a toe stand point, the suspension bushing do allow toe to change.

Ideally all manufacturers would want 0 toe while traveling down the road. Some cars (manlyRWD) want a static positive value in front. Most FWD cars call for a negative static value for toe. Really depends on what style suspension configuration your car has.

To answer your cupping question, is it just one tire? Is it both fronts? Are the tires actual choppy on inside edge or just worn? Did you just have them rotated recently? What are your alignment specs?

Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '97 Jetta TDI / '87 GTI VRT
      04-06-2012 10:53 PM #39
      Got my alignment today (http://www.jannettyracing.com/perfor...ignments.shtml), final specs below. Not dead nuts what I wanted, but we got it as close as possible given my budget (Could of got it 100% if we spent some more time on it, but my wallet was already throbbing and my eyes were glued on the clock, so I made some sacrafices ). All in all, for being my first performance alignment, I am very happy with the end result. On the ride home, I was amazed at how fast I was going on the highway. It felt like I was going near the speed limit, but in actuality I was no where near it . I've yet to tear up the twisties since I need to still roll my fenders or trim my fender liners to stop the damn rubbing. The guys as Jannetty were nice and very willing to work with me (Especially when it came time to pay...their site used to said $100/hr, so thats what I paid. Its since been promptly changed ). I ended up talking to Tony and lending a hand during the 3 hour process which was nice (Since I could keep an eye on things and learn some stuff....and snap some pics ).

Front:
      -1.75 Camber
      7.80 Caster
      0 Toe

Rear:
      -1.25 Camber
      -.12 Toe (-.24 Total Toe)
      0 Thrust Angle

One thing worth noting, having weight in the car to simulate passengers makes a HUGE difference. We had the rear all buttoned up and then I remembered that I wanted to have weight in the car. We threw (6) sand bags in the drivers seat (well one was on the floor, don't ask me what each one weighed, but it was very close to my weight ). Once weight was in, the passenger side rear camber shot up from -1.25 to just over -1.6 and the drivers side went to -1.4. Obviously the problem won't be as pronounced for you skinny guys, but either way I was amazed at how much it changed.

Pics for clicks!

Last edited by Cspence; 04-06-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '97 Jetta TDI / '87 GTI VRT
      04-14-2012 10:37 PM #40
      Well, after trimming my wheel liners and rolling my fenders, I was finally able to take the car out for a proper ride. I like to think that I'm a "good" driver and one that can tell the difference after mods, but in actuality I'm probably just average and don't pretend to know it all, so everything after this point is purely my opinion . The car handles AWSOME! With the new coil overs, the proper alignment, correct tire pressure, HPA comp controller, and a Unibrace....this thing rips up back roads. Steering response is on point, the rear is tossable (ask my wife ), and it simply instills confidence when driving with speed through twisties. For the longest time I've been longing to rid my car of understeer and being able to toss the rear out. Tonight I pushed her pretty hard and although the rear did not dramatically swing out, there was some noticable movement....enough that I received an earful from my wife who is normally mellow during spirited drives. Judging from that I'd say I dun good! I wish I was heading to WITW

6. 04-15-2012 12:00 AM #41
      Nice Chris!

Vehicles
      2004 .:R32, 2003 Jetta TDi
      05-03-2012 01:42 PM #42
      Its both front tires for me, almost seems like the passenger side is a bit worse. I did have an alignment done when i got new rubber mounted all around though I dont have the specs of what was done. I havent even had these tires 20k yet and they all need to be replaced already due to the cupping. it doesnt look choppy it just looks really worn down as compared to the rest of the tire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12