Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Just Picked Up a Gallardo Spyder

Vehicles
      Bent M
      04-02-2012 04:34 PM #211
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      Congrats on your new car!....but...you are also a bad influence and got me perusing Autotrader. There's a 2004 with only 5700 miles here in my town for $99K. Don't have much data on the Gallardos but from the dealer pics, 2006+ was the first facelifted model?
      The 04's were nice cars and all, but they had the older E-Gear, the older 500hp engine, and they were pre-facelift.

Your TT-RS is probably faster and nicer.
      2000 BMW M Roadster - 5-speed
      2014 Mazda Mazda6 - 6-speed
      2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV - 5-speed
      2013 Honda Civic LX Sedan - Nannymobile

Vehicles
      Bent M
      04-02-2012 04:35 PM #212
      Congrats on your new car!....but...you are also a bad influence and got me perusing Autotrader. There's a 2004 with only 5700 miles here in my town for $99K. Don't have much data on the Gallardos but from the dealer pics, 2006+ was the first facelifted model?
      Also, 99k is a bit high for 2004 Gallard Coupe with any mileage.

I have seen cars like that sell for $80k-$90k.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      04-02-2012 04:37 PM #213
      HAHAHA, I did the same thing. I was like, "Hey I can unload both of my cars, and live off of ramen for the next 8 years to pick up one!!"

But then, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to fit in one with such a horrible diet.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      04-02-2012 04:46 PM #214
      Quote Originally Posted by SoLo2pointO View Post
      Really? 6 pages and two pictures of acquired Lamborghini???

OT, but that man must be a freaking monster.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      01 S4 & 06 GTI
      04-02-2012 04:49 PM #215
      Congrats on your purchase. Be sure to check out lamborghini-talk.com & lambopower.com very great informative Lambo forums.

Vehicles
      MK6 JSW
      04-02-2012 04:51 PM #216
      congrats on your new Spyder.

Vehicles
      2006 VW GTI 2.0t
      04-02-2012 04:55 PM #217
      It's not the cost of the car that would give me doubts but the cost of insurance in Hollywood on that thing, especially if your driving record has a past anything like mine...

Congrats on the purchase
      A brave man's weapon is his heart.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      04-02-2012 05:06 PM #218
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Speaking of the other thread though - one of the things I had mentioned was the attention this car was going to draw.

Had you spent the exact same amount of money on an S-Class, Alpina B7, or CL - no one would have said a word.

For example, the controversy here started before you even bought the car.

Hopefully things settle down back in LA
      The attention is cool, I really like talking about the car. It was just a little much due to the stress of the trip both mentally and physically. But now I'm back in sunny LA so any attention is welcome, especially from members of the opposite sex

Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      I called the snow in OR. I would have shipped it in the storms we just had. But, I'm glad you and the car made it down in one piece.
      Yeah, I remember reading your post and thinking "there's no way it's going to snow", I couldn't have been more wrong

Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      I had this EXACT thing happen to me in the same EXACT spot. Southern pass out of Oregon right? I had a 1990 Coupe Quattro and I giddily passed all the "schmucks" putting on chains in the driving snow below the pass. As I came down the far side of the pass I notice that horrible grinding noise. Took a guess what it was and quickly turned off to find a cattle grate to drive over and knock the gravel loose. Worked like a charm. You're car has some nice patina now and you have a good story about actually driving your expensive toy. No hanger queen there. If it makes you feel any better Jay Leno's Macleran's nose is full of rock chips too.
      Yeah, it was right near the OR/CA border. I'm not the type of person to panic but I almost freaked out when I initially couldn't figure out the source of the noise. I don't think there were any Lamborghini dealerships within a few hundred miles

Quote Originally Posted by SoLo2pointO View Post
      Really? 6 pages and two pictures of acquired Lamborghini???
      I'm not really the type of person to take a lot of pics, but my friend took at least 75 pictures, I'll upload some when he posts them on his facebook. I've also been really busy, the drive back took about 2x as long as it should have and I took Friday off work so I have some catching up to do work-wise

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      I find this a very interesting tidbit. Does this hold true for most hypercars as well?
      I'd say the Gallardo is a step below a "hypercar," but from what I've read the single-clutch E-Gear transmission doesn't like stop and go traffic. Every time you start from a complete stop the system has to slip the clutch a little to get the car moving and constantly stopping and starting can wear the clutch prematurely. Especially on hills (I was in another mountain pass called "The Grapevine" when traffic backed up). I'm not sure exactly how much damage it does, but I didn't want to risk it, I definitely need to read up on the ins and outs of owning a car with this kind of transmission

Quote Originally Posted by Mazdareppin' View Post
      Congrats to you as a fellow Miata owner, sounds like you are a real humble person and very well deserve this car. Great car to own, once I am out of college its the first one I have in mind.

For anyone picking a part his financial situation, that is very rude of you, and is the OP's personal business.
      The only thing I'll say about my financial situation is this: I was very happy with how much money I was making a few years ago when my salary was Z, where Z=X-Y and X is the amount of money I'm making now, and Y is the estimated annual costs of payments/insurance/parking/maintenance/gas for the Lamborghini. X is probably a less than a lot of people on TCL would need to be making to buy a car like this but apart from my love of cars and travel I have a very low-maintenance lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I may have to go over there after work and take care of business with the DSLR .
      Come by any time. I'll be at the gym/MMA classes until 7:30pm but I should be around after that

Everybody I've talked to told me you don't want a 2004. I can't recall all the issues but apparently that first year had a bunch of problems that make the 2004 cars worth a lot less. They changed some things in 2005 and more things in 2006. I think 2008 was the first year that the actual body of the car had significant changes, with the deeper front air intakes and thinner taillights. 2006 was the first year of the Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      The 04's were nice cars and all, but they had the older E-Gear, the older 500hp engine, and they were pre-facelift.

Your TT-RS is probably faster and nicer.
      The TT-RS would definitely be faster to 60 but even the early Gallardos are much faster at speed

Quote Originally Posted by a4 View Post
      Congrats on your purchase. Be sure to check out lamborghini-talk.com & lambopower.com very great informative Lambo forums.
      I'm on Lamborghini-talk but the design of lambopower is terrible. The registration process was so frustrating I just gave up on that forum entirely
      Last edited by thetopdog; 04-02-2012 at 05:11 PM.
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Vehicles
      Please See Signature.
      04-02-2012 05:06 PM #219
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      Some of you guys might remember this thread where I mentioned I was looking into getting a Gallardo:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...My-Current-Car

As usual for a thread about a relatively expensive car on TCL there were a ton of people that wanted to either claim I was lying or speculate about my financial situation. Hopefully we can keep that to a minimum in this thread.

Anyway, I've been looking for the right car for a while, and I finally found one in Seattle. I flew into Seattle to pick it up today. The car is pristine, a 2006 with only 12,000 miles on it, full service records, all the original documentation, both keys, etc. The car had a PPI done and it passed with flying colors.

Before today I had never driven a Lamborghini (the only first-hand Lamborghini experience I had was sitting in a Murcielago at the Exotics Racing thing out in Vegas) but the dealer was really cool and spent 30 minutes with me teaching me the ins and outs of driving this car. I've been driving stick for years, but I had very little experience with the E-Gear transmission so his tips were very helpful.

When I was at the dealership a group of 18-19 year old boys came in and were checking out all the nice cars. The dealer told them they could look but they couldn't sit in the cars or open the doors (which is understandable) and I could tell they were a little disappointed. I told them they could sit in my car all they wanted, which seemed to make them very happy. I remembered when I was that age I would have loved to take a ride in a Lamborghini so I offered to give them a ride as soon as my paperwork was all finalized. I only had time to give one of them a ride but the guy was ecstatic, he told me they had driven 50 miles to check out the cars. It felt pretty nice to be able to do that for him

When I finally got the car on the road I was really surprised at how docile it is. It's not that loud, the ride isn't that harsh at all, and the interior is really nice. At low speed it drives more like a luxury car than what I had imagined an exotic car should drive like. Of course, rush hour in the rain in Seattle is not one of the best times to be driving a car like this, especially since I really wanted to put the top down, but I guess that will have to wait until I get back to California.

I've only had the car for a few hours, but I'm still trying to get used to how much attention it gets. I've already had people taking pics of the car, people staring at it, pointing, kids literally screaming, etc. I knew the car would attract attention, but I didn't realize the full extent until I got in it.

I'll have more driving impressions tomorrow. I barely got a chance to see what this car could do because I was stuck in rush hour traffic the entire way from the dealership to the hotel.

I've only got this one terrible pic that was taken on my crappy Blackberry, but I'll have better pics soon enough

By the way, any TCL member that is in the LA area and wants to take a ride in this car is welcome (as long as you weren't one of the people that ruined my initial thread), just PM me and we can figure something out

You are awesome.

Please, will you post in my thread? http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...o-for-a-living

You'd be the first one to actually post in it that was on-track with the OP

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      04-02-2012 06:41 PM #220
      For letting those kids sit in your car and taking one for a ride. Congrats. Seem like a badass dude. I worked for Lance Armstrong for a few years and he was very kind and open with his home and personal items. He was more stoked for me to take the Foose GTO out then I was I think. Doing good things makes good people!

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      04-02-2012 06:59 PM #221
      Wow, congrats. I'm SUUUPER jelly that you get to drive a Gallardo let alone afford one. Enjoy it!

Vehicles
      1990 Jetta Diesel, 1987 Jetta, 1986 Jetta, 1986 GLI, 63 356, 1984 911, 2013 Fiat 500, 1997 Passat
      04-02-2012 07:58 PM #222
      Last edited by audi80Quattro; 04-02-2012 at 08:14 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 honda fit sport now, 2006 Mini cooper s dinan, 2001 VR6 GTI, 82 ford courier
      04-02-2012 08:00 PM #223
      Have an awesome time with the new car! I am very happy for you! Any time i have purchased a car that was a fun driving one, the feeling is so exciting and the first drives are such adventures of pleasure and fun. Enjoy!

04-02-2012 08:02 PM #224
      I may have to go over there after work and take care of business with the DSLR .
      Yea but we want good photos, not blurry shots of the car from 200 ft away.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      04-02-2012 08:19 PM #225
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Yea but we want good photos, not blurry shots of the car from 200 ft away.
      What's a less stereotypical way of saying this:
      a) He's Russian covering up a salvaged title or
      b) He's not asian.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      04-02-2012 08:25 PM #226
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      What's a less stereotypical way of saying this:
      a) He's Russian covering up a salvaged title or
      b) He's not asian.

What is this, Jeopardy?
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      '94 LS400
      04-02-2012 08:48 PM #227
      Congrats on the car

Wanna adopt me for a few months if I get this internship in LA this summer?..... please?

18. 04-03-2012 02:20 AM #228
      Amazing car!! Be safe and enjoy!

04-03-2012 01:35 PM #229
      What is this, Jeopardy?
      I will take Lawbear potpourri for $200

Vehicles
      90 turbo miata - 87 325is - 13 Mustang GT
      04-03-2012 03:32 PM #230
      For living the dream and being a cool guy about it I'm sure that kid who you gave a ride to will remember that for the rest of his life.

Vehicles
      2004 Frontier SC
      08-22-2012 05:32 PM #231
      make an ownership update thread!
      past affairs - '12 jetta, '05 s4 6mt, '03 20th gti (x2), '04 tt 3.2l dsg, '07 wrx, '05 sti, '07 & '08 gsx-r600s

Vehicles
      Bent M
      08-22-2012 05:56 PM #232
      Quote Originally Posted by KC Jazz View Post
      make an ownership update thread!
      This.

Vehicles
      '12 Regal GS / '93 MR2
      08-23-2012 01:55 PM #233
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      This.
      X2.
      '12 Regal GS | '93 MR2

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      A Buick with a manual transmission. The Mayans must be right.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567