Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2012 JSW TDi - Need advice!

1. 03-31-2012 11:37 AM #1
      I have a new Sportwagen TDi. I'd like to buy a reliable plug and play chip/module or whatever you call it. I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I did try to search the forums but there are so many acronyms and technical terms I thought I'd start a new thread. Here's what I'd like:

I have 5 years of included maintenance, and extended warranty from VW. I want to be able to unplug the module before service visits.

I'd like mileage and performance boost if possible.

There are so many options when you search for this stuff. I don't know where to start or which webpage to believe. I've seen these things listed for $75-$600.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI, 1969 Plymouth Barracuda, 1964 Buick Riviera,
      03-31-2012 12:23 PM #2
      Welcome!

Unless you can find a performance tuner that is close to you, prepare for endless trips back to your tuner to get your software put back on your car.

When you go in to the dealer for scheduled maintenance, and that maintenance includes any type of computer upgrade, they will wipe out any performance tune that you have on your car.

Most performance tuners are cool about re -installing it for you if the dealer wipes it out, but from my experience the hassle of going back and forth is not worth the minimal performance gains.

Your TDI wagon's performance will benefit greater with an upgraded handling package including suspension swaybars and tires.

Last, and this is just my opinion: Engine performance modifications on a 140HP diesel engine are stupid and a waste of money. If you want to go fast, buy a fast car...not a grocery getter. Also, you claim you want better mileage as well? You've already got the segment leader in fuel economy, what more do you want?

In any case, enjoy your new ride!

EDIT: The other members here will chime in about what performance tunes they like, which will give you an idea about what is out there and available.

That is what's cool about JSW owners here on this forum: we all have our different opinions but everyone is cool about it
      Last edited by VAG0; 03-31-2012 at 12:26 PM.

3. 03-31-2012 01:34 PM #3
      Thanks VAG0!

Is there any performance difference between the plug in modules vs. the ECU flash? To me, based on my service concerns, the plug in module would be a much better option. And of course I like this idea because I can do it myself.

Also, to address your mileage question. I have seen a major decrease in my stock mileage since I changed wheels. They are the same OD, but I went with 17" over the stock 16"s. They seem to "catch the wind" a little, thus I've lost about 5mpg. I was hoping the chip module would get me back to "stock" mileage of about 40mpg. I was considering a Golf TDI, so mileage is important to me. I have a long commute.

I'm not looking for a fast car. My thought was that if I can get a couple mpg and a little extra grunt for a one time price of $300-$500, why not? If I'm off base in those thoughts....well, that's why I'm here! Thanks for your input.

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      03-31-2012 02:11 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by cjpavlov View Post
      Thanks VAG0!

Is there any performance difference between the plug in modules vs. the ECU flash? To me, based on my service concerns, the plug in module would be a much better option. And of course I like this idea because I can do it myself.

Also, to address your mileage question. I have seen a major decrease in my stock mileage since I changed wheels. They are the same OD, but I went with 17" over the stock 16"s. They seem to "catch the wind" a little, thus I've lost about 5mpg. I was hoping the chip module would get me back to "stock" mileage of about 40mpg. I was considering a Golf TDI, so mileage is important to me. I have a long commute.

I'm not looking for a fast car. My thought was that if I can get a couple mpg and a little extra grunt for a one time price of $300-$500, why not? If I'm off base in those thoughts....well, that's why I'm here! Thanks for your input.

Don't get a plug-in chip. Doesn't revo or apr offer their "mode changer" dongle thing yet?
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI, 1969 Plymouth Barracuda, 1964 Buick Riviera,
      03-31-2012 03:07 PM #5
      Are you certain that you've noticed a 5MPG decrease from a simple wheel and tire combo?

OUCH. What the hell are your wheels made of? Kryptonite?

To answer your question, to my knowledge there are no plug in modules available that I know of that would justify their price tag.

Offsetting mpg's with performance gains is lose-lose.

There is no magic bullet that will improve gas mileage AND performance at the same time.

Maybe someone here has installed Neuspeeds underdrive pulley and they can share any
      reviews?