Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Differences for PPL Part 141?

Vehicles
      2000/Volkswagen/Jetta
      03-31-2012 12:02 PM #1
      My uncle brought up the point a few months back about maybe training out of the 141 school I'm currently taking ground school classes at because it may be cheaper? I know requirements are different with flight time etc, but the cost of the airplane is more at the school. Plus it's a little farther out of the way driving. So, Is there any way to substantially save money going through 141? I've already got 30 hours so am I too far along to notice it anyway? Thoughts please, thanks!
      See, decide, attack, reverse.

-- Major Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, Luftwaffe.

Hilfe! Mein käse ist heiß, und mein Flugzeug brennt!

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      03-31-2012 04:45 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Imaslipper View Post
      My uncle brought up the point a few months back about maybe training out of the 141 school I'm currently taking ground school classes at because it may be cheaper? I know requirements are different with flight time etc, but the cost of the airplane is more at the school. Plus it's a little farther out of the way driving. So, Is there any way to substantially save money going through 141? I've already got 30 hours so am I too far along to notice it anyway? Thoughts please, thanks!
      A good 61 school is just as good as an average 141 school. 141 guarantees at least a baseline of some quality, and some regulatory oversight, making the average 141 school better than an average 61 school.

You can't just 'switch' into a 141 school, however. To take advantage of the reduced training time, you have to go through the whole programme. In other words, it's too late for you now.

I've never really seen anyone save much time with a 141 school. Yes, the legal requirements are reduced for Private and Commercial, but nobody really does that anyway, and nobody will take a commercial seriously until you have 250 hours anyway, so don't base any decision on that. You should get the BEST training you can, regardless of where. If you half-ass your training to save money, that's setting you up for problems forever.

PS - Stop calling it a 'PPL' unless you're not in the US. There's no such thing as a PPL here. It's a Private Pilot Certificate. There is no 'license'.

Vehicles
      MH-60R
      03-31-2012 07:26 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      PS - Stop calling it a 'PPL' unless you're not in the US. There's no such thing as a PPL here. It's a Private Pilot Certificate. There is no 'license'.
      Now, you are just being anal. Everyone I know in the USA calls the damn thing a PPL.

Vehicles
      2000/Volkswagen/Jetta
      03-31-2012 08:34 PM #4
      If I recall correctly, I've already been scolded in here about that?

Vehicles
      2000/Volkswagen/Jetta
      03-31-2012 08:34 PM #5
      By the same person.