Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Scirocco GT24 CNG

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 Fiat 500e, '14 Honda Pilot, '11 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback, '09 Suzuki Gladius
      03-31-2012 12:26 PM #1
      It's been a while since I posted here, but I wanted to share this restoration project with you all, since it currently has VW content.

The chassis is a Tamiya FF01 front-wheel-drive TA02 model. This chassis has been discontinued since 1999, and are becoming collectible items. I happened to find one relatively un-molested, so I decided to bring it back up to spec with some modern equipment where I found it appropriate.

The full project build-out can be found here:
      http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144354

The body is a Tamiya Scirocco R GT24 CNG body kit. It is modeled after the Scirocco GT24 CNG race cars used in the 24 Hours of Nurburgring race. It is of special significance to me because I work in the Compressed Natural Gas field designing fueling stations that use CNG.

Links to the video of the REAL car here:
      http://www.autobild.de/videos/vw-sci...t-1322473.html

On to the pics:

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1992/Corrado VR6
      04-14-2012 08:43 AM #2
      Looks great!!!!

I should have scrolled down a bit more before I posted seeing the Scirocco on Tower Hobbies site. I'm thinking of buying the body soon. Will be checking local hobby shops first. I also noticed they are selling this in two chassis versions (TT01E & FF01)

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 Fiat 500e, '14 Honda Pilot, '11 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback, '09 Suzuki Gladius
      04-16-2012 08:27 PM #3
      I bought the FF03 version and used the body from that kit and mounted it onto the FF01 that you see above.

I think they are great cars and offer realistic handling as far as r/c cars are concerned--still way beyond what their real cars these things are modeled from can achieve, but much more interesting than the point and squirt run of the mill 4WD touring car offerings.

I highly recommend the FF03, and if you are just looking to bash and have a shelf-queen, then the TT01 is a bargain considering how much the bodies alone cost.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1992/Corrado VR6
      04-17-2012 10:06 AM #4
      Correction I meant FF03. I currently own a FF01 with my MK3 Golf body. I purchased a Corrado shell which I have not done anything with yet. I will definitely use both (Corrado/Scirocco) shells once I purchase the FF03 version. I'm not one to bash up my RCs. Just a nice open smooth paved area.