Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Multiple cylinder misfire

Vehicles
      24v Fast, 2L low and slow
      03-31-2012 01:50 PM #1
      The problem started yesterday out of nowhere. 03 GTI, pretty much stock. I drove to work yesterday with out any issues, but after work, before I was even out of the parking lot I noticed the idle was rough. Ive had ignition coils go out, and that as my first assumption.

As I accelerated out of the parking lot, the car was pretty jerky and hesitant, and then I noticed the CEL was blinking. Checked it out when I got home, and I have 3 new codes, PO300 - Random/multiple cylinder misfire. Misfires are on 1 and 4. I switched coils 1 and 2 and erased the codes to see if the coil was bad, started it up, and same thing, misfires on 1 and 4.

Im pretty new to this engine and its a newer car than Ive ever owned. Most of the info I found was in the 1.8T forums, and usually pointed to software issues or vacuum loss, but all the info was vague or directly related to the 1.8T.

Could anyone offer me a little direction?

Vehicles
      E92 BMW 335i, MKII Jetta Diesel, SLAWbuilt MKIV Jetta (RIP).
      03-31-2012 11:13 PM #2
      spark plugs?
      SLAW [Straightline Autowerks]

PM for fender rolling and coilover installs in South Jersey

Vehicles
      24v gas eater, 90 convertible creeper
      03-31-2012 11:58 PM #3
      im having the same problem with mine. i have just a cyl 1 misfire. new plugs and coils, even a new injector. and still have the problem. interested to hear how yours turns out.
      Quote Originally Posted by static.20v View Post
      no respect. dont build a car if you dont intend to drive the **** out of it. its like getting a super hot girlfriend and not ****ing her until shes autistic every night. just sayin'

Vehicles
      04-15-2012 03:32 PM #4
      I just replaced the spark plugs and still no luck. I had tried unplugging the battery before as well thinking it might be an ECU problem or something that might reset.

I honestly dont have the slightest clue this time around. Im puzzled how it just randomly started upon a startup with no prior issues.

5. 04-15-2012 03:39 PM #5
      Check compression

6. 04-17-2012 04:40 PM #6
      Before you replace anything unplug your front oxygen sensors at the firewall. I had my car in the shop and they couldn't figure it out so when I got it back home I tried this and that was the problem.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 10:35 PM #7
      Well guys sorry for being in and out of here. I had originally swapped the coils and reran the codes and was still getting misfires the same cylinders. I later checked manually by unplugging them and found 2 bad coils. So I replaced them and was good for a few days. Now today I start her up and have 8 faults.

P0300
      P0301
      P1364
      p1361
      P1355
      P1358
      p1370
      p1367

doesn't seem to be running as rough, but is still pretty choppy. I'm looking for a little more insight before I get home in the morning

Vehicles
      04-21-2012 05:08 PM #8
      I will try disconnecting my o2 tomorrow and see what that does for me. Havent had a computer available, browsing and posting on a phone is the worst. doing some research on the new codes at home now though.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Jetta GLI, '93 Corrado SLC
      04-27-2012 05:37 PM #9
      Has to be the amplifier. Ignition coils do go bad, but not two at a time by themselves. I've never heard of this problem before, keep us updated.
      -Holmes

People are always surprised that my car smells of crayons

Vehicles
      '04 VF Stg.2 24v GTI VR6, '10 B6 Passat 2.0T, '14 B7 Passat TDI
      04-28-2012 06:37 AM #10
      Sometimes i get missfire codes on my supercharged GTI, and while i replaced new coilpacks and pugs i would still get it sometimes, it happens when Im at wot, cel would blink but go away aftet a few seconds.
      Now, my theory is, my timing its advanced at 1.25 degrees and while on despot 91 oct. It runs lean, or its my lwfw, giving false load reading to the ecu. I asked Jeff from at that time C2 motorsports and he asked me if i had lwfw, and that it would give ecu false load reading or someting like that, cant remember.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 02:51 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Holmes741 View Post
      Has to be the amplifier. Ignition coils do go bad, but not two at a time by themselves. I've never heard of this problem before, keep us updated.
      Amplifier? Sorry, again, Im new to this new of an engine. I just replaced all the spark plugs, and it looks like cylinder 1 has burned up another coil. Swapped it to cyl2 and checked and yep, the coils dead. Now Im no longer getting a constant CEL that flashes on acceleration, but just a flashing CEL on acceleration occasionally. The light goes off though, and Im not able to check the codes for it.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 02:53 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by rajvosa71000 View Post
      Sometimes i get missfire codes on my supercharged GTI, and while i replaced new coilpacks and pugs i would still get it sometimes, it happens when Im at wot, cel would blink but go away aftet a few seconds.
      Now, my theory is, my timing its advanced at 1.25 degrees and while on despot 91 oct. It runs lean, or its my lwfw, giving false load reading to the ecu. I asked Jeff from at that time C2 motorsports and he asked me if i had lwfw, and that it would give ecu false load reading or someting like that, cant remember.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
      lwfw? Although my motor is basically stock so Im not sure if it would pertain to me anyways.