Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 53

    Thread: Bone stock full weight U.S. Golf R goes 13s in the quarter mile

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      03-31-2012 05:58 PM #1
      BARELY!!!

      Since I didn't win Mega Millions last night I decided to go to opening day at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove Wisconsin today. Track conditions were dry, even though it had rained a bunch the night before and misted on the way there this am. Temps were cold, 39 when I got there and 73% humidity. I was only the 15th car when I got there at 930 am. There were probably 75 when I left at 2pm.

      I only practiced launching a few times before going to the track, my car only has 1800 miles on it. 4500rpms seemed to be making the car come out of the hole pretty nicely on the street with just a hint of front tire spin. Things were different at the track with all the rubber and vht on the ground. I wound up having to launch in the 5500-6000 rpm range. Surprisingly the clutch held up just fine the entire time. I wound up making 21 passes in total, almost all of my 60ft times were between 2.0 and 2.2. Never once did I actually "slip" the clutch to the point where the engine revd freely with the clutch all the way out, this clutch held up to some abuse today. I only smelled clutch once or twice and it was after the first couple passes. If you get it just right the car will really come out hard with no bog and no spin, it feels incredible. I imagine this is how launch control feels every time

      Car specs, 2 door R, no sunroof, 6 speed manual(Obviously, its a US car) Completely 100% stock. Stock suspension. Stock Dunlop tires set to 40 psi. No mods whatesoever, stock paper air filter, stock oil etc. nothing has been touched since I took delivery of the car 3 weeks ago. No weight reduction. The full interior was in place, the factory jack, spare tire, tools etc were all in the car, it was completely full weight. When I began the day there was 3/8s of a tank of gas. Unfortunately the scale at the track wasnt working so I couldnt get the weight of the car.

      Pics of time slips are below, I wont bother posting all 21 of them but the first 8 in sequential order leading up to the fastest of the day are listed. They are in order by time of day, the date is wrong, it says April 1 2012 but today is March 31 2012. Keep in mind this was not a pro tree so reaction times are NOT factored into the ET. I was going for good launches not fast reaction times as you'll surely see! Some of the slips are cut in half by the track people because the bracket racers that are practicing don't want you to know their times. My best pass was my 8th pass, 13.95@99.75 mph.

      It would be really nice to have a data logger so I could see what I did for that 13.95 pass because I was not quite able to get there again, lots of 14.0x but no other 13s. I know the 60ft time of 1.980 is what did it but I'd like to know what rpm I launched at. Unfortunately I was alone so I wasn't able to get video proof. There were people taking pictures and videos, hopefully I'll be able to find vids of it on the track website or some midwest racing forums. For now all I have is the time slips. I was car number 415.

      My overall impression of the 14.2 second estimates that car magazines have been giving our car are dead nuts accurate. Thinking in terms of normal street driving conditions and what rpm people are willing to launch at I think 14.2 is on the quick side but still reasonable for a stock Golf R. Removing all excess weight from the car, adding a short shifter and a dogbone mount bushing and installing lighter wheels could get this car consistently in the mid-high 13s with a completely stock engine.
















    2. Member
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2002
      Location
      Keller TX.
      Posts
      365
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-31-2012 06:58 PM #2
      Great info ! I was wondering how accurate the magazines were.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2003
      Posts
      566
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      03-31-2012 07:20 PM #3
      Nice. It's gotta be the no moonroof.

    4. Member Dutchmastr9's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2004
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      17,490
      Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      03-31-2012 07:45 PM #4
      thats pretty quick. good stuff
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

      Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

    5. Member droopy1592's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2002
      Location
      Atlanta/Raleigh
      Posts
      2,538
      Vehicles
      2003 330i, 2004 A4, 2006 GTi, 2008 R32, 2012 RB Golf R, 2013 S4
      03-31-2012 10:32 PM #5
      Goddamn! 21 launches from 4000-5500 rpm. How the hell are people losing clutches already?
      In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun living with it every day. - Jeremy Clarkson

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 7th, 2008
      Location
      NC
      Posts
      146
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI dsg
      03-31-2012 11:14 PM #6
      well done... its annoying that stage 2 cars are hitting low 12s overseas with that dsg.

    7. Member droopy1592's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2002
      Location
      Atlanta/Raleigh
      Posts
      2,538
      Vehicles
      2003 330i, 2004 A4, 2006 GTi, 2008 R32, 2012 RB Golf R, 2013 S4
      03-31-2012 11:45 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
      well done... its annoying that stage 2 cars are hitting low 12s overseas with that dsg.
      And they like to rub it in.
      In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun living with it every day. - Jeremy Clarkson

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      03-31-2012 11:56 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by droopy1592 View Post
      And they like to rub it in.
      Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
      well done... its annoying that stage 2 cars are hitting low 12s overseas with that dsg.
      Somebodys gotta fight the good fight. Wait til I'm stage 2

    9. Member droopy1592's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2002
      Location
      Atlanta/Raleigh
      Posts
      2,538
      Vehicles
      2003 330i, 2004 A4, 2006 GTi, 2008 R32, 2012 RB Golf R, 2013 S4
      04-01-2012 07:12 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Somebodys gotta fight the good fight. Wait til I'm stage 2
      The manuals are still about .8 sec behind
      In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun living with it every day. - Jeremy Clarkson

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2003
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      1,738
      Vehicles
      2008 FSI DSG GTI Autobahn Votex Kit
      04-01-2012 07:23 AM #10
      nice runs, great to finally see some 1320 figures. 21 passes, wow you were having fun hu.

      its about as quick as a MK IV R32 at the strip

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      04-01-2012 02:24 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by droopy1592 View Post
      The manuals are still about .8 sec behind
      Please show me proof that a 100% stock, full weight, DSG equipped R can run a 13.15 because I can't seem to find the proof for myself.

      Thanks

    12. Member droopy1592's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2002
      Location
      Atlanta/Raleigh
      Posts
      2,538
      Vehicles
      2003 330i, 2004 A4, 2006 GTi, 2008 R32, 2012 RB Golf R, 2013 S4
      04-01-2012 02:50 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Please show me proof that a 100% stock, full weight, DSG equipped R can run a 13.15 because I can't seem to find the proof for myself.

      Thanks
      You didn't read my post in context. THe post I was quoting was talking about stage 2. Stage 2 DSGs do about 12.2-12.4. Manual stage 2s will still be about a second behind, at about 13.2 or so.
      In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun living with it every day. - Jeremy Clarkson

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2003
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      1,207
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 2-Door
      04-01-2012 02:54 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Please show me proof that a 100% stock, full weight, DSG equipped R can run a 13.15 because I can't seem to find the proof for myself.

      Thanks
      It can't. He's referring to full bolt-on DSG cars vs. manual. And even then .8 is stretching it.

    14. Member droopy1592's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2002
      Location
      Atlanta/Raleigh
      Posts
      2,538
      Vehicles
      2003 330i, 2004 A4, 2006 GTi, 2008 R32, 2012 RB Golf R, 2013 S4
      04-01-2012 02:57 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by UncannySkill View Post
      It can't. He's referring to full bolt-on DSG cars vs. manual. And even then .8 is stretching it.
      Yeah that's a rough ass launch.
      In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun living with it every day. - Jeremy Clarkson

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      04-01-2012 03:09 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by UncannySkill View Post
      It can't. He's referring to full bolt-on DSG cars vs. manual. And even then .8 is stretching it.
      I guess well have to wait until I have full bolt-ons because no one that is currently 2+ in the U.S. seems to want to go to the drag strip. Oh well I will enjoy being the first!

      Edit: It seems odd to me that no one in the ROW has taken a stock R to the drag strip and posted info about it online.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2003
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      1,738
      Vehicles
      2008 FSI DSG GTI Autobahn Votex Kit
      04-02-2012 02:47 PM #16
      its nice that we finally have a time for this car, quite surprised it took so long before someone posted a 1/4m time.

      Another surprising this is that its running no quicker than the previous R32 models at the strip. I know it outperform those cars in every other category and is easier/cheaper to get more power. Just saying its no quicker than my old MK IV R32

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2003
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      1,207
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 2-Door
      04-02-2012 03:21 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by R32ManiaK View Post
      its nice that we finally have a time for this car, quite surprised it took so long before someone posted a 1/4m time.

      Another surprising this is that its running no quicker than the previous R32 models at the strip. I know it outperform those cars in every other category and is easier/cheaper to get more power. Just saying its no quicker than my old MK IV R32
      It's also rolling on crappy all-seasons vs summer tires on the R32.

    18. Junior Member cotnballs2000's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2011
      Location
      Falcon, CO (7240ft above sea level)
      Posts
      60
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2013 HD Street Glide
      04-02-2012 03:23 PM #18
      What ever you take off your 60ft time takes double off your ET. Meaning if you shave off .2 tenths off your 60 ft time it takes off .4 tenths off your ET. You should be in the sub 1.9 60ft times in a AWD car with good track conditions with just a little practice. You should always stage and launch the same or pay attention to the changes you are doing. Remember ET is traction and MPH equals horsepower. You can drop your ET without increasing your MPH very much.

    19. Member KPgolfR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2012
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      252
      Vehicles
      2012 golf r , 2011 Jetta se, 1990 gti
      04-02-2012 03:32 PM #19
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ivjrVuGrcU

      only got to do 2 runs. really hard to launch. first run was a 14.2 second 13.7. i know i can do better if i could get the launch down. haldex controller should be here next week hopefully. Then im heading back out. mods are bsh intake throttle body and intercooler, Scorpion exhaust turbo back. i have a fully loaded 4 door 279 awhp and 320 torque




      Last edited by KPgolfR; 04-02-2012 at 03:40 PM.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      04-02-2012 03:47 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by cotnballs2000 View Post
      What ever you take off your 60ft time takes double off your ET. Meaning if you shave off .2 tenths off your 60 ft time it takes off .4 tenths off your ET. You should be in the sub 1.9 60ft times in a AWD car with good track conditions with just a little practice. You should always stage and launch the same or pay attention to the changes you are doing. Remember ET is traction and MPH equals horsepower. You can drop your ET without increasing your MPH very much.
      Trust me, there is no way this car will 60ft faster than the 1.98 I got. I challenge anyone on here with a stock R to beat that. The car is just too heavy. My 91 Talon was a different story, big clutch, low weight, side step it from 6000 and it would get 1.8s all day long. I doubt many people are willing to do what I did to their clutch.

      Its easy to say "You should always stage and launch the same or pay attention to the changes you are doing" but its much much harder to actually do this. Plus to launch under boost without a two step you have to blip the throttle which makes it a little difficult to know from which rpm you actually launch.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      04-02-2012 03:51 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by BSHR View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ivjrVuGrcU

      only got to do 2 runs. really hard to launch. first run was a 14.2 second 13.7. i know i can do better if i could get the launch down. haldex controller should be here next week hopefully. Then im heading back out. mods are bsh intake throttle body and intercooler, Scorpion exhaust turbo back. i have a fully loaded 4 door 279 awhp and 320 torque
      Nice to see some more times showing up. I have to say though, if I'm stuck at 13.7 with stage 2+ this car will be up for sale. I'll be really surprised/upset if I cant hit high 12s with stage 2+.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 27th, 2012
      Location
      Niagara Area, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      453
      Vehicles
      Lurking....Maybe Golf R?
      04-02-2012 04:14 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Nice to see some more times showing up. I have to say though, if I'm stuck at 13.7 with stage 2+ this car will be up for sale. I'll be really surprised/upset if I cant hit high 12s with stage 2+.
      Well if you can't get high 12's...maybe the limiting factor is yourself and not the car. It doesn't drive itself so it won't be 100% consistent.
      "A car is just fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it" Walter Rohrl

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      04-02-2012 04:19 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by betterthansx View Post
      Well if you can't get high 12's...maybe the limiting factor is yourself and not the car. It doesn't drive itself so it won't be 100% consistent.
      Obviously I wont be 100% consistent, nothing/no one is. I'm pretty sure I wont be the limiting factor if the car is stuck at 13.7 though.

    24. 04-02-2012 05:07 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Trust me, there is no way this car will 60ft faster than the 1.98 I got. I challenge anyone on here with a stock R to beat that. The car is just too heavy. My 91 Talon was a different story, big clutch, low weight, side step it from 6000 and it would get 1.8s all day long. I doubt many people are willing to do what I did to their clutch.

      Its easy to say "You should always stage and launch the same or pay attention to the changes you are doing" but its much much harder to actually do this. Plus to launch under boost without a two step you have to blip the throttle which makes it a little difficult to know from which rpm you actually launch.
      This car should definitely be able to get under a 1.9 60ft time. There are ~300awhp EVO X's and STIs that are making anywhere from 1.6-1.8 60fts. With equivalent power, it should not be an issue. the Evo X is HEAVY

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      04-02-2012 05:16 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastjettin View Post
      This car should definitely be able to get under a 1.9 60ft time. There are ~300awhp EVO X's and STIs that are making anywhere from 1.6-1.8 60fts. With equivalent power, it should not be an issue. the Evo X is HEAVY
      With equivalent power sure, not with the stock 256 though.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2003
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      1,738
      Vehicles
      2008 FSI DSG GTI Autobahn Votex Kit
      04-03-2012 01:15 AM #26
      you should be ablee to get you 60ft ets lower, if you can do it in stock MK IV R32, no reason you cant do better than 2.1 in the Golf R. The R haldex is better than the MK IV's correct? more traction? what about the tires.

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      04-03-2012 08:10 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by R32ManiaK View Post
      you should be ablee to get you 60ft ets lower, if you can do it in stock MK IV R32, no reason you cant do better than 2.1 in the Golf R. The R haldex is better than the MK IV's correct? more traction? what about the tires.
      It can and did get under 2.1, it got numerous 2.0s and a 1.98. That is very different than 1.6-1.8 though. I don't think the issue is not enough traction, its too much traction. If the car had the power to spin a little and stay in boost it could pull much better times. An MKIV can pull faster 60ft's because it has more low end torque that pulls it out of the hole.

    28. Junior Member cotnballs2000's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2011
      Location
      Falcon, CO (7240ft above sea level)
      Posts
      60
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2013 HD Street Glide
      04-03-2012 12:22 PM #28
      Then adjust your tire pressure to get more spin, even street tires will respond to pressure changes at the track. I've did a fair bit a drag racing and got pointers from guys like PRA champs that have way more experience than me. I was pulling 1.8 and 1.7s in my 1960 turbo charged VW Beetle street car with regular all season radials after some practice. I just had adjustable QA1 Corvette shocks in the back and 90/10 in the front. I started out with around 2.1 and with little tweaks to my launch etc (rpm launch adjustments, tire pressure changes etc) started cutting down my 60ft times. It is hard at first to pay attentions to the details but that what makes you get better. You must have a process and follow it ever time you get in line. I checked tire pressure while waiting in line. I paid attention to what lane was faster and where the best groove was. I staged the light the same and brought my rpms up, preloaded the gear and used the E-brake to keep me from rolling. We will not even talk about cutting a good light at this time because we are just worried about ET right now. You just can't line up to the light and floor the car when the light turns green and expect the car to do the best it can, you have to learn to manipulate the machine.
      Last edited by cotnballs2000; 04-03-2012 at 12:30 PM.

    29. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2003
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      1,738
      Vehicles
      2008 FSI DSG GTI Autobahn Votex Kit
      04-03-2012 11:36 PM #29
      I remember back in 04/05 the guys were upping tire pressure o n stock R32,s so they would not bog and were getting decent 60ft times. I never did run the 1320 but i did a few parking lot autox sessions at UCF here in central Florida. Tire pressure change should help those 60ft times and for the times that you were able to get 1.9 60ft times should yield some lower 13s. This car should be faster than a R32 at the strip.

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 6th, 2004
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      2,398
      Vehicles
      2015 STI (Ice Silver Metallic)
      04-12-2012 09:37 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      It can and did get under 2.1, it got numerous 2.0s and a 1.98. That is very different than 1.6-1.8 though. I don't think the issue is not enough traction, its too much traction. If the car had the power to spin a little and stay in boost it could pull much better times. An MKIV can pull faster 60ft's because it has more low end torque that pulls it out of the hole.
      Too much traction? If you are launching fine and going to redline then you should be in the sweet spot of the k04 on the next shift. You will be able to hit between 1.6-1.8 with proper tires, track conditions, and launch with more practice.

    31. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2004
      Location
      Oviedo, Fl
      Posts
      2,161
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi Q5 3.0T S-Line, 2012 Golf R , 2013 Touareg VR6 (Wife's)
      09-03-2012 10:37 PM #31
      Can we add launch control/2 step to our cars?

      Scott
      2012 Golf R APR Stage 3 [forged internals, APR ported head, balance shaft delete] (11.63 @ 121.2 mph on 100 tune)
      2013 Audi Q5 3.0T S-Line APR Stage 2+ (12.637 @ 107.63 mph on 93 tune) SOLD
      2014 Golf TDI 6spd man APR Tune. 40+ mpg avg Best tank = 54.5 mpg @ 741 miles

    32. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      09-03-2012 10:51 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by scottisha View Post
      Can we add launch control/2 step to our cars?

      Scott
      There is talk of this in some other threads. As far as I have seen United Motorsports is working on a 2 step option for their tune. I don't know if they have stage 1, 1+, 2, 2+ tunes though. I plan on going straight from stock to stage 2++ when I mod the motor. I also don't know if anyone has tried using a WOT box from an MKV on an R yet. I am willing to try this if I can get my hands on one. I have not done any research yet but when the weather finally cools off here in the midwest I will probably be back in the drag racing mood and looking for ways to go faster.

    33. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2010
      Location
      Madison, WI
      Posts
      705
      Vehicles
      '13 Golf .:R, '14 Mazda 6, '13 Star Raider SCL
      09-04-2012 12:27 AM #33
      Atl;
      Dude! Have I ever seen you on the street yet? (E. Wash?) Lookin for someone to run with. Never ran a "R" yet.
      I have the SB GTI with Accumoto decals on the side.
      2010 Mk6 GTI DSG SB; APR K04, Carbonio 1 & 2, UR catted/resonated DP, Eurojet FMIC, Billy Boat cat back Uni DSG flash 313 WHP!. Traded for;
      2013 .:R! Traded for:
      2014 Mazda6 GTs

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,056
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      09-04-2012 01:17 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by davesxx01 View Post
      Atl;
      Dude! Have I ever seen you on the street yet? (E. Wash?) Lookin for someone to run with. Never ran a "R" yet.
      I have the SB GTI with Accumoto decals on the side.
      I don't think I have seen you on the street. Are you the guy that was selling the Volk wheels a while back? I spend a fair amount of time on the East side and I drive a ton all over Madison, I have put 11,000 miles on my R since March. I used to have a white MKV GTI with tinted windows, black wheels, roof rack etc. I sold it to my buddy who works at the Trek Store on the east side. Check out my build thread to see what my car looks like right now so you can try to spot me. I'd love to meet up, send me a pm and we can figure something out.

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 28th, 2004
      Location
      Wstchstr Cnty, NY
      Posts
      12,555
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      09-04-2012 09:04 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by R32ManiaK View Post
      I remember back in 04/05 the guys were upping tire pressure o n stock R32,s so they would not bog and were getting decent 60ft times...
      A lot of guys were pumping up the stock Goodyear F1 GS-D3s to between 45 and 50psi in order to get a tiny bit of AWD wheelspin at the launch. The guys that were getting a little AWD wheelspin were able to hook-up deeper into the powerband than the guys with normal traction.

      --Chuck--

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •