Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Initial Impressions - 2007 Honda VFR800 Interceptor (Long)

Vehicles
      92 Corrado, 05 Volvo S40, 94 Honda VFR750F Interceptor
      04-10-2012 12:27 PM #36
      I have (2) 94 VFR's that have been good to me. I had the usual rectifier issue in one but all and all they're great bikes. I have been wanting to upgrade to a 25th anniversary edition or RC51. Don't think I'd pick up a new VFR1200, the design is so uninspired.

2. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi TT Roadster, 2014 VW Jetta GLI, 1992 Corrado VR6 S/C, 2001 Honda VFR800
      04-10-2012 02:44 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
      That's disappointing.
      It is disappointing. I was really, really bummed and sold my Triumph after only a year (and 4300 miles).

The only good thing about Triumph is they have a cool name and logo and their t-shirts are awesome. I happen to be wearing mine now, which was the only good part of my Triumph motorcycle purchase.

So, in closing, save your money and just buy a Triumph tshirt.
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      04-10-2012 05:00 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony@VMG View Post
      It is disappointing. I was really, really bummed and sold my Triumph after only a year (and 4300 miles).

The only good thing about Triumph is they have a cool name and logo and their t-shirts are awesome. I happen to be wearing mine now, which was the only good part of my Triumph motorcycle purchase.

So, in closing, save your money and just buy a Triumph tshirt.
      To be fair Anthony, you are one of the very few people I've heard of who does not like Triumph. In retrospect I should thank you for my VFR experience as when I was cross shopping it against the Sprint you told me to steer clear.

But now I have Triumph lust again. . .

4. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi TT Roadster, 2014 VW Jetta GLI, 1992 Corrado VR6 S/C, 2001 Honda VFR800
      04-10-2012 05:14 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
      To be fair Anthony, you are one of the very few people I've heard of who does not like Triumph. In retrospect I should thank you for my VFR experience as when I was cross shopping it against the Sprint you told me to steer clear.

But now I have Triumph lust again. . .
      I can understand lusting for one - they are cool bikes. However, they are not built well and honestly, they feel "cheap". The Honda seems to have amazingly good fit and finish, and the build quality seems on par with BMW.

The Sprint took about 7-10 seconds to start in the morning. The heat coming off the fairings was unbearable - it would cook your leg big time. The rear cowl over the exhaust bubbled from the exhaust getting so hot and had to be replaced. The front springs in the fork were so soft that whenever you braked, the bike would nose dive and fall on its knees. It is so bad that if you brake hard and it is night, you will loose all visibility from your headlight since it will then be pointing at the ground.

With all of that said, it sounded phenominal and the engine had gobs of power. It was also butter smooth.

For the cost of the Sprint, there are many other alternatives I would consider (K1300, VFR1200, Ninja 1000, etc).

- Anthony
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-10-2012 07:50 PM #40
      I can understand lusting for one - they are cool bikes. However, they are not built well and honestly, they feel "cheap". The Honda seems to have amazingly good fit and finish, and the build quality seems on par with BMW.

The Sprint took about 7-10 seconds to start in the morning. The heat coming off the fairings was unbearable - it would cook your leg big time. The rear cowl over the exhaust bubbled from the exhaust getting so hot and had to be replaced. The front springs in the fork were so soft that whenever you braked, the bike would nose dive and fall on its knees. It is so bad that if you brake hard and it is night, you will loose all visibility from your headlight since it will then be pointing at the ground.

With all of that said, it sounded phenominal and the engine had gobs of power. It was also butter smooth.
      I wonder if this is a case of "inconsistent quality" versus just poor quality. Guy here at university has an ST with nearly 25k miles on it, so far very few problems. He said he did upgrade the suspension, but other than that nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '99 rapevan, '03 sv1000, '0? ttr90, '14 grom, '03 sv650 track, '04 nsr50
      04-11-2012 11:17 AM #41
      Clutch: The K1200S had a very top-loaded clutch, so you barely had to pull in the clutch lever to shift gears. I also thought this just needed to be adjusted, but it was designed this way so you could fire off crazy fast gear changes - and let me tell you, it worked. It took some getting used to on the VFR to pull the clutch lever in further to change gears, and it's definitely a bit slower, but I'm getting use to it. Both are hydraulic wet clutches, and both have good feel.
      you're not hurting anything by skipping the clutch altogether on upshifts. And you gain shift speed. Just preload the shifter, reduce the throttle a hair, and it will click into the next gear. Lightning fast.
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

7. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-11-2012 01:11 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      I wonder if this is a case of "inconsistent quality" versus just poor quality. Guy here at university has an ST with nearly 25k miles on it, so far very few problems. He said he did upgrade the suspension, but other than that nothing.
      Possibly, or some other people just don't have the same expectations I have, which may very well be the case. However, the Triumph went above and beyond what anyone should consider normal quirks.

You may be right, it may be inconsistent quality rather than poor quality, but those two kind of go hand in hand together. Not worth taking the chance for what is an expensive motorcycle compared to the Japanese counterparts.

- Anthony
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta SportWagen SEL, 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1978 Honda Hawk CB400
      04-17-2012 01:48 PM #43
      I kind of regret reading this. I now want to own-or at least ride-a VFR. Even caught myself searching CL a couple times.

Anthony, question about your opinion on price/value of these things. I've read that there is an opinion that the VFR was overpriced for what it is and that price has held in the used market. I've seen some used examples of Gen6's locally for < $6k. One '02 was advertised at $2400. Which for this market, this early in the season seems like a pretty good deal.

Some seem to think these are BMW wannabees. Fit, finish, technology and the like are on par and hence the pricing.

Others seem to think they are niche, almost cult bikes, hence the pricing.

Still others say it is heavy, slow, and therefore totally undesirable compared to the more true sport-bikes.

What's your read?

I imagine everything is relative. I see you're an ex BMW owner. I, on the other hand, typically buy cheap bikes nobody else wants. (I am on my 2nd Suzuki now.)

9. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-18-2012 09:55 AM #44
      I kind of regret reading this. I now want to own-or at least ride-a VFR. Even caught myself searching CL a couple times.
      The first time I rode one I said it feels way underpowered and wasn't crazy impressed, although I still did like it. After being on one for almost a month now, I like the bike more and more every day. It handles amazingly well and is so much fun to take through the twisties. As long as you keep the revs higher, it has plenty of power. Just don't expect the torque of a 1098/1198 Ducati or the K1200/K1300 BMWs.

Anthony, question about your opinion on price/value of these things. I've read that there is an opinion that the VFR was overpriced for what it is and that price has held in the used market. I've seen some used examples of Gen6's locally for < $6k. One '02 was advertised at $2400. Which for this market, this early in the season seems like a pretty good deal.
      If you get a Gen 6, I'd likely go for an '06 or above if possible. There were a lot of revisions in 06 to the VTEC system and I'm told it's not nearly as "harsh" as it was on the 02-05 models. Cosmetically you also get a tinted windscreen and tinted front turn signals. According to my Haynes manual, the fast idle wax unit on the throttle body was replaced by an intake air control valve, and the fuel injection system (ECM and injectors) were taken from the CBR1000, which increased fuel economy.

However, for $2,400 for an '02, that seems pretty decent, however who knows the history/story on the bike.

Some seem to think these are BMW wannabees. Fit, finish, technology and the like are on par and hence the pricing.
      I have no complaint with the fit and finish. Everything is assembled well and the quality seems top notch. My K1200S fairings would always squeak, but the VFR is dead quiet.

Others seem to think they are niche, almost cult bikes, hence the pricing.
      I can see that, too. Values on the VFR percentage wise are much higher than the K1200S.

Still others say it is heavy, slow, and therefore totally undesirable compared to the more true sport-bikes.
      I woudn't call it heavy, as it's lighter than the K1200S and Sprint ST, but yes, it's not as light as a race-rep. It would be much more desirable to be on the VFR for a day on the streets than a CBR.

- Anthony
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04-18-2012 10:29 PM #45
      Guy at work has a VFR. I always thought it was an 800, but discovered the other day it is actually a 750. Older than I thought too. I tell you, like the Hawk GT, those VFR750's have a pretty timeless look to them. You don't realize how old they actually are.

Very cool.

I wonder how a VFR800 or even a 750 would fare as a weekend toy for someone not that serious about sport bikes. Maybe a little track-day action now and again, plus some commuting when the spirit moves.

I think I've come to the conclusion that my life is incomplete with just one bike. Any self respecting, successful man must have at least two!

I dig that V4 sound.
      Hell, I dig the V4 just 'cause its unique.
      I dig Hondas, always have.
      I rode a CBR once. Hated it. Torture rack, not fer me.
      I was hot for an ST1300 for a while. Have a strange fetish for bikes that are used as cop-bikes.
      I hate bikes with crappy range. My 'strom with its nearly 300 mile range has me spoiled.
      Love bikes with available factory hard-bags.

Ah, it's fun to dream a little now and then. Couple 4th gen 750's on CL right now. Gotta love that CL..

11. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-19-2012 04:35 PM #46
      Guy at work has a VFR. I always thought it was an 800, but discovered the other day it is actually a 750. Older than I thought too. I tell you, like the Hawk GT, those VFR750's have a pretty timeless look to them. You don't realize how old they actually are.
      It is not quite 800cc, it is 782cc.
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 08:56 AM #47
      I wonder how a VFR800 or even a 750 would fare as a weekend toy for someone not that serious about sport bikes. Maybe a little track-day action now and again, plus some commuting when the spirit moves.
      Pretty much what is was made for

I dig that V4 sound.
      Just ordered a new exhaust, am extremely excited to open her up.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      04-20-2012 09:13 AM #48
      His is a VFR750, the predecessor the the VFR800. Talking model names here, not actual displacements.

After some googling I think it is a 90-93 or 'gen3'. Need to corner the guy and ask for sure... and steal his keys!

14. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      04-20-2012 10:03 AM #49
      His is a VFR750, the predecessor the the VFR800. Talking model names here, not actual displacements.

After some googling I think it is a 90-93 or 'gen3'. Need to corner the guy and ask for sure... and steal his keys!
      During those model years there were three body colors and a few wheel colors that will indicate which model year the bike was made. 1990 was the first year of the single-sided swing arm that was derived from the Honda RC51. I remember seeing both of those bikes brand new on our showroom where I worked in kollege.

15. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-20-2012 10:39 AM #50
      Just ordered a new exhaust, am extremely excited to open her up.
      Which one did you get? I love the way the factory exhaust looks, and I haven't been able to find an aftermarket exhaust that flows as well as the factory one.
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 10:45 AM #51
      Which one did you get? I love the way the factory exhaust looks, and I haven't been able to find an aftermarket exhaust that flows as well as the factory one.
      Leo Vince Evo II SBK.

I didn't want to change out the factory either as I love the way it looks, however the exhaust looks sharp, and I want more noise, and less weight. They have both aluminum and carbon fiber. I went with AL as it was $200 cheaper and there is no real weight difference:

17. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-20-2012 11:06 AM #52
      That actually looks really good. I'd be interested to hear your impressions on the exhaust.

Where did you pick it up?
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

18. Member
      Vehicles
      04-20-2012 11:31 AM #53
      Can't the factory pipe be .. uh .. 'modified'?

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 12:26 PM #54
      That actually looks really good. I'd be interested to hear your impressions on the exhaust.

Where did you pick it up?
      I called a few places, IndySuperbikes had it backordered; ended up ordering from a placed called Rocky Mountain ATV; found them on Amazon. $540 w/free three day shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba
      Yes, but it doesn't do much for weight savings; and the Leo's come with removable baffles for picnic with the wife or full out hoon rides.

20. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-20-2012 01:54 PM #55
      That looks really good.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 03:09 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      That looks really good.
      Will post pics when I get them on (though it should look exactly like that)

22. Member
      Vehicles
      04-20-2012 04:45 PM #57
      Please post video... with audio of course.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      04-20-2012 05:17 PM #58
      Yes, with a hole saw and dremel. And it sounds great. I'm not worried about weight, the bike is a porker to begin with. The exhaust has 4 outlet ports, I hole-sawed 2 of them and it sounds awesome. May do the other two this weekend.

Not my clip, a guy who replies says that this was a full gut but I could have sworn reading on the VFR forum that this was the drilled mod

-Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Vehicles
      04-21-2012 04:15 PM #59
      This is what I'm hoping for.

I've read they drop anywhere from 10 - 14 pounds. The VFR is a porker but the location of that weight should make a big difference in turn-to-turn situations.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 05:04 PM #60
      Somewhere on youtoob I found a really sweet video of a guy just tearing it up on a VFR. I can't remember if it was a 750 or an 800. But the video was of the guy's back as he was ripping up a canyon run somewhere. At the beginning of the video the guy drops it down two gears before giving it the beans.

That sound was magical.

Wish to hell I could find that video now.

26. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-22-2012 01:47 PM #61
      Spinnaker - did you remove the snorkel and unplug the flapper from the airbox? I was shocked at the drastic sound change just from doing that.

When I was on a ride yesterday I was passed by a guy on the exact same bike as mine. I was on the shoulder trying to get cell reception to see where the hell I was, and he drove by. I didn't realize it was the same bike as it was approaching, because the headlights look different than I expected. I also noticed this amazing sound, and then when he was right in front of me, I was like "hey! that's my bike!"

However, he was running the factory exhaust, so I am positive he gutted it, because it was considerably louder than mine. If it sounds that good with a gutted exhaust, I can only imagine how good it sounds with the leo vince.

Once someone buys my Remus Hexacone that I had leftover from my BMW, I will then purchase the Leo Vince SBK Evo II with the conical endcaps. I think it's the best looking aftermarket exhaust that I have seen for the VFR.

I will miss the theme from the four headlights and the four exhaust outlets, but I'll deal with it to get more of that sound.

I now have put about 500 miles on the bike since I purchased it, and while this was the least expensive motorcycle I have owned, it is quickly becoming the most fun and one of my favorites.

- Anthony
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

27. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      04-22-2012 03:01 PM #62
      I for One am happy to see how this thread is turning out. As a point of record I remember SOMEONE close to him pointing out that he (Anthony) would probably enjoy owning an Interceptor at some point. As wisdom coming from someone slightly older (but much better looking and far more experienced) often gets dismissed this was shrugged off... And yet here we are.

28. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 10:39 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@VWvortex View Post
      I for One am happy to see how this thread is turning out. As a point of record I remember SOMEONE close to him pointing out that he (Anthony) would probably enjoy owning an Interceptor at some point. As wisdom coming from someone slightly older (but much better looking and far more experienced) often gets dismissed this was shrugged off... And yet here we are.
      Hah.

I have always liked the VFR, just never came across one. But yes, you did suggest the VFR to me many years ago! So thanks, Paulie.
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      04-23-2012 11:11 AM #64
      OMG, a sense of humor.

Still really liking the diversity of views in this thread.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-23-2012 01:00 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      OMG, a sense of humor.

Still really liking the diversity of views in this thread.
      This thread has bumped an older generation VFR up higher on my list of "distance" bikes to look at come cheap-price-season. Definitely not going to buy one just when the season is ramping up!
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 09:45 AM #66
      It's on!

Install took me four hours, which is probably on the long side but I had a b*tch of a time getting it aligned properly and was working solo in an unlit garage with a headlamp.

Fired it up with the baffles in, listened about three seconds then took them out.

What a difference that made.

The tone of this exhaust is a perfect fit to the VFR's character. The VFR is a sophisticated gentlemen's sport bike ; and this is a deep, mellow, not obnoxiously loud but uniquely noticeable tune.

May do a Dyno tune next to tie it all together!

32. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 11:15 AM #67
      I love it from the rear - not sure about the side profile. The factory exhaust just flows so well with the bike!

This is just a rear section exhaust, right?
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 11:59 AM #68
      I love it from the rear - not sure about the side profile. The factory exhaust just flows so well with the bike!

This is just a rear section exhaust, right?
      It's a cat back, the side profile actually looks really nice. The bling of the stock exhaust never really flowed with the bike, the matte finish of the aluminum matches the frame/wheels better.

34. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 02:40 PM #69
      Maybe I just need to see a better photo in better light.

Did it not come with those huge stickers on the mufflers? Some systems have it, others don't. I think it looks much cleaner with the stickers removed.

You said it took 4 hours - was it complicated, or just a lot of time perfecting it?
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 03:15 PM #70
      Maybe I just need to see a better photo in better light.

Did it not come with those huge stickers on the mufflers? Some systems have it, others don't. I think it looks much cleaner with the stickers removed.

You said it took 4 hours - was it complicated, or just a lot of time perfecting it?
      The stickers come separate in the box, so they are optional to add.

Getting the stock exhaust off is basically three bolts. The seat, rear fairing, and fender have to be removed. Figuring out how it goes together is intuitive, getting it all lined up was a pain, especially the right can. I was also not at home so had to spend time hunting around for tools.

Done during the day, with light, and your allen keys/ratchet set near at hand shouldn't take more than 2.5 hours. Less if you have someone to help line it up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast