Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You are what you eat, America

1. 04-01-2012 04:53 AM #1
      High fructose corn syrup ("corn sugar") — mercury (from "mercury-grade" ingredients such as caustic soda)

Many types of fish — mercury (from coal plants exempted from Bush anti-mercury regulation)

Chicken and eggs — roxarsone (arsenic chemical added to feed)

Many different foods, water — arsenic (manure from arsenic-tainted chickens used to make fertilizer, and spread as manure)

Brown rice syrup — arsenic (from cotton production pollution)

The Obama family garden? — lead from toxic sludge

Apple and grape juices — arsenic and lead (from cotton production pollution, apple/fruit production which used lead arsenate)

Cheese (especially processed) — aluminum, quite a lot

So-called caramel coloring — toxic, not from actual caramel either (used in soda and other products)

Pickles — aluminum, high-fructose corn syrup

Baking powder — aluminum (most of them, but not Rumford)

Cake mixes — aluminum (baking powder and bleached flour), trans fat, dyes, salt

Chocolate mixes — aluminum maltol

Coffee whiteners — aluminum

Doughs — aluminum

Self-rising flour — aluminum

Store baked goods — aluminum, trans fat, dyes

Farmed salmon — PCBs, dyes

Many processed foods, especially foods for children — dyes (linked to hyperactivity and allergies)

Imitation butter (such as on popcorn) — lung damage

Can liners, processed food paper, plastic bottles — BPA (bisphenol-A)

Computers/electronics, and many other items — flame retardants that end up ingested/absorbed

Clothing, cookware, furniture — Teflon (ends up absorbed by the body)

Flash-baked/fried processed foods like chips — acrylamide

Stevia/Rebiana/Truvia — potential DNA damage from stevioside/rebaudioside Stevia extracts

Acesulfame-K — cancer

Saccharine — cancer

Splenda — trichlorosucrose (an organochloride that, despite the false claims, is digested and absorbed)

Milk — mucous (from over-milking), antibiotics, growth hormone (rBGH especially)

Up to 97 different pesticides used — hot peppers

Up to 57 different pesticides used in a single mixture — peaches

Pesticide residues — many fruits and vegetables

High-fructose corn syrup — fructose content

Blue agave — excessive fructose

Fat-free chips — Olestra (beyond causing "anal leakage", it strips the body of carotenoids)

Processed foods/restaurant foods — vast quantities of salt, usually lacking iodine to save pennies

Soda — benzoic acid preservative linked to toxic benzene production, dyes, HFCS, "caramel" colorant, BPA, bromine (added to make cloudy appearance)

Rice — arsenic; ours may be the most arsenical in the world

Processed meats
      — nitrates/nitrites, salt, carcinogenic dyes

Potential or alleged problems:

Soy protein isolate — aluminum, nitrites, phytoestrogens, ... also hexane

GMO products, like soy, with pesticide genes — long-term impact of pesticide-producing genes poorly studied, GMO gene proliferation

Canola oil — allegedly a chemical that reduces vitamin E (strong supporting documentation needed)

Xylitol — tumors (I have found little literature on this, but I did find some)

Unknown impact:

Iced cream — some (such as Breyers double-churned) contain fish-style antifreeze

Potentially bad cooking/production practice, over-consumption:

Burnt bread/starch items — carcinogenic chemicals, acrylamide

Oxalic acid — parsley, spinach, rhubarb, chives, amaranth, cassava, purslane

Phytic acid — brazil nuts, cocoa powder, oats, almonds, walnuts, peanuts, brown rice, lentils, yams

Saponins — soap-like chemicals found in quinoa and elsewhere, causes red blood cells to die

Lectins— chemicals in beans (mainly) that cause the stomach lining to be destroyed ("leaky gut")

Maltitol — up to strong headache (in addition to the usual gastro-intestinal issues)

Bad faith:

Processed beef — pink slime

High fructose corn syrup — renamed "corn sugar"

Trans fat — hidden with food labeling loopholes (serving size abused to claim 0 grams)

Aluminum in cheese products — not labeled

Mercury in HFCS — another mercury-free manufacturing alternative existed, yet nothing was done to protect or inform the public

Roxarsone in chicken/egg production — usage not on food label

"Sea salt" on food labels — confuses consumers into thinking it's healthy, when in fact it's cheaper to produce because it lacks iodine

Many many names for MSG on food labels — confuses consumers who want to avoid it

Allowing "natural" and other meaningless words on food labels — confuses consumers

and many more examples

2. 04-01-2012 04:55 AM #2
      Don't eat anything!

Everything we eat will kill us!

Copy! Paste!

O_G, you're such a/an _____________

O_G, why are you so _____________

Do you have a chart for that?

I'm dumb, look at me! Hey hey hey.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully, now that I've gotten the usual responses out of the way, we can focus on the topic. Eh?

Vehicles
      2006 GLI, Bugatti Veyron SS
      04-01-2012 04:57 AM #3
      why are you so annoying you are such a douche
      A great man

4. 04-01-2012 05:00 AM #4
      Sometimes there just aren't adequate words to use in reaction to posts like that. The word stupid certainly doesn't cover it. It's euphemistic. But, I appreciate the support. You could hardly have provided a better demonstration of exactly what I was talking about.

Here are some links I forgot to put in:

anti-nutrients in plants
      http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...ants-bite-back

pesticide residues
      http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplici...-the-clean-15/

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 05:06 AM #5
      You are awesome
      A great man

6. 04-01-2012 05:09 AM #6
      No beer on that list. I'm safe.

04-01-2012 05:16 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by O_G View Post
      Don't eat anything!

Everything we eat will kill us!

Copy! Paste!

O_G, you're such a/an _____________

O_G, why are you so _____________

Do you have a chart for that?

I'm dumb, look at me! Hey hey hey.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully, now that I've gotten the usual responses out of the way, we can focus on the topic. Eh?
      so what do you propose? sounds like the only option is for everyone to raise their own food and livestock.

you post stupid **** without offering the alternative.

Vehicles
      Miata, Miata
      04-01-2012 05:25 AM #8
      **** it... I'm going to eat as much cake mix as I can and sell my body for scrap metal.

9. 04-01-2012 05:27 AM #9
      Beer isn't without controversy, mostly due to additives:

1. Fungal toxicity

2. questionable dyes (green beer)

3. Other additives:

Mountain springs, pure water, the finest hops and barley. What more could there be to beer?

More than 100 things, actually.

Additives in beer is not a new idea. In the 15th century brew masters threw a live chicken into the beer kettle and called the result ****'s ale. Today, no chickens, but the Candian government still allows as many as 108 ingredients in beer.

They make tiny bubbles tinier, foamy head foamier, liquid more transparent. But which of those 108 actually end up in your brew? You'll never know by looking at the label, because when it comes to listing what's inside, Health Canada makes an exception for beer.

"There are all kinds of ingredients that could go in there, certainly," says Sharon McDiarmid of Health Canada. "That doesn't mean everybody uses them. They're optional. These are ingredients that are approved for use by Health Canada."

"They're not doing it to try and poison the consumer," he says, adding, "There's really never been a case of ... of a beer killing a person, with very, very few exceptions."

One of those exceptions happened in 1964, when a Quebec brewery, Dow, put cobalt sulfate into its beer. 16 men die and millions of gallons were flushed down the sewer.

"They died of cobalt sulfate poisoning," said McKenna "Now, cobalt at the time, heavy metal, was used as a head retention agent."

"Whether you view beer as a ... a drug or as a food product or merely as a recreational libation, there is no other product, whether it be Coca-Cola or ice cream, bread, pharmaceuticals, they have to list the ingredients on them to protect the consumer, to allow the consumer to make an informed decision about what they're applying to their body or putting into their body," McKenna said.

Liam McKenna has made beer labels a national issue here, lobbying parliament to make Ireland the first country in Europe to require mandatory ingredient lists.
      Quote Originally Posted by horribleR View Post
      **** it... I'm going to eat as much cake mix as I can and sell my body for scrap metal.
      I didn't even get to the nearly omnipresent phthalates and toxic chemicals (besides phthalates) in sunscreens, because they aren't eaten. However, the skin absorbs them so they are eaten in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CBS
      Dr. Howard Snyder, a pediatric urologist at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia, says Swan's findings line up with what he's seeing in newborn baby boys: an alarming increase in deformed sex organs.

Dr. Snyder operated on one-year-old Griffin to correct something called "hypospadias," a birth defect that causes problems in urination.

"He's a healthy little guy who's, I think, going to get through the rest of life aiming without any difficulty at all," Snyder told Stahl.

"We hear that there are more and more and more cases of hypospadias. Are you seeing a lot?" Stahl asked.

"Thirty, 40 years ago, the best data we had then was that hypospadias occurred in about one in every 300 live male births. It's up to now about one in 100. So there's been a threefold increase," Snyder explained.

There's also been a two-fold increase in another abnormality: un-descended testicles. Snyder says something seems to be interfering in the womb with the production of testosterone, causing the male organs to form improperly. And he suspects it may be phthalates.

"You're moving in on these chemicals," Stahl remarked. "You don't think whatever we're seeing is smoking or diet or something else?"

"I think it's the chemical exposure that are most telling," Snyder replied.

He points to studies beyond Shanna Swan's that seem to link phthalates to low sperm counts and low testosterone levels in adult males.

"There's just too much incremental data that has built up to be ignored. I think it's a real phenomenon. I really, honestly do," Snyder said.

10. 04-01-2012 05:28 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dubb~stylee View Post
      so what do you propose? sounds like the only option is for everyone to raise their own food and livestock.

you post stupid **** without offering the alternative.
      I love how making the effort to post educational/informative things here is called stupid by someone who has yet to post anything in this topic that even comes close in terms of content.

Maybe you'll discover at some point that if you want even more help with life that you shouldn't attack someone while simultaneously demanding.

Why not think for yourself instead of attacking me for not doing more thinking for you?

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 05:33 AM #11
      A great man

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 05:46 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by v408w View Post
      again
      A great man

13. 04-01-2012 05:48 AM #13
      Thread-bombing doesn't do anything except show that you're abusing your posting privileges here beyond merely posting worthless insult.

04-01-2012 05:51 AM #14
      I love how making the effort to post educational/informative things here is called stupid by someone who has yet to post anything in this topic that even comes close in terms of content.

Maybe you'll discover at some point that if you want even more help with life that you shouldn't attack someone while simultaneously demanding.

Why not think for yourself instead of attacking me for not doing more thinking for you?

honestly i don't think that what you posted is stupid, our food supply is pretty messed up and it will never get better because we already have too many humans competing for resources that happen to be owned by corporations interested in their own profits alone.

what i find stupid is you posting your unsolicited "help" then not adding valid recourse for what a person should do to avoid the bad things in what we consume which makes you sound like a preachy douche who likes scolding the general public. you think people dislike you here simply because you are "making an effort" to enlighten those who are in the dark? get a grip on your perspective and get a life you sad fool. :roll eyes:

04-01-2012 05:57 AM #16
      What a spoiled brat attitude you have.
      oh hey hey now look who is attacking who! you know you should know better than to attack people. it hurts their feelings. but i digress.

i would love you to drop some knowledge on why i am spoiled like the milk in your moms tits. sounds like the pompous one has a sore spot for being called a fool.

16. 04-01-2012 06:04 AM #17
      oh hey hey now look who is attacking who! you know you should know better than to attack people. it hurts their feelings. but i digress.

i would love you to drop some knowledge on why i am spoiled like the milk in your moms tits. sounds like the pompous one has a sore spot for being called a fool.
      Re-read this and think:

what i find stupid is you posting your unsolicited "help" then not adding valid recourse for what a person should do to avoid the bad things in what we consume which makes you sound like a preachy douche who likes scolding the general public. you think people dislike you here simply because you are "making an effort" to enlighten those who are in the dark? get a grip on your perspective and get a life you sad fool. :roll eyes:
      The hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness in your posts is striking. I'm not your parent. I'm not your messiah. I don't have to do your thinking for you. I am not responsible for solving the world's problems. What else isn't clear? Oh, yes, while simultaneously saying what I posted is useful and attacking me for it... well... that's not very bright, is it?

There are plenty of things that can be done that are already quite evident from the information I posted. For instance, one quotation clearly shows advocacy for beer additive labeling. Other things I posted show similar labeling advocacy. Read and think.

04-01-2012 06:10 AM #18
      Re-read this and think:

The hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness in your posts is striking. I'm not your parent. I'm not your messiah. I don't have to do your thinking for you. I am not responsible for solving the world's problems. What else isn't clear? Oh, yes, while simultaneously saying what I posted is useful and attacking me for it... well... that's not very bright, is it?
      that truly is laughable. i just said that what you posted had merit but what i am attacking your tone and delivery. unfortunately you are too foolish/stupid to understand the difference. get over yourself.

04-01-2012 06:14 AM #19
      it's been fun feeding you troll but its time for bed. sweet dreams you sad fool.

19. 04-01-2012 06:14 AM #20
      More of the same.

Frankly, the photo thread-bombing is preferable. At least it's less noisy.

Actually, there is a silver lining. I no longer feel at all regretful about not having children. I think Saturn had it right.

20. 04-01-2012 08:46 AM #21
      honestly i don't think that what you posted is stupid, our food supply is pretty messed up and it will never get better because we already have too many humans competing for resources that happen to be owned by corporations interested in their own profits alone.
      But yet, the life expectancy grows every year. Eat what you want. Enjoy life. Die and get out of the way.

04-01-2012 09:23 AM #22
      What a tool.

Like TIGninja with a spell-checker.
      Last edited by barry2952; 04-01-2012 at 09:40 AM.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-01-2012 09:36 AM #23
      2 eggs with melted cheddar cheese, potato cut into small pieces cooked with olive oil and garlic and a bit of fresh parsley, and two cups of coffee. How am i doing?
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      04-01-2012 09:52 AM #24

I dont care I love food.

Unless it has a STD sprayed on it. I dont care.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      04-01-2012 10:35 AM #25
      All food is safe for consumption.
      Otherwise, it wouldn't be food.
      Last edited by Lwize; 04-01-2012 at 07:03 PM.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      04-01-2012 10:54 AM #26
      Eat all the tree bark!
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

04-01-2012 11:00 AM #27
      Just eat hot dogs for every meal. You can't go wrong there.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

27. 04-01-2012 12:14 PM #28
      Do not eat the brown acid.

If you have eaten brown acid, please report to the medical tent immediately.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This has to be my jam right now. If I had a few more subcontractors intothis type of **** the old lady would be done by now. Give me the kayak you know somebody is being a poseureur about.
      Oh My Tumblr: DGDCphotography.tumblr.com

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      04-01-2012 02:54 PM #29
      Eh, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

But seriously, I subscribe to the idea that EVERYTHING is good for you, in moderation. It's just a question of how much "moderation" is.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      04-01-2012 07:15 PM #30
      brew your own beer, grow your own veggies, slaughter your own animals...lets see how long you go before ending up at mcdonalds...
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      Caveman... S
      04-01-2012 07:44 PM #31
      so what should i eat?

31. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-01-2012 07:46 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by hrama803 View Post

I dont care I love food.

Unless it has a STD sprayed on it. I dont care.
      Wait.. has that actually happened to you?

Let me guess, you eat here:

Last edited by BRealistic; 04-01-2012 at 07:49 PM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg
      04-01-2012 07:47 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by chrismkay3 View Post
      so what should i eat?
      I'm glad you asked, Timmy! ::Troy McClure voice::

Go Gators!

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 1996 BK
      04-01-2012 08:33 PM #34
      Dumb thread is dumb.

It's easy for the fairly well off to eat well, if you know what you're doing. We eat grass fed beef, wild salmon, free range eggs (from a local farmer) good cheeses, and mostly organic veggies. Don't eat grains (except sparingly) drink coffee, milk from grassfed cows, and locally brewed (real) beer.

Harder when one is subsisting on < $20k per year. (half of all Americans)

04-01-2012 08:35 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by horribleR View Post
      Dibs on the bowl and mixer leftovers!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast