I bought TT 264/260 cams for my R, I've looked around a little and I found these two threads and still have questions about install.
cam install with detailed pictures
R32 what needs to be replaced w/ cam install
1. I'm at 95k, my clutch is good and my chains aren't making any noise. I don't drive my car super hard and I only put about 5-8k on my car a year. Should I hold off replacing my timing chain until they make noise? Should I just replace the 3 guides while I'm in there replacing the cams?
2. At the very least I need to replace; cam oil rings, valve cover gasket and o rings, cam stretch bolts, intake gasket...anything else?
3. How do you suggest removing the cam gear from the cam? In the photos it looks like someone just used an adjustable wrench on the cam lobes, I'm not looking to scratch the stock cams.
4. I would assume I should use some assembly grease what do you recommend and how much is too little vs too much? Does assembly grease funk up the oil? How soon after install/lube should I change the oil?
5. What is a good marking tool; paint, grease pen, crayon, that I can use to make my own timing marks that won't effect anything.
6. How much time should I figure for this job? I've done this job on a 2 liter a few times, but never on a VR.