Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: possible to make drls remain on with hand-brake engaged? also, rear drls possible?

1. 04-01-2012 07:15 PM #1
      1) i have a 2012 w/ xenon and led drls. is it possible to make the drls stay on while the hand-brake is on? there's a little store i stop at in the morning, and i like to leave my car running (since it's like 1/2 mile from my house i don't want to stop/start the car again), and it's nice to be able to peek out the window and see the leds , but obviously with a manual transmission it must be left in neutral, so having the hand-brake on is a must.

2) is it possible to have the tail lights come on with drls? i'm not talking about a euro-switch, where you can have leds and parking lights on, i'm talking about having the tail lights come on in the off position with the normal led drls. i like the concept (and look) of the front drls, but i'd like the added safety of having tail lights on as well without having to turn on the xenons.

i do have a vcds, and i've poked around a bit, but didn't see anything in the long coding helpers that sounded like they accomplished these effects.

thanks in advance for any answers!
      2012 Volkswagen GTI: 4-Door with Sunroof and Navigation | Manual | Deep Black Pearl
      Current Mods: ECS Smoked Side-Markers | Soundaktor Silenced | Euro Switch | OEM LED Taillights | USP 3,000K Fog Lights | Yellow Lamin-x | 35% Rear Window Tint | Red rb_styling Badges | that-is-all
      Future Mods: APR Stage 1 Tune?

Vehicles
      15' GTI
      04-01-2012 08:09 PM #2
      I don't think so. The closest I can suggest is to get a Auto Eoroswitch, leave it in the auto position and the headlights come on when the car is turned on. I think you can change how much the drl's dim when you turn on the parking lights.
      Need Vag-Com in Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa? Send me a PM.

Current: 15' GTI Autobahn 6MT w/LP

Previous: 12' Golf R, 12' GTI, 09' GTI, 02' Jetta TDI

Vehicles
      1 Sedan and 1 Wagon - both Wolfsburg's
      04-01-2012 08:47 PM #3
      Yep - get a euroswitch and trigger, wire parking lights.... done.
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

Vehicles
      blue *****magnet
      04-01-2012 08:55 PM #4
      wheel chocks
      Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
      lower than zimmy and no issues.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI '14 Jetta
      04-01-2012 09:05 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by white pepper View Post
      wheel chocks
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      IMO the best place for mounting a euro plate is in the trash.

Vehicles
      2010 UG 2Dr GTI "Gus"
      04-01-2012 09:49 PM #6
      I'm pretty sure if you change your light profile to Scandinavia the rears will come on with DRLs. Don't ask me how to do that though. On the mk5s theres a checkmark lol.
      2010 GTI 6MT Autobahn Mods: H&R SS w/H&R Dampeners, APR Stage 1+2 Intake, APR K04, BB TBE, OEM R20 LED tails, RLS retrofit, Newsouth Boost Gauge, HPA Short Shift, 19" B8 S4 wheels w/Hankook Ventus V12, Euro Front Lip, OEM Thunderbunny side skirts, custom suede headliner and pillars, Eibach f&r sways, Unibrace XB & RB, gloss black front lower valance and honeycomb grilles, S3 Intercooler, CM FX-350 clutch

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      04-02-2012 01:29 AM #7
      I'd also prefer if the DRLs stayed on with the hand brake. I drive a lot in the hills, and the cars in front of me seem to think I high-beam them, or something, at every stop sign. Also, it's plain annoying - light on - light off - light on - light off ...

8. 04-02-2012 01:37 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by E CODE View Post
      Yep - get a euroswitch and trigger, wire parking lights.... done.
      turning a switch to the parking lights setting is not the same as drls
      2012 Volkswagen GTI: 4-Door with Sunroof and Navigation | Manual | Deep Black Pearl
      Current Mods: ECS Smoked Side-Markers | Soundaktor Silenced | Euro Switch | OEM LED Taillights | USP 3,000K Fog Lights | Yellow Lamin-x | 35% Rear Window Tint | Red rb_styling Badges | that-is-all

9. 04-02-2012 01:38 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Smrtypants44 View Post
      I'm pretty sure if you change your light profile to Scandinavia the rears will come on with DRLs. Don't ask me how to do that though. On the mk5s theres a checkmark lol.
      I just got out from poking around in the vcds settings and didn't see anything about Scandinavian lighting profiles or anything of the sort.

10. 04-02-2012 01:41 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      I'd also prefer if the DRLs stayed on with the hand brake. I drive a lot in the hills, and the cars in front of me seem to think I high-beam them, or something, at every stop sign. Also, it's plain annoying - light on - light off - light on - light off ...
      do you not have the hill hold feature? I've never had it on a car before, but it's pretty seamless, and seems to work quite well. I've never found a need to use the hand brake while driving, only when parking on inclines, or leaving the car running in neutral.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 04:06 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by slush puppie View Post
      do you not have the hill hold feature? I've never had it on a car before, but it's pretty seamless, and seems to work quite well. I've never found a need to use the hand brake while driving, only when parking on inclines, or leaving the car running in neutral.
      No, I don't.

Also, some of the hills here are 20%-30% incline, many are >15% - not using your handbrake means ~30,000-50,000 miles clutch change rather than 150,000 - 200,000 miles.

Vehicles
      All original 77 Rabbit; 14 Jetta; 14 Outback
      04-03-2012 09:14 PM #12
      I just got out from poking around in the vcds settings and didn't see anything about Scandinavian lighting profiles or anything of the sort.
      That was "back in the day." The BCM doesn't have that anymore which is why you didn't see it. Here is a thread where a guy was trying to do the same - no luck:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...nal-15-ON-quot

13. 04-03-2012 09:20 PM #13
      No, I don't.

Also, some of the hills here are 20%-30% incline, many are >15% - not using your handbrake means ~30,000-50,000 miles clutch change rather than 150,000 - 200,000 miles.
      where do you live? candy mountain?

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      04-03-2012 11:35 PM #14
      Charlie?

Vehicles
      04-04-2012 05:14 AM #15
      I live farther inland, but we have quite a number of hills like this one.

Vehicles
      12' 4dr CW .:R
      04-06-2012 08:48 PM #16
      i know this is a couple days old but it doesn't sound like anyone found a fix. now waaaay back in the day in civic land we used to be able to unplug the sensor which triggered the brake light on the dash b/c it made us faster..lol, no b/c it was annoying and would sometimes flicker the older the car got..now with that being said, when i got in my cah this morning on the way to work and dropped the e brake u know the drls come on, has anyone whose installed a euro cup hold looked to see if there are 2 sets of clips under the center colsole, one for the brake light on the dash, 2 to trigger the drls to come on when it's activated? if not op you can dig under there and see if there is, if not the only other thing i think it could be is a relay when the brake light on the dash is off it triggers the drls, that being said if theres only one wire or connecter which triggers that, try unplugging that and see if that does it all the time, obviously u loose your indicator light, but do you need it to see if you pk brake is active?

chris

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI / 2012 Audi A4 / PAST 1999.5 MKIV Jetta / 2000 MKIV Jetta / 2004 B6 Audi A4
      05-01-2012 11:20 AM #17
      revived this b/c i've been thinking about this for the past few weeks after taking delivery of our new Audi, the "hand brake/e-brake" in the new A4 is a switch and can only be activated on or off with you foot on the brake pedal, so this poses a problem if you wanted to use the hand brake to help pull out on hills, guess i'm going to have to get good at the heel-toe agian
      2010 CSG GTI DSG | APR Stage I ECU | APR/Carbonio Stage I & II Intake | APR RSC Cat-back | AWE T.O.P | Smoked Corner Markers | Koni Coilovers | VCDS

18. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '13 Passat TDI SEL Prem
      05-01-2012 02:03 PM #18
      don't the new Audi's have the auto-hold feature for inclines and hills?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf 2.5
      05-01-2012 11:16 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMK6GTI View Post
      Charlie?

my cat charlie jumped on my lap just as i finished laughing from the original..

I'd like to know how to turn the drls off without engaging the e brake.

Vehicles
      static mk6 GTI/static mk2 Jetta Wolfie
      05-02-2012 01:27 AM #20
      turning a switch to the parking lights setting is not the same as drls
      depends. i agree, its not really DRL's, however. i have the OEM halogens, not the nice bi-xenon. and my euro switch parking lights function throws what used to be the DRL's on. i typically use it for parking (duh) and if i feel like having DRL's. otherwise, DRL's are disabled for me. Same light configuration though, + taillights.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      I've seen hookers with less gap.
      Click here for lulz. ~
      mk6. | Instagram @fist_sluts | Chucktown Dubs.