Great work man. I too have a mk4 VR6, and I love modding it. I actually just finished my first ever Joey Mod yesterday, and it went pretty well. I'm very interested to see how the door fabric mod turns out because I recently did my headliner and I'm thinking about matching my doors/armrest. Keep it up man, can't wait to see what's to come.
Also, the coilovers came today! They look to be in great condition, they thread all the way through and I'm excited to install them! The only thing stopping me are spacers!
Finished the Driver door reupholster! Just gotta do the other three now :/
Is there any demand for a DIY on this? I understand there is already one, but I could go into much more detail on my process to success!
Also, obtained 10mm spacers with extended lugs, as well as 17.5mm spacers for the rear, with proper extended lugs. Have not been able to install the B&G's yet, but it will happen soon! Maybe next weekend when I go visit Zach.
More useless updates, on a Lazy Sunday!
Washed the car, and installed the spacers. I am now running a 17.5mm spacer for the rears, and 10mm spacers up front. The difference is minor, but the goal was to allow clearance for the B&G's. I think it help the Montreal II's work a little bit better too, even though the wheels won't stick with me forever. I just haven't had the right set of wheels connect with me yet!
Before and After side-to-side:
And just some random pictures. Next update should see B&G's installed!
Okay, no pictures, but within the next month I should have my GLI lip customized to a vision I've got in mind, and then the whole front bumper clip and friend Ian (idwurks) has agreed to show me the ropes when it comes to detailing the rest of the car to match.
Coilovers are installed, have been for a week. However, I was getting an insanely annoying clunking noise. LCA's are new, new bushings all around, I basically did a whole suspension refresh and was still getting the clunking so I was like wtfux. Señor Zach was helping me checklist things off. One of the first things was the fact that I never actually got the nylock nuts all the way down on the top of the strut hats. I never expected that to make such an annoying clunking sound! Just used a 14 pitch thread chaser and rethreaded both the nylock nut and the threads on the B&G's.
I will have new pictures up when I lower it! I aligned a Mercedes AMG (forget what year) and I saw how similar the sway bar end links were, so I took them off the car and matched them up to mine, and it seems that it would be a perfect solution to keep the stock sway bar, but have clearance! The links are about 1/4" beefier, and maybe 2" longer. Same angles, same size bolt and head, so I might try that out!
Finished the door card re-upholstering, but you all already saw that, plus no one cares about the rear seating setup.
The right set of wheels still hasn't found their way to me! I'm still looking, but I'm not gonna jump at anything I see, I'm gonna wait til a set connects with me!
Slightly pepped up, I got home, took multiple naps, and then got out to shoot a few pictures.
THESE ARE NOT MY WHEELS. They are Zach's, and I am only running them for a short few weeks as a convenience for him. Any confusion you have over this shall remain confusion until he decides otherwise.
Oh and don't give me that "lower it" bs. I'm on B&G's, I will lower it soon, I promise!
Last edited by Konkordmusk; 12-04-2012 at 07:25 PM.
i just like everything thus far
Well, I FINALLY got around to pulling the bumper off and starting the work!
I'd like to thank my friend Nikolay for some tidbits of advice. I'm sure I'll call on him again soon to help me out with this process!
First off, I'd like to present my taillights. It is not my idea! I got the idea from some lad over in the tdiclub. He has a Uniblack jetta, rieger rear lip, you may have seen him.
So I decided that it looked good enough for me to want to do it!
Friend Nikolay gave me this spare set of taillights in exchange for an alignment on my rack, which is flush with the ground so lowered cars are no issue.
I'm not completely done with them, gotta clear them and wetsand and such, but here's what they will generally look like!
And here's my car without the bumper and an f'ed up fender liner
Now, to the meat of this post!
The general idea is to rebond the broken connections from the GLI lip repair process I made a while ago. There has been some cracking, especially from scraping and the bond not being perfect. First time mistake, won't happen again.
Then, I will re-do the rubstrip holes. I was getting some cracking from using solely body filler to fill the holes. I knocked all that crap out, laid some electrical vinyl tape BEHIND the holes, and filled the front of the rubstrip with ABS Cement. Same successful process I've used before.
For the fancy shmancy stuff, well, I suppose I should keep that a secret. Expect something you've never seen before (I hope!)
Now, un-interrupted by text, here are the pictures! Random shots of workspace, materials and such. Any questions, feel free to post or PM!
Enjoy, and stay classy.