Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer: What To Expect

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      04-01-2012 09:46 PM #1
      So I was over at a friends the other day and they just offered up some links of deer sausage they had made from a recent hunting trip to Colorado. I was going to decline on the bounds of not wanting to indulge his hunting however the deer is already dead, it caught me totally off guard, and I am not one to turn down a nice gesture. I accepted them but I really have no idea what to expect or make of these. One pack is a mild Italian and the other is a spicier one. I know I can use it like any other sausage but what is deer most like? What should I expect when I cook these up. Don't want to ruin a dinner because I end up not liking them.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 12 F-150 Eco Boost
      04-01-2012 10:01 PM #2
      You'll just have to try it out. I'd suggest adding it to spaghetti sauce first. That way if it's wierd it'll be masked a little. As far as flavor goes, it's not really that much different than any other meat. I've had some that's strongly flavored like sage (mule deer from the plains), and I've had some that, no joke, tasted like fresh air smells. If it were unseasoned bare meat, I'd say it would taste a little sweeter than beef, with a less irony/bloody flavor. In this case, it will most likely just taste like the seasonings.

If it's bad, please don't condemn it. Deer and elk is really good clean tasting meat when processed and prepared carefully.

Vehicles
      03 Passat Wagon
      04-01-2012 10:06 PM #3
      Since its sausage it's got spices and likely a bunch of pork added so you probably wouldnt know there was venison. Just cook them like regular sausages/brats. Just curious, why don't you want to "indulge his hunting" he is obviously a responsible enough hunter as he was able to bag an animal and didn't let the meat to to waste. Not trying to start a debate, I just don't understand why people that readily eat meat from the supermarket somehow think that's better than actually working for your food and harvesting animals free of hormones and antibiotics to eat.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 12:20 AM #4
      Ok great, thanks guys, guess I will just have to toss it in something to find out.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      04-03-2012 11:22 AM #5
      Thank you 1lojet. My thoughts exactly. Though meat bought at the supermarket harvested from animals that sometimes can not even take a walk due to their cramped conditions, is much more tender.
      Aaron
      PSN: RealPower5

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-03-2012 11:24 AM #6
      Deer meat is very lean and it's waaay better for you than corporate farm-raised beef.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      Platinum Grey GLI on jackstands / 2004 Jetta TDI on CCW's
      04-06-2012 04:17 PM #7
      Make a chili out of it!

whenever i have deer meat that a neighbor gives me, or after i harvest one from hunting, i usually make deer cheesesteak, taco's, chili'...... things that have alot of other flavors going on.. also helps mask the gamey taste.

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 10:34 PM #8
      Probably going to pass on it actually

Vehicles
      '11 Suby Legacy '06 HD 883 Sportster
      04-11-2012 05:21 PM #9
      Pass on it? Really? If so, send it my way! Haha, a couple of my friends were big hunters in college and they would always come back in the late fall with tons of meat. Give it a shot, you probably wouldn't notice that its anything different if you hadn't been told what it was. Hopefully you enjoy
      Banchwerks A Fine German Tuning Haus 401.335.3336
      APR | Recaro | Techtonics | SPEC | KW | Milltek | Kinetic
      Southern New England's APR Resource

Mo'vember - drewthestacheman

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 06:02 PM #10
      Ya the more I think about it the less appealing it becomes, its just not going to happen. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, either throw it out or give it to someone at work.

04-11-2012 06:12 PM #11
      Not trying to be a dick but it's just ****ing meat. I sincerely hope you do not throw away perfectly good food because you might not like the taste of it.

Vehicles
      2014 GLI 30th, 1977 TA W72
      04-11-2012 06:55 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Ya the more I think about it the less appealing it becomes, its just not going to happen. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, either throw it out or give it to someone at work.

I'm not really one for a straight up venison steak (although they can be good), but it's sausage, man. Cook it up, throw it in a nice roll and crack a beer to go with it.
      Jason • Now 2.0T / 400 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 10:05 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Subie J View Post
      Not trying to be a dick but it's just ****ing meat. I sincerely hope you do not throw away perfectly good food because you might not like the taste of it.
      I'm just not interested in eating this deer the more I think about it. It's fine, don't worry about it.

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      04-12-2012 03:55 PM #14
      Deer Jerky is some amazing good snack food. Friend used to make all different kinds of flavored deer jerky. Hot, not hot, caribbean.... Much better than the store bought junk. Though I guess thats because my friend who used to make it actually took pride in his food, not like Hungry Jack or whoever the sasquatch beef jerky people are. Though that is decent mass produced store bought.
      Aaron
      PSN: RealPower5

Vehicles
      04-19-2012 12:01 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      Deer Jerky is some amazing good snack food. Friend used to make all different kinds of flavored deer jerky. Hot, not hot, caribbean.... Much better than the store bought junk. Though I guess thats because my friend who used to make it actually took pride in his food, not like Hungry Jack or whoever the sasquatch beef jerky people are. Though that is decent mass produced store bought.
      Wasn't jerky. In the end decided to throw it out.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      04-19-2012 09:22 AM #16
      Wasn't jerky. In the end decided to throw it out.

If there wasn't something wrong with it; spoiled, processed poorly, etc, and you just threw it out, you did a disservice to your friend. Throwing away a properly harvested animal isn't right. Really, throwing away food in general is bad, but something like this is really irritating.

If you knew in the beginning you had a problem with it, and it sounds like you did, why did you accept it in the first place? Can't imagine it would have been offensive with a simple "no thanks, deer isn't my thing".

And before you come with another "don't worry about it, it's fine" type comment... what other responses would you have hoped for coming from the outdoors forum? A lot of us are hunters and take it seriously. We pride ourselves on the ethics of hunting. Telling us you are simply throwing away deer meat for no real reason provided isn't going to sit well.

Vehicles
      04-19-2012 02:28 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by HookedOn16v View Post
      If there wasn't something wrong with it; spoiled, processed poorly, etc, and you just threw it out, you did a disservice to your friend. Throwing away a properly harvested animal isn't right. Really, throwing away food in general is bad, but something like this is really irritating.
      Well you're just going to have to accept it, it's done.

If you knew in the beginning you had a problem with it, and it sounds like you did, why did you accept it in the first place? Can't imagine it would have been offensive with a simple "no thanks, deer isn't my thing".
      We were completely caught off guard. What he asked us was if we eat meat, not if we wanted deer sausage. Next thing we know he's handing us 2 packs of deer sausage with a big grin on his face, didn't really know what to do except say thank you, again for his generosity.

And before you come with another "don't worry about it, it's fine" type comment... what other responses would you have hoped for coming from the outdoors forum? A lot of us are hunters and take it seriously. We pride ourselves on the ethics of hunting. Telling us you are simply throwing away deer meat for no real reason provided isn't going to sit well.
      I pride myself on the ethics of not hunting. At first I told myself 'well it is okay since it is already dead' and I genuinely was going to try it but as time went by my conscience got the better of me... I couldn't start going against what I feel is right particularly with a flimsy ends justifying the means reasoning. I started to get really irritated at even having it in the house to the point I just got out of bed and took it to the dumpster. I am very happy with my decision and have no second thoughts about it.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      04-19-2012 02:46 PM #18
      I accept that just fine.

However, with your stance on hunting, you might want to check out another section of the forums. It tends to revolve around that and firearms.

Good luck.
      Last edited by HookedOn16v; 04-19-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Vehicles
      2JZ E30
      04-19-2012 07:15 PM #19
      1) ask for advice,

2) receive advice,

3) throw in the dumpster?

Vehicles
      74 BMW R90/6, '01 Audi S8
      04-20-2012 03:26 PM #20
      Throws away meat from a legally hunted and processed animal based on ethics.

Ok with grocery store packaged meat.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-20-2012 03:30 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by OptimusGlen View Post

Quoted for the irony
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 03:32 PM #22

Indeed and not a second thought about it.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-20-2012 03:46 PM #23
      Indeed and not a second thought about it.
      Maybe you should put some thought into it.

Just sayin'

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 03:48 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Maybe you should put some thought into it.

Just sayin'
      Put plenty in. Very happy about the decision.

Just said.

Vehicles
      74 BMW R90/6, '01 Audi S8
      04-20-2012 05:33 PM #25
      Would you please explain the ethics behind your opinion? More specifically, why grocery store meat is ok and wild meat is not?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      04-20-2012 09:15 PM #26
      Would you please explain the ethics behind your opinion? More specifically, why grocery store meat is ok and wild meat is not?

He doesn't have anything to REALLY answer that with.

He came in here to post it, do it, and watch our reactions. He knew we wouldn't agree with it.

Putting on a noble act against what I imagine to be a hobby of almost everyone in this forum. He's simply trying to stir up trouble at this point.

So as polite as I was in pointing out he should visit other sections of the forum......

I'd rather read about cool new guns from Obin and Elbows

I'm proud of the deer I got this season, and it tastes FANTASTIC!

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 09:42 PM #27
      He doesn't have anything to REALLY answer that with.

He came in here to post it, do it, and watch our reactions. He knew we wouldn't agree with it.
      Why would you presume that if someone has a differing opinion than yours that there must be nothing to back it up? Assuming you're not that closed minded that can only mean you're intent on stirring up some internet antics. Talk about just wanting to see people reactions. As I said before I was genuinely curious and intended to eat it at first, then I just decided against it. People kept posting that clearly hadn't read the thread so I updated with the latest. It shouldn't really be very difficult for you to just accept that and move on.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      04-20-2012 09:50 PM #28
      You haven't used any reason why you don't accept it.

Just "ethics of not hunting" and that it bothered you SO MUCH you lost sleep over it.

I can perfectly accept the views of non hunters. My wife doesn't really care for it, but we have a reasonable understanding about it.

I just think this is a little amusing now.

Keep going, please. 45 seconds out of my internet browsing to read and respond doesn't really effect anything.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 10:03 PM #29
      You haven't used any reason why you don't accept it.
      Nor am I going to here.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      04-21-2012 12:33 AM #30
      Haha. Of course you aren't.

Vehicles
      04-21-2012 01:19 AM #31
      Haha. Of course you aren't.
      Why on earth would I?

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      05-03-2012 02:08 AM #32
      I pride myself on the ethics of not hunting. At first I told myself 'well it is okay since it is already dead' and I genuinely was going to try it but as time went by my conscience got the better of me... I couldn't start going against what I feel is right particularly with a flimsy ends justifying the means reasoning. I started to get really irritated at even having it in the house to the point I just got out of bed and took it to the dumpster. I am very happy with my decision and have no second thoughts about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      You should instead be praising the fact that life is so good, and safe that you can be afforded the luxury to be outraged by the death of one civilian, at the other end of the world. That's phenomenal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harbaugh
      Who's got it better then us?!? ...... Nooooo-body!!!

33. 05-03-2012 05:51 AM #33
      I didn't bother reading this until I saw a reference to it elsewhere.

This is about the dumbest thing I've read lately. Hunting is more humane than the way most meat is processed...and now the deer's life (or part of it rather) was completely wasted, which is about 180-degrees from the so called "ethics" you're pretending to espouse.

A true hunter respects his kill, finishes it as humanely as possible, and makes use of the products gained from the hunt. You know who hunters despise? Jackasses who hunt, and then let the kill rot or go to waste. Good job.

Weak sauce.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 10:40 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      This is about the dumbest thing I've read lately.
      Cool. Don't at all care what you think.

Vehicles
      03' Passat GLX Wgn 4motion, 06' Saab 5.3 9-7x
      05-03-2012 10:58 AM #35
      I brought a package of Italian Brats for everyone at work today for lunch and looking forward to them. You know it's not the cheapest to get sausage processed, usaully $3-5 a pound depending on what other meats they mix it with. You sir owe your friend a case or two of beer or wasting his deer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast