Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Life After Pink Slime

1. 04-02-2012 02:05 AM #1
      WOW. So much different and better ground beef.

I should start by saying I am heavily into working out/weight training, and eat two or three hamburgers almost every day. Apparently, I was quite the pink slime consumer as well.

Today I stopped by Safeway to pick up a couple pounds of ground 93/7. This week the chain publicized that it was yanking pink slime.

The beef looked the same in the store, but when I got home and started cooking, I noticed the texture was a lot more homogenized, and the burgers patted out much more easily. Also, the meat was browning from the inside of the mass, which is the opposite of what happens with "pink slime."

The burgers (searing) cooked much more quickly and rendered gelatinous fat instead of oozing onto the pan. The after taste featured the seasonings much more than before.

All in all, I am pretty disgusted even though I have just had two excellent burgers. I know about meat glue, but what else are we getting fed?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      GC WRX Wagon, Volvo V50 Wagon, Mazdaspeed3 w/ mods
      04-03-2012 06:42 AM #2
      Man, I've got no idea what you're talking about??

3. Member
      Vehicles
      GC WRX Wagon, Volvo V50 Wagon, Mazdaspeed3 w/ mods
      04-04-2012 04:55 AM #4
      Aaah, gotcha. Its amazing, the flavour differences once you start producing foods like this yourself. I make my own beer (as do a bunch of folks on this forum) and it almost makes it hard to drink the mass produced crap from the big breweries.

Same for bread, bacon, milk etc etc. Way of the world, I guess.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk

4. Senior Member
      04-04-2012 02:33 PM #5
      I've been buying beef and pork and grinding it at home for years. Much better.

5. Member
      04-04-2012 03:54 PM #6
      We switched to organic a long time ago (before it was hip) because of the hormones and taste. Every now and then I would try to go cheap and buy the store brand, but it was disgusting and now I understand that it might have been because of this slime ****.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      04-17-2012 08:47 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

this. i also make my own sausage (time permitting)

04-22-2012 05:16 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      More info on this? Never done it but am interested.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      04-22-2012 06:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Boot View Post
      More info on this? Never done it but am interested.

buy the cheapest cuts of beef/pork with a bit of fat in it. you need a little bit of fat. get the old kitchen aid out, add the meat grinder attachment, which also doubles as the sausage stuffer. to make it easier you can par-freeze your meat (semi-frozen) so it will grind easier and create less of a mess.

this video is quite educational! on making sausages!

9. Senior Member
      04-24-2012 07:25 AM #10
      I buy boneless chuck roast for ground beef. I always scan the top shelf in the meat display at the supermarket. That's where they slap discount stickers on beef that is near the date onthe label. Just bought a chuck roast for $5 off and ground it up.

I buy pork shoulder for ground pork.

I make Italian sausage pretty much following The Frugal Gourmet's recipe. Much less fatty than bought sausage.

I make breakfast sausage following ideas from doing a search at food.com.

I usually use the food grinder on my Kitchen Aid, like the pictures above.

I have my grandmother's meat grinder, Universal No. 2, which I've also used.

I bought a collection of cast iron cookware last year, and it came with three meat grinders. One is an interesting hinged design. I may try them out some time.

10. 04-25-2012 04:20 PM #11
      We buy 1/2 a cow from a local small scale organic farmer. I should traumatize the kids some day and take them to meet "our cow"

You have no idea how hard it is to get 1/2 a cow to stand up. We ended up buying a freezer for it instead.

kaNUK

11. Senior Member
      04-25-2012 04:27 PM #12

I bought beef at Evans Farm ls month. Weird walking past the cattle, then into the building with freezers and picking out meat.

http://evans-farm.com./

12. Senior Member
      04-25-2012 04:29 PM #13
      What's the total weight of meat from half a cow, and how much does it cost? Just curious.

13. 04-25-2012 04:51 PM #14
      We end up with about 200 lbs or so, not including the "freebie" soup bones. Price is slightly higherer / pound than what we pay for department store hamburger. The really stunning part is how little Fillet Mignon one cow contains!

kaNUK

Edit: Found their price list
      Last edited by kanukVariant; 04-25-2012 at 04:55 PM.