Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: drive shaft center support replacement

1. 04-02-2012 09:42 AM #1
      My daughter's '04 'Treg started vibrating and grew to pretty bad shaking due to the center support
      bearing failure. I found online a replacement/redesign support bearing from Vertex Auto. This redesign looks promising and has been on their test 'Treg for two years with no problems. They also
      sell OEM replacement drive shaft assemblies. My question is, has anyone used this "fix"? More information can be found on touaregdriveshaft.com. It's "patent pending" so I'm just alittle leary.
      Any advice would be welcome!

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      04-02-2012 01:45 PM #2
      As a regular on here and elsewhere, I haven't heard of anyone who has tried this product. While it looks like it should work, a rebuilt unit is less expensive but a bit more time consuming to install. Until they gets a bunch of them in the field with regular users, I would be hesitant. I put a rebuilt unit on my Touareg by myself this past winter. Perhaps if they were less expensive than the rebuilt unit I would have tried it.

As for the longevity of the product, how much longer will your daughter keep an 8 year old car?

EDIT: MODERATED FOR CONTENT, I see there are several users who have used the product and it worked for them. One who said it didn't solve his problem. I think part of the issue is that you don't always know whether it is the rubber alone that failed or whether the bearing failed, causing heat and making the rubber fail too. The Vertex product doesn't replace the bearing. It only replaces the rubber. If the bearing is bad, then you are still left with a bad driveshaft.
      Last edited by TREGinginCO; 02-07-2014 at 12:10 AM.

3. 04-03-2012 09:26 AM #3
      Yes, I've gotten some really good advice from your posts on various Touareg issues.
      You have answered my concerns pretty much as I was thinking! I have just one more
      question, and since you've already replaced the drive shaft I was wondering if you also
      replaced the "rubber" flex pieces where the drive shaft connects? Thanks.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 12:19 PM #4
      The replacement drive shaft is a complete assembly including the metal center support, rubber donut and new bearing. The rubber donut is molded onto the metal center support and bearing. There is no way to just replace that piece.

The Vertex piece replaces the rubber with what looks to be some kind of plastic support pieces. I would think that could transmit vibration more easily than the rubber and if the bearing is bad and heats up, it would probably melt quickly.

5. 04-03-2012 03:30 PM #5
      Nice catch. I hadn't considered that facet. I have since found a complete drive shaft at Colorado
      Driveshafts. It is a rebuild to OEM specs, they also have new (for more money). They are comparable to Vertex in cost so I guess I'll be swapping out a drive shaft this weekend. They have some nice instructions and list of tools that will be needed and it doesn't sound too complicated.
      Thanks again!

6. 04-03-2012 07:59 PM #6
      Search this on rennlist.com. It has been discussed recently for cayennes.
      b6 2.0t 6m/t ATE slotted rotors Vmaxx coils S5 LED Headlamps S5 Reps 19x8 Toyo Proxy4's 5% Llumar Votex Lip B&B 3in DP
      PepperWagen ATE slotted rotors 22x10 Kohan's Yoko Spec X's 5% Llumar Euro turns

7. 04-16-2012 04:27 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ftroop View Post
      Nice catch. I hadn't considered that facet. I have since found a complete drive shaft at Colorado
      Driveshafts. It is a rebuild to OEM specs, they also have new (for more money). They are comparable to Vertex in cost so I guess I'll be swapping out a drive shaft this weekend. They have some nice instructions and list of tools that will be needed and it doesn't sound too complicated.
      Thanks again!
      Hi, how did the rebuilt Colorado Driveshaft work out? Any issues?

Vehicles
      04-16-2012 04:37 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by chicago_gal_950 View Post
      Hi, how did the rebuilt Colorado Driveshaft work out? Any issues?
      I haven't had any issues with mine.

9. 04-16-2012 05:29 PM #9
      Great - thanks Spockcat. Nice to see you again.

10. 02-05-2014 07:40 PM #10
      Hi guys,

I'm new to forums but I just replaced the drive shaft for my Treg with a brand new drive shaft I purchased. I have been doing some research on here, and this was the best deal I could find. I got the complete assy for $419.00 delivered and with a flex disc. So far its been working great, has anybody else purchased from them?

I have a Honda CRV that needs a drive shaft also, and they have a really good price on that part as well. Any feed back would be appreciated.

The name of the company is Wholesale Import Parts.

www.wholesaleimportparts.com

11. n00b
      Vehicles
      07 Touareg TDI
      02-09-2014 12:37 PM #11
      Loving my Colorado DS rebuilt unit. Zero effort required to buy and turn in the core. Like all driveline work, expect to apply a bit more force than you think should be nesessary. It's a workout to do on your back. Drop the exhaust, that's key.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad