Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Alltrack Concept at 2012 NYC Auto Show

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI & 2014 JSW
      04-02-2012 11:10 PM #26
      I have an AWD Passat wagon. I want a new AWD Passat (or Jetta) wagon with a TDI. Where can I put down my deposit?

2010 GTI & 2002 Passat Wagon

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      04-02-2012 11:52 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Junius Spencer View Post
      I have an AWD Passat wagon. I want a new AWD Passat (or Jetta) wagon with a TDI. Where can I put down my deposit?
      That's really a big problem for many of us: VW has neglected to offer something we can buy into, now that our cars are 7-12 years old. VW is forcing us to look elsewhere.

[I]>>So we suppose it is possible that VWoA *could* build a Jetta Sportwagen Alltrack in the future. That would likely mean the successor to the current Sportwagen.

3. 04-03-2012 12:19 AM #28
      Well regardless of market reaction I don't believe we'll ever see this. VW loves to show us stuff they'll never bring unless people go utterly nuts about it and then it will be 4 years after the fact after all the excitement has died down. Still showing the Bullie concept but no product after how many years? Still teasing a Tiguan diesel after 4 years and we have still have a couple more to go at least.

I'd buy it but there will never be a chance to do so I'm not going to even ask VW to send it over. Instead of waiting for the inevitable VW rejection of the car for the US market as shown (TDI, 4motion, & DSG), lets just thank them for the distraction. It can join the Jetta Coupes, Amoroks, Bullies, and unicorns of myths and legends.

4. 04-03-2012 12:35 AM #29
      We are a long time VW family. Needed a wagon. Looked at JSW (too small) and Audi A4 Avant (too expensive). So we bought a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited. Nice car, plenty of cargo space. But missing VW attributes like good handling, upscale interior, VW design language, many little details that make VWs so satisfying.

If only the Alltrack were available in the US.

Vehicles
      Old World: 2015 BMW X1, 2012 Porsche Boxster S. New World: 2015 GTI S, 93 Corrado SLC
      04-03-2012 04:46 AM #30
      Would love to see this in the US; would consider it in the future. In fact, I can "see it" at the dealer over here any day now...

Vehicles
      94' Corrado VR-SC'd, 00' A4 Q/Avant, 82' Jetta, 12' Countryman All4
      04-03-2012 08:46 AM #31
      I'd luv to have this.. price the right price.
      AWD, Wagon, Diesel, a combo Audi doesnt currently offer.
      I want the A3 tdi.. in quattro. I'm not buying a FWD Audi, ever.

That combo plus manual is the ultimate win.. & manuals are cheaper, that makes good sales sense
      The DubNutz OEM & Performance parts in Long Island. Autotech, Quaife, ST, KW, Koni, Tein, JE, ClutchMasters, StopTech, Samco, Whiteline, TT, VF-E, Euro body accessories, TDN performance Mounts and lots more. Lowest Prices on ST Coilovers! ask

Vehicles
      2013 Passat V6 SEL
      04-03-2012 09:55 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      Wagons always get enthusiasts and motoring journalists excited. Funny for some of us that grew up with family wagons with woody sides and couldn't imagine every owning one back then. Anyway, VWoA is dipping their toe in the water with a concept version of the European-only Passat Alltrack to gauge reaction here on this side of the pond. So let's break this down a bit and try and make some guesses as to what VWoA is potentially up to
      blah, blah, blah. My family has owned VWs for almost 50 years and my Dad has always had a wagon (412, Dasher, Quantum, Passat). He currently has a 2008 Passat V6 4Motion (70K miles) and the JSW doesn't hold a candle to it.

We looked at the Volvo XC70 (too expensive and I think relaibility will suffer under Chinese ownership) and the Subaru Outback (think of a car with the technology of a fifteen-year-old VW). The V6 Passat sedan is very nice but without 4Motion it's no good to us...

I understand the wagon market has shrunk to almost nothing in the US --- but why show us a concept and actually tell us it will never be sold here.

Also, how does a concept vehicle offer options...it hasn't even been built yet let alone been set with any option packages...

Vehicles
      '14 Sierra All Terrain, '07 Jetta
      04-03-2012 10:51 AM #33
      I think that thing looks pretty sweet, wouldn't be bad as a daily driver or something I'd feel comfortable with in any conditions
      "Make it look like something."

9. 04-03-2012 12:23 PM #34
      I already forwarded the article to my dealer contact, letting him know that if they ever actually do announce bringing this one, I'll rush right over with my deposit check.

I am personally on my 4th VW/Audi AWD wagon (B5.5 A4 Avant, B5.5 Passat wagon, original allroad, B6 A4 wagon). My wife is on her 2nd B5.5 Passat sedan, this one with quattro / 4mot. She bought hers off lease because she wanted to keep the AWD.

I am the fringe nutcase that desperately wants a AWD wagon (not SUV / CUV / truck), and would defect to anyone who would offer that with a diesel. Bring this, with the higher powered tdi. As much as I would be happy with a manual, I already know it would come with DSG or auto. I can live with that. Make it a single model to eliminate the permutations. Get behind tdi for REAL!

You mean to tell me VW couldn't sell at least as many of these as the Golf R? With a little ad support at least. Probably better to base it on the US Passat, adding the backend sheetmetal. I hear a rumor that the US Passat does have the floorpan allowances for AWD, should they want to incorporate it.

Vehicles
      08 Ford F350 diesel, 05 Golf tdi, 12 Touareg TDi
      04-03-2012 02:53 PM #35
      8 veedubs and 5 audis so far in my household.
      Bring the alltrack in jetta or passat version please
      Oh yes....diesel please!

04-03-2012 03:49 PM #36
      I think the Alltrack would be decently popular. As said earlier in the thread, the Subaru's get ****ty MPG, for the most part.

TDI + 4Mo + Ground clearance + Popular NA Passat = Greatness.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

12. 04-03-2012 06:06 PM #37
      I've driven nothing but VW/Audi since 99. Had two Jettas, a Treg, GTi, R32, Passat Sedan, Passat Wagon, and two A3s between the wife and me. She's currently in the 08 Wagon and I was lamenting a lack of a viable VW/Audi option.

The JSW is nice, but not even close to enough to replace the Passat Wagon. The Tig is too heavy and get's crappy mpg with not much more space than my A3. Tregs are too big for her and JSWs too small. This concept is the Goldie Locks in the lineup. It's also pretty down to Earth for a concept. Just a Passat wagon with 4-Mo and Allroad-esque fender flares. Looks like something that could be rolled out pretty fast if they want to do it. Also, considering the attention the Allroad is geting, this would be a good stepping stone for families that aren't quite as upper-crust yet.

Definitely should be built and imported. I see no reason to bring it to a North American auto show if they weren't going to test the waters for selling it here. It's not a radical concept and does not really break any new ground for VW or Audi. It just fits nicely in a product gap.

Vehicles
      '12 ML350BT, '09 B200
      04-03-2012 06:27 PM #38
      Just looked at the full gallery of pics and I like it even more.

A wagon / allroad version of the current North American Passat would suite me just fine. It does not have to be the European model as I do appreciate the space now offered by the NA version.

I'm trying to visualize a 7 passenger crossover based on the NA Passat with styling cues from this concept because I believe this is where the whole thing is going...all to replace the Routan...and hopefully soon.

Remember the 'Roccan' is coming.

Yarp or narp?

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      04-03-2012 06:35 PM #39
      I think it would be great as an affordable alternative to the higher priced A4 Allroad and the much loved Suburu Outback. If I were in the market for an all wheel drive softroading wagon, the VW would stand a good chance of luring me in with its nicer interior and higher quality compared to the Outback. The prospect of having it be Jetta based though concerns me because it falls into a lower class than the midsized Passat. Given that fact, I suspect that a Jetta Alltrack would compete more with Subaru's new Impreza based wagon CUV thing (called the XV Crosstrek). I think a Passat based wagon would be much more appealing despite VW's previous statements that a US based wagon would never see the light of day. The Outback is the rival to shoot for and offering better interior appointments and a nicer German feeling cabin would go a long way towards luring away those seeking a more premium feel on a tight budget. Nothing against Suburu, the interior isn't bad but it's not fantastic either.
      Last edited by randomkoreanguy; 04-03-2012 at 06:38 PM.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TDI Sport, that replaced a 2006 V8 with all the options. Missing some of those !
      04-03-2012 07:51 PM #40
      Audi trying to get my wife into a new Allroad.....but she likes this better and as a TDI.

"If you build it, they will come"

Please bring !!

16. 04-03-2012 08:47 PM #41
      I'm in, seems like a great idea to me. I'd like more room than the Jetta wagon, and 4Motion would be great. Could be a serious competitor to the Outback...

Vehicles
      '98 GTI VR6, '99 A4 Avant
      04-03-2012 09:20 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Not2FastNot2Serious View Post
      We are a long time VW family. Needed a wagon. Looked at JSW (too small) and Audi A4 Avant (too expensive). So we bought a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited. Nice car, plenty of cargo space. But missing VW attributes like good handling, upscale interior, VW design language, many little details that make VWs so satisfying.

If only the Alltrack were available in the US.
      The 2.5L 4cyl boxer engine in the outback is more true to vw form than any passat. My Room-mate owns one as well, and in retrospect.. I'm glad I talked her out of paying that much more for an a4 wagon with quattro. For both price and mechanical reliability.
      "porschenvy"

Vehicles
      '04 GTI
      04-03-2012 10:49 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Plasticar View Post
      I am the fringe nutcase that desperately wants a AWD wagon (not SUV / CUV / truck), and would defect to anyone who would offer that with a diesel. Bring this, with the higher powered tdi. As much as I would be happy with a manual, I already know it would come with DSG or auto. I can live with that. Make it a single model to eliminate the permutations. Get behind tdi for REAL!
      just to let you know, you aren't the only one (fringe nutcase) out there.

at the rate car selections are going, my 8 year + Mk4 GTI will only get replaced with a TDI Golf 4-door, a GTI 4-door, or the JSW...all with 3 pedals because I like to DRIVE the car, not ride in it.

I say, give these their own racing series, ala Jetta TDI Cup, and that should be about all the advertising VWoA needs. It had me sold on TDI power, except for the fact the Jetta has a trunk and I want a hatch and not a trunk lid.

Sure, I realize this post/thread will be useless in the end, but at least we're trying.
      \\\\\\\\\\\__ >> Hello Kitty Motor Oil <<, it does exist.
      \\\\\\\\\\\_+_MTL changed 19 Nov 11 (good for another 49k)
      \\\\\\\\\\\__Milestones: 60,000mi on 14 Nov 2013

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      04-04-2012 06:10 AM #44
      If this was a regular Passat wagon then YES! The Alltrack is overkill and a little hard on the eyes.

Just bring a regular Passat (not the NMS flavor) wagon in TDI form.
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      04-04-2012 07:18 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by groupracer View Post
      F' again...

"Currently, there are no plans to bring this vehicle to market in the U.S., but the concept is set to gauge market reaction to a potential future model that is similarly sized and combines offroad ability with wagon versatility."
      X2

It's OK - you know that VW can be the number one car seller in the world by excluding the U.S. market out of many of their models We can't get the cool small cars or vans, but we do get a rebadged Dodge van as the Routan

I used to be a Volkswagen driver, now I'm just a fan of the old air cooled models. My 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta was my last VW. I can't afford your newer models anymore, so I will probably end up buying Korean for my next car. I'm even considering a Forcus or Fiesta and I NEVER thought I would ever consider buying an American car. Here's to the good old days!

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      04-04-2012 07:50 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      X2

It's OK - you know that VW can be the number one car seller in the world by excluding the U.S. market out of many of their models We can't get the cool small cars or vans, but we do get a rebadged Dodge van as the Routan

I used to be a Volkswagen driver, now I'm just a fan of the old air cooled models. My 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta was my last VW. I can't afford your newer models anymore, so I will probably end up buying Korean for my next car. I'm even considering a Forcus or Fiesta and I NEVER thought I would ever consider buying an American car. Here's to the good old days!
      Feeling you 100+% here. I'm liking the Focus hatch in Titanium trim; shame it's missing Xenons and a 6-speed manual option at that spec for the US market. I would buy a Ford (new Focus and upcoming Euro Mondeo replacement, the Fusion I believe?) without looking back and this is coming from a hardcore VAG-head.
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

22. 04-04-2012 08:00 AM #47
      I'm a long time owner of many VW/Audi vehicles. I still love them, but I'll burn in hell before I own another Jetta TDI, so I won't be buying a butched-up version of one of those.

That being said, a Passat alltrack for the US market is a complete no-brainer. The ONLY competitor left in the market at the price point is the Outback and Subaru sold 67,000 of those last year. SIXTY-SEVEN THOUSAND of what is quite possibly one of the ugliest cars on the road. I know many people who have bought these things for years and continue to do so due to a lack of a credible alternative. VWoA, if it has any market sense (proof exists for a "yes" and "no" answer here) would be foolish to not to bring this car over in at least the short term to test its market value, and if it works, start production in the US to meet demand. Federalizing the current Passat Alltrack for three years gives VWoA a full market year to gauge interest and two full market years to design a wagon version of the US Passat variant and prep the assembly line. This is no different than what GM is doing with the very popular Regal, which is imported from Germany until the US plant comes on line.

The most logical place to build it is Chatanooga. Wagons are a simple variant to produce on an assembly line, and it's much simpler to add a parallel body line of robot welders than it is to do the same with the drivetrain line. Ford did this for years in the Edison plant where the Rangers were built.

the Jetta wagon, in my opinion, is a little on the small side to compete against the Outback, and its far, far too small to compete against the real threat of mid-range CUV's like the Traverse, Edge, and Venza. The Passat is the only credible platform from which to base this car. A bonus, I think would be to offer the car with the pumped R20 motor from the Golf as the base engine. It costs VW nothing to do this and will cement the idea of a hot wagon in the public mind. Wagons, in base form, cannot compete against CUV's in the US market. The car needs an additional differentiator to raise awareness and get butts in driver seats.

and one last thing - put a stick shift on the option sheet. again, this is a near-zer cost thing for VW to add, and it doesn't matter if only 5 people buy it, the blogosphere and press will love it and for that alone it will be worth it in free advertizing for a new model.

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      04-04-2012 08:02 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by FractureCritical View Post
      I'm a long time owner of many VW/Audi vehicles. I still love them, but I'll burn in hell before I own another Jetta TDI, so I won't be buying a butched-up version of one of those.

That being said, a Passat alltrack for the US market is a complete no-brainer. The ONLY competitor left in the market at the price point is the Outback and Subaru sold 67,000 of those last year. SIXTY-SEVEN THOUSAND of what is quite possibly one of the ugliest cars on the road. I know many people who have bought these things for years and continue to do so due to a lack of a credible alternative. VWoA, if it has any market sense (proof exists for a "yes" and "no" answer here) would be foolish to not to bring this car over in at least the short term to test its market value, and if it works, start production in the US to meet demand. Federalizing the current Passat Alltrack for three years gives VWoA a full market year to gauge interest and two full market years to design a wagon version of the US Passat variant and prep the assembly line. This is no different than what GM is doing with the very popular Regal, which is imported from Germany until the US plant comes on line.

The most logical place to build it is Chatanooga. Wagons are a simple variant to produce on an assembly line, and it's much simpler to add a parallel body line of robot welders than it is to do the same with the drivetrain line. Ford did this for years in the Edison plant where the Rangers were built.

the Jetta wagon, in my opinion, is a little on the small side to compete against the Outback, and its far, far too small to compete against the real threat of mid-range CUV's like the Traverse, Edge, and Venza. The Passat is the only credible platform from which to base this car. A bonus, I think would be to offer the car with the pumped R20 motor from the Golf as the base engine. It costs VW nothing to do this and will cement the idea of a hot wagon in the public mind. Wagons, in base form, cannot compete against CUV's in the US market. The car needs an additional differentiator to raise awareness and get butts in driver seats.

and one last thing - put a stick shift on the option sheet. again, this is a near-zer cost thing for VW to add, and it doesn't matter if only 5 people buy it, the blogosphere and press will love it and for that alone it will be worth it in free advertizing for a new model.
      What is an R20? LOL sarcasm. You mean 2.0T from the Golf R / Audi TTS

04-04-2012 12:22 PM #49

• Six-speed stick
      • TDI
      • 4MOTION

Sign me up.
      Last edited by RSDA; 04-04-2012 at 12:59 PM.
      2000 Passat | 2007 GTI | 2008 Rabbit | 2011 Tiguan | 2015 GTI (SE, black, stick, 4-door, lighting)

Vehicles
      93 Cabby, 04 Passat, 4mo/5spd/1.8T/wagon
      04-04-2012 01:48 PM #50
      I definaltely want one. VW send me the brochures as soon as its released.

I have a 2004, 1.8t, passat wagon 4 motion, manual. its got plenty of life left in it, but, this all track is right now the only viable replacement out there.

I would put my order in for 1 with a TDI please, 4motion and manual trans of that can be done. Dont really care about the color combo either.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast