Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Alltrack Concept at 2012 NYC Auto Show

1. 04-06-2012 03:33 PM #71
      We are leaning towards the XC60 as our next family hauler, but this would be my personal first choice if they'd bring it. Love it!

Vehicles
      black 2012 VW Golf
      04-06-2012 03:50 PM #72
      It almost looks like a Dodge Journey.

3. 04-07-2012 07:28 AM #73
      I've owned two vw wagons a 2008 passat 2.0t & currently have a '10 jsw TDI these cars offer an intelligent alternative to the huge fuel slurping SUVs' that every other company offers. I say bring it vw I live in flat Florida so I really don't need awd, but I would still choose it if it were an option IMO its the best all around vehicle for a family guy. I absolutely love my jsw, and mods are endless c'mon vw we need this I love Audis, but I'm not fond of their service nor the prices they come with.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      MkIII GTi VR6
      04-07-2012 03:16 PM #74
      Oh look, a Volkswagen Outback.

Doesn't matter, we won't get it anyway.

VWoA... stop forcing me to buy Subarus! PLEASE!

Vehicles
      2008 CW R32 #3549, 2009 Precor EFX 576i (normally aspirated)
      04-07-2012 08:12 PM #75
      Once again it's frustrating to be teased with things like this that I think would have a market here.

Wagons are on the comeback. Even Lexus has one now. I know all wheel drive wagons may not appeal to some segments of the US, but with the success of things like the Legacy/Outback I don't know why they don't think it would be worth it to sell them here, even if they have to manufacture it in the US?

6. 04-08-2012 11:54 PM #76
      Sometimes I think there are two VWs. There is the VW that operates in Europe and much of the rest of the world and then there is VW in North America (US and Canada). The former builds and sells interesting and innovative cars. The latter is all about limiting customer choice and really odd product planning.

Case in point. This winter I was in Australia. What did I see in a small rural dealership in this country of 23 million people? A GTD, two Sciroccos, and a range of models that would put the VW North America product line to shame. Not only that but the salesman I spoke with was quick to point out that the full European option list was available for order. No silly packages but the real deal. Were the cars expensive? Yes, but at least they were available.

Fast forward back to North America. VW builds a new factory to produce a unique Passat model for the US and Canada. OK our needs may be different from the rest of the world but does that include leaving out modern technologies like HID headlights and advanced driver assists? Huh. Who buys the Passat. I bet it's families and mature adults who benefit from these technologies. And what happened to the wagon. Can't a modern, state of the art assembly line build a wagon as well as a sedan? I don't get it.

When I read about VW technology on Vortex I get excited. Diesel electric hybrids, Yeah bring 'em on. Then I go to my local dealer and I see a product line that is at least 5 years behind the 8 ball. What gives? I have to conclude that there are two different VWs out there. One for them and one for us. Too bad.

Vehicles
      mk6 jsw tdi (current) '04 24vmkiv (gone), 89 vanagon syncro (rip)
      04-09-2012 12:21 AM #77
      bring to U.S. please - I've got a tdi jsw, and would def be interested in stepping up to this in tdi form
      http://photobucket.com/gt-ire

2010 Sportwagen TDI. H&R Sport Springs, Apr Tune, and some wheels. Thule Aero bars. Recaro child seat Simple, just like I like it.

Vehicles
      94' Corrado VR-SC'd, 00' A4 Q/Avant, 82' Jetta, 12' Countryman All4
      04-09-2012 09:13 AM #78
      looks good in person.
      This was a fully functional model, not a prototype.

If they were judging 'customer feedback' you'd think that it would not have limo tint on ALL the windows. People would like to peep the interior ya know.

The DubNutz OEM & Performance parts in Long Island. Autotech, Quaife, ST, KW, Koni, Tein, JE, ClutchMasters, StopTech, Samco, Whiteline, TT, VF-E, Euro body accessories, TDN performance Mounts and lots more. Lowest Prices on ST Coilovers! ask

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat VR6 4mo Wagon White/Nav
      04-09-2012 11:01 AM #79
      I adore my 2008 Passat Wagon 3.6 4Mo. I have had it two years (CPO purchase) and I drive 20K miles/year. I need a replacement and with tall children (currently 5'10" at 13 and 6'2" at 17) this 5'10" mom needs space. Audi's are smaller; Beemers, not my style; and Suburus, well... not enough passenger space and not enough farfegnugen! I'm closing in on 80K miles and I need a replacement right about 2014....

Take my money. I am ordering Candy White, beige interior, diesel preferred. Passat sized. We have a Jetta Sportwagen TDI too and it is neither as solid nor big as the Passat, and I prefer both. I would even pony up for the German made version (in fact I would prefer it).

Vehicles
      97 Jetta GLX, 04.5 Jetta GLI
      04-09-2012 09:17 PM #80
      This car is amazing, and just so you know the interior is nothing amazingly special, just euro spec and features we would probably never see over here but I love it! I would love to have this car!

Vehicles
      2010 Passat Variant
      04-10-2012 04:20 PM #81
      Passat wagon owner since 2000. I am hooked on the wagon format (no crossover trendiness factor needed for me). I would buy this car. 2.0 TSI or 2.0 TDI. Base it off the US Passat platform if you have to. VWoA, just do it!
      2010 Passat Variant Komfort : Island Gray : 2.0 TSI + DSG, FTW!

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      04-10-2012 04:23 PM #82
      So if this thing makes it state-side - will it be based on the Euro Passat wagon? Please say yes.

Hear it is COMING in a TDI This might be the next [future] family hauler!
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

Vehicles
      2010 TR GTI
      04-10-2012 04:25 PM #83
      and then proceeds to beat us with the stick....

I'd trade my GTI on a TDI AllTrack tomorrow.

For all the good it would do....

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      04-12-2012 01:22 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by CorradoMagic View Post
      If they were judging 'customer feedback' you'd think that it would not have limo tint on ALL the windows. People would like to peep the interior ya know.
      Rather than build a Passat Alltrack from scratch based on our larger North American Passat, they did the cheaper, easier, sensible thing and imported their European Passat Alltrack. I suspect that the exceptionally heavy tint was so that we wouldn't get envious of all the extra stuff the Euro market gets to pay for that we don't. So this way, they get to show it off and just give people the line that the interior is similar to the Passat and not have to explain that this is actually a European spec car or why there's all these extra buttons and features that will never see production on a potential NA market variant.

As for all the extra features in question that have been removed from the NA spec Passat, I'm sure that as it becomes more and more common for a typical midsize sedan to come equipped with this tech, VW will be pressured to add it as at least an option. With the midsize segment being as competitive as it is, there's no way they wouldn't eventually add something that every other competitor in the segment had. It's just a matter of how long until the tech trickles down from the more premium automakers to the average consumer product level for our market.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

15. 04-12-2012 11:26 AM #85
      yes, I'd buy one. Prefer a manual and more than 1.2 inches extra ground clearance.

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      04-12-2012 12:30 PM #86
      Count me in! - I don't need AWD, but would love the 190HP TDI wagon as a future vehicle for us. The JSW we have is nice, but a bit on the small size.
      We came from a 91 Passat wagon, to a 2001 Focus Wagon to the 2011 JSW TDI and who knows what is next. IF there is a Passat Wagon, you can bet it will be SERIOUSLY considered!
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

04-12-2012 04:07 PM #87
      Subahroo produced and successfully excuted this "concept" 15 years ago...
      Is VW's product cycle based on dog years or a calendar cycle the rest of us dont know about?

18. 04-13-2012 01:37 PM #88
      I've been looking for an AWD vehicle to replace my Golf TDI with. My wife has a Tiguan, so I don't want two of the same thing in the house. Other than the Tig, VW doesn't offer an "affordable" AWD car here in the US. Honestly, my only real option if I want to stay under $30K and keep to a hatchback/sedan (not an SUV) is to go Subaru. I've been giving the Legacy a really long look lately. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the so-so fuel economy. If VW said today with 100% certainty that this concept would be released in the US priced around $27-28K base I would put down a deposit within 10 minutes of the announcement.
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 4Mo 3.6L Wagon, 98 VRt, 2010 Routan/Caravan :)
      04-13-2012 07:03 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
      If this was a regular Passat wagon then YES! The Alltrack is overkill and a little hard on the eyes.

Just bring a regular Passat (not the NMS flavor) wagon in TDI form.
      I agree. To me, it looks almost identical (except for some small visual improvements) as the B6 Wagon. The interior is only slightly different than the B6 Wagon VR6.

I don't get it. What's the deal with this "Allroad" phenomenon? It's just a B6 Wagon sitting a bit higher with some goodies to protect the engine and trans if you go offroad. And who actually takes these wagons off road anyway???

I'm all for a new VW...hell I love almost everything VW, but the reason this won't ever be built is because they just removed the Passat Wagon from USA...why would they essentially bring it back in a rebadged "all road" variation?

Correct me if I'm wrong but maybe I'm missing some vital differences between the two???

Vehicles
      04-14-2012 10:25 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by randomkoreanguy View Post
      Rather than build a Passat Alltrack from scratch based on our larger North American Passat, they did the cheaper, easier, sensible thing and imported their European Passat Alltrack. I suspect that the exceptionally heavy tint was so that we wouldn't get envious of all the extra stuff the Euro market gets to pay for that we don't. So this way, they get to show it off and just give people the line that the interior is similar to the Passat and not have to explain that this is actually a European spec car or why there's all these extra buttons and features that will never see production on a potential NA market variant.

As for all the extra features in question that have been removed from the NA spec Passat, I'm sure that as it becomes more and more common for a typical midsize sedan to come equipped with this tech, VW will be pressured to add it as at least an option. With the midsize segment being as competitive as it is, there's no way they wouldn't eventually add something that every other competitor in the segment had. It's just a matter of how long until the tech trickles down from the more premium automakers to the average consumer product level for our market.
      You are correct on the interior! I have seen buttons that I have never seen on a VW before! Also they have been doing market research for 2 days now....so just keep your fingers crossed seems most people want it just depends on price!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      04-14-2012 11:44 PM #91
      funny... that VW marketing....

when they asked how it compare to the Crosstour.... did they not realize the existence of the Outback? or XC70... and the old A6 Allroad (and the new a4 allroad)???? this is for the $5 starbucks gift card survey

wasn't too bohered by the limo tint.... since I do have a B6 Passat wagon....and people could just walk to the 2013 CC on display

if it costs less than the old VR6 4Motion.... ie maybe $35k .... i would buy it
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 4Mo 3.6L Wagon, 98 VRt, 2010 Routan/Caravan :)
      04-15-2012 08:12 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      if it costs less than the old VR6 4Motion.... ie maybe $35k .... i would buy it
      Not trying to sound like a troll but I'd recommend you "lower it" once you buy it.
      And I doubt it'll cost ~$35k. By the way, it won't be sold here in the US because Vw has made it clear they won't cannibalize Audi sales. Least that's my opinion but I'm no expert.
      Seems (as you mentioned) a bit too close to the Audi wagons.

Vehicles
      Current: 2003 A4 Avant, 2012 Q5
      04-15-2012 01:18 PM #93
      These "teases" from VW are why I own Audi's now.

24. 04-15-2012 09:23 PM #94
      This thing is not coming to the US. I was just at the booth at the NYAS and there was hardly anyone even giving this thing a look. There were far more people looking at the new beetle right next to this thing. Honestly this vehicle is larger than I would need, but I am looking for a VWAG AWD, TDI, CAR. If this came, I would put my money down on it. Till then, I'm driving my golf till the wheels fall off. Which is a verrrry long time from now.

Vehicles
      04-15-2012 11:21 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Daemon688 View Post
      This thing is not coming to the US. I was just at the booth at the NYAS and there was hardly anyone even giving this thing a look. There were far more people looking at the new beetle right next to this thing. Honestly this vehicle is larger than I would need, but I am looking for a VWAG AWD, TDI, CAR. If this came, I would put my money down on it. Till then, I'm driving my golf till the wheels fall off. Which is a verrrry long time from now.
      I am not sure when you came, but since I work the booth for VW I was there all week and I can't believe how many people actually want it! I had hundreds that said bring it and I was only 1 of 19 that was working the booth. I also talked to the marketing people and almost everyone they talked to wanted it just worried about the cost!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat Lux - Cobalt Blue / 2001.5 Passat
      04-16-2012 03:15 PM #96
      Bring it PLEASE!!!!

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      04-17-2012 01:46 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by nater View Post
      I agree. To me, it looks almost identical (except for some small visual improvements) as the B6 Wagon. The interior is only slightly different than the B6 Wagon VR6.

I don't get it. What's the deal with this "Allroad" phenomenon? It's just a B6 Wagon sitting a bit higher with some goodies to protect the engine and trans if you go offroad. And who actually takes these wagons off road anyway???

I'm all for a new VW...hell I love almost everything VW, but the reason this won't ever be built is because they just removed the Passat Wagon from USA...why would they essentially bring it back in a rebadged "all road" variation?

Correct me if I'm wrong but maybe I'm missing some vital differences between the two???
      It's a matter of perception. Does everyone realize the Outback is really just a Legacy wagon on stilts? Probably. (I mean, it's hard to miss the obvious.) The Passat Alltrack is essentially the same thing: a Passat wagon on stilts with a bit of extra soft-roading bits thrown in for good measure. Does it make a huge difference compared to a normal 4Motion wagon? Realistically, no. But in the minds of the buying public, it's just that extra half step closer to being a full on SUV and that's what makes the difference. Just ask Mercedes, they're the kings of manipulating perception. Take a good hard look at the G-wagen... it's borderline obscene what they charge for what's essentially just an old German military vehicle with a ton of luxury bits thrown onto it, but people buy it, people want it, and the darn thing actually sells in decent enough numbers that they keep postponing its retirement. (I mean, at this rate they'll never retire the thing.)

The extra SUV bits give people a sense of ease, comfort, and security that they're making a good compromise on something that's SUV-ish enough to suit their desire to go soft-roading, but keeps the significant portion of its car DNA so that it retains most of the benefits of owning a sedan/estate/wagon. I mean, most people's idea of off-roading is driving down an unpaved gravel road, so technically even a GTI could realistically perform equally well but again, it's not about that, it's about perception. In a capitalist free market society, companies will sell what people are willing to buy and gosh darnit, if they want to buy an all-wheel drive wagon on stilts, who is VW to deny them the right to spend their hard earned money the way they want to?

It's been a pretty fantastic formula for Subaru. I think it's about time someone else finally offered a real alternative. Considering the fairly miniscule numbers of wagons other automakers sell, Subaru just might be onto something and they've been pretty much hogging this niche all to themselves. Last year Subaru sold something like 100k+ Outbacks. That's not just great for a wagon, that's pretty good sales numbers compared to a mainstream midsize family sedan. (By way of comparison, I think Acura predicted it would sell 5000 TSX Sportwagons the entire year. VW hasn't sold 100k Passats per annum in our market in nearly a decade.)

-- And as an aside, it's also a great opportunity for the enthusiasts to get a hold of a wagon again and since it's only a few steps removed from a regular Passat wagon, I'm sure there'll be people who'll lower it back to 'normal' height (or lower), swap the Alltrack specific bumpers and such for standard ones or .:R Line bits and such. Any excuse to get a wagon over here again, right?

I should probably also state somewhere that I find it to be strangely appealing. If it came with the full features of the Euro version (skid plates, off-road program, diff lock), I would seriously consider getting one. I've always loved hatchbacks and wagons and the idea of having a go-anywhere wagon is very alluring. (I use the term 'go-anywhere' very loosely. It's clearly not a Jeep Wrangler. That being said, I would personally rather compromise on the side of comfort than on the side of greater off-roadability, but that's just me.)
      Last edited by randomkoreanguy; 04-17-2012 at 03:15 AM.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GT2871 TT Q coupe, 1969 RS Camaro
      04-17-2012 01:12 PM #98
      This car is SO lame! I really hated it when companies do this re badging of an idea. Oldsmobile Bravada/GMC Blazer or what ever the hell names they had. It even has 'ALL' in it's name like the Allroad. To me it just looks like a complete rip off w/o any ingenuity at all. Maybe Audi can make a smallish, hip van and name it the Eurofan

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      04-18-2012 11:17 PM #99
      The article suggests that they would base it on the US Passat or perhaps more likely the Jetta if it actually comes to pass. The only reason they are showing off a concept based on the Euro Passat is because it already exists so it's a quick and dirty way to get general feedback about the idea. One could argue that it also shows they are not very serious about it.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      04-18-2012 11:22 PM #100
      Suprised no one mentioned... so close to Toyota's Alltrac
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      04-20-2012 08:10 AM #101
      I'm so glad that Volkswagen isn't bringing all of their new innovative models to the U.S. - I owned my last Volkswagen back in 2004 Your loss guys!

32. 04-20-2012 09:37 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636 View Post
      The article suggests that they would base it on the US Passat or perhaps more likely the Jetta if it actually comes to pass. The only reason they are showing off a concept based on the Euro Passat is because it already exists so it's a quick and dirty way to get general feedback about the idea. One could argue that it also shows they are not very serious about it.
      the Jetta wagons sell exceptionally well, they don't need the fluff of the "AllTrak" effect. The Passat wagon, though near and dear to my own heart, has never been a big seller for VW. VW needs to fill a slot between the Tiguan and the Toureg in terms of ize and price, and this car fits nicely. A Jetta wagon would be too small for the type of people VW is looking to attract, exp, when SUV-ish alternates like GM's Chevy/GMC twins get good mpg with the 4 banger and sell like hotcakes.

Vehicles
      '82 2.0 16v Rabbit truck, '06 V8 Touareg, '06 Audi A4 2.0t
      04-20-2012 10:07 AM #103
      I'm probably going to go the way of the Subaru if VAG doesn't get something that is comparable to a Forester. Please build it in Chattanooga!

04-21-2012 02:44 PM #104
      I think VW is going to be left in the dust in north america. They are always too late to the party or they don't care. VW NA new marketing slogan "stripped down and decontent flashy german engineering". VW desperately needs to bring more selection and more innovation. VW keep this German built or German built quality. The passat I rented in munich last week really shows what kind of scam VW is running here. May 14th we have the appointment with Audi and MB. Volkswagen too slow again!
      Keep it German.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat Wagon 2.0T
      04-23-2012 08:02 PM #105
      Too slow is right. Why haven't they brought over the Scirroco already?

VW marketing is about Darth Vader and Crashing cars...scraping the bottom of the barrel if you ask me. If your product is what people want it sells itself...get a clue VW-NA!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast