Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Volkswagen Alltrack Concept at 2012 NYC Auto Show

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat Wagon 2.0T
      04-28-2012 01:34 PM #106
      While attending our Daughter's Math Competition in Auburn Hills MI, I stopped in for a quick visit at the VW of North America Headquarters yesterday.

They have a large building and parking lot. They seem to be doing well since the parking lot was mostly full. There's also a substantial scetion in front where only VW/Audi cars are allowed to park. It's obviously closer to the building than the Brand X parking lot.

I spoke to the "receptionist" - a young man wearing a Security Uniform. I informed him that I was a Passat owner and asked if it would be possible to speak to a marketing person. He said that would not be possible and refered me to the company website. He pointed to a large door off the right side of the Lobby and said there used to be some cars to look at there but they did away with it a while back. He also volunteered that he owned a GTI.

There are two old VW Beetles parked in the Lobby. One is robins egg blue and the other is black. Both are in excellent condition. I took pics of both...there's absolutely nothing else of interest beyond these two cars. Maybe Chattanooga is the VW Place for customer excitement now?

I was hoping the visit to VWNA would be along the lines of the AutoStadt in Wolfsburg, Germany or at least something to engage visiting VW customers...but it wasn't even close to that...mostly I was disappointed and think it's pityful that a VW owner in the building is no cause for the marketing department to do anything.

No wonder they seem so out of touch? Or maybe they're frustrated as I am? I wonder if VW is mainly focused on the home market and China? If the Chattanooga investment doesn't do well for the foreseeable future I predict we'll get only more of the same lackluster treatment of the US Market concerning the VW Brand.

2. 05-22-2012 03:43 PM #107
      And PLEASE make it have some towing capacity!!! I need a vehicle to tow my race motorcycle and really hate the idea of having to purcahse a truck or SUV to tow less than 2000lbs a few times a year.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      05-22-2012 04:01 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Memphis R32 View Post
      And PLEASE make it have some towing capacity!!! I need a vehicle to tow my race motorcycle and really hate the idea of having to purcahse a truck or SUV to tow less than 2000lbs a few times a year.
      The only hitches available for us are 1-1/4" AND will not fit the Alltrack....
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

05-24-2012 11:29 AM #109
      Please VW don't suck the german life out of passat alltrack like the jetta and passat is now.
      Keep it German.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-25-2012 03:32 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by uhrgenau View Post
      Can't a modern, state of the art assembly line build a wagon as well as a sedan? I don't get it.
      They did offer a wagon, and no one bought it. If they build one in the US, that could help reduce the price, sufficiently. At any rate, I think VW has more important cars to worry about, in the US: a larger-than-Tiguan CUV, and a 7-seater, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by CorradoMagic View Post
      This was a fully functional model, not a prototype.
      That's because VW brought the car over as is - as it is sold in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by R11S View Post
      While attending our Daughter's Math Competition in Auburn Hills MI, I stopped in for a quick visit at the VW of North America Headquarters yesterday....

I spoke to the "receptionist" - a young man wearing a Security Uniform. I informed him that I was a Passat owner and asked if it would be possible to speak to a marketing person. He said that would not be possible and refered me to the company website.

...there's absolutely nothing else of interest beyond these two cars. Maybe Chattanooga is the VW Place for customer excitement now?

I was hoping the visit to VWNA would be along the lines of the AutoStadt in Wolfsburg, Germany or at least something to engage visiting VW customers...but it wasn't even close to that...mostly I was disappointed and think it's pityful that a VW owner in the building is no cause for the marketing department to do anything.

No wonder they seem so out of touch?
      Your problem is that you in fact did not visit Volkswagen Group of America's headquarters. That's located in Virginia. I think it's you who is out of touch.

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      05-26-2012 02:04 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      They did offer a wagon, and no one bought it. If they build one in the US, that could help reduce the price, sufficiently. At any rate, I think VW has more important cars to worry about, in the US: a larger-than-Tiguan CUV, and a 7-seater, for example.
      After a bit of reading on this whole subject, I've decided that the Alltrack wouldn't be bad as a Sportwagen successor if implemented correctly. It's closest competitors would be from Subaru in the form of the Crosstrek and the Outback. (The Crosstrek being a lifted Impreza, and the Outback being a lifted Legacy.) Offering an estimated 33 mpg via CVT, the Crosstrek doesn't offer much in the way of extra offroad goodies besides the higher ride height. Assuming this comes as a TDI and with the fancy offroad mode the Euro market Alltrack comes with, that already gives it a huge advantage in features, offroadability, and fuel economy. Moving onto the larger Outback, near as I can tell it doesn't have any kind of special offroad mode program either, but it does have skid plates standard on some trim levels. It also gets worse fuel economy than the Crosstrek at 29 mpg for the smaller 2.5i and 25 mpg for the 3.6R.

Assuming that the North American Alltrack will be based on the current Jetta platform, that should make it bigger than the old Sportwagen, but smaller than the current NA market Passat, and pretty close in size to the Euro market Passat. Given VW's history of offering fantastic, upscale interiors, an Alltrack would (hopefully) have a much nicer interior than a same priced Subaru competitor vehicle. That, in addition to the better fuel economy and overall nicer offroad tech toys, would be enough, I think, to steal away a good percentage of potential customers who are flocking to Subaru in part because they don't really have any true alternatives.

What puzzles me is why all the other automakers are apparently sleeping while Subaru quietly runs off with all of these offroad wagon sales from right under their collective noses. Subaru has had very poor sales with its full blown SUV, but its offroad wagon keeps increasing its sales numbers year over year and somehow none of the other manufacturers have figured out the pattern therein.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-27-2012 06:40 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by randomkoreanguy View Post
      What puzzles me is why all the other automakers are apparently sleeping while Subaru quietly runs off with all of these offroad wagon sales from right under their collective noses.
      Those sales aren't all that great, actually, when compared to the big ones. Subaru sold 26,310 vehicles in April, versus 37,525 for VW. The past two years Subaru and VW were head-to-head, most of the time. VW's gains are completely outside the AWD market. Also, on the flip side, Ford sold 180,350 in the same period.

Of course, outside the US -- world-wide and unlike Subaru -- VW Group is a big player in the top three, destined to become number one, shortly.

06-07-2012 10:42 AM #113
      Through some VW connections I'm hearing JSW alltrack is being considered for next gen, has anyone else heard the same?
      Keep it German.

Vehicles
      06-07-2012 11:52 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by VW_Hippie View Post
      Through some VW connections I'm hearing JSW alltrack is being considered for next gen, has anyone else heard the same?
      I'm guessing that bringing the "concept" to New York (and by concept, I mean the European spec Passat Alltrack) is pretty much a public admission on VWoA's part that they're considering it pretty heavily. Audi's already done it by replacing the A4 Avant with the A4 Allroad in our market, and Subaru did the same thing much earlier with their Legacy wagon and the Outback. Killing off wagon variants in favor of lifted offroad wagons seems to be working for everyone else. Since Audi won't offer a TDI on the A4 Allroad and the Outback only offers gasoline boxer engines, a TDI JSW Alltrack would be a really nice alternative.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

10. 06-12-2012 01:09 PM #115
      I have been thinking about this car ever since I saw it posted on the front page. Coming from a GTI, I am now in the market for a larger car, and would like to stay with VW, but the Tiguan is too small and the Touareg is too much $$$. My wife leased a Passat and loved it, but does not like "station wagons" though she doesn't mind the "raised" wagon look, since it's kinda CUV-ish. I just came back from a weeklong trip in western NC/Asheville. I saw so many Subaru AWD wagons there and they all reminded me of the Alltrack. That got me thinking that if VW doesn't bring the Alltrack over, I might have to jump ship and consider a Subaru. This is coming from someone who has had VWs in the family since the mid 80s. Please VW, make it happen!

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      06-12-2012 01:36 PM #116
      The one really downer for me of the Outback is the CVT transmission....
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

12. 06-14-2012 09:52 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by rev18gti View Post
      I have been thinking about this car ever since I saw it posted on the front page. Coming from a GTI, I am now in the market for a larger car, and would like to stay with VW, but the Tiguan is too small and the Touareg is too much $$$. My wife leased a Passat and loved it, but does not like "station wagons" though she doesn't mind the "raised" wagon look, since it's kinda CUV-ish. I just came back from a weeklong trip in western NC/Asheville. I saw so many Subaru AWD wagons there and they all reminded me of the Alltrack. That got me thinking that if VW doesn't bring the Alltrack over, I might have to jump ship and consider a Subaru. This is coming from someone who has had VWs in the family since the mid 80s. Please VW, make it happen!
      Sounds like we have a similar story. I just jumped ship, sold my wagon, and bought a Toyota Tundra. We wanted a Touareg for the family but when we realized how small they actually were for what they cost...it was a no go. We ended up at the auto show with our tails between our legs at the VW booth and said "screw it" we're looking at everything. Looked at the Tundra Crew Max and was super impressed with the room in the cab plus it has the utility. Ended up getting it for almost $7k under invoice which was almost $15k under the Touareg. I couldn't be happier with it. Touareg's are almost the same price as a Q7....which I'd rather have anyway. Crazy.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      06-14-2012 12:33 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by cwescapexlt4x4 View Post
      if you get the 3.6L... you get a 5-speed auto

or with the 2.5L motor... as long as it's the the Premium Trim, you can still get a 6MT
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

08-03-2012 06:57 PM #119
      We are looking to jump ship as well. The new jetta and the passat do not turn our crank either. We were hoping VW or Audi would come out with TDI AWD wagon built to euro spec fit and finish. VW's recent interiors make us RUN to Audi and that's until we see total price of a gas wagon with all the bogus dealer fees - I now know why they call them stealerships. Just looking at the limited product offering of VW & Audi. We've come to the conclusion that North America is an afterthought for VAG.
      Last edited by VW_Hippie; 08-03-2012 at 07:01 PM.
      Keep it German.

15. 08-04-2012 09:42 PM #120
      ...this thread, I'm in agreement with just about everything that's been said about what seems to be VAGs' hesitation when it comes to introducing Euro spec'ed models to the US. After taking my trusty '10 JSW TDI to northern Georgia this past week and experiencing it struggle on dirt and gravel inclines, I began to wonder immediately about the AWD option. I knew that VW offered at one time an AWD option.
      Now seeing this prospect of a Jetta Alltrack model, I too would like to have one in TDI fashion. But after years for the Passat wagon to return to the US and seeing it not materialize, I've begun to let my eyes wander over to the Subaru line, specifically the Outback.

I'd like to see VW bring it over, but I'm not sure that's going to happen .

cwescapexlt4x4

What is it about the Sub CVT transmission, that you don't like?

Vehicles
      08-05-2012 02:35 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by my1stvw1 View Post
      ...this thread, I'm in agreement with just about everything that's been said about what seems to be VAGs' hesitation when it comes to introducing Euro spec'ed models to the US. After taking my trusty '10 JSW TDI to northern Georgia this past week and experiencing it struggle on dirt and gravel inclines, I began to wonder immediately about the AWD option. I knew that VW offered at one time an AWD option.
      Now seeing this prospect of a Jetta Alltrack model, I too would like to have one in TDI fashion. But after years for the Passat wagon to return to the US and seeing it not materialize, I've begun to let my eyes wander over to the Subaru line, specifically the Outback.

I'd like to see VW bring it over, but I'm not sure that's going to happen .

What is it about the Sub CVT transmission, that you don't like?
      I think CVT's are one of those things that take getting used to. I'm not very fond of them myself, but I've always preferred a traditional manual. I'd actually much rather have a DSG than a CVT, because it behaves more like a manual whereas a CVT feels really strange if you're not used to it. Also, I'm not entirely convinced it's all that great for performance, especially since there isn't a single serious performance car that uses one. Great for fuel economy, though.

Also, what always keeps me away from Subarus are their interiors. After owning so many VW's, I just find their interiors to be a bit lacking. It's a bit noisy as well inside their cabins. The symmetrical all-wheel drive is, by all accounts, fantastic, and their whole engineering philosophy attracts plenty of enthusiasts, but I would really like a more refined cabin. Just my personal preference.

Vehicles
      2005 Touareg 4.2 V8 1994 Vento 1969 BMW 2002
      07-18-2013 04:06 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      Wagons always get enthusiasts and motoring journalists excited. Funny for some of us that grew up with family wagons with woody sides and couldn't imagine every owning one back then. Anyway, VWoA is dipping their toe in the water with a concept version of the European-only Passat Alltrack to gauge reaction here on this side of the pond. So let's break this down a bit and try and make some guesses as to what VWoA is potentially up to...

FULL STORY...

Jamie what's the word? Are we going to get this for North America?
      Owner

German Connection Autoparts
      www.GCautoparts.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234