Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need some help with groomsmen gifts.

1. 04-02-2012 03:03 PM #1
      Hello all. I would love some feedback and suggestions to help with my upcoming wedding. I have long wanted to give my best man and two groomsmen semi-auto handguns (all are of age and have FOID cards, as per IL law) as gifts but am having a hard time narrowing down my consideration set.

My goal in this was to get these guys a piece that they could use, that looks classy/nice/of quality, and would commemorate the wedding. I would laser etch the slide with some witty saying, the date of the wedding and initials. I really like the look of smaller compact semi-auto's finished in nickle or stainless but am open to other suggestions. I would ideally like to spend around $300-400 for the gun, transfer fee at my local FFL and laser engraving (anyone know a good company for this?) but I am willing to move that number up if its the right piece.

If money was no object I would get 4 Walther PPK .380s in stainless or a quality 1911 style 45 in stainless and call it a day as I think that those are classy handguns.

The Bersa Thunder 380 was recommended by someone at work as a cheaper alternative to the PPK. I have never held/operated one but am interested.

There are quite a few .380 minis and subcompact 9mm out there. Can anyone make some suggestions/thoughts on pistols I should look at?

Thanks!
      Last edited by jimmygomk3; 04-02-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      04-02-2012 03:17 PM #2
      I'd personally go with a revolver like a Charter Arms or something for the sake of price, but nevermind that.

Can I be your friend?
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      03 Passat Wagon
      04-02-2012 03:17 PM #3
      Can I be a groomsmen too, lol! That's a seriously nice groomsmen gift! I have two recommendations, first isn't stainless or nickle finish (although it is stainless slide) would be a glock 19 or 26. I only suggest it because it is a great firearm and would serve well. It is out of your preferred price range though at $499 shipped plus transfer fees.
      IMO the best option in your price range, with a stainless finish is the Kahr CW9. Buds has them for $358 shipped and they are a quality piece.

4. 04-02-2012 03:55 PM #4
      I'd avoid the Bersa like the plague...this is from personal & friend experiences.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

Vehicles
      03 Golf, 94 GS500, 13 WRX
      04-03-2012 01:09 PM #5
      You used to be able to find PT92s for under $400, they look really good in stainless. That would be my vote if you could find someone to give you a volume discount on 4 guns to get it in your price range.

Then again, that slide is already pretty crowded, I don't know where you'd put the laser engraving.

Edit: looks like prices have gone up a bit, or I was mistaken
      Last edited by personman; 04-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Vehicles
      2014 GLI 30th, 1977 TA W72
      04-03-2012 01:21 PM #6
      I'd skip on the engraving. Or at least on the wedding date and "witty" saying.
      Jason • Now 2.0T / 400 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      04-03-2012 07:50 PM #7
      SR9 is just out of your price range.
      http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/52387

Sw9VE is cheap cheap. Right around $310 so probably less than $400 after FFL and taxes on each gun.
      http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ack/Stainless/

Sig2022 is $399
      http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...M+1MAG+EXT+GRP
      Last edited by Power5; 04-03-2012 at 07:57 PM.
      Aaron
      PSN: RealPower5

04-03-2012 08:53 PM #8
      Gold plated desert eagle or nothing!

Serious answer; I would skip the laser etching, seems a bit tacky imo. Kahr CM9 or a custom knife.

Vehicles
      2014 GLI 30th, 1977 TA W72
      04-03-2012 09:22 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Subie J View Post

It's all about the tiger stripe gold deagle.

Jason • Now 2.0T / 400 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

10. 04-04-2012 10:43 AM #10
      Thanks for the replies everyone. I plan to head to my local FFL/store/range this weekend and handle the suggested models.

Quote Originally Posted by Subie J View Post

Serious answer; I would skip the laser etching, seems a bit tacky imo. Kahr CM9 or a custom knife.
      I definitely can see how the laser engraving can be tacky. I guess I should have explained in more detail on my first post but I really wanted to put the first letter of my brides name, an 'and' sign and the first letter of my name along with the date of the wedding more than the saying. I thought this could be done in a smaller scroll type font.

Please feel free to post more suggestions. I will definitely ask my FFL about a discount on the 4 pistols and also try to obtain sequential serial numbers.

Vehicles
      04-04-2012 01:39 PM #11
      Only way I would do the engraving is if you smooth the slide and then do a fresh engraving on a blank side. Can have serrations if you get a DA/SA but all the factory wording will just look too cramped. That will add some serious cost to your plan though. Gunsmith will have to sand the slides down to smooth where the engraving will go. If you do that though I would put some sort of design around the text. No dumb wedding bells or anything but something so its not just text. Dragon or something.
      Aaron

12. 04-04-2012 02:50 PM #12

As already stated the PPK is out of my budget but this is just spot on. I am going to contact the artist and see about engraving pricing. My guess is its too much... but wow that's nice.

13. 04-04-2012 07:22 PM #13
      May I throw an odd-ball idea in here?

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/singl...-cattleman.php

Uberti old-west replicas can be had for under $400 on certain models, and would be classy and cool as heck. Surely someone would hook you up with a volume discount. Then you could likely find someone to custom carve grips or something...

I'm biased though because I bought a Cattleman for my best buddy for his wedding (and in turn myself an 1851 Conversion so we could shoot together)

14. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      04-04-2012 07:37 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      May I throw an odd-ball idea in here?

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/singl...-cattleman.php

Uberti old-west replicas can be had for under $400 on certain models, and would be classy and cool as heck. Surely someone would hook you up with a volume discount. Then you could likely find someone to custom carve grips or something...

I'm biased though because I bought a Cattleman for my best buddy for his wedding (and in turn myself an 1851 Conversion so we could shoot together)

This idea so far takes the cake. Good grief that'd be cool, and unique.

15. 04-04-2012 08:18 PM #15
      Here's my only reasoning really. Within the price range I see being discussed, you can get a shockingly mediocre semi-auto handgun.

For the same money you can get an awesome, cool, unique gun worth being placed in a shadow box, or even actually used. Even if you never shot the Uberti or similar - you'd still look at it, and go "hell yes...". With something like a cheap semi-auto, you'd just look at it, and think "Meh.".

I believe in hardy fighting guns, but my 1851 without question is the "coolest" gun I own. If it's going to be engraved jewelry status - make it something a bit more unique.

Vehicles
      91 aba jetta, 89 gmc shortbed, 82 GPz550
      04-08-2012 01:45 PM #16
      I'm thinking an engraved box is a better idea than engraving the gun itself. The case hardened uberti 1858 remington is a beautiful piece but they are a real pain to load and clean.

I'd love to kick your poodle. I'd love to slig your cat. I'll bust your yanni cds with a baseball bat. I'd send your fat-mouth mama sailing like the flying nun. I'd like to shoot you in the a$$ with a bb gun.

17. 04-08-2012 10:11 PM #17
      I've heard a lot of good things about the bersa 380s...never shot one though.

I'll add smith j frame to the mix. They run about 350. If you bought four of them I bet they could give you a deal or throw in some extras or something. Plus a j frame is about as good as it gets as far as versatility goes for the money, just make sure you get one that you can fire single action...
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      The regulars here are actually pretty supportive, despite what the idiotic posters think.

18. 04-08-2012 11:40 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by dillweed983 View Post
      I'm thinking an engraved box is a better idea than engraving the gun itself. The case hardened uberti 1858 remington is a beautiful piece but they are a real pain to load and clean.

^You can get cartridge firing copies though, so no need to do black powder. My 1851 Navy conversion fires simple .38 special.

PS: Engraved boxes would be cool, and probably pretty cheap by comparison. Get a different pattern Cattleman for each groomsman or something (they have a dozen different finishes/colours)

19. Banned
      Vehicles
      G37s
      04-10-2012 02:55 AM #19

Perfect for home defense and carry (stupid IL laws dont allow carry though), and a practical gun.

Per the advice of others, skip engraving. Also, you can't force someone to determine what classy is. Some guys like poly black guns, others the traditional steel. Most revolvers, however, are known for being steel, look classy, and the judge is the cadillac version. Maybe not quality,as some SW guys would argue, but solid competitor. And can be had around $350.
      Last edited by Polski Ogier; 04-10-2012 at 02:58 AM.

20. 04-10-2012 05:02 AM #20
      The Judge is not even remotely a Cadillac of revolvers...it's like a stripped out muscle car...ugly, big, heavy, and powerful. (actually it's not even that potent, but .410 is fun)

21. 04-10-2012 11:20 AM #21
      Thank you everyone for your replies. I unfortunately did not have time this weekend to get to my local store to handle/fire the suggested models.

I do like the uniqueness of the Uberti Cattleman and will have to check those out in person. The engraved box would add that classy touch I am looking for.

The Judge, while unique screams "we got a bada** over here" more than "classy". Fun suggestion but probably not one I would seriously consider.

I am sure I will find something once I get to my store and handle the suggestions. I just need to make sure that the budget for these gifts does not start a fight with the soon to be mrs...

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 11:48 AM #22
      Tell her you want the gifts so everyone important in your life remembers the most wonderful and happy day of your life.

If that doesn't work, just tell her you are the man and you are getting some guns.

One should work in one way or another.
      Aaron