Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soundaktor (engine noise speaker) on 2.0T

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-02-2012 03:18 PM #1
      Over on the MK6 GTI forums it has been discovered that 2011+ GTI's have what's called a Soundaktor that pipes simulated engine noise into the cabin.

<---- that was my reaction

On the GTI the controller is under the rain tray right next to the ECM and only takes about 2 minutes to unplug. The "speaker" is mounted to the center windshield support along the firewall and harder to get to. It basically sends vibrations into the firewall and windshield to create simulated engine noise in the cabin.

Full details in this 25 page (and growing) thread: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33595

I have disconnected mine and the sound difference is striking. The car is much quieter and all of the deeper resonating bass is just gone. The thing is, this is also on the TT as well, probably starting in 2011, but who knows. At least the 2011's and newer definitely have fake engine noise in the cabin. The actual part numbers are Audi parts, and all the documentation points to this being in use in the Jetta GLI, Beetle Turbo, GTI, Golf R, S3, and TT.

I'm posting in here because my boss has a 2011 Audi TT 2.0T, and after riding in my newly quiet GTI today, he's wondering if I can disconnect his Sounaktor. I would, but I'm not sure if it's in the same place on the TT, and I'd rather not start ripping into my boss's rain tray if it's not in there. Page 20 of the above thread shows how to get to it on the GTI.

Anybody have any idea? I'd love to help out my boss.
      2011 GTI AB DSG 4D CSG APR Stage 2 / APR Carbonio / 42DD Downpipe / S3 IC / DG Springs & Konis / Enkei Raijin's / etc.

2. 04-02-2012 09:27 PM #2
      This thread intrigues me. I am an ardent admirer of quiet cars, no matter what I am driving. Loved my son's VW Phaeton. Expecting delivery on my TT coupe in June or July. It will always be driven with the windows closed. I certainly do not want extraneous, superfluous noise "enhancing" my drive. Would unplugging the Soundaktor void the warrenty?

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-07-2012 10:55 AM #3
      I can't believe nobody in here (other than somebody who doesn't even have their car yet) is interested in this?
      2011 GTI AB DSG 4D CSG APR Stage 2 / APR Carbonio / 42DD Downpipe / S3 IC / DG Springs & Konis / Enkei Raijin's / etc.

Vehicles
      2014 BMW Touring / Sport Line
      04-07-2012 11:12 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by veedoubleme View Post
      ...The thing is, this is also on the TT as well, probably starting in 2011, but who knows. At least the 2011's and newer definitely have fake engine noise in the cabin. The actual part numbers are Audi parts, and all the documentation points to this being in use in the Jetta GLI, Beetle Turbo, GTI, Golf R, S3, and TT.
      While the 2011 TT might have it, my 2011 TTS doesn't. So maybe he could just switch to a TTS?

Byron

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-07-2012 11:42 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by SoSuMi View Post
      While the 2011 TT might have it, my 2011 TTS doesn't. So maybe he could just switch to a TTS?
      The TTRS does not, but are you sure the TTS doesn't? The Golf R has it, and I think the TTS does as well. Golf R owners didn't think they did until somebody opened up the rain tray and it was sitting right there.

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 01:15 PM #6
      The TTRS does not, but are you sure the TTS doesn't? The Golf R has it, and I think the TTS does as well. Golf R owners didn't think they did until somebody opened up the rain tray and it was sitting right there.
      While I'm not 100% sure, I believe that Audi did away with it post 2010 in the TTS. And the TTRS certainly doesn't need it. I've only heard the RS sound on the 'net' and never in the wild but that alone nearly justifies the RS price.

Byron

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-08-2012 02:47 PM #7
      While I'm not 100% sure, I believe that Audi did away with it post 2010 in the TTS. And the TTRS certainly doesn't need it. I've only heard the RS sound on the 'net' and never in the wild but that alone nearly justifies the RS price.
      This was introduced in 2011, not done away with in 2010. If your car has any aggressiveness and deep bass (almost a drone) to the engine noise, as in it's not super quiet, you have one. Just like the Golf R. VW/Audi put it in every "sporty" 2.0T application. In the markets where A6 can be purchased with the 2.0T, they use it as well to make it sound more powerful.

We were all in denial as well, but once the truth was known, everybody that's pulled the plug has preferred the result to having fake noise in their car.

And yeah, the TTRS doesn't need it — LOL! That thing is a beast!

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 11:19 PM #8
      This was introduced in 2011, not done away with in 2010. If your car has any aggressiveness and deep bass (almost a drone) to the engine noise, as in it's not super quiet, you have one. Just like the Golf R. VW/Audi put it in every "sporty" 2.0T application. In the markets where A6 can be purchased with the 2.0T, they use it as well to make it sound more powerful.

We were all in denial as well, but once the truth was known, everybody that's pulled the plug has preferred the result to having fake noise in their car.

And yeah, the TTRS doesn't need it — LOL! That thing is a beast!
      My TTS has that sport setting that tightens up the suspension and steering. It also changes the throttle response. And it used to activate the fart box too. If it is doing that on mine, I sure can't tell the difference. The TTS engine is surprisingly quiet. Maybe I need to crawl around and see what I can find...

Byron

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4-Door DSG / 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      04-20-2012 08:01 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by WGLance View Post
      Would unplugging the Soundaktor void the warrenty?
      I wouldn't think so. I've worked in German Car Dealerships for the past 15 years. If we found something like that unplugged we'd just plug it back in. If you have a decent relationship with your Service Consultant tell him about it just so he knows and can tell the technician. We don't like it when people keep stuff from us and we find out on our own. Be sure to weatherproof the connector and wire tie it out of the way so it doesn't cause any other problems. THIS would not be covered by warranty.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      04-21-2012 11:19 PM #10
      The '11 TT does not have any sound maker, confirmed when I got my car flashed last week.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-22-2012 12:09 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      The '11 TT does not have any sound maker, confirmed when I got my car flashed last week.
      I'm not sure that this "confirms" it, but whatev, I unplugged mine, so I'm set. All I know is that it's a part number from a TT, and my GTI sounded almost exactly like my boss's '11 TT, until I unplugged it.

It's in there... some where...

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      04-22-2012 11:37 AM #12
      I'm not sure that this "confirms" it, but whatev, I unplugged mine, so I'm set. All I know is that it's a part number from a TT, and my GTI sounded almost exactly like my boss's '11 TT, until I unplugged it.

It's in there... some where...
      I really don't know what the big deal is.. does it sap power or something?

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-22-2012 12:33 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      I really don't know what the big deal is.. does it sap power or something?
      Nope, just the automotive equivalent of a fake orgasm.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      traded a 2006 TT for a new MK2 TT.
      04-22-2012 01:40 PM #14
      roll down your window.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2013 Audi Q5
      04-22-2012 04:05 PM #15
      If my '11 TTS has a Soundaktor it needs a tuneup. Had it been working correctly I might not have needed the Milltek cat back. My Golf R sounds great, artificial or not.

One thing I've not heard discussed amidst all the pontificating about the Soundaktor is whether the ECU is playing a recording to it or if there is a sound sensor on the engine picking up the sounds and the Soundaktor just transmits them into the cabin. For all we know it could be amplifying what is there.
      Previous:
      2011 TTS, 2007 Fahrenheit GTI (#493), 2007 RS4 Avus/Ebony CF, 2004 S4 Silver/Ebony 6M, 2001 S4 6M Cactus Green Avant, etc.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-22-2012 04:10 PM #16
      Damn!!!!! Looky what I just found. 2012 TT.

OH MY GAAAAWWWD

I'm just.....I don't know......offended?
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-22-2012 04:15 PM #17
      On the plus side, (if there is one), it is a rediculously easy thing for us to disable. The GTI clan has a more difficult time getting to the plug. Heck.... this is so easy to get to you could wire up a switch without even a challenge.

Now.... Who's going to be the first to unplug it and see if it throws an error? It doesn't for the GTI, but there are lots of differences between these two vehicles.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-22-2012 04:30 PM #18
      I just sent an email to my dealer's service manager. I want to know if Audi will allow me to unplug it without causing errors. I'm not touching it until then.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-22-2012 04:49 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooderTT View Post
      OH MY GAAAAWWWD

And the truth shall set you free!!!

Thank you so much for hunting it down on the TT. Now that I know where it is, I can unplug it for my boss and see if he prefers it that way. I really appreciate it!

It shouldn't throw an error. On the GTI thread, we found the wiring diagrams, which were actually from an Audi. The controller does not feed anything back into the car's data bus. It simply reads vehicle speed, engine seed, engine load, and vehicle data and then the controller generates the sound using that data.

It is not amplifying sound that exists, it is a signal generator. It's as fake as fake can be.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-22-2012 05:04 PM #20
      Thanks for the feedback. I'm still a bit put off by this.

Did they not think this would get out into the public eventually?

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-22-2012 05:43 PM #21
      what? soundaktor is for real? wtf...I thought this was all a joke, looks like the joke is on the owners...
      Last edited by oldster1; 04-22-2012 at 10:03 PM.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8t..RIP. 2012 GTI 4dr DSG base
      04-22-2012 09:32 PM #22
      Damn!!!!! Looky what I just found. 2012 TT.

OH MY GAAAAWWWD

Oh SNAP!!
      Unplug that thing and drive happier!
      2012 GTI, 4-door, DSG, Deep Black Pearl Metallic, Base Model.
      APR K04 Turbo: APR Downpipe: APR Intake Stg-1: APR FMIC: HPA DSG Stage-2:
      Neuspeed Turbo Outlet & TB Pipes: GoFastBits DV+: R32 Belly Pan: Focal IFVW Speakers
      OEM LED Tinted Tail Lights - no fog: Parts4Euro tinted fender markers: Vag-Com mods

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8t..RIP. 2012 GTI 4dr DSG base
      04-22-2012 09:46 PM #23
      I just sent an email to my dealer's service manager. I want to know if Audi will allow me to unplug it without causing errors. I'm not touching it until then.
      Do you really think the dealership will ever tell you to unplug something on your new car?

On the note of "causing errors", you should seriously consider buying VCDS software and cable. You can check the codes on your own. A must-have if you plan to get into working on/ modding your TT.
      2012 GTI, 4-door, DSG, Deep Black Pearl Metallic, Base Model.
      APR K04 Turbo: APR Downpipe: APR Intake Stg-1: APR FMIC: HPA DSG Stage-2:
      Neuspeed Turbo Outlet & TB Pipes: GoFastBits DV+: R32 Belly Pan: Focal IFVW Speakers
      OEM LED Tinted Tail Lights - no fog: Parts4Euro tinted fender markers: Vag-Com mods

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 10:59 AM #24
      Just called my local Audi Service Dept. I asked about the Soundaktor....the service guy said he has never heard of it...interesting...

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 03:05 PM #25
      today I did my first mod. unplugged and removed part# 8Jo 907 601-KKE

Just out of curiosity, I called my dealers parts dept, gave then the # and asked them to describe the part,,,which they did. Parts guy called it a" sound actuator" but said he did not know what it did...ha

MoreGooder.....there are no visible error signs, nothing in the cluster...and I feel better..ahhhhh

Now have a paper weight with a nut in the center of it sitting next to the compooter...
      Last edited by oldster1; 05-01-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-23-2012 03:11 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by oldster1 View Post
      today I did my first mod. unplugged and removed part# 8Jo 907 601-KKE
      Well done sir!

So is the difference pretty noticeable in the TT? I'd assume it's as much as the GTI is, which is pretty damn obvious.

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 05:55 PM #27
      there IS a difference..but I unplugged and removed the little F'er mostly on principle!

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-23-2012 06:08 PM #28
      but I unplugged and removed the little F'er mostly on principle!
      Amen to that!

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-23-2012 07:32 PM #29
      The service tech at my dealer replied. They aren't allowed by Audi to unplug anything. Well, it's my damn car so, I did it anyway. If they even so much as challenge me on this when I take the car in for my next service I'm going to be taking it right up the Audi food chain. I have a feeling that this is just the first swell in the oncoming torrent of pissed off customers they're goign to have to deal with.

It is noticably quieter now. The thing is, I like the way it sounded before this revelation. But now that I know it's a fake sound, I can't plug it back in. I"m OK with fake boobs, but this...... NO.

I feel duped by this. In fact, I went through the expense of installing hushmatt in my car partly so I could hear the engine noises rather than tire roar. HA. The day after I got the car back from the audio installation crew, I discovered this thread. So much for turning off the stereo to enjoy my car's sounds.

30. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 07:41 PM #30
      "I"m OK with fake boobs, but this...... NO."

HA! Point taken. I am with you on the fake thing and plan to talk to my dealership when I take it in for the 1st. oil change. Really, what are they thinking....

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2013 Audi Q5
      04-24-2012 03:44 AM #31
      "I"m OK with fake boobs, but this...... NO."

HA! Point taken. I am with you on the fake thing and plan to talk to my dealership when I take it in for the 1st. oil change. Really, what are they thinking....
      They're thinking that current regulations don't let them make a car with engine sounds loud enough to be heard inside the cabin and that drivers want to hear engine sounds.
      Previous:
      2011 TTS, 2007 Fahrenheit GTI (#493), 2007 RS4 Avus/Ebony CF, 2004 S4 Silver/Ebony 6M, 2001 S4 6M Cactus Green Avant, etc.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-24-2012 07:37 AM #32
      Also, as they make cars more and more quiet to wind, road, transmission, engine, and other external noise, it ends up filtering out the good sounds too. They are trying to put it back in. I think they are also trying to make it sound better for people test driving, but who knows.

But the fact that it's completely fake makes you --->

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-28-2012 07:52 AM #33
      Well, it's been a week since unplugging the Soundaktor. I must say that I'm enjoying the sophistication of not hearing the engine. I'm surprised, really, at how much more grown up the car feels now. When I punch the throttle, I don't get a loud engine roar, but instead hear a low volume throaty exhaust.

I'm also now keenly aware of how incredible my new sound system is without the noisemaker adding unwanted sounds into the cabin.

The only downside is that I now notice wind and road noise more. I might even go in for additional Hushmat installation to take car of some of that. Wind noise is probably never going to improve due to the car's inherent aerodynamic inefficiencies. (For that, you need a car shaped like a Prius)

I'm considering wiring up a switch to the soundaktor when my warranty runs out (many years from now). It would be a fun thing to switch on as a conversation piece.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-28-2012 07:58 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by lcrcr View Post
      They're thinking that current regulations don't let them make a car with engine sounds loud enough to be heard inside the cabin and that drivers want to hear engine sounds.

Do you hear that TTRS drivers? You're car's engine is illegal because it's not quiet enough.

Honestly, I'm not sure what regulations make a car's engine quiet. My understanding is that 4 cylinder direct injected engines are inherently very quiet. Perhaps the drive for higher fuel economy has resulted in quieter engines, and that's what you're referring to.

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI
      04-28-2012 08:57 AM #35
      This whole thread has been very entertaining! I am undecided on whether I want to unplug it.... sometimes ignorance truly IS bliss!

Sent using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast