Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soundaktor (engine noise speaker) on 2.0T

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-23-2012 03:11 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by oldster1 View Post
      today I did my first mod. unplugged and removed part# 8Jo 907 601-KKE
      Well done sir!

So is the difference pretty noticeable in the TT? I'd assume it's as much as the GTI is, which is pretty damn obvious.
      2011 GTI AB DSG 4D CSG APR Stage 2 / APR Carbonio / 42DD Downpipe / S3 IC / DG Springs & Konis / Enkei Raijin's / etc.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      traded a 2006 TT for a new MK2 TT.
      04-23-2012 05:55 PM #27
      there IS a difference..but I unplugged and removed the little F'er mostly on principle!

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-23-2012 06:08 PM #28
      but I unplugged and removed the little F'er mostly on principle!
      Amen to that!
      2011 GTI AB DSG 4D CSG APR Stage 2 / APR Carbonio / 42DD Downpipe / S3 IC / DG Springs & Konis / Enkei Raijin's / etc.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-23-2012 07:32 PM #29
      The service tech at my dealer replied. They aren't allowed by Audi to unplug anything. Well, it's my damn car so, I did it anyway. If they even so much as challenge me on this when I take the car in for my next service I'm going to be taking it right up the Audi food chain. I have a feeling that this is just the first swell in the oncoming torrent of pissed off customers they're goign to have to deal with.

It is noticably quieter now. The thing is, I like the way it sounded before this revelation. But now that I know it's a fake sound, I can't plug it back in. I"m OK with fake boobs, but this...... NO.

I feel duped by this. In fact, I went through the expense of installing hushmatt in my car partly so I could hear the engine noises rather than tire roar. HA. The day after I got the car back from the audio installation crew, I discovered this thread. So much for turning off the stereo to enjoy my car's sounds.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      traded a 2006 TT for a new MK2 TT.
      04-23-2012 07:41 PM #30
      "I"m OK with fake boobs, but this...... NO."

HA! Point taken. I am with you on the fake thing and plan to talk to my dealership when I take it in for the 1st. oil change. Really, what are they thinking....

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2013 Audi Q5
      04-24-2012 03:44 AM #31
      "I"m OK with fake boobs, but this...... NO."

HA! Point taken. I am with you on the fake thing and plan to talk to my dealership when I take it in for the 1st. oil change. Really, what are they thinking....
      They're thinking that current regulations don't let them make a car with engine sounds loud enough to be heard inside the cabin and that drivers want to hear engine sounds.
      Previous:
      2011 TTS, 2007 Fahrenheit GTI (#493), 2007 RS4 Avus/Ebony CF, 2004 S4 Silver/Ebony 6M, 2001 S4 6M Cactus Green Avant, etc.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI DSG
      04-24-2012 07:37 AM #32
      Also, as they make cars more and more quiet to wind, road, transmission, engine, and other external noise, it ends up filtering out the good sounds too. They are trying to put it back in. I think they are also trying to make it sound better for people test driving, but who knows.

But the fact that it's completely fake makes you --->

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-28-2012 07:52 AM #33
      Well, it's been a week since unplugging the Soundaktor. I must say that I'm enjoying the sophistication of not hearing the engine. I'm surprised, really, at how much more grown up the car feels now. When I punch the throttle, I don't get a loud engine roar, but instead hear a low volume throaty exhaust.

I'm also now keenly aware of how incredible my new sound system is without the noisemaker adding unwanted sounds into the cabin.

The only downside is that I now notice wind and road noise more. I might even go in for additional Hushmat installation to take car of some of that. Wind noise is probably never going to improve due to the car's inherent aerodynamic inefficiencies. (For that, you need a car shaped like a Prius)

I'm considering wiring up a switch to the soundaktor when my warranty runs out (many years from now). It would be a fun thing to switch on as a conversation piece.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-28-2012 07:58 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by lcrcr View Post
      They're thinking that current regulations don't let them make a car with engine sounds loud enough to be heard inside the cabin and that drivers want to hear engine sounds.

Do you hear that TTRS drivers? You're car's engine is illegal because it's not quiet enough.

Honestly, I'm not sure what regulations make a car's engine quiet. My understanding is that 4 cylinder direct injected engines are inherently very quiet. Perhaps the drive for higher fuel economy has resulted in quieter engines, and that's what you're referring to.

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI
      04-28-2012 08:57 AM #35
      This whole thread has been very entertaining! I am undecided on whether I want to unplug it.... sometimes ignorance truly IS bliss!

Sent using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4-Door DSG / 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      04-30-2012 04:15 PM #36
      I was very disappointed about this myself, but I work for VW and see where they're coming from. Mine has been unplugged for about a week and no problems, no codes. Just a much quieter car. Which I would rather have than fake noise.

Vehicles
      2015 BMW M3
      04-30-2012 05:10 PM #37
      Heh.. first world problems.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-30-2012 08:38 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      Heh.. first world problems.
      Yeah, kinda hard to really feel sorry for us. I mean..... really. We drive cars that most can't even consider.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-30-2012 08:42 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by DasMkVI View Post
      I was very disappointed about this myself, but I work for VW and see where they're coming from. Mine has been unplugged for about a week and no problems, no codes. Just a much quieter car. Which I would rather have than fake noise.
      Inquiring minds want to know: Why do you see where they're coming from? What's the motive for fake noises if not simply to fool the buyer during a test drive?

Vehicles
      2015 BMW M3
      04-30-2012 11:09 PM #40
      The new BMW M5 has a noise maker too.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4-Door DSG / 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      05-01-2012 12:25 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooderTT View Post
      Inquiring minds want to know: Why do you see where they're coming from? What's the motive for fake noises if not simply to fool the buyer during a test drive?
      As cars/engines get quieter and quieter and sound-proofing gets better and better a natural drawback to this is going to be less engine noise heard in the cabin. Most people who drive Golfs and A3's don't want a loud engine. People who drive the sportier versions of cars like this want a little more feedback. To enhance the driving experience VW has chosen to use this Soundaktor.

I never said it was a good idea, or that I liked it. As I said, mine got unplugged as soon as I found out about it. I simply said I understand where they are coming from. And yes, it is technically to fool you. I would have bought my car no matter how it sounded so I don't care.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      05-01-2012 09:52 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by DasMkVI View Post
      As cars/engines get quieter and quieter and sound-proofing gets better and better a natural drawback to this is going to be less engine noise heard in the cabin. Most people who drive Golfs and A3's don't want a loud engine. People who drive the sportier versions of cars like this want a little more feedback. To enhance the driving experience VW has chosen to use this Soundaktor.

I never said it was a good idea, or that I liked it. As I said, mine got unplugged as soon as I found out about it. I simply said I understand where they are coming from. And yes, it is technically to fool you. I would have bought my car no matter how it sounded so I don't care.
      Thank you for clarifying. It's a shame they couldn't just be honest about it though. Now they have no choice. The cat is out.

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI
      06-10-2012 09:06 PM #43
      Crazy! I finally just took a look under the hood and it turns out that I don't have one! LOL! The bracket in the pictures is empty and there is no wire hanging around.

Sent using Tapatalk

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2013 Audi Q5
      06-11-2012 06:31 AM #44
      I'm not convinced the TTS has one, but I've been too lazy to check. My TTS didn't sound anything like my Golf R until I disconnected the Golf's Soundaktor. Now the noises from the front of the car are approximately the same between the two.
      Previous:
      2011 TTS, 2007 Fahrenheit GTI (#493), 2007 RS4 Avus/Ebony CF, 2004 S4 Silver/Ebony 6M, 2001 S4 6M Cactus Green Avant, etc.

20. 06-11-2012 12:03 PM #45
      I am pretty sure there isnt one on the TTS, i checked it myself. But there is a chance that i might have looked right at it and not know it is the soundaktor. so ill say this with a 90% confidence level lol.

Vehicles
      2015 BMW M3
      06-11-2012 12:16 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Gateway1 View Post
      How do we know the TT-RS does not have one?
      um, stand behind it and rev the motor

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      06-14-2012 08:03 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by hichrishigh View Post
      Crazy! I finally just took a look under the hood and it turns out that I don't have one! LOL! The bracket in the pictures is empty and there is no wire hanging around.

Sent using Tapatalk
      Interesting! I wonder if your car was a transitional one, meaning they had the mechanical stuff done for accommodating the noise maker, but not the electrical bits to make use of it yet.

On another note, if my car was a manual, I would have to be constantly looking at the tach to know when to shift due to how quiet the engine is. In fact, if I had a manual, I would actually be inclined to plug the soundaktor back in so that I could hear when to shift.
      Last edited by MoreGooderTT; 06-14-2012 at 08:08 AM.

23. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      11-28-2012 11:36 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      The new BMW M5 has a noise maker too.
      That's what I was thinking about too, when I first heard about Soundaktor in my current Road & Track. They mentioned it in a Turbo Beetle comparison test with a Molester Turbo and Mini Coupe.

Vehicles
      2013 Audi TTRS, 2014 Fiat Abarth, 2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
      11-28-2012 12:17 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooderTT View Post
      Thank you for clarifying. It's a shame they couldn't just be honest about it though. Now they have no choice. The cat is out.
      I doubt they will ever list it on the window sticker.

25. 11-28-2012 01:06 PM #50
      So anybody have a look around in the TT RS for it. ?
      Nobody's Tomorrow is Guaranteed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast