Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soundaktor (engine noise speaker) on 2.0T

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4-Door DSG / 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      04-30-2012 04:15 PM #36
      I was very disappointed about this myself, but I work for VW and see where they're coming from. Mine has been unplugged for about a week and no problems, no codes. Just a much quieter car. Which I would rather have than fake noise.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      04-30-2012 05:10 PM #37
      Heh.. first world problems.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-30-2012 08:38 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      Heh.. first world problems.
      Yeah, kinda hard to really feel sorry for us. I mean..... really. We drive cars that most can't even consider.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-30-2012 08:42 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by DasMkVI View Post
      I was very disappointed about this myself, but I work for VW and see where they're coming from. Mine has been unplugged for about a week and no problems, no codes. Just a much quieter car. Which I would rather have than fake noise.
      Inquiring minds want to know: Why do you see where they're coming from? What's the motive for fake noises if not simply to fool the buyer during a test drive?
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      04-30-2012 11:09 PM #40
      The new BMW M5 has a noise maker too.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4-Door DSG / 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      05-01-2012 12:25 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooderTT View Post
      Inquiring minds want to know: Why do you see where they're coming from? What's the motive for fake noises if not simply to fool the buyer during a test drive?
      As cars/engines get quieter and quieter and sound-proofing gets better and better a natural drawback to this is going to be less engine noise heard in the cabin. Most people who drive Golfs and A3's don't want a loud engine. People who drive the sportier versions of cars like this want a little more feedback. To enhance the driving experience VW has chosen to use this Soundaktor.

I never said it was a good idea, or that I liked it. As I said, mine got unplugged as soon as I found out about it. I simply said I understand where they are coming from. And yes, it is technically to fool you. I would have bought my car no matter how it sounded so I don't care.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      05-01-2012 09:52 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by DasMkVI View Post
      As cars/engines get quieter and quieter and sound-proofing gets better and better a natural drawback to this is going to be less engine noise heard in the cabin. Most people who drive Golfs and A3's don't want a loud engine. People who drive the sportier versions of cars like this want a little more feedback. To enhance the driving experience VW has chosen to use this Soundaktor.

I never said it was a good idea, or that I liked it. As I said, mine got unplugged as soon as I found out about it. I simply said I understand where they are coming from. And yes, it is technically to fool you. I would have bought my car no matter how it sounded so I don't care.
      Thank you for clarifying. It's a shame they couldn't just be honest about it though. Now they have no choice. The cat is out.

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI
      06-10-2012 09:06 PM #43
      Crazy! I finally just took a look under the hood and it turns out that I don't have one! LOL! The bracket in the pictures is empty and there is no wire hanging around.

Sent using Tapatalk

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2013 Audi Q5
      06-11-2012 06:31 AM #44
      I'm not convinced the TTS has one, but I've been too lazy to check. My TTS didn't sound anything like my Golf R until I disconnected the Golf's Soundaktor. Now the noises from the front of the car are approximately the same between the two.
      Previous:
      2011 TTS, 2007 Fahrenheit GTI (#493), 2007 RS4 Avus/Ebony CF, 2004 S4 Silver/Ebony 6M, 2001 S4 6M Cactus Green Avant, etc.

10. 06-11-2012 12:03 PM #45
      I am pretty sure there isnt one on the TTS, i checked it myself. But there is a chance that i might have looked right at it and not know it is the soundaktor. so ill say this with a 90% confidence level lol.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      06-11-2012 12:16 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Gateway1 View Post
      How do we know the TT-RS does not have one?
      um, stand behind it and rev the motor

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      06-14-2012 08:03 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by hichrishigh View Post
      Crazy! I finally just took a look under the hood and it turns out that I don't have one! LOL! The bracket in the pictures is empty and there is no wire hanging around.

Sent using Tapatalk
      Interesting! I wonder if your car was a transitional one, meaning they had the mechanical stuff done for accommodating the noise maker, but not the electrical bits to make use of it yet.

On another note, if my car was a manual, I would have to be constantly looking at the tach to know when to shift due to how quiet the engine is. In fact, if I had a manual, I would actually be inclined to plug the soundaktor back in so that I could hear when to shift.
      Last edited by MoreGooderTT; 06-14-2012 at 08:08 AM.

13. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      11-28-2012 11:36 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      The new BMW M5 has a noise maker too.
      That's what I was thinking about too, when I first heard about Soundaktor in my current Road & Track. They mentioned it in a Turbo Beetle comparison test with a Molester Turbo and Mini Coupe.

Vehicles
      2013 Audi TTRS, 2012 VW GTI, 2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
      11-28-2012 12:17 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooderTT View Post
      Thank you for clarifying. It's a shame they couldn't just be honest about it though. Now they have no choice. The cat is out.
      I doubt they will ever list it on the window sticker.

15. 11-28-2012 01:06 PM #50
      So anybody have a look around in the TT RS for it. ?
      Nobody's Tomorrow is Guaranteed.

16. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      11-28-2012 05:04 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 311-in-337 View Post
      I doubt they will ever list it on the window sticker.
      True, that would be the equivalent of a girl walking around with a sign on her breasts stating "these are implants."

17. Junior Member
      11-28-2012 07:40 PM #52
      What makes people think that this device is for adding sound and vibrations as opposed to cancelling engine vibrations?

I just spent half an hour looking at all the information I could find on this device and I found that 1) most people simply go with the flow and say that it needs to be removed/they don't mind the additional noise, 2) there is no evidence of the real purpose of this device, 3) by design all it does is vibrate a large weight like a linear actuator (it isn't a traditional speaker).

It is my conclusion thus far that this device may actually serve some real purpose, and that it isn't there to simply make the engine sound better. Why? Well, if I was an engineer working on designing this car, using a vibrating actuator would be the most roundabout and unnecessarily costly solution to this problem. This device adds cost to the car, which over the course of millions of vehicles would cost VW AG multiple millions of dollars. The simple and most effective solution to this problem is to simply tweak the audio system software to add engine noise. The Germans do this, as someone already pointed out with the BMW M5 (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...170639427.html). This shows that when the real goal is to add engine noise, the natural solution is simply to pump it through the speakers.

So what other purpose could this device serve? Well, considering that all it does is vibrate, why doesn't it make sense that it would cancel engine vibrations? The motor basically directly connected to the dashboard, and the dashboard is where a bunch of wires, electrical connectors, gauges, navigation discs, etc. are. If all these things are exposed to strong vibrations, over time they could begin to make more annoying rattling noises. It's well known that Audi tries their best to engineer a cockpit devoid of annoying noises, like rattles. This device might simply be the natural next step to eliminating any spurious noises over the long term.

This explanation would also account for why the device needs to be engine RPM sensitive, to cancel the changing vibrations as RPMs change. The only side-affect of this device seems to be that it also vibrates the windshield enough to cause a mostly unnoticeable deep tone.

It might be interesting to somehow record the frequency of vibrations of this device and compare them to the vibrations of the rest of the car. Perhaps we will then be able to determine if this device is simply adding to the vibrations, or attempting to cancel them.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8t..RIP. 2012 GTI 4dr DSG base
      11-28-2012 10:19 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by i0n View Post
      What makes people think that this device is for adding sound and vibrations as opposed to cancelling engine vibrations?.
      Probably because, after removing it, our cars are more quiet and vibrate less than they did before removing it. Cruising on the freeway before was very noisy, now it is silent in comparison, even with a k04 and downpipe upgrade.

If the vibrations were so evident that they needed canceling, why are there less noticable vibrations after the device is unplugged?
      2012 GTI, 4-door, DSG, Deep Black Pearl Metallic, Base Model.
      APR K04 Turbo: APR Downpipe: APR Intake Stg-1: APR FMIC: HPA DSG Stage-2:
      Neuspeed Turbo Outlet & TB Pipes: GoFastBits DV+: R32 Belly Pan: Focal IFVW Speakers
      OEM LED Tinted Tail Lights - no fog: Parts4Euro tinted fender markers: Vag-Com mods

19. Junior Member
      11-28-2012 11:52 PM #54
      Most if not all the posts/youtube videos I saw were of people saying that things were quieter with the device unplugged. I think the amount of vibrations and noise may not be directly proportional in this case. In other words, the device may be reducing vibrations but increasing noise to a mostly unnoticeable degree as a side effect. Simply the operation of the device could create some noise, even though it cancels engine vibrations.

Are you speaking from experience that there are reduced vibrations with the device unplugged? Or are you simply assuming that since noise was reduced vibrations must also be reduced?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8t..RIP. 2012 GTI 4dr DSG base
      11-29-2012 01:54 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by i0n View Post
      Most if not all the posts/youtube videos I saw were of people saying that things were quieter with the device unplugged. I think the amount of vibrations and noise may not be directly proportional in this case. In other words, the device may be reducing vibrations but increasing noise to a mostly unnoticeable degree as a side effect. Simply the operation of the device could create some noise, even though it cancels engine vibrations.

Are you speaking from experience that there are reduced vibrations with the device unplugged? Or are you simply assuming that since noise was reduced vibrations must also be reduced?
      I am speaking from experience. I drove my car both commuting in the city and on a few 6 hour road trips before unplugging the device. To me, there weren't really any vibrations before or after. Just a noticable change in noise. The car is super quiet in the cabin after unplugging. There Could be vibrations in the engine compartment that I am insulated from.

I always assumed that the soundakator was the replacement for the "noise pipe" and nothing more.
      But hey, you could have something there., with the vibration theory. I just don't see it based on personal observation.
      2012 GTI, 4-door, DSG, Deep Black Pearl Metallic, Base Model.
      APR K04 Turbo: APR Downpipe: APR Intake Stg-1: APR FMIC: HPA DSG Stage-2:
      Neuspeed Turbo Outlet & TB Pipes: GoFastBits DV+: R32 Belly Pan: Focal IFVW Speakers
      OEM LED Tinted Tail Lights - no fog: Parts4Euro tinted fender markers: Vag-Com mods

Vehicles
      12 Platinum Gray 2.0T Beetle
      05-16-2013 09:56 PM #56
      So a deeper question ; I've driven with mine disconnected for about half of the 9K miles and find the unplugged much more pleasing to my ears. Question is - has anyone had issues or have any codes or warranty problems with the Soundaktor unplugged?
      Present: 2012 Beetle Turbo
      Past: 2002 NB Sport
      2001 NB TDI
      Way Past: 1981 Scirocco S, 1983 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition, 1985 Quantum Wolfsburg Edition

Vehicles
      '08 TT Roadster 3.2, '00 Regal GS
      05-16-2013 11:44 PM #57
      I don't see how this could interfere with the vehicle and I'd be interested in what explanation they give if this does happen. I would hope Audi understands that the customer's don't necessarily enjoy that device. Maybe have it switch disabled in a new model or offer it as a small dealer add-on for a current model.

Vehicles
      2014 GTI MKVI CW 6MT
      04-14-2014 12:47 AM #58
      I'm wondering if this is on a fuse that I can pull? The GTI seems like a bit of a pain to get back there, but might be worth trying it out.

Vehicles
      2013 Audi TTRS
      04-14-2014 07:58 AM #59
      VW/Audi must have had some success using the "sound actuator" because they do the same thing on the 991 Cararra... Too funny, buy a $100,000+ car with fake noise... DAMN, I'm glad I own a TTRS
      Visit me at: http://www.facebook.com/TTRS.cc
      2013 Audi TTRS Daytona Gray Pearl
      UM Stage II+ Tune/VWR Intake/HPA Competition Haldex
      H&R Sway Bars Front & Rear/MSS Sport Springs/Downpipe + Mid Pipes/Sport Exhaust

2014 Audi Q7 Orca Black Pearl

Vehicles
      2011 335D M-Sport & 2013 Golf R
      04-14-2014 08:18 AM #60
      I posted a few tips on removing this, here http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post81974260

Should be helpful for you guys, although it's a golf.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12