Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: piston rings on 24v

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 vr6 jetta, 02 1.8T Jetta project
      04-02-2012 03:42 PM #1
      Anyone had a shop do this for them? Does the motor have to come out or can they pull the oil pan and drop the crank rods then pistons from the bottom? Any idea on the price?
      Our cars are a hobby and a passion that's ment to be fun. Drive them and enjoy them because that's what they're built for (Jamie Simms)

Vehicles
      02 Gti 24v. 85 Golf 1.8t. 97 Dodge Caravan
      04-02-2012 08:21 PM #2
      I have not done this on the 24v but I believe the top chain can come off of the cams without pulling the trans, so just the oil pan and head need to come off to pull the pistons.
      Can I ask why you are replacing the rings?

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-02-2012 09:52 PM #3
      Still low compression after a new head gasket and valve cover gasket. Its the only thing I can think of that's causing it besides maybe bad pistons. Its at the shop now and they are checking it out.
      Our cars are a hobby and a passion that's ment to be fun. Drive them and enjoy them because that's what they're built for (Jamie Simms)

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 03:11 PM #4
      Well to keep the thread updated the shop has said that they have filled the cylinders with nitrogen and the only leak they have found was on the intake valves and the worst compression was 75. They want to replace the head because they say the guides aren't serviceable? Is this true? I think they are pressed in but does that mean they can't come out?
      Last edited by 24vMayberry; 04-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.

5. 04-06-2012 01:40 PM #5
      I just had all the valve stem seals and a few guides re-sleeved on my 24v head, so I'd say it's serviceable?

I'm also having the piston rings done too.

Vehicles
      2010 CC 3.6 4Motion Exec.
      04-07-2012 08:52 PM #6
      Guides are serviceable. Pistons come out from the top. Improper cam timing could be the cause of the low compression if one of the cams isn't correctly timed.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-08-2012 05:09 PM #7
      The shop claims that VW doesn't sell replacements so he want to get a used head with 60k miles and rebuild it for and extra 500. Would timing cause the compression to be that low? Its lowest was cylinder 3 at 75 psi

Vehicles
      2010 CC 3.6 4Motion Exec.
      04-08-2012 07:54 PM #8
      Valve guides from Tehntonics are $7 and $7.50 each and a guide will not cause low compression.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-08-2012 08:48 PM #9
      That's what I thought. They think the head is bad now because of the compression its been to two machine shops already. Now he said guides are bad and non serviceable which is bull. I'll have to have a long talk with them on Monday morning. Not sure if they would use the TT parts they like to stay OEM so they offer a warranty on work.