Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MK5 trans help ..do you have to use vag com to change trans

Vehicles
      02'GTI APR'ed
      04-02-2012 09:21 PM #1
      Have a mk5 ...dealer says it needs a new trans and i got another one from a junk yard and they will change it out but they want 800 bucks to " use there computer" to set it up again....If that right??
      the 800 is ontop of the 1700 they want to change it out

Its 2006 jetta tip auto

thanks in advance

Vehicles
      e36 M3, 14 FiST
      04-02-2012 11:59 PM #2
      I might be wrong, but I've changed plenty of transmissions on slightly olders cars before.. Use your own TCM (transmission module) and you won't have to do reprogramming. what's wrong with your transmission anyway?

Vehicles
      02'GTI APR'ed
      04-03-2012 12:05 AM #3
      I have never changed an automatic thats why i ask. There was a valve body recall and my wife drove it and didnt tell me about the recall until it was to late and now the dealer says it needs a new trans...It shifts really hard when hot and down shifts even harder it wont down shift at all somtimes and does other reeally weird stuff

Vehicles
      e36 M3, 14 FiST
      04-03-2012 12:20 AM #4
      here is some reading for you:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...G-Transmission...

someone will chime in about re-programming of the TCM, but I doubt that's needed. Just needs to be reset

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Jetta 2.5
      04-03-2012 07:49 AM #5
      If you read some of my past posts you know that I highly dislike the often enept talent at dealer****s. Read the thread you posted most recently to "My experience...09G" and you will see that the VB is a common problem. VW extended the warranty on this from the factory to 6 yrs/100K, I believe and for good reason. I would smell the fluid and see if it smells burnt and then decide whether a different trans or just a VB is necessary. I wouldn't swap out the unit unless you need to and if you do, make sure you get one with the same trans code. Also, realize that the prevalency of VB issues with the 09G make switching to a used unit from another car risky as it may have or be starting to show problems as well, regardless of what the junk yard claims. In regards to your re-programming question, no you do not need to reprogram the computer, but you will need to reset the adpative shift problem (restore defaults and then test drive). The transmission will not fail if you don't but the shifts may be erratic and possibly worse than before and the adaptation is slow except when it is reset to its default settings. If the fluid isn't burnt smelling I would drop the pan and look for metal flake/fleck and black sediment/flakes (burnt clutch material). You WILL see some fine metal in the pan and/or filter, but it should be very little indeed. However, if the transmission has been serviced within the last 10,000 miles than metal should not be present. If all checks out okay, then I would suggest a VB which runs anywhere from $550-1200 depending on vendor and warranty terms and you can do it yourself while leaving the trans in the car. A would recommend purchasing the VCDS system either way. Keep in touch and good luck!

Brad

6. 04-11-2012 11:50 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ravenwolf View Post
      Have a mk5 ...dealer says it needs a new trans and i got another one from a junk yard and they will change it out but they want 800 bucks to " use there computer" to set it up again....If that right??

Its 2006 jetta tip auto

thanks in advance
      BS. Change it yourself and just reset the tcu. You'll be fine. There is nothing special about the mk5 tcu. I've been in it with vcds. Nothing fancy.
      '11 Routan SE (black), '01 Jetta GLX VR6 5spd (silver)
      FE ///Motorsports VCDS Hex-Can, if you need help.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      04-11-2012 08:18 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ravenwolf View Post

Its 2006 jetta tip auto

thanks in advance
      Everyone is referring you to 09G information, but depending on what engine you have you might have a DSG. If you have a DSG it is possible they would need to program the computer to work. (computer is inside the transmission)

Also no one here even asked you what your trans is doing wrong. What is your trans doing wrong?
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

8. 04-13-2012 03:22 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      Everyone is referring you to 09G information, but depending on what engine you have you might have a DSG. If you have a DSG it is possible they would need to program the computer to work. (computer is inside the transmission)

Also no one here even asked you what your trans is doing wrong. What is your trans doing wrong?
      Richard, as with other forums, I just assumed that if they have gone this far, willing to plunk down the $ and time to do this, they are 100% sure by now that it's necessary. I know what you mean, but I just answered the question, hoping that he would ask more before actually diving in.

Vehicles
      02'GTI APR'ed
      04-13-2012 05:38 PM #9
      Its a 2.5 it's not DSG
      The problem is that it has a mind of its own when shifting up and down. I have taken to other places now besides the dealer and all of them say it needs to be replaced bc it throwing 20 something codes when plugged in but i was also thinking that could be from the TCM getting wet. Its my wifes car and she spills something in it everytime she drives it seems like.

10. 04-14-2012 01:07 AM #10
      Do you have a wet tcu? Let's troubleshoot this thing before dunking $$.

Vehicles
      02'GTI APR'ed
      04-14-2012 09:24 PM #11
      Idk for sure if it wet it was just an idea from reading the post " my experience with 09g". If there a way to tell for sure if it got wet?

12. 04-16-2012 11:47 AM #12
      Just look at it. open the case. See if it's shorted at all.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Jetta 2.5
      04-17-2012 06:54 AM #13
      Another note, it is unlikely that the transmission is going to act like it "has a mind of it's own"; you can get banging and slipping but not really erratic/unpredicatable shifting . This sounds like purely an electrical issue, especially a grounding issue. You should post the complete scan here. I completely agree with rychas, you should diagnose this further before dropping the big bucks on a shaky opinion from a diagnostically-inept dealership/mechanic. If I were in your shoes, I would NOT replace the transmission at this point.

Brad