Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 16 of 16

    Thread: Honda Lawnmower Appreciation Thread

    1. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,344
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      04-02-2012 09:57 PM #1
      My post in the 'I need a lawnmower thread' spawned this. Post your stories. Obscure models will get you extra intertubes points. If you have an HR17, you win the internet.

      Anyway, my short story: in 1983, my dad bought an HR214SX. He used it for 25 years before it died (with my childhood in between), and I was hooked on Hondas as well. 4 years later, he still regrets not getting the engine replaced instead of cheaping out and buying a POS husky mower.

      Anyway, it finally came time for me to buy a mower. I decided that getting the commerical HRC216 was just a little too nuts for my smallish yard, so I first tried to find my dad's old HR214 model. I *almost* succeeded, but at the last minute the seller 'claimed' it had a busted starter recoil. I really think he just wanted to back out of the sale and keep it. So, I ended up getting the spirtual successor to the old HR214, an HRX217HYA. They're expensive for a home model ($699)...but considering that the HR214 cost $350 in 1983, it's really not out of line.

      I used it for the first time yesterday - it was like riding a bike again. The controls are the same (although the blade brake bar going all the way across the length of the handle is kind of annoying), even the noises are the same. The auto choke is kind of odd getting used to, but that's okay.

      "our" old HR214:



      "My" new HR217HYA:



      Some day I'll still get that HR214 back

    2. Member MofoG23's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 22nd, 2004
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      852
      Vehicles
      2010 CW 4dr GTI
      04-05-2012 09:34 PM #2
      *checking in*

      New owner of a HRX217HYA...
      2010 VW GTI 4dr CW
      2012 Ford Fusion
      1976 Chevy K20 (SM465/NP205) "Big Red"

    3. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,344
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      04-06-2012 07:25 AM #3
      Nice. I'm about to use mine for the second time this weekend.

      Oh, and I knew this would happen - right after I decide to go new, I found a local HR215 (basically the 90's version of the HR214 I mentioned in the OP) in mint condition. I'm still thinking about picking it up

    4. Moderator Rockhead261's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 5th, 2004
      Location
      Brewster, New York
      Posts
      3,895
      Vehicles
      '75 Eldorado vert, '13 Sierra Denali CC D/A, '11 Outback 3.6R
      04-06-2012 08:13 AM #4
      Captain Buzzkill checking in.

      I bought a Honda Harmony 2013 riding mower in '00.

      (not mine, but might as well be)


      The relationship was anything but harmonious. Belts, tires, axle keys, etc. I finally gave up two years ago. Though the motor was running strong, the transaxle started making bad noises and slipping up hills, and Honda had stopped making parts. I found a buyer on Craigslist. After full disclosure we settled on $200. He took it away to add to his 'collection'; he told me he was addicted to used Hondas. I figure he had a transmission donor with a blown motor sitting in his yard.

      I replaced it with a big Cub Cadet. It has a cupholder. I'm happy.
      Cary

      '13 Sierra Denali 2500 CC D/A
      '11 Outback 3.6R
      '12 FLHTCUI
      '75 Eldorado ragtop

      Forum Rules

    5. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,344
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      04-06-2012 08:20 AM #5
      K. How about you make a "Honda Power Equipment sucks" thread?

    6. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,023
      04-06-2012 09:58 AM #6
      Love my '83 HT3813 water-cooled tractor.

      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    7. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      20,800
      04-06-2012 10:21 AM #7
      My Toro pushmower has a Honda engine. Thus far it has operated at the same level as my Briggs and Stratton engine'd mower. I suppose I'll see in 5-10 years if I'm happier with it.

    8. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      40,352
      04-06-2012 10:21 AM #8
      I freakin love my Honda generator. I'm not ashamed to admit I use it exclusively for tailgating at college football venues. My friends and I go all out....tents, tables, more food than the UN, DirecTV. I thought I had a pic of our setup but I don't. We're drawing up plans to build a utility trailer into the ultimate tailgating trailer so setup and breakdown will be a LOT simpler. Anyway, to stay somewhat on topic (but technically off topic), we used to use a craptastic Yamaha or some other generator that you damn near had to yell to hear over. A couple years back we upgraded to a Honda and we're kicking ourselves for not doing it sooner. The thing is so quiet we have forgotten it was on a couple times and almost forgot to chain it to the truck before heading off to the game.

      So here's to you Genny (yeah, we named her....shut up ) the most important member of our tailgating crew

      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    9. 04-06-2012 12:49 PM #9
      My dad bought a HR215 around 1993 or so. It has been by far the most reliable lawnmower i have ever seen. I used it all the time growing up. In the 17 or so years he had it at our family home, it has had its blade sharpened about 8 times, oil changed about 6 or 7 times, a cable replaced and a few knobs replaced that eventually wind their way loose and get lost. Even after 17 years its rare that it didnt start on the first try and probably 99% by the second try, even after sitting out all winter. It also lived much of its life outside just under a tarp because we didnt have an easy place to store it, and were not worried about theft. When I used it lI was not easy on it, typically engaging both the blade and drive at the same time, other motors would stall, the honda never would even on part throttle. I last used it in 2010 and not because my dad was getting rid of it, he was just giving it to my brother that had just bought his first home

      Ive helped a few friends mow lawns with lesser mowers and am always annoyed how poor they are. Whats crazy is that I dont even know the meaning of "my lawnmower died" because my parents Honda NEVER had a fault like that.

      That same year he bought a new one, and I want to say its an HR217 something. Its all good except the variable speed drive. Im sure that works better for most people but i like to go for maximum speed when i am mowing and its max speed is just a bit too slow.

    10. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,344
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      04-06-2012 01:03 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      My dad bought a HR215 around 1993 or so. It has been by far the most reliable lawnmower i have ever seen. I used it all the time growing up. In the 17 or so years he had it at our family home, it has had its blade sharpened about 8 times, oil changed about 6 or 7 times, a cable replaced and a few knobs replaced that eventually wind their way loose and get lost. Even after 17 years its rare that it didnt start on the first try and probably 99% by the second try, even after sitting out all winter. It also lived much of its life outside just under a tarp because we didnt have an easy place to store it, and were not worried about theft. When I used it lI was not easy on it, typically engaging both the blade and drive at the same time, other motors would stall, the honda never would even on part throttle. I last used it in 2010 and not because my dad was getting rid of it, he was just giving it to my brother that had just bought his first home

      Ive helped a few friends mow lawns with lesser mowers and am always annoyed how poor they are. Whats crazy is that I dont even know the meaning of "my lawnmower died" because my parents Honda NEVER had a fault like that.

      That same year he bought a new one, and I want to say its an HR217 something. Its all good except the variable speed drive. Im sure that works better for most people but i like to go for maximum speed when i am mowing and its max speed is just a bit too slow.
      Sounds exactly like my experience as a kid. Except ours was always stored in a shed

    11. Member XClayX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2005
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      4,075
      Vehicles
      2001 W.E Jetta
      04-07-2012 12:22 PM #11
      I got a husquavarian lawn mower with a Honda engine. The thing is a freakin work horse.

    12. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,344
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      04-07-2012 06:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      I got a husquavarian lawn mower with a Honda engine. The thing is a freakin work horse.
      Just wait till everything around it falls apart, my dad made the same mistake - replacing his honda with a Husky that had a Honda engine in it. He regrets it badly.

    13. Member buzzbug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2006
      Location
      New South Wales, Australia
      Posts
      101
      Vehicles
      1974 Beetle, 1998 MK3 Golf, 2010 Holden SS ute.
      04-09-2012 04:05 AM #13
      Can not speak highly enough of my honda equipment.
      It all started with my father buying his Honda lawnmower more then 15yrs ago.
      He still has his original mower too.
      My brother then went and bought himself a Honda lawn mower and with a 1/4 acre of land to mow, it does the job with no dramas.
      So with such a good wrap from those two, i went out and bought a Honda lawnmower, line trimmer and blower and i can honestly say i am glad that i bought them.
      It all comes back to what my father once told me.....buy right, buy once......and that is what i felt i have done with my honda gear.

    14. Member unimogken's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      South of Jazzydub, WA
      Posts
      5,385
      Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      04-09-2012 08:14 PM #14
      I decided that today was the day that I was going to mow my front lawn and my neighbor was out front and started to admire my mower. He said nice machine I wish I had one. I told him that it was worth every cent I paid for it because I love that it starts on the first pull.

      He said, "BS no lawnmower starts on one pull." I said, "ok watch this." I then put my index finger and middle finger on the pull handle and pulled it pretty slow out about a foot and a half and it fired up. He said, "no F'n way!" I said, "show me the money!" Haha!

      So now that my front lawn is mowed I think i'm going to go online and order a new part for it. . . . whatever that fabric part of the catcher is called.

      Has anyone seen the commercial aluminum catch bags for Honda mowers? I kinda want one!

      Oh forgot to add that I love my HRB216!
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

      Someone buy my car already!!

      Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

    15. 04-10-2012 10:09 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      I decided that today was the day that I was going to mow my front lawn and my neighbor was out front and started to admire my mower. He said nice machine I wish I had one. I told him that it was worth every cent I paid for it because I love that it starts on the first pull.

      He said, "BS no lawnmower starts on one pull." I said, "ok watch this." I then put my index finger and middle finger on the pull handle and pulled it pretty slow out about a foot and a half and it fired up. He said, "no F'n way!" I said, "show me the money!" Haha!
      And you will be able to do the same thing 10 years from now too.

    16. Member XClayX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2005
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      4,075
      Vehicles
      2001 W.E Jetta
      04-16-2012 10:30 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      Just wait till everything around it falls apart, my dad made the same mistake - replacing his honda with a Husky that had a Honda engine in it. He regrets it badly.
      Can't complain to bad it was a gift. Although I'm assuming the steel deck will give up in 5 yrs or so. We do a TON of mowing with it, few gallons a season.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •