VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mazda mx-5

Vehicles
      94 Civic
      04-02-2012 10:21 PM #1
      1.3 turbo, shed 300 lbs

All of a sudden toyoburu is stepping on their heels, gotta pick it up.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ta-future-cars

Now if only honda and Nissan will jump in it will be like the 80's and 90's all over again.

What do you guys think? Should Mazda just restart NA Miata production? Is the rwd coupe surging back?

Vehicles
      Something I bought at Weymouth Honda
      04-02-2012 10:25 PM #2
      I don't see a 1.3 turbo being a very good idea... I mean stock for stock it might be okay, but when modding comes to question?

Vehicles
      94 Civic
      04-02-2012 10:30 PM #3
      I think they will also have a sky 2 liter.

I guess the only upside is that they have repeatedly shown that you dont need power to make a good car. They can lose some pounds, shrink the engine and keep it at the same power and everyone theoretically should be happy.

4. 04-03-2012 06:42 AM #4
      That CAN'T be the new front end. It is ghastly. But I've already seen that new grille on one of thier new SUVs. I fear it is their new corporate face.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      04-03-2012 06:45 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      That CAN'T be the new front end. It is ghastly. But I've already seen that new grille on one of thier new SUVs. I fear it is their new corporate face.
      I think that works quite well. Certainly better than that smiley face they've used on Mazda 3 and 6.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-03-2012 06:56 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      That's an old photochop of a Mazda Shinari.

|˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-03-2012 07:00 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by watsontb View Post
      I think they will also have a sky 2 liter..
      I don't see this happening.
      Mazda previously said the Sky-G exhaust would stick out of the MX-5's fender.
      It only works in transverse applications.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3 GT - True Red
      04-03-2012 07:05 AM #8
      i would also prefer a naturally aspirated 2 litre, but I know it won't work

1.3 seems a little small

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-03-2012 07:17 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      i would also prefer a naturally aspirated 2 litre, but I know it won't work

1.3 seems a little small
      So a 1.4 turbo Sonic is great, but a 1.3 turbo in a 500 lb lighter MX-5 is too small?

10. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-03-2012 07:45 AM #10
      The front is a little too overstyled for my taste, but I'll withold judgment until I see the to market product.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      04-03-2012 09:18 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      First, there was the Mustang sedan.
      Now, they Photoshopped a Miata sedan?!
      Looks like a Fisker.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 09:24 AM #12
      So a 1.4 turbo Sonic is great, but a 1.3 turbo in a 500 lb lighter MX-5 is too small?
      Since the Sonic is a small economy car, I wouldn’t mind as much. For the Cruze, I feel it’s too small. I'm just a little more old-fashion when it comes to powertrains and it'll take some time getting used to a small turbo four in a "sports car".

I guess I should drive it before judging. Still, when I think 1.3's, I thing Geo Metro.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 09:28 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      First, there was the Mustang sedan.
      Now, they Photoshopped a Miata sedan?!
      Looks like a Fisker.
      It's called the Shinari and the Miata was photoshoped from that car. Not the other way around.

04-03-2012 09:38 AM #14
      My predictions -

Weight - 2300 - 2600 lbs.
      Power - 150 - 160 hp.

TCL cries not enough torks and can't beat V6 Camry epic failz.

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      04-03-2012 10:14 AM #15
      I like it, tone the front down a little with the same shape and it's golden. Like the power source
      pardon my 'merican

16. 04-03-2012 10:16 AM #16
      If this new car is gonna be lighter why do they have to put in a less powerful motor? Why not use the existing one. Are they really worried about lawsuits? I guess they don't want a Miata to ever be faster than 91 in the quarter.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '00 Miata
      04-03-2012 10:23 AM #17
      I know its just a pchop of a different concept, but I really like the look compared to the outgoing miata. Makes it look way more agressive and less like a chicks car and looks even better than a z4 imo.

Not crazy about the powertrain, as even a heavily modified and tuned 1.3T will probably never break 200hp (unless its a rotary ) There are people with 1.4T cruzes and sonics getting around 180hp with a downpipe and tune alone.

Hopefully they will offer a mazdaspeed version with the 2.3t
      "If your car 'feels like it's on rails,' then you're going too slow."

Vehicles
      '06 Outback 3.0R; '89 Sierra K2500
      04-03-2012 10:35 AM #18
      My old mk2 GTI 16V weighted 2200 lbs, had approx. 140 hp (with a few mods) and was a hoot to drive. If the new Miata weights the same and has around the same power or a little more, I don't see why it would not be a fun. Maybe not the fastest, but who cares? We are in NA, the land of the slow speed limits.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Mustang GT Vert 5MT, 08 TSX 5AT, 95 Volvo 850 GLT 4AT
      04-03-2012 10:37 AM #19
      Looks like a baby Z4, do want. I like the front end.

Serious competition for the FR-S, it would seem.
      http://sixsylinder.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by stacman View Post
      Top gear recommended it, so I bought it.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      04-03-2012 10:39 AM #20
      I love that p-shop.

I have a feeling that the next MX-5 will be targeted at destroying the BRZ.

Also I hope the new Miata gets better fuel economy, the NC is poor for a car of its size.
      Last edited by Aonarch; 04-03-2012 at 10:42 AM.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      04-03-2012 05:13 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      I love that p-shop.

I have a feeling that the next MX-5 will be targeted at destroying the BRZ.

Also I hope the new Miata gets better fuel economy, the NC is poor for a car of its size.

Not sure if serious.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C
      The world runs on marketing, and in the case of winter tires Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air and passes as a tire will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      04-03-2012 05:16 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      My predictions -

Power - 150 - 160 hp.

This

23. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-03-2012 06:40 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      My predictions -

Power - 150 - 160 hp.

The current Miata weighs 2550 lbs.
      And Mazda says they are removing 300 lbs for the next Miata.

2550 - 300 = 2250 lbs.

It won't take much turb0 p0wer to make that entertaining to drive.

24. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-03-2012 06:42 PM #24

2550 - 300 = 2250 lbs.

Yessir. That thing would be more than fun with 150ish hp. Hell, at that weight it doesn't even need 151 ft. lbs. of torque.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      04-03-2012 09:23 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      It's called the Shinari and the Miata was photoshoped from that car. Not the other way around.

:gift:

Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32
      04-03-2012 10:08 PM #26

2550 - 300 = 2250 lbs.

It sounds like it will be a blast to drive.
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

27. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-07-2012 03:22 PM #27
      Just ran across this (looking for something else on the autocar site)

I think this is where Mazda's current "we need to make new cars lighter" philosophy may have started... or at least where it became adopted at a corporate level.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...rlight/243238/

Mazda MX-5 1.8i Superlight FIRST DRIVE
      Test date Thursday, September 10, 2009

What is it?

The Mazda’s MX-5 Superlight concept – which is taking centre stage on the Mazda stand at the Frankfurt motor show, and which we’ve driven.
      It’s a low-emissions, stripped-out, driver-focussed one-off version of the world’s biggest-selling sports car.

The car’s story began when Mazda Europe Head of Design Peter Birtwhistle, designer Hassip Girgin and the team took a 1.8-litre MX-5, stripped it down to its bare essentials – a running chassis with essential body panels only – and invited Mazda’s test engineers to drive it.
      Those test drivers reported that the MX-5’s key dynamic traits – its trademark sharpness of response and natural rear-driven handling balance – were only enhanced by the lack of weight.
      So they duly set about replacing some of the components they’d taken away with lighter alternatives made from carbonfibre and aluminium. They left the windscreen and roof off altogether, and fitted an alumium bonnet with a carbonfibre extension that incorporates the rearview mirror and covers the instrument cowl.

In place of the soft top, the Superlight has two large rollover hoops with integrated wind deflectors. And because the car is always roofless, the doors don’t need exterior handles. To open them, you pull a leather tie inside the cabin.

Also inside the cabin, the instrument panel is made of fiberglass-reinforced plastic; the gearlever and handbrake out of aluminium partly covered with leather. There’s no HVAC system at all, and no noise and vibration isolation either.

All in all, Mazda’s crash diet has taken 160kg from the kerbweight of this car; as a result it’s half a second quicker to 62mph and 6mpg more fuel efficient too.

What’s it like?

Exposed. That’s how you feel when you strap yourself in. There is no windscreen in front of you, no interior trim panels on the doors. And ahead of you, where the CD player should be, there are two flip switches – one to turn on the fuel pump, the other the ignition – and a starter button. That’s it.

Thumb that starter button. The car’s powerplant comes alive with an aggressive bark. It sounds big and vocal, but it’s actually Mazda’s regular 1.8-litre, 124bhp four-pot equipped with a stainless steel air intake, and a bigger exhaust system from Mazda’s 3 MPS. Instead of adding horsepower, Mazda decided to take the harder route to improving performance for this particular car, in the MX-5’s 20th anniversary year; to add by subtraction.

A helmet and goggles are a must for this test drive. Dip the clutch, throw in first gear using that ornate-looking lever, ease off the mark and straight away you notice the lack of mass. And almost as quickly you’re blown backwards into your seat by the passage of air.
      Change into second gear at 45mph and the wind noise around your helmet begins to drown out the engine’s blare; you have to watch the rev counter carefully to avoid slamming into the limiter as you forge forwards.

Mazda doesn’t know the exact weight distribution of this car yet, but it feels as if the centre of mass has moved slightly towards those rear wheels; it could even be 50/50. Turn the MX-5 Superlight into a fast, sweeping bend and the nose tucks in more keenly and quickly than you’re used to. It doesn’t understeer as much as the production car. Which is to say that it doesn’t understeer at all, practically.

Lift the throttle and that playful-yet-benign rear-end starts its familiar entertainment routine. You could go on playing with your cornering line, on and off the throttle, for corner after corner; this thing’s a joy. But there’s excellent road-holding, real composure and great stopping power here too, a result of the 20mm lower ride height than standard, the 200mm wider tracks, the new Eibach anti-roll bars and the new drilled brake discs.

You feel even closer-connected to this machine than you do a regular MX-5. There’s no insulation, no creature comforts; it’s a human-machine interface reminiscent of that of certain vintage machinery. Mazda hasn’t recorded a top speed for the car yet, but we took it up to 125mph – that’s 3mph faster than the production version goes – and it was still accelerating.

Above 100mph it’s a very demanding car to drive purely because of the wind factor. But with a little more protection fitted – a deflector blade ahead of the instruments, say – it wouldn’t be half as bad.

Should I buy one?

You can’t – but it will influence new Mazda models that you will be able to buy.
      "We want to push forward with weight-saving measures, because light cars are fun to drive," says Birtwhistle. "It could be possible to build this car, or one very like it, in limited numbers, but more important will be its influence on our design and engineering agenda. Because wouldn’t it be great if we could make every new Mazda 160kg lighter?".

28. 04-07-2012 03:33 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      My old mk2 GTI 16V weighted 2200 lbs,
      Ha! Try 2444, and thats the 87-89s!

Blog Entries
      04-07-2012 06:48 PM #29
      Less displacement, same or more power, less weight... Increased power-weight ratio with less "cost" of energy? Sounds like an improvement.

Sports cars don't need 400hp - that's not the point. At least not "out of the box". 200hp would be more than enough to make this a rocket. 140-150 is still plenty.

I think the while philosophy behind SkyActiv is what TCL has been clamoring for, for years.

A few years ago I remember all the automakers making comments on this direction - we're seeing already in BMW, Audi, and Mercedes.

Lol@ "the exhaust won't fit because it's for transverse engines.". Well DUH- make one that isn't? I'm sure the technology doesn't care which way it's facing

Also, that p-chop is HOT. I would never even consider a Z4 if Mazda made that.

30. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-07-2012 06:55 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Lol@ "the exhaust won't fit because it's for transverse engines.". Well DUH- make one that isn't? I'm sure the technology doesn't care which way it's facing
      Actually... it does.
      The high compression works because Mazda uses that exhaust manifold to remove heat quickly.
      Putting bends in it early would completely ruin the quick heat removing properties of the exhaust design.

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      04-07-2012 07:53 PM #31
      Make a coupe version and the $$$$ will come.

Only a small fraction wants a convertible.

32. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-07-2012 08:14 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Make a coupe version and the $$$$ will come.

Only a small fraction wants a convertible.
      If only.

I think they are concerned about diluting the MX-5 name if they sold a fixed coupe version.

What they could do is sell a soft top delete version and make a bolt on hard top that really works/looks good (like a club racing spec).

33. Member
      Vehicles
      13' 4-dr GTI
      04-07-2012 08:59 PM #33
      Makes me interested. I love how turbo cars respond to tuning, and of these small turbo I4s are great with a exhaust and tune. I am a vocal hater of Mazda so i am sure they will botch this like they have everything they ever made since the NA...but i stand on the sidelines intrigued.

Vehicles
      Nothing that's TCL approved
      04-07-2012 09:09 PM #34
      I couldn't care less about the power as long as it's decent (130-150 hp range). I think the weight reduction is fantastic, especially the amount, on what is still a relatively lightweight car. It should be extremely fun to drive, autocross and track.

Vehicles
      1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
      04-07-2012 09:11 PM #35
      If only.

I think they are concerned about diluting the MX-5 name if they sold a fixed coupe version.

What they could do is sell a soft top delete version and make a bolt on hard top that really works/looks good (like a club racing spec).
      those look decent, but the miata coupe concepts that have been built were pretty sexy. And you would prob have a more usable interior space/trunk in that case of real coupe.

sexyness:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast