Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Strange 'Wheeze' coming from Engine Bay (Video)

Vehicles
      2009 TR GTI
      04-02-2012 10:53 PM #1
      So I came home from work today and was inspecting my coilovers, just checking for anything that might be causing the noises I've been having... and while I was looking I noticed that the car has started to make this strange 'Wheezeing' noise and I can't for the life of me place where it might be coming from or what might be making the noise.

I've had the Intake Manifold somewhat recently (Beginning of the year) but I never noticed this noise until today.

I've also looked into the whole Water Pump deal but mine doesn't seem to be making that noise??

Any help here would be sincerely appreciated... I looked all over and couldn't seem to find where it was coming from, so as of right now I'm lost. :iono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V31k5BDb5s
      '09 Tornado Red GTI - APR Stage 2 TSI|BSH Race Intake|Raceland Catless 3" DP|H&R Super Sports |BFI Smoked Sidemarkers|18" Huff's| Thunderbunny Rear Bumper|Thunderbunny Sideskirts|Votex Rep Front Lip|R-Line Fogs |AWE Vent Mounted Boost Gauge|

Vehicles
      2009 TR GTI
      04-03-2012 05:05 PM #2
      I'd take gross speculation, random ideas or completely uninformed guesses at this point
      '09 Tornado Red GTI - APR Stage 2 TSI|BSH Race Intake|Raceland Catless 3" DP|H&R Super Sports |BFI Smoked Sidemarkers|18" Huff's| Thunderbunny Rear Bumper|Thunderbunny Sideskirts|Votex Rep Front Lip|R-Line Fogs |AWE Vent Mounted Boost Gauge|

Vehicles
      08 B6 TSI M/T
      04-03-2012 05:37 PM #3
      Not even a guess....that is the water pump failing. Sounds like just about everyone has gone through numerous pumps and VW has not found a fix. Should be warranteed, don't let them tell you differently!

Vehicles
      Stage 2 CC
      04-03-2012 07:09 PM #4
      Your gonna have even bigger problems. Every replacement pump has in stock has a faulty bearing. I have had 3 pumps replaced in the past month.

VWOA is currently working with a new manufacturer and should have them out in about 6 weeks.

5. 04-03-2012 09:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by DOQ fastlane View Post
      Your gonna have even bigger problems. Every replacement pump has in stock has a faulty bearing. I have had 3 pumps replaced in the past month.

VWOA is currently working with a new manufacturer and should have them out in about 6 weeks.
      I think the new rev. is already out. P/N is 06J121026AN.

6. 04-03-2012 10:00 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DOQ fastlane View Post

One other thing, ¿where did you get that info?

Vehicles
      2009 TR GTI
      04-04-2012 02:51 PM #7
      So you're sure that's the issue? I've heard other Water Pumps on youtube and it sounded a bit different? I suppose I should just wait for it to break or get worse then?

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI
      04-05-2012 08:54 AM #8
      not antoher sound!!! lol

Did you bring the car over to Fabian to take a Look?

Vehicles
      Mk3 Jetta Wolfsburg, Mk6 GTI (sold)
      04-06-2012 04:13 PM #9
      My car sounds just like that, but only when I turn it off after driving. Is that the same thing? Water pump?

10. 04-06-2012 09:54 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by gtipwnz View Post
      My car sounds just like that, but only when I turn it off after driving. Is that the same thing? Water pump?
      I don't think so. Once you shut down the car the water pump stops and the noise is gone. Maybe you're hearing those normal clicks and hisses car does everytime we shut it off. I wouldn't worry about it.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2000 Skoda Octavia 1.8T
      04-11-2012 04:25 AM #11
      My 2010 GTI produces the exact same sound. I thought it was normal. It's been doing it for at least 15K.
      2000 Skoda Octavia 1.8T, mods: Revo Stage II, 4 bar FPR, INR tranny and engine mounts, 3" Draft 42 catless turbo back exhuast, vRS front bumper
      2010 GTI, mods: Wavetrac LSD, APR Stage II, APR downpipe

12. 04-11-2012 09:28 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Elcroato View Post
      My 2010 GTI produces the exact same sound. I thought it was normal. It's been doing it for at least 15K.
      Some technicians say is just the water pump break in. But then you, for instance, have had a very long break in period, not normal to me. And I'm on my fourth water pump and lost all my coolant twice, also not normal. Keep your eye on your reservoir.

13. 04-11-2012 09:32 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by feplazas View Post
      I think the new rev. is already out. P/N is 06J121026AN.
      And regarding this P/N, now i can confirm that IT IS NOT a new rev. for our engines. 06J121026AN is used in the 2012 CBFA Beetle and the 2009 A3 Sportback. In fact, 06J121026AN has a connector/sensor not present on the BA rev. I'd say some dealers are just experimenting with our cars. Definitely not a VW approved fix.

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 03:33 PM #14
      I don't think so. Once you shut down the car the water pump stops and the noise is gone. Maybe you're hearing those normal clicks and hisses car does everytime we shut it off. I wouldn't worry about it.
      It really doesn't sound normal though, and it's pretty recent that it started happening.

15. 04-11-2012 06:57 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by gtipwnz View Post
      It really doesn't sound normal though, and it's pretty recent that it started happening.
      Video?

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 08:33 PM #16
      No camera at all, haha, but I'll try to figure something out.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS
      04-18-2012 07:05 AM #17
      My 2009 GTI sounds exactly like that video. Maybe it`s the speakers in my laptop but I don`t hear any wheezing in your video at all. Just the ticking of the DI. Sounds ''normal'' to me...at least I hope. I have no warranty on my car. How do you tell if your water pump is failing
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

18. 04-18-2012 12:44 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      My 2009 GTI sounds exactly like that video. Maybe it`s the speakers in my laptop but I don`t hear any wheezing in your video at all. Just the ticking of the DI. Sounds ''normal'' to me...at least I hope. I have no warranty on my car. How do you tell if your water pump is failing
      Your water pump is failing if it makes the now famous high pitch noise at idle when your engine is warm. And of course, whenever you're loosing coolant.

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 09:23 PM #19
      My sound occurs right when I shut off the car.. so like one second after I turn the key to off. Sounds exactly the same. Took it in, of course it wouldn't make that sound when the technician was watching

Vehicles
      2009 TR GTI
      04-27-2012 03:33 PM #20
      *** UPDATE ***

I always hate it when people never come back and tell you what happened... so, in trying to be a better human being:

The winner was the Water Pump! So any of you that guessed water pump, you were spot on!

The tech and VW put a stethoscope on it and was able to verify that was where the noise was coming from, though all the techs there as well as management had never heard one make that noise before.

So, water pump was replaced under warranty and the sound is gone!

21. 04-30-2012 08:11 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by FiXXXerX View Post
      *** UPDATE ***

I always hate it when people never come back and tell you what happened... so, in trying to be a better human being:

The winner was the Water Pump! So any of you that guessed water pump, you were spot on!

The tech and VW put a stethoscope on it and was able to verify that was where the noise was coming from, though all the techs there as well as management had never heard one make that noise before.

So, water pump was replaced under warranty and the sound is gone!
      What P/N did they put in?

Vehicles
      2009 TR GTI
      05-02-2012 06:08 PM #22
      What P/N did they put in?
      No idea? Maybe it says on the Invoice... I'll check when I get home.

23. 05-04-2012 03:30 PM #23
      removing the coolant bottle cap usually makes the noise stop if the problem is the water pump.. not a part problem as much as is no lubrication. vacuum filling the cooling system or pre lubing with coolant prevents repeat failure

24. 05-04-2012 07:43 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Rangod View Post
      removing the coolant bottle cap usually makes the noise stop if the problem is the water pump.. not a part problem as much as is no lubrication. vacuum filling the cooling system or pre lubing with coolant prevents repeat failure
      What do you mean by "vacuum filling"?

25. 05-18-2012 03:23 PM #25
      there are tools on the market that bring the cooling system into a vacuum using a ported vacuum and shop oir. then siphons coolant into the system from your coolant container.