Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sidewalks are harsh.

1. 04-04-2012 01:45 PM #26

I'd recommend 100-110psi in your tires. Wear a helmet and follow the rules of the road.
      Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure
      Shop Truck - Round 3: Back With a Vengeance?!

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda 3 HB
      04-04-2012 01:50 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      Im an idiot for not wanting to get hit by a car, yea that makes a lot of sense. Glad to know that you know what your doing, I'm sure in your 25 years of riding (I care?) you managed to mind control the other drivers, cause you know, they NEVER pose a threat otherwise

Your the reason most drivers hate bikes.
      The one time I was hit and seriously injured on my bike back when I was 15, I was riding down the sidewalk.

The paramedics explained why riding on the sidewalk is a bad idea, and how although it feels safer, its not.

Just like how having very high beltlines on a car (e.g. chrysler 300c) gives its driver a false sense of safety, or a the high ride height of an SUV, etc etc

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      04-04-2012 07:06 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      Im an idiot for not wanting to get hit by a car, yea that makes a lot of sense. Glad to know that you know what your doing, I'm sure in your 25 years of riding (I care?) you managed to mind control the other drivers, cause you know, they NEVER pose a threat otherwise
      That's right, you noob idiot. Almost 100,000 miles ridden without ever being hit by a car. I think you overestimate the threat. By all means though, go ahead and do what you think is best based on your zero experience and don't listen to all of us who've actually done it.
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

Vehicles
      '96 24v VR6 Golf
      04-04-2012 07:20 PM #29
      isn't it ILLEGAL to ride you bike on the sidewalk?
      it has been everywhere I've lived.
      WTB : 02M clutch kit and flywheel for 6spd 24v VR6. New or lightly used.
      WTB : CAE Motorsports Shifter for O2M.

5. Member
      04-04-2012 07:59 PM #30
      Might as well just drive your car on the sidewalk too, douchebag.

6. Member
      04-04-2012 10:24 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2gtd View Post
      isn't it ILLEGAL to ride you bike on the sidewalk?
      it has been everywhere I've lived.
      see post #6

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda 3 HB
      04-05-2012 09:50 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
      That's right, you noob idiot. Almost 100,000 miles ridden without ever being hit by a car. I think you overestimate the threat. By all means though, go ahead and do what you think is best based on your zero experience and don't listen to all of us who've actually done it.
      you can lead a horse to water, but you cant force it to drink . . .

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2015.5 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-e, 2004 BMW R1150R
      04-06-2012 09:56 PM #33
      You know, without knowing the specifics of his roads, I'm not going to jump down this guy's throat for riding on the sidewalk.

There's a quarter-mile stretch of road that is the only way for me to get to my home and I ride on the sidewalk along it (although technically it's a multi-use trail, where bicycles are permitted).

Why?

Because that quarter-mile stretch is a very narrow four-lane road with no median and instead of a shoulder it has a raised curb -- absolutely no room for a cyclist to share a lane with a car. This road has a lot of traffic, and this particular stretch is bounded on both ends by blind downhill curves. While the speed limit is 35 (marked at 20 at the curves on each end), people do 50 to 55 all day long. Any bicyclist on the road will force traffic into the inside lane. If this happens right after one of the blind corners -- say two cars come around the corner side-by-side and encounters a bicyclist -- there's a good chance of an accident. At that point, the odds are stacked against the person wearing lycra.

Frankly, almost all cyclists in the area avoid this particular stretch of road and take a different route instead; as I said, I have to ride along it to get to my home.

So, as a general rule I agree that one should always ride in the road. Except when one shouldn't.
      Last edited by dts; 04-06-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12