Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DSG issues

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      VW Touareg 2007, VW Jetta 2005, VW Passat 2010
      04-02-2012 11:50 PM #1
      I have recently purchased Passat 2010 2.0T DSG. I have noticed the following issues:
      1. The car moves backwards on the uphill when I takeoff my foot from the brake pedal
      2. The car has strange vibrations when it comes to full stop (downshift from the 2.gear to the 1.gear I assume)
      3. The car does not respond immediately on the pressed accelerator when it is in the full stop or when it moves slowly

Does anybody know about TSB regarding the listed issues above.

Many thanks.

2. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2007/VW/Rabbit
      04-03-2012 04:06 PM #2
      This video documents the issue in this particular case. Any comments left on the forum would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by alen_dubajic View Post
      I have recently purchased Passat 2010 2.0T DSG. I have noticed the following issues:
      1. The car moves backwards on the uphill when I takeoff my foot from the brake pedal
      2. The car has strange vibrations when it comes to full stop (downshift from the 2.gear to the 1.gear I assume)
      3. The car does not respond immediately on the pressed accelerator when it is in the full stop or when it moves slowly

Many thanks.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI Autobahn w/DSG
      04-06-2012 04:43 AM #4
      The hill thing might be a simple VCDS fix. Perhaps it got disabled somehow? Any codes?

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2007/VW/Rabbit
      04-06-2012 07:44 PM #5
      no codes

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      VW Touareg 2007, VW Jetta 2005, VW Passat 2010
      04-07-2012 07:36 PM #6
      No DSG car - no issues. I have traded in the car for a brand new jetta.

6. Junior Member Made in America's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat Wagon 2.0T
      04-09-2012 07:15 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by alen_dubajic View Post

Many thanks.
      1. There should be a Auto Hold button. This will stop the car from moving backwards.
      2. The vibrations when coming to a stop is most likely caused by a clutch pack out of alignment.
      I had mine replaced and it fixed the issue.
      3. This is a common trait and complaint of the DSG.

I personally love the DSG but it is quirky. Good luck.

7. Member
      04-09-2012 10:55 PM #8
      The DSG is basically a computer controlled stick shift. So basically what you experience in a stick shift, you will likely experience with the DSG. Backward rolls on hills (although hill assist should have been engaged) and non-instantaneous takeoff are all what occurs when you drive a stick.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI Autobahn w/DSG
      04-09-2012 11:45 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Made in America View Post
      1. There should be a Auto Hold button. This will stop the car from moving backwards.
      In the video he was pushing Auto Hold. Which is why I was thinking wiring for the switch or it's not enabled in VCDS for some reason.

9. 04-19-2012 03:45 PM #10
      As above. DSG is not an auto gearbox, so it won't drive like an auto.
      VW do an auto option, a manual option and a DSG in some models.
      DSG is a fancy auto changing manual without a clutch pedal!

10. 04-26-2012 09:25 AM #11
      As the above posters are trying to tell you, these appear to be normal operating conditions of the DSG gearbox.

If you are still concerned you can take it to the dealer and the tech will test-drive. We get these in all the time at our dealership. Most of the time it's just explaining that the DSG is not an automatic transmission, it's an electronically controlled manual and will not behave quite like anything else you're used to.

Sometimes, though, there are other issues which can be addressed.

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      04-26-2012 05:31 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
      The DSG is basically a computer controlled stick shift. So basically what you experience in a stick shift, you will likely experience with the DSG. Backward rolls on hills (although hill assist should have been engaged) and non-instantaneous takeoff are all what occurs when you drive a stick.
      Yes, but with two HUGE differences. One, You cannot skip gears while downshifting or upshifting on the DSG without engaging the gear you are trying to skip. Two, dependability. DCT's or in VW's case, the DSG, are too new to make a fair comparison at this time but reports for DSG issues far surpass MT's. The next generation DSG will hopefully be far superior in this regard.
      "There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

12. Member
      04-27-2012 01:09 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by VWRedux View Post
      Yes, but with two HUGE differences. One, You cannot skip gears while downshifting or upshifting on the DSG without engaging the gear you are trying to skip. Two, dependability. DCT's or in VW's case, the DSG, are too new to make a fair comparison at this time but reports for DSG issues far surpass MT's. The next generation DSG will hopefully be far superior in this regard.
      you can indeed skip gears, with the kickdown switch. If you try to do it with the flappy paddle, you are likely not going to be fast enough. hitting the kickdown at 30mph in 6th gear will bring the DSG to 5th, then straight down to 2nd. Trying to do that by pulling the flappy paddles will likely make the DSG do a 6-5-4-3-2 shift unless you flick it so fast that by the time it has engaged 5th, you pulled the paddle 4 times already so that the even gear, instead of going to 4th gear, will go to 2nd instead. You might be able to do a 5 to 1 shift, given in 5th gear at maybe 25mph, the car might have 6th pre-engaged, thus your sudden downshift might cause a hesitation in the downshift while the even cogs change from 6th to 4th, thus giving you a little more time to flick off the downshifts.

Alot of the complaints of dual clutch transmission is due to slushbox drivers getting weird things occuring that might be the norm in a stick shift box, but not a slushbox. Look at Ford's new car problem reporting going way up, almost all due to them putting DCT transmission in their cars.