Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: EYP 09a Tiptronic Slips After Gets Warm.

1. 04-03-2012 09:05 AM #1
      Hi All,

I have a problem with my 2002 Jetta GLS with 09a Tiptronic. It goes fairly well when it's cold but starts slipping and harsh shifting after it gets hot (normal 90C). The problem is with the second and fourth gears (more with the second). If I drive slowly then it will be fine but with moderate and high acceleration it cannot catch the second gear properly revs will go high and then BAM! (same with the fourth gear). I thought of installing additional radiator but I would be quite a challenge.
      (no error codes at all)
      Any thoughts?

Thanks, Serge

2. 04-03-2012 09:58 AM #2
      I found how to install a cooler for 01M transmission but for mine 09a no one did it or I just could not find a 'how to'.
      This is what the intercooler looks like

Serge

3. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      04-03-2012 10:28 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by sirazhudin@gmail.com View Post
      Hi All,

I have a problem with my 2002 Jetta GLS with 09a Tiptronic. It goes fairly well when it's cold but starts slipping and harsh shifting after it gets hot (normal 90C). The problem is with the second and fourth gears (more with the second). If I drive slowly then it will be fine but with moderate and high acceleration it cannot catch the second gear properly revs will go high and then BAM! (same with the fourth gear). I thought of installing additional radiator but I would be quite a challenge.
      (no error codes at all)
      Any thoughts?

Thanks, Serge
      Your problem is *not* due to high temperatures, so don't bother installing a cooler. Since you have no codes, then it is either a sticking solenoid, or more likely a pressure problem or worn out friction materials.

Others here can tell you the best way to diagnose the problem further, but adding a cooler is not the cure.

Have you changed the ATF, and checked the proper ATF level?

4. 04-03-2012 02:45 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
      Your problem is *not* due to high temperatures, so don't bother installing a cooler. Since you have no codes, then it is either a sticking solenoid, or more likely a pressure problem or worn out friction materials.

Others here can tell you the best way to diagnose the problem further, but adding a cooler is not the cure.

Have you changed the ATF, and checked the proper ATF level?
      Hi,

The ATF was recently changed with the filter. After the ATF was changed the problem would appear faster. Adding "lucas" easied the problem.

Thanks,
      Serge
      Last edited by sirazhudin@gmail.com; 04-03-2012 at 03:23 PM.