Vehicles
      Megasquirt 3x Powered 2000 Cabrio 2.0 \ 2013 FRS
      05-27-2012 04:08 PM #36
      DAMN. Thats impressive

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado ABA-T and MS3-Pro powered, 84 Honda V65 Sabre
      05-28-2012 06:51 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by ABA Scirocco View Post
      These blocks have oiling issues at really high rpm, we've blown up a few of them so I know what of I speak. If you plan to turn them much over 8000 rpm get oversized bearings that increase the main and rod clearance by 0.001". This is one of our 8v grenades, it happened when coming off throttle at about 8700 rpm.

It's the oil pump that causes the starvation issue. Around 8500 rpm or so they start to cavitate.
      The Professor
      Melbourne, FL
      92 Corrado OBD2 ABA-T (BW EFR 6258) Powered by MS3Pro
      Linfert Performance: The Megasquirt guy in central Florida Like my Facebook page....
      Sandy Linfert 11/4/1991 - 5/13/2013

3. 05-28-2012 09:19 AM #38
      There may be problem with the stock oil pump, but there's more going on than just that, we've had similar things happen on engines with an external dry sump style oil pump. The problem is at least somewhat related to how much power the engine produces, a 175bhp motor that's turned 8500rpm seems to be much more reliable than a 195 bhp motor that's turned 8500bhp, I have no way of confirming this but I think something is flexing under extreme load, either the crank or the block, a little extra bearing clearance seems to help the engine withstand this. BTW, the blown up engine in my picture was one of our first 200 bhp 8v's, it had standard bearing clearances.

4. 05-28-2012 12:04 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Sycoticmynd29 View Post
      Found some Helpful seeming threads:

Dyno Results
      Build thread

Still reading through everything in the build.

It looks like he used higher compression pistons and bigger valves than I'm planning, but he was able to hit 195whp after his rebuild, and apparently that is without it being tuned for optimum performance...

What compression ratio would you guys suggest I aim for? I heard 11:1 and up is risky on pump gas.
      hey thats my motor want to buy my itbs im currently looking into the twm's or badger5 itb's. and may be getting rid of the gsxr itb's. i have been running these flawlessly since the build.

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      05-29-2012 09:16 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by ABA Scirocco View Post
      These blocks have oiling issues at really high rpm, we've blown up a few of them so I know what of I speak. If you plan to turn them much over 8000 rpm get oversized bearings that increase the main and rod clearance by 0.001". This is one of our 8v grenades, it happened when coming off throttle at about 8700 rpm.
      Looks like I'll be setting a rev limit of 8000 haha

Are there any better oil pumps I could get? Not even to step the RPM's up more, just so that the oiling system works a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by vwjunkie42 View Post
      hey thats my motor want to buy my itbs im currently looking into the twm's or badger5 itb's. and may be getting rid of the gsxr itb's. i have been running these flawlessly since the build.
      What are you making the switch?

As for buying the GSXR's from you, PM me about it.
      Last edited by Sycoticmynd29; 05-29-2012 at 09:19 AM.
      Eurofine
      '95 Jetta 2.0: R.I.P. || '92 GTI: || 2000 GTI 1.8T: "Built" on the Cheap
      @kareem_hates_your_face

Vehicles
      77' Rabbit 16v, '92 Passat Syncro Wagon1.8t
      05-29-2012 02:44 PM #41
      I did the gsxr throttles on my 16v about 5 years ago. The car ran ms1 v2.2 and it ran decently. The biggest issue with them is that it was never consistent. I was constantly under the hood tweaking the throttles to try and retain a good idle. The biggest issue I found was the intake boot would swell and compress and would get leaks no matter what I tried.

The car ran well and sounded cool, but in the end I switched to a custom built intake with a single 70mm throttle body. The throttle response was very close and the car made a lot better power and torque.

Like valvecovergasket said, its not so much the basic tune, its getting the off idle and mid range tuned. Consistency with that setup was difficult and I would never run those or suggest running those on a high power engine. On our race car we are making 185whp and 149ft/lbs running a stock 50mm intake, 276 cams, basic port work, 12:1 compression and ms1. That is a car that runs 30min track sessions at nothing under 4000rpm If you want to do ITB's, spend the money on a nice set from TWM or Jenvey (jenvey being my preference) and you won't have to screw with trying to make the bike throttles work.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      94 golf
      05-29-2012 05:34 PM #42
      I used ae111 throttles from Toyota and have been very happy with them.

8. 05-29-2012 06:00 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by -RalleyTuned- View Post
      I did the gsxr throttles on my 16v about 5 years ago. The car ran ms1 v2.2 and it ran decently. The biggest issue with them is that it was never consistent. I was constantly under the hood tweaking the throttles to try and retain a good idle. The biggest issue I found was the intake boot would swell and compress and would get leaks no matter what I tried.

The car ran well and sounded cool, but in the end I switched to a custom built intake with a single 70mm throttle body. The throttle response was very close and the car made a lot better power and torque.

Like valvecovergasket said, its not so much the basic tune, its getting the off idle and mid range tuned. Consistency with that setup was difficult and I would never run those or suggest running those on a high power engine. On our race car we are making 185whp and 149ft/lbs running a stock 50mm intake, 276 cams, basic port work, 12:1 compression and ms1. That is a car that runs 30min track sessions at nothing under 4000rpm If you want to do ITB's, spend the money on a nice set from TWM or Jenvey (jenvey being my preference) and you won't have to screw with trying to make the bike throttles work.
      what this guy said. although i disagree with some of what it. i have had no problem with leaks. i have found that after a few years of using as a daily i need to re synch them, but all in all i have been quite happy with them. there are a few reasons i want to go with the jenveys. they are a bit bigger, they look alot cleaner, i will be able to swap trumpets easier. and they will be much easier to keep synched. also i think once i go with the bigger itb and up my fuel pressure i should be able to make over 200 bhp op referred to my build thread in a previous post but for reference specs are

2L 9A Block
      .040 Wiseco 11:1 pistons
      IE rods
      Balanced crank
      Windage tray
      SCCH intermediate shaft
      Autotech lightweight intermediate gear
      MLS 9A headgasket (stock)

Ported 1.8L PL Head
      Supertech +.5mm Intake valves backcut to 6.5mm
      Supertech +.5mm Exhaust valves
      Tapered TT guides
      Basic 3-angle valve job
      Supertech valve springs
      Supertech Ti retainers
      German OE lightweight mk4 TDI lifters
      TT 288 cams
      Autotech adj. cam gear @ 3* retarded
      GSXR1000 TB's w/ 3" Velocity of Sound trumpets

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      05-30-2012 10:59 AM #44
      what this guy said. although i disagree with some of what it. i have had no problem with leaks. i have found that after a few years of using as a daily i need to re synch them, but all in all i have been quite happy with them. there are a few reasons i want to go with the jenveys. they are a bit bigger, they look alot cleaner, i will be able to swap trumpets easier. and they will be much easier to keep synched. also i think once i go with the bigger itb and up my fuel pressure i should be able to make over 200 bhp op referred to my build thread in a previous post but for reference specs are

2L 9A Block
      .040 Wiseco 11:1 pistons
      IE rods
      Balanced crank
      Windage tray
      SCCH intermediate shaft
      Autotech lightweight intermediate gear
      MLS 9A headgasket (stock)

Ported 1.8L PL Head
      Supertech +.5mm Intake valves backcut to 6.5mm
      Supertech +.5mm Exhaust valves
      Tapered TT guides
      Basic 3-angle valve job
      Supertech valve springs
      Supertech Ti retainers
      German OE lightweight mk4 TDI lifters
      TT 288 cams
      Autotech adj. cam gear @ 3* retarded
      GSXR1000 TB's w/ 3" Velocity of Sound trumpets

Is that your red engine, or the black one?

Just asking because the beginning of the build for the black motor says you got 11.3:1 pistons
      Eurofine
      @kareem_hates_your_face

10. 05-30-2012 11:36 AM #45
      yes this is the black one and sorry they are 11.3:1

Vehicles
      '91 ITB GTI, '96 VR GTI, '96 .:R32 Harlequin #22, '07 X-Runner
      05-30-2012 12:18 PM #46
      I would highly recommend going with TWMs over Jenveys and this is coming from someone that has ran both.
      My Build ThreadDobbin's shoot #1Dobbin's shoot #2Parting out salvaged BMP 2004 R32
      >>>Reasons 1 & 2 NOT to deal with veedubtek!<<<

12. 05-30-2012 12:33 PM #47
      really, i was looking at the twms as well. a buddy of mine has them on a counterflow 8v and hates them. have you run the dth ones? from the pics i have found it looks like the linkage may not clear the water neck on the front of the head.

Vehicles
      '91 ITB GTI, '96 VR GTI, '96 .:R32 Harlequin #22, '07 X-Runner
      05-30-2012 02:47 PM #48
      really, i was looking at the twms as well. a buddy of mine has them on a counterflow 8v and hates them. have you run the dth ones? from the pics i have found it looks like the linkage may not clear the water neck on the front of the head.
      Yes I currently run the dth ones. They come with their own water neck. You can look through my build thread to see this along with pictures of both setups.
      My Build ThreadDobbin's shoot #1Dobbin's shoot #2Parting out salvaged BMP 2004 R32
      >>>Reasons 1 & 2 NOT to deal with veedubtek!<<<

14. Member
      Vehicles
      87 scirocco, 92 cabriolet
      05-31-2012 08:50 PM #49
      I built this
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ntake-manifold page 5 and 6 have the final assembly pics, the first 4 pages are parts gathering and figuring out how to do it.

what I learned is use the oe injector position, moving the injectors away from the intake valves increases the fuel wall wetting which makes tuning the off idle lean and large throttle close movment over rich impossible to tune out.

also if you are running a stand alone absolutley make sure you have your wiring dowm pat, no short cuts or you will have electrical noise issues. all sensors should have the the ground wires twisted around the signal wires to prevent inductance issues and the grounds must return to the ecu. you must have a noise free tps signal as there is a drastic change in the fueling for 0-7% throttle position.
      Last edited by weeblebiker; 05-31-2012 at 08:59 PM.
      '87 rocco ,ABA16VitbT, 9a pistons, dual exhaust cams, megasquirt v2.2 2-extra, E85,
      volvo TD0-14T turbo, celica intercooler, corolla manifold, gsxr itbs, beer can, staged injection, maf.
      exhaust cam mod info: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2508013

15. Member
      Vehicles
      84 GTI,84 GLI coupe, 78 Scirocco
      06-04-2012 01:08 AM #50
      I run jenvey itb setup on my 16v and it came as a kit with fuel rail, injectors, linkage. It costs about 1500 bucks well worth it and it looks badass.

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      06-04-2012 10:37 AM #51
      I think I am going to try to have flanges welded onto the ends of the throttles so I can bolt it to the "manifold" instead of having them connected with silicon couplers.

That way I won't have to deal with them swelling or shifting, which will hopefully make everything work a little smoother.

Now I have heard time and time again that Stand alone is required to run ITB's just because of the difference in sensors used.

Would it be possible to run OEM management with ITB's if I used a plenum?

I would replace the TPS with the TPS for the ITB's, then everything else would be the same.

Think it would work?
      Eurofine
      @kareem_hates_your_face

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      06-04-2012 10:41 AM #52
      Now I have heard time and time again that Stand alone is required to run ITB's just because of the difference in sensors used.

Would it be possible to run OEM management with ITB's if I used a plenum?

I would replace the TPS with the TPS for the ITB's, then everything else would be the same.

Think it would work?
      Swap the TPS's would only work if they had the same values, it depends upon what OEM management you are considering (it has been done, but I doubt it was very good to drive), and a standalone is generally used due to the fact it is easier to tune for the new setup.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

18. Member
      Vehicles
      94 golf
      06-04-2012 10:43 AM #53
      Do you really want to run cis-e with Itbs? Kinda defeats the purpose.

19. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      06-04-2012 11:12 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by bonesaw View Post

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      06-04-2012 11:36 AM #55
      I might be making an ass out of myself here but,

I don't think I am running CIS-e, the car is already ABA swapped with a matching ECU.

I have never been sure which cars have which fueling though, so that might still be CIS-E.

It wouldn't be the end of the line, just a middle step to get the ITB's on the car and driving sooner rather than later. Pretty much just a random idea I had, and it would be kind of cool if it worked well.
      Eurofine
      @kareem_hates_your_face

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado ABA-T and MS3-Pro powered, 84 Honda V65 Sabre
      06-04-2012 12:31 PM #56
      I might be making an ass out of myself here but,

I don't think I am running CIS-e, the car is already ABA swapped with a matching ECU.

I have never been sure which cars have which fueling though, so that might still be CIS-E.

It wouldn't be the end of the line, just a middle step to get the ITB's on the car and driving sooner rather than later. Pretty much just a random idea I had, and it would be kind of cool if it worked well.
      ABAs are electronic fuel injection.
      The Professor
      Melbourne, FL
      92 Corrado OBD2 ABA-T (BW EFR 6258) Powered by MS3Pro
      Linfert Performance: The Megasquirt guy in central Florida Like my Facebook page....
      Sandy Linfert 11/4/1991 - 5/13/2013

22. Member
      Vehicles
      94 golf
      06-04-2012 12:32 PM #57
      Is the car a 16v or 8v? Either way a plenum is required for maf or fuel management unit

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      06-04-2012 02:35 PM #58
      Currently the car is an 8v ABA

The motor the ITB's will go on will be a 16v swapped ABA.

If I have to wait until I have everything (mainly the stand alone) I will wait, just trying to think of set ups I can do as steps towards the whole.

Do you think I could get the car running normally (AKA no power loss) with that set up?

Part of the reason I'm even thinking about it is because a friend works for someone who is apparently trying to work out a way to run ITB's on OEM ECU's, although they are going more for OBD2 than OBD1, but I still see it as a step in the right direction if it will work for OBD1...
      Eurofine
      @kareem_hates_your_face

24. Member
      Vehicles
      94 golf
      06-04-2012 02:44 PM #59
      on the newer cars that have MAP sensors sure, but ABA is MAF only and a plenum would be required. You should probability wait until you get the standalone and do it right the first time.

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      06-04-2012 02:47 PM #60
      on the newer cars that have MAP sensors sure, but ABA is MAF only and a plenum would be required. You should probability wait until you get the standalone and do it right the first time.
      Getting it to run on the OEM ECU would use a plenum.

That's actually what I was trying to figure out, if it would be possible if I used a plenum to keep the MAF sensor.

None of that is a matter of how I want mine set up, just as a proof of concept really.

Thanks for the help!
      Eurofine
      @kareem_hates_your_face

26. Member
      Vehicles
      94 golf
      06-04-2012 02:48 PM #61
      It MAY work, But without proper tuning it it only going to run as good as a stock ABA.

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      06-04-2012 02:56 PM #62
      It MAY work, But without proper tuning it it only going to run as good as a stock ABA.
      That's as far as I would take it. Prove that you can do it on the Stock management, gains or not.

Getting it to actually matter would be up to anybody who actually wanted to run that set up.

I like playing with crazy ideas and thinking up ways to get them to work, just because of what it is more than what it does.

The actual build plan will stick to what is known to work.
      Eurofine
      @kareem_hates_your_face

28. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03 325i
      06-04-2012 03:02 PM #63
      I think the MAF/plenum is probably easier then getting a modded 1 window 16v dizzy working. It seems people even have trouble with that! Make sure you just buy and ABF one to save the headache.
      -Paul
      1995 GTI VR6 - Retired - 12.90@106 R32 power - 12.833@106 12v power
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning
      MK3 Race Car Partout

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      06-04-2012 03:04 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by need_a_VR6 View Post
      I think the MAF/plenum is probably easier then getting a modded 1 window 16v dizzy working. It seems people even have trouble with that! Make sure you just buy and ABF one to save the headache.
      I thought the modified Dizzy was more for the 16v head swap than the ITB's?
      Eurofine
      @kareem_hates_your_face

30. Member
      Vehicles
      87 scirocco, 92 cabriolet
      06-04-2012 08:54 PM #65
      you really need to check the thread I linked earlier
      '87 rocco ,ABA16VitbT, 9a pistons, dual exhaust cams, megasquirt v2.2 2-extra, E85,
      volvo TD0-14T turbo, celica intercooler, corolla manifold, gsxr itbs, beer can, staged injection, maf.
      exhaust cam mod info: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2508013

31. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03 325i
      06-04-2012 10:24 PM #66
      You will need the dizzy mod on stock Motronic management, period.
      -Paul
      MK3 Race Car Partout

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      06-05-2012 12:01 AM #67
      I don't think the Op knows that there is no room for the ABA dizzy in the ABA location with a 16V head on the block and the dizzy will have to be in the 16V location, meaning that the 16V dizzy is a 4 window dizzy that will have to be modded to a 1 window dizzy.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

33. Member
      Vehicles
      84 GTI,84 GLI coupe, 78 Scirocco
      06-05-2012 01:22 AM #68
      I would not advise welding to the t-bodies they will warp. The other problem is you have to run a standalone if you want to make any power on itb's.

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      06-05-2012 08:59 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by weeblebiker View Post
      you really need to check the thread I linked earlier
      I looked through it, just haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JakRabit View Post
      I would not advise welding to the t-bodies they will warp. The other problem is you have to run a standalone if you want to make any power on itb's.
      Didn't think about the throttles warping.. hm

Quote Originally Posted by ps2375 View Post
      I don't think the Op knows that there is no room for the ABA dizzy in the ABA location with a 16V head on the block and the dizzy will have to be in the 16V location, meaning that the 16V dizzy is a 4 window dizzy that will have to be modded to a 1 window dizzy.
      I didn't even think about spacing issues.

I was planning on using the 16v dizzy, and I know the windows have to be swapped in from the ABA dizzy, I just wasn't sure why you brought it up.
      Last edited by Sycoticmynd29; 06-05-2012 at 09:07 AM.
      Eurofine
      @kareem_hates_your_face

35. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03 325i
      06-05-2012 09:57 AM #70
      Because lots of people struggle to make it work.
      -Paul
      MK3 Race Car Partout

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast