Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 71 to 100 of 100

    Thread: Reasons to not buy an RS4

    1. 04-06-2012 12:20 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      I often see this pic and ask my self: dafuq?

      What is the point of this picture, to showcase the sophistication of the engine, or to show damage to the engine?

    2. Member 71DubBugBug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      10,274
      Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      04-06-2012 12:38 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by jason_kendall View Post
      I often see this pic and ask my self: dafuq?

      What is the point of this picture, to showcase the sophistication of the engine, or to show damage to the engine?
      to show the "nightmare" it is to change the chain guides/ chains and everything
      those 8 bolts hole sin the middle are for the flywheel, the chains are in the back fo the engine, and this makes it an engine out job

    3. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2011
      Location
      fargo, nodakizzle
      Posts
      73
      Vehicles
      88 Golf GL
      04-06-2012 12:49 PM #73
      Just to show off the complexity and the nightmare that the timing chains can be when one of the guide rails snaps loose. You have to drop the motor to do any work on it, and it's a laborious disaster. If you can luck out in that ballpark and keep the valves clean you should enjoy it.

      edit:nvm^

    4. Banned seadoo2006's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2008
      Location
      Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      4,871
      Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-06-2012 12:51 PM #74
      Woh, woh, woh, this thread is all wrong ... it should be "Reasons TO buy an RS4" ... I'll begin ...


    5. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      7,175
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      04-06-2012 02:51 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      Regardless of looks, the B7 RS4 is quite a bit different than a B8 S4. By "stepping up," you lose the V8, the widebody, and the rarity factor - the top three things that are drawing me to the RS4.
      I'm with this guy. Shallow but true.

      I would even spring for an RS5 before a B8 S4 with the imaginary money I don't have.

    6. 04-06-2012 02:53 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Woh, woh, woh, this thread is all wrong ... it should be "Reasons TO buy an RS4" ... I'll begin ...

      Did someone say Tubi??



      Last edited by NightTrain EX; 04-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

    7. Member machschnell's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 21st, 2000
      Location
      Philly
      Posts
      2,373
      Vehicles
      85 Westy Golf 16vT, 05 Legacy Wagon, visions of E46 M3s dancing in my head
      04-06-2012 04:11 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by jason_kendall View Post
      I often see this pic and ask my self: dafuq?

      What is the point of this picture, to showcase the sophistication of the engine, or to show damage to the engine?
      "Vorsprung durch Technik" no?

      "What the heckeblende?"
      "See this gasket, I have no confidence in this gasket!"
      "Would you like a bag for your bag made of bags?"
      "It's not too expensive, you're too cheap"
      "Ya'll don't know what it's like, being male, middle class and white!"

    8. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,661
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 04:33 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Woh, woh, woh, this thread is all wrong ... it should be "Reasons TO buy an RS4" ...
      The list would have been a lot shorter.

      Yes, they sound cool..but they were only great in 2007. 420hp is easily outclassed in that car now and for the money..if it's even making that. I heard the sludge takes away up to 50whp. And don't they barely beat S4 times?

      I'm just saying, for the money..there's C63 AMG, E55..Pontiac G8 GXP..CTS-V.. B8 S4...335xi with a tune..

    9. Member SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,822
      04-06-2012 09:18 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      The list would have been a lot shorter.

      Yes, they sound cool..but they were only great in 2007. 420hp is easily outclassed in that car now and for the money..if it's even making that. I heard the sludge takes away up to 50whp. And don't they barely beat S4 times?

      I'm just saying, for the money..there's C63 AMG, E55..Pontiac G8 GXP..CTS-V.. B8 S4...335xi with a tune..
      I know this is going along with the "Step 1; step 2" post from the last page, but - I love all of those cars, but the more I think on it, the more I realize that none of them do "it" for me like the RS4 does. This could completely change after I drive one on Monday, of course.

      I think if I was going to buy anything else, it would be a C6Z, but obviously that isn't the most practical car to have as an only car. Insurance would probably go up considerably more than the $19/mo that the RS4 bumps it, also.

    10. Member 71DubBugBug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      10,274
      Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      04-06-2012 09:45 PM #80
      10-15 years from now?

      i bet people will want to purchase the rs4, not the b8 s4

    11. 04-06-2012 09:51 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by jason_kendall View Post
      I often see this pic and ask my self: dafuq?

      What is the point of this picture, to showcase the sophistication of the engine, or to show damage to the engine?
      If you do not look at that picture and cringe over the thought of working on it, than you must not turn wrenches.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 16th, 2008
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      4,325
      Vehicles
      2014 Exocet Race and 2012 GT500 (and?)
      04-06-2012 11:41 PM #82
      water meth setup... use seafoam in the water meth tank. Kill multiple birds with one stone...

      Atmosphere
      Carbon building up
      any mosquito near by

    13. Member RS4PD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 21st, 2008
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      872
      Vehicles
      '13 Flex Ecoboost, '08 RS4, '07 GT3 RS, '03 GTI 20th AE, '98 C43 AMG, '98 S500, '95 F512 M, '88 M6
      04-07-2012 12:07 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      If you do not look at that picture and cringe over the thought of working on it, than you must not turn wrenches.
      I hope you're not talking about the carbon on the valves because if you are, you are foolishly wrong.

      So much FAIL in this thread I'm not sure where to begin. Anybody that is truely interested in one of these cars would probably be smart enigh to check the RS4 specific forums and do their due diligence on the car before purchase rather than research the car lounge but I'll add a bit to clear some misconceptions.

      Like all DI engines, carbon deposits build up around the valves. Its essentially a very light mist that ends up hardening over time and building up. I know this because I have had an IM off less than 200 miles after a cleaning....

      And regarding the process of cleaning the valves - it is extemely easy. It takes some time and muscle depending on how long the deposits have been left to sit, but it is something that any monkey with a few tools can do. In fact, to take the IM off you don't need any special tools at all.
      I am by no means a mechanic but I have done my own carbon cleaning and it was as straight forward and easy as any wrenching I've ever done. Before that, all I'd ever done were basic bolt-ons, swapped in a K04 turbo on my Gti, full alcon brakes on the Audi, and other routine stuff but that is mostly it. And I know I'm not mechanically inclined, but paying someone else to do the carbon cleaning after I saw how easy it was was not going to happen.

      The pics OP posted are very famous and are of an engine with almost 75k miles if I remeber correctly. Here are pics of mine at 17k miles - the layer was very thin and had not hardened too bad. I let Seafoam sit in each cylinder bank overnight and cleaned two cylinders each night when I got home from work. Total time if I had a free weekend would be about 6-7 hours. Now that I have done it before I can probably take an hour off of that time.





      Really not too bad.

      Yes, it is a PIA to have to do, but most owners of these cars and most of the people on this forum are car enthusiasts. Many RS owners look at it as a annual maintenance item that needs to be done to keep your car running in tip-top shape. You don't have to do it, but your performance might suffer.
      You also don't have to change your oil or tires either but..........

      Yes, you can argue that you shouldn't have to do something like this on such an expensive car but guess what....all the 997.2 owners, Cayenne and Panamera owners with DI have to deal wit the same thing.

      These are from an 08 Cayenne Turbo:





      Here is the link to that post..
      http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...eferrerid=8132

      And I don't care what any of you experts say, fuel additives and meth doesn't do sh*t to help it at all. It has been tried and anyone telling you it works on the RS4 is a liar. Some people have tried to come up with a device to spray a touch of fuel in before the ports on the IM and pass over the valves but we are still waiting to see the results. But as of right now it is something that you deal with. Every car will have it ups and downs. What you do is balance and weigh the harm/benefit, the good/vs bad. All in all, I am very happy to do some extra maintenance and get to know my car more intimately once a year or so if it allows me to drive and own such an awesome car with a smile on my face. Basically, to me, the overall benefits of the car far outweigh this problem.

      Now, I am quite a few thousand miles away from talking about the timing chain but that is for the dealer to handle when time comes but it is not something I'm worried about since the RS has updated guides and tensioner's and is very different from the S4. I am not trying to 'sell' the car to anyone, in fact those that know me know I couldn't care less what people think about my car choices, but threads like this is how misinformation and rumors can spread to those not in the know. Keep up the good info TCL.
      Last edited by RS4PD; 04-07-2012 at 12:25 PM.

    14. 04-07-2012 01:26 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      If you do not look at that picture and cringe over the thought of working on it, than you must not turn wrenches.
      Lol son the only wrenches i turn are connected to a button i push when im changing my summer wheels/tires.

    15. Member WakusPakus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2012
      Location
      860 and 727
      Posts
      2,410
      Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      04-07-2012 09:47 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by jason_kendall View Post
      Lol son the only wrenches i turn are connected to a button i push when im changing my summer wheels/tires.



      Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Giant deer orgy statue, whale sex videos, and turtle pee-pee which pops out like a pouncing snake.

    16. Member WakusPakus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2012
      Location
      860 and 727
      Posts
      2,410
      Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      04-07-2012 09:52 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by RS4PD View Post
      I hope you're not talking about the carbon on the valves because if you are, you are foolishly wrong.



      So much FAIL in this thread I'm not sure where to begin. Anybody that is truely interested in one of these cars would probably be smart enigh to check the RS4 specific forums and do their due diligence on the car before purchase rather than research the car lounge but I'll add a bit to clear some misconceptions.



      Like all DI engines, carbon deposits build up around the valves. Its essentially a very light mist that ends up hardening over time and building up. I know this because I have had an IM off less than 200 miles after a cleaning....



      And regarding the process of cleaning the valves - it is extemely easy. It takes some time and muscle depending on how long the deposits have been left to sit, but it is something that any monkey with a few tools can do. In fact, to take the IM off you don't need any special tools at all.

      I am by no means a mechanic but I have done my own carbon cleaning and it was as straight forward and easy as any wrenching I've ever done. Before that, all I'd ever done were basic bolt-ons, swapped in a K04 turbo on my Gti, full alcon brakes on the Audi, and other routine stuff but that is mostly it. And I know I'm not mechanically inclined, but paying someone else to do the carbon cleaning after I saw how easy it was was not going to happen.



      The pics OP posted are very famous and are of an engine with almost 75k miles if I remeber correctly. Here are pics of mine at 17k miles - the layer was very thin and had not hardened too bad. I let Seafoam sit in each cylinder bank overnight and cleaned two cylinders each night when I got home from work. Total time if I had a free weekend would be about 6-7 hours. Now that I have done it before I can probably take an hour off of that time.











      Really not too bad.



      Yes, it is a PIA to have to do, but most owners of these cars and most of the people on this forum are car enthusiasts. Many RS owners look at it as a annual maintenance item that needs to be done to keep your car running in tip-top shape. You don't have to do it, but your performance might suffer.

      You also don't have to change your oil or tires either but..........



      Yes, you can argue that you shouldn't have to do something like this on such an expensive car but guess what....all the 997.2 owners, Cayenne and Panamera owners with DI have to deal wit the same thing.



      These are from an 08 Cayenne Turbo:











      Here is the link to that post..

      http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...eferrerid=8132



      And I don't care what any of you experts say, fuel additives and meth doesn't do sh*t to help it at all. It has been tried and anyone telling you it works on the RS4 is a liar. Some people have tried to come up with a device to spray a touch of fuel in before the ports on the IM and pass over the valves but we are still waiting to see the results. But as of right now it is something that you deal with. Every car will have it ups and downs. What you do is balance and weigh the harm/benefit, the good/vs bad. All in all, I am very happy to do some extra maintenance and get to know my car more intimately once a year or so if it allows me to drive and own such an awesome car with a smile on my face. Basically, to me, the overall benefits of the car far outweigh this problem.



      Now, I am quite a few thousand miles away from talking about the timing chain but that is for the dealer to handle when time comes but it is not something I'm worried about since the RS has updated guides and tensioner's and is very different from the S4. I am not trying to 'sell' the car to anyone, in fact those that know me know I couldn't care less what people think about my car choices, but threads like this is how misinformation and rumors can spread to those not in the know. Keep up the good info TCL.

      Lol all that and he was talking about a picture of the engine itself


      Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Giant deer orgy statue, whale sex videos, and turtle pee-pee which pops out like a pouncing snake.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 2002
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,967
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      04-07-2012 10:07 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Woh, woh, woh, this thread is all wrong ... it should be "Reasons TO buy an RS4" ... I'll begin ...
      Factory Wide body

    18. 04-07-2012 10:28 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by RS4PD View Post
      I hope you're not talking about the carbon on the valves because if you are, you are foolishly wrong.
      You can see the valves in that picture?

      And where would you get the idea that I was talking about carbon from my post?

    19. Member Baddass93TA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 23rd, 2005
      Location
      West End A-Town
      Posts
      845
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi RS4, 1993 Pontiac Trans Am, 1940 Buick Special
      04-07-2012 10:56 PM #89
      I wouldnt trade mine for the world.

      In all honesty, the B8 S4 might be a better choice? But they just look too damn boring
      2007 Audi RS4, Daily Driver
      1993 Pontiac Trans Am, Track Toy
      1940 Buick Special, Family Heirloom

    20. 04-08-2012 12:38 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by WakusPakus View Post


      Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
      mad?

    21. 04-08-2012 12:39 AM #91
      Just get a B8 S4. It is very fast and the Supercharged V6 is a tunable engine. My dad just got one with the DSG and sports differential and it is a beast of a car. I went into a tight s-turn going quick and the car would not lose grip.
      Quote Originally Posted by 71DubBugBug View Post
      10-15 years from now?

      i bet people will want to purchase the rs4, not the b8 s4
      The Supercharged V6 is a better engine then the V8. The B8 S4 is also less front heavy then S5 and older S4/RS4. The 7 speed DSG in the B8 S4 shifts so quick it is unbelievable and has launch control.
      Last edited by 50fridge; 04-08-2012 at 12:45 AM.

    22. Member DUBSfightinRUST's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 12th, 2011
      Location
      Rust belt , Pennsyltucky
      Posts
      479
      Vehicles
      Current = 2008 GTI & rusty '95 suburban
      04-08-2012 12:54 AM #92
      OK..I am going to give you guys a bit of dangerous advice from days gone past. As far as the carbon thing goes, old carburetor cars used to have some pretty nasty carbon issues with the early emissions systems (before engineers knew how to actually get rid of the poisonous gases).

      Old time mechanics - in which I apprenticed - used to pull a vacuum hose off and let the engines suck in tranmission fluid or "Marvel Mystery oil".

      It worked on old American engines (circa 1975-1990) ,but could end up in an EPIC FAIL (i.e. ,blown engine/bent valves) - so ya might wanna ignore everything I am saying.

      It did work on old engines ,yet the new engines are built to VERY different standards with different materials. >>You might want to try it out on your buddies car first!<<
      Someday I will post something stupid here, but not yet.

    23. Member MightyDSM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      St. Louis
      Posts
      6,376
      Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      04-08-2012 01:06 AM #93
      If the first 2 pictures in this thread are not enough to make you go like "f that" then I don't think there's anything that can persuade you not to get one. Maybe if it came with Acura Girl?
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

    24. Member jddaigle's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 30th, 2003
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      5,404
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      04-08-2012 02:20 PM #94
      So to clean the carbon off you just take off the intake manifold and get in there with a toothbrush and what have you? Do you just let the carbon fall into the cylinder? Seems like you'd want to take the head off and do it on a workbench.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

    25. Member SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,822
      04-08-2012 09:08 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      Just get a B8 S4. It is very fast and the Supercharged V6 is a tunable engine. My dad just got one with the DSG and sports differential and it is a beast of a car. I went into a tight s-turn going quick and the car would not lose grip.

      The Supercharged V6 is a better engine then the V8. The B8 S4 is also less front heavy then S5 and older S4/RS4. The 7 speed DSG in the B8 S4 shifts so quick it is unbelievable and has launch control.
      Couldn't care less about DSG, I won't own anything but a true manual. The new blown 3.0 does nothing but turn me off from the car, if they went back to a V6, I wish they would've brought the turbos back with it.

      Quote Originally Posted by jddaigle View Post
      So to clean the carbon off you just take off the intake manifold and get in there with a toothbrush and what have you? Do you just let the carbon fall into the cylinder? Seems like you'd want to take the head off and do it on a workbench.
      Scrub on it with the valves closed, vacuum it out.

    26. 04-08-2012 11:39 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      Couldn't care less about DSG, I won't own anything but a true manual. The new blown 3.0 does nothing but turn me off from the car, if they went back to a V6, I wish they would've brought the turbos back with it.



      Scrub on it with the valves closed, vacuum it out.
      To be honest i think the Supercharger is better for the S4 because it does not lag like most Turbo engines. Have you driven the B8 S4 yet?

    27. Member MRVW00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2000
      Location
      Everywhere you want to be.
      Posts
      9,626
      Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      04-09-2012 12:06 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by MightyDSM View Post
      .....Acura Girl
      YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

      I'm going to have nightmares now...

      You know why I'm gay? ACURA GIRL!
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

    28. Member lrgskate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 2009
      Location
      Canada, eh
      Posts
      466
      Vehicles
      1.8t E30
      04-09-2012 12:06 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      De-carb, X8
      i will laugh to my self hysterically

    29. 04-09-2012 12:48 AM #99
      sh!t design. m3 v8 pls.

    30. Member SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,822
      04-09-2012 05:43 PM #100
      Drove an RS4 today, there's no chance I'm not buying one as soon as the B5 is sold.

      I have yet to hear an internet video that accurately conveys the sound of the exhaust.... it is that good.

    31. Member sjparker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 21st, 2007
      Location
      Roanoke, VA
      Posts
      512
      Vehicles
      08 bullitt, 97 jetta gt............^^buy my Bullitt
      04-09-2012 06:39 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      The Supercharged V6 is a better engine then the V8. The B8 S4 is also less front heavy then S5 and older S4/RS4. The 7 speed DSG in the B8 S4 shifts so quick it is unbelievable and has launch control.
      B7 RS4 also has launch control...engage first, hold right foot down, slide left foot off the clutch.

      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      Drove an RS4 today, there's no chance I'm not buying one as soon as the B5 is sold.

      I have yet to hear an internet video that accurately conveys the sound of the exhaust.... it is that good.
      good for you.

      good luck in the sale of your B5

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •