Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Looking for my 1st VW: 2006 Golf TDI or 2007/8/9 Rabbit 2.5?

Vehicles
      2009 Rabbit 4-dr 5-spd
      04-03-2012 04:37 PM #1
      I've been reading any tidbit of info I can. I'm looking for my first VW. I love the Rabbit's and we almost bought one 3 years ago for my hubby's daily driver. We decided instead to get a Mazda 6 since it suited him better.

I'm tired of my gas guzzling mini-van and want to downsize. He thinks I should get a TDI for better fuel economy but that would mean 2006 or older since the newer ones aren't in my budget. I'd rather have a Rabbit but that would mean a sacrifice in fuel mileage. I'm currently looking for a new job so no idea what my commute will be like and if it will warrant the TDI. It could be anywhere from 20 km round trip all the way up to 110 km round trip. Currently I just do short trips near home for groceries, picking up the kids, etc. Also, I want a manual.

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm so torn as to which way to go.

Amanda

Vehicles
      2009 Rabbit 4-dr 5-spd
      04-03-2012 06:02 PM #2
      Just found the Car Buying section. Should I post again in there or can this thread be moved there for me?

Thanks,

Amanda

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit Diesel, 01 Golf TDI
      04-04-2012 03:15 PM #3
      A friend of mine has a 2009 Rabbit. He really likes it except for the fuel mileage. The best he's done with the 2.5L is 29mpg (~8L/100km). A 2004-2006 Golf will get 40-45mpg pretty easily (~5-5.5L/100km). It's quite a difference.

That said, the Rabbit is going to be a nicer car, simply because it's newer with a newer design. If you can live with the fuel economy, it's really a great car.

Good luck!
      2001 Golf TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
      http://matt_lisa.home.sprynet.com/

Vehicles
      2009 Rabbit 4-dr 5-spd
      04-06-2012 08:38 PM #4
      Thanks for the reply Matt. A friend that works for VW dealership and asked the tecs the same question. They recommended that Rabbit as well unless I plan to do LOTS of mileage. I just need to decide if I can live with the poor mileage. No matter what it'll be better then my mini-van. I enjoy driving so I don't want a gutless little 4 banger so will likely have to sacrifice the fuel mileage.