Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: '01 EV MV AXK Fog Light Issue

Vehicles
      2001 VW EV MV Weekender
      04-03-2012 04:58 PM #1
      Hey gang; I searched and searched and cannot find the answer(s) I need to determine what's going on with my fog lights.
      I have a 2001 EV MV Weekender w/ AXK -

Fog lights have worked fine since I bought the van new in '00. I replace bulbs here and there as needed.

I recently had a headlight bulb fail and while at it, thought I'd replace all the lights up front; head and fog. So I replaced them both (headlight bulbs and fog light bulbs); the fog lights do not come on (they haven't come on for a little while now but lived with it) - nor does the little Fog Light LED on the light switch. I checked the fuse...it's good...both new bulbs.

Now for some additional info -

I removed my DRL relay recently to conserve the expensive H7 bulbs and while at it, I also replaced my headlight switch with the euro version enabling the use of the parking lights, fog lights, etc separately and eventually add the rear fog light.

Does the DRL relay have anything to do with the fog lights (was located above center console on the floor and was labeled "94")?
      If my fog light fuse (shown in position 10 in the upper fuse panel under knee bar) is good; is there also a relay I should check?
      If so, where is it and what is it's number/label?

HELP

Thanks in advance!

2. 04-04-2012 02:34 PM #2
      I would be more suspicious of your Euro H/L switch. Some people have had issues with these on the 2001+ vans as there was a mid-year wiring change somewhere in the van that isn't compatible with some switches. Also I hope it's a typo that you said "H7 bulbs" because there are no H7 bulbs in a Eurovan. They are 9003/HB2 (H4 generally acceptable interchange for the purpose of this discussion) for the headlamps and I believe H3 for the foglamps.

1. Make sure you are using 9003/HB2 or H4 bulbs for your headlamps, not H7.

2. Check foglamp fuse.

3. Check in the lowest row of relays (right above the line of fuses) in the main fuse panel. In position 10 I think it is, you will find either a relay or a metal jumper clip. This is essential for the fogs to work.

4. I would put your DRL relay back and put back the USA switch (revert to original setup). Do the foglamps work? They should if all of the above are OK.

5. Remove DRL relay. Retry fogs. Do they work? My guess is yes. I think the only thing you lose here is DRLs.

6. Now swap in the Euro switch, retry fogs. Do they work? I am guessing possibly no at this point. This would point to the switch being bad or you are using the incorrect one.

Vehicles
      2001 VW EV MV Weekender
      04-04-2012 03:26 PM #3
      Thanks for the quick response, gti_matt!

My mistake and not sure why I typed "H7" as they are indeed H4 bulbs.

After double-checking everything you suggested, and whilst fiddling around with the wiring behind the fuse panel, I discovered the the gremlin I faced was simply a loose connection.

DOH! Loose wire.

I now run w/out DRL's and enjoy the Euroswitch; nice little improvement indeed.

Everything works as hoped and thank you so much for your quick and information-laden response!

Members like gti_matt are what make this forum so invaluable to the VW owner.

4. 04-04-2012 04:04 PM #4
      Glad it was simple.

Re: the DRLs...when I had my '00 they didn't bother me so I left the DRL relay in there but I had added aftermarket fogs (triggered through the normal Euroswitch's foglamp setting) and a rear fog and a Euroswitch. The DRLs still worked w/the Euroswitch OK, as follows:

Position 0 = DRLs on.

Position >< = DRLs off, parking lights on (dash, tails, front corners, etc.). However I don't remember offhand if running the front or rear fogs in this position was possible.

Position =D = Normal headlamps on, front and rear fogs operable.

I know some people just want to kill the DRLs/headlamps when doing something like pulling into a campground at night so as to not disturb other campers with the headlamps, in which case it makes sense to run carefully with just parking lamps on. The setup described above works for this.

Never had a problem with bulbs going out on my van using DRLs all the time. 9003s/H4s seem pretty robust. But to each his own; I know that DRLs are sort of a quasi hot-button for people, kinda like politics. ("Don't force me to run my lights this is a free country I'll do as I please...")

5. 04-04-2012 04:08 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mtb2liv View Post
      After double-checking everything you suggested, and whilst fiddling around with the wiring behind the fuse panel, I discovered the the gremlin I faced was simply a loose connection.
      Back in the day I had a Mk2 GTI with the CE2 electrical system (nearly identical to the Eurovan's core electrics and configuration) and I did something behind the fuse box (and possibly lifted it out of its hooks a bit) and inadvertantly knocked a wire loose such that it had intermittent connections. Whatever it was, it had to do with the ignition system. The car would stall and sometime restart and other times not. The last time it happened had the car towed to the dealer and they spent nearly a week on it, replacing the ECU, etc. Eventually when that didn't work they found the loose wire and all was well (I was not charged for the ECU and they reverted back to my old one...was just charged for the labor for the hunt for the gremlin).

Bottom line, be careful poking around in there and especially if you lower the box out of its hooks. Apparently it's not hard to dislodge something and good luck finding it.

Vehicles
      2001 VW EV MV Weekender
      04-04-2012 05:11 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Glad it was simple.

Re: the DRLs...when I had my '00 they didn't bother me so I left the DRL relay in there but I had added aftermarket fogs (triggered through the normal Euroswitch's foglamp setting) and a rear fog and a Euroswitch. The DRLs still worked w/the Euroswitch OK, as follows:

Position 0 = DRLs on.

Position >< = DRLs off, parking lights on (dash, tails, front corners, etc.). However I don't remember offhand if running the front or rear fogs in this position was possible.

Position =D = Normal headlamps on, front and rear fogs operable.

I know some people just want to kill the DRLs/headlamps when doing something like pulling into a campground at night so as to not disturb other campers with the headlamps, in which case it makes sense to run carefully with just parking lamps on. The setup described above works for this.

Never had a problem with bulbs going out on my van using DRLs all the time. 9003s/H4s seem pretty robust. But to each his own; I know that DRLs are sort of a quasi hot-button for people, kinda like politics. ("Don't force me to run my lights this is a free country I'll do as I please...")
      I have actually enjoyed pretty good life spans over the past 10 or so years with my H4 headlight bulbs/DRL's...was just looking to be able to run the fogs (front and rear) w/out the headlights now and then...thanks again for all your input; it's been great!

Vehicles
      '78 Rabbit; '85 Quantum wagon; '82 Callaway Rabbit truck; '02 Eurovam MV; '10 Ducati 1198S Corse
      04-05-2012 02:25 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Yes, you can pull the switch out both one or 2 clicks for the fogs both front & rear when it's just in the parking light position. I run with parking lights ( I also have city lights since I have E-codes) & fogs if it's only dusk
      www.desmolition.com

Follow me on Facebook at ducatiscotty