Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 09A Tranny issues 2nd to 3rd

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta 1.8T
      04-03-2012 07:56 PM #1
      Hello everybody, as im reading to see if anyone has previously posted any of the same problems that I have been having and hadn't found anything so im going to post a thread so I hope someone could help me. I have a 2003 VW jetta 1.8T obviously with the auto transmission. My car can shift from 1st to 2nd with ease but it always has a hard time shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes I can get it to shift easily with barely any torque but when I need a quick shift it wont shift until around 3100 rpms, and it usually kicks. So is it just the solenoids (N88, N89, N92)? Or is it something else? If I do replace these possibly bad solenoids do I need to do them all?And do I need a gasket kit if I take off the tranny pan?

Also im getting this rattling noise from the tranny almost like a grinding noise. What is that?

Thanks for reading this long post and hope you can help

04-06-2012 12:55 PM #2
      check for any codes , vcds or some similar to it , about grinding noise if u will do the solenoids u will have to drain it so look at the plug(magnet) & fluid color ,gasket wise is just rtv sealant, as far as solenoids there is another thread arond here and they have a link to a chart w all of them

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI
      04-26-2012 09:38 PM #3
      hello, i have a 05 GLI with the same issue. All shifts are fine but hesitates when going from 2nd to 3rd and if rpms are too high it will jerk when 3rd engages. Although if I push it(with tiptronic) into 3rd and then let off the gas then slowly press back on it, it will shift ok. However, I am not experiencing any grinding noise.

I had it serviced at a tranny shop earlier in the week and when they changed the fluid they commented that it was an odd color but the magnet didn't show an alarming amount of debris.

Regardless the problem is still there. Would a scan show codes even if the CEL isn't on? I'm unfortunatly still quite a n00b when it comes to these types of issues.

Please point me in the right direction.

05-01-2012 09:33 AM #4
      Might have sticky solenoids but find out what fluid they put in and how much

5. Member
      Vehicles
      02' GTI 1.8T (R.I.P) 00' Jetta 2. Slow
      05-05-2012 09:28 PM #5
      First do any of you have an overheating problem in the least bit because if you do know that the engine coolant circulates around the transmission case in turn can overheat the fluid making the solenoids sticky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 1Sexy337/1FastGti

6. Member
      Vehicles
      02' GTI 1.8T (R.I.P) 00' Jetta 2. Slow
      05-05-2012 09:29 PM #6
      P.s. that's the problem I had that eventually caused my trans to go problem is I had no idea till the tranny guy told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 1Sexy337/1FastGti