Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: TT-RS Detailing Day

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      04-03-2012 11:41 PM #1
      I know there are probably other threads about detailing but after a lot of research, I ended up purchasing some fantastic products so I thought I'd share. I'd say that if you have a dark car this is more applicable. The pictures are not that great because I used my phone but they do the trick. Took about 4 hours.

Here are the products used:

P21s Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo:

Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner:

Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Wax:

Audi Cockpit Care (manufactured by Autoglym):

Cobra high quality Microfibers (green waffle is for drying, blue waffle is for cleaning glass, grey is for interior plastics and exterior buffing, etc.)

Grit Guard:

Chenille Wash Mitt:

Sonax applied for 5 minutes:

After power washed:

Washed and dried:

Rest of pics is after 2 coats of the wax applied:

These are the best products I've ever used. The Sonax is amazing, no need to scrub, takes everything off and is ph neutral and acid free. The Pinnacle wax is unreal. It goes on literally like butter and leaves the car with an amazing, no blemish glossy shine. The cobra Microfibers are definitely worth the investment and super plush.

Next I'm going to purchase a product by, I believe Wolf's as it's suppose to be a great wheel protectant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by J662; 04-04-2012 at 12:20 AM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Audi TTRS Volcano Red
      04-03-2012 11:57 PM #2
      I cannot say how much I appreciate your post!

NE TTRS GTG next week and it's been years since I cared enough about a car to detail it myself. Wash, wheels, interior - no problem. Wax - ugh! So you really liked this wax? Worth it?

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      04-04-2012 12:18 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by redz9269 View Post
      I cannot say how much I appreciate your post!

NE TTRS GTG next week and it's been years since I cared enough about a car to detail it myself. Wash, wheels, interior - no problem. Wax - ugh! So you really liked this wax? Worth it?
      You're welcome. Autogeek sells all that stuff btw. I know there are other great products out there but after researching I think it's safe to say that these are some of the best for sure.

So the wax is 95.00 and it's worth the money in my opinion because a little goes a long way. It's ultra pure carnauba. The wax is amazing no white flaky powder and no need to let it dry. Wipe on with applicator pad and buff off right away. Having said that, it's great for any car but especially for dark cars. I'd imagine it would work great on Volcano Red because I think it's dark enough.

Keep in mind there are two things that people do to protect paint. I won't go into it too much cause it's lengthy, but some people use a natural carnauba and others use synthetic paint sealers. I went the old school route I guess you could say...

Also if you get this wax you may want to consider a polish that you apply before. This essentially cleans/preps the paint prior to usin the wax. You only need to use this if you've had your car for over 6 months or you park it outside and exposed to elements. If I recall correctly, you do park it outside.

Good luck!

Last edited by J662; 04-04-2012 at 12:23 AM.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS, 2012 Audi A5 3.2
      04-05-2012 10:08 AM #4
      Awesome post... thanks for sharing!

I just picked up a bottle of the Sonax & can't wait to try it out. I've been searching high & low for a good wheel cleaner.

Vehicles
      Axis of Evil
      04-05-2012 10:30 AM #5
      Looks good not a bad start. Interested in trying out that wheel cleaner. I highly suggest a prewax claybar treatment otherwise you are just sealing pollutants into your paint with the wax. If you havent tried this before you will be simply amazed at the differance in your paint. I detailed my TTS earlier this week, wash, claybar, polish/swirl remover, wax. Today I will apply another coat of a pure carnuba wax. I spent just under an hour cleaning under the hood and the door/hatch jambs before I ever started on the car. I may have issues.

mmmmmm so clean

NR/NR

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 11:58 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by SKNKWRX View Post
      Looks good not a bad start. Interested in trying out that wheel cleaner. I highly suggest a prewax claybar treatment otherwise you are just sealing pollutants into your paint with the wax. If you havent tried this before you will be simply amazed at the differance in your paint. I detailed my TTS earlier this week, wash, claybar, polish/swirl remover, wax. Today I will apply another coat of a pure carnuba wax. I spent just under an hour cleaning under the hood and the door/hatch jambs before I ever started on the car. I may have issues.

mmmmmm so clean

Definitely prewax and cleaner is good, but because I just got my car like 1 month ago it was free of pollutants so I was able to get away with a good clean then wax.

I have the same obsession it sounds like when it comes to cleaning this thing. Kind of freaks me out some times! Ha. Nice door jambs!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 07:15 PM #7

mmmmmm so clean
      Quote Originally Posted by J662 View Post
      Definitely prewax and cleaner is good, but because I just got my car like 1 month ago it was free of pollutants so I was able to get away with a good clean then wax.

I have the same obsession it sounds like when it comes to cleaning this thing. Kind of freaks me out some times! Ha. Nice door jambs!
      You've both got issues.

So, given that my car is 12 weeks off the boat, volcano red, and isn't garaged…what prewax do you gents suggest? And why do I have the feeling that this is going to take detailing into the 5+hr range!

8. 04-05-2012 07:23 PM #8
      You've both got issues.

So, given that my car is 12 weeks off the boat, volcano red, and isn't garaged…what prewax do you gents suggest? And why do I have the feeling that this is going to take detailing into the 5+hr range!
      Clay it first, I highly recommend claymagic for this.
      Follow up with a fine polish from Menzerna, I've been using their P106FA with a Flex polisher lately with very good results
      Pick your favorite wax or sealant to top.

Really wish I had a few days to spend on mine, the paint feels absolutely awful.
      Last edited by JohnLZ7W; 04-05-2012 at 07:25 PM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      04-05-2012 08:31 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      Clay it first, I highly recommend claymagic for this.
      Follow up with a fine polish from Menzerna, I've been using their P106FA with a Flex polisher lately with very good results
      Pick your favorite wax or sealant to top.

Really wish I had a few days to spend on mine, the paint feels absolutely awful.
      Polish seems like a bad idea on such new paint. Why remove part of the clear coat with polish on such a new finish? Wait until it really needs it a few years down the line.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

10. 04-05-2012 08:54 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Polish seems like a bad idea on such new paint. Why remove part of the clear coat with polish on such a new finish? Wait until it really needs it a few years down the line.
      Because there are place where it is clearly needed either from handling at port or from the dealer's paint prep guy. The polish I linked is a very fine polish and is perfectly safe to use once a year and will enhance the gloss and depth of the paint.

My mk1 went almost 11yrs with twice a year polishes and still had all of it's paint (contrary to all of the comments that I polished it all away to primer )

But then again I'm a bit of a rebel anyway what with my cat-delete pipes and 2500mile oil change

11. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012/TTRS/Suzuka Gray, Tech Package, Sports Exhaust
      04-05-2012 09:41 PM #11
      Any pics of the interior? How did you like the Audi Cockpit care? Im really not a big fan of huge shine so thats why I ask.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 01:02 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1111 View Post
      Any pics of the interior? How did you like the Audi Cockpit care? Im really not a big fan of huge shine so thats why I ask.
      I don't think you would notice a difference if I took pics, especially with my phone because there's really no sheen once you wipe off.

Put it this way, I never have used any products on my dash cause I can't stand a shine...any shine. This stuff is really good. I would have tossed it immediately if it looked any different than how it came from factory. It smells really good like the same fresh new car smell, really light, and it goes on and wipes off easily. It says a satin finish on the can but I didn't notice any; looked matte to me. Non oily, sticky, no residue.

The only thing is you have to spray it in little "blips" cause it's a fine mist.

Last edited by J662; 04-06-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 01:27 AM #13
      You've both got issues.

Yup. 5+ hours is about right. But it's worth it when you're done.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      04-06-2012 09:51 AM #14
      I threw the second coat of wax since I got it on my RS yesterday. I'm using some garden variety Meguiars carnauba but it works for me as good as some of the more expensive stuff I've had in the past. The biggest lesson I've learned over the years is to wash the car frequently, and I usually just use plain water or very mild soap, and use ONLY microfiber towels. Old school cotton towels, no matter how soft, end up micro-scratching today's modern clear coats.
      Good thing about the TT is it's an easy car to keep clean. It's mostly broad flat surfaces wax, hose, and dry off easily. It also doesn't have too many areas that collect water when washing, my MINI seems to leak from several orifices even after drying it thoroughly.
      I'm off to Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning so I wanted it to look good. I'll give it one more wipedown this evening as well as wash the wheels real good. It'll be representing us well tomorrow.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      Axis of Evil
      04-06-2012 10:15 AM #15

You paint has TONS of crap on it when you take delivery from transit, packing materials sitting in port etc. First thing you should do when you get a new car is clay it and wax it.
      NR/NR

16. Member
      Vehicles
      04-06-2012 01:58 PM #16
      Yup. 5+ hours is about right. But it's worth it when you're done.

Or I could just get some nice guy to do it for me....

No, I'll end up doing it myself this weekend (because I'm Type A and I too have "issues") then touching up next Friday for the NE GTG. I did take your product suggestions and they should arrive tomorrow morning - just in time for my morning to get eaten up!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      04-06-2012 01:59 PM #17
      You paint has TONS of crap on it when you take delivery from transit, packing materials sitting in port etc. First thing you should do when you get a new car is clay it and wax it.
      I was too busy admiring her from the inside to park long enough to clay and wax it!

18. 04-06-2012 02:20 PM #18
      Very true. Probably the worst your paint will ever have it is sitting near rail yards and in port prior to delivery.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Honda DelSol, 2012 TT RS
      04-06-2012 04:40 PM #19
      Yeah! I'll be washing this weekend too. So dirty, haven't been able to wash her for 3 weeks now
      I waxed my baby about a month ago with this.
      Took me about 6 hours to wash, "cleanse" and then wax. You'll definitely want a multiple micro fibre clothes for the waxing. The Zymol wax was impressive. I'm not a huge authority on car waxes, but when a car wax comes with a hand signed signature of hand mixed authenticity, you can bet they mean business. Just a general note, both the HD Cleanse, and the Titanium wax smelled, almost eatable. Not what I was expecting from a car detailing kit. But it made the process enjoyable. Went on easy, and left a fantastic sheen, that beaded water even after the second wash. I was greatly impressed.
      2012 Audi TTRS — Suzuka`Ti`CFMirrors`