Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ATQ rear coolant pipe?

1. 04-04-2012 07:26 AM #1
      I recently replaced the rear coolant pipe O rings, because of what appeared to be coolant burning off the exhaust behind cylinders 3 & 6. The problem is still there. I didn't pay much attention to the pipe, other than to clean the flanges and lands. Has anyone ever experienced hairline cracks in this pipe?

2. 04-13-2012 10:35 AM #2
      are you sure its not the coolant expansion tank? mine crack all the time on the bottom and leak coolant. i think im on my 3rd expansion tank now..

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      04-16-2012 11:43 PM #3
      it is common to see the head gaskets leak on 98-01 aha/atq engines.
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      04-25-2012 04:48 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by pfmbox View Post
      I recently replaced the rear coolant pipe O rings, because of what appeared to be coolant burning off the exhaust behind cylinders 3 & 6. The problem is still there. I didn't pay much attention to the pipe, other than to clean the flanges and lands. Has anyone ever experienced hairline cracks in this pipe?
      Best way to diagnose this is to pressurize the coolant system with testing equipment. Never heard that it's common for head gaskets to leak.
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent