Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Good quality dash panel protectant?

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-04-2012 09:39 AM #1
      Anyone familiar with older German cars knows that the dashes can be at risk of shrinkage and cracking. The dash in my 300TE is pretty nice but I want to keep it soft and protected. Right now, it just gets wiped down with a damp rag, maybe with some Sprayaway glass cleaner on it. I just don't want the plastic to dry out too much.

I'd like to get a protectant on it that keeps it looking clean but doesn't make it all shiny and cause glare on the windshield. It's a medium-hard, black plastic surface, not has hard as 90's GM, but not as soft as a late model VW.

Any suggestions on a good product?
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

04-04-2012 10:54 AM #2
      First off the window cleaner most likely has alcohol in it and it may dry the dash.

Any of the water based protectants will do for you .. some offer a matte finish .. or you can spray them on a damp cloth and apply .. this will dilute them some.

3. 04-04-2012 11:05 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      shrinkage
      I was in the pool! I was in the pool!

Joking aside, I would recommend two things:

Internet Order - 303 Aerospace Protectant (Best Option)
      OTC - Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant (Great Option)

Both offer a low shine matt finish that protects well.
      Last edited by 67Customs; 04-04-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-04-2012 11:17 AM #4

Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

5. 04-07-2012 09:36 AM #6
      Big fan of Optimum protectant plus. Doesn't leave a high shine, isn't sticky. Looks the way it should IMO. Also I really like using Optimum opti-clean on interior panels as well when all you really need is a good wipedown, not a detail.