Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for the extra ummph out of my 1.8t

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      04-12-2012 09:23 AM #36
      Talk to your Unitronic dealer about credit of your existing Uni tune going towards a different tune. They may have an upgrade-path.

Or sell your chipped ECM to recoup some of the investment and get a stock ECM to put the new tune on.

Your AEB engine is running the Me5 engine management system. Upgrading to the AWM wideband Me7 system is more involved than just plugging in a newer ECM. You'd need to also upgrade the engine bay wiring harness and all the sensors. Even if you do this, you're still capped by the limitations of the stock K03 turbo you have. Your KO3 is your main limiting factor at this point.
      Last edited by Steve in Chicago; 04-12-2012 at 09:35 AM.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8T Passat 1999
      04-12-2012 04:43 PM #37
      lol to weehe. im happy my car wont explode, thats good .

im looking to use most stock parts and just upgrade them. if i dont get 250 hp by the end of the year its not like my world is going to come to an end. ill work on what i can do for now without a new ecu upgrade and without a better turbo.

i just put in the new turbo inlet hose, didnt expect much of a difference. im sure ill feel a difference when i put the catless downpipe on, the spark plugs, and maybe the new gasket for the intake manifold?

im sure just getting the intake temps down and no cat will make a big difference. not much, but im sure a good 10 hp or so or more? idk

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 VW Jetta 2.0 MK3(R.I.P.), 1985 Golf 1.8 (sold), 2001 Passat Wagon 1.8T, 98 Jetta GLX VR6
      04-13-2012 10:54 AM #38
      If you just want more power just unplug your map sensor and pull the vac tube of the diverter valve from the turbo. boom 15 psi boost and with a new diverter valve its 20 psi.

James

4. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat
      04-13-2012 05:57 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Audiooutlaw View Post
      If you just want more power just unplug your map sensor and pull the vac tube of the diverter valve from the turbo. boom 15 psi boost and with a new diverter valve its 20 psi.

James
      AEB- Doesn't have a MAP sensor. Also... What?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8T Passat 1999
      04-16-2012 06:42 PM #40
      its funny you mention 15 lbs of boost b/c i am running 16,

20lbs of boost, im looking for safe power thanks. i mean yea if i want a new car ill do that. blow my motor and ill beat on the car constantly. there ya go ill just get a 240sx lol

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat 1.8alwaysloose
      04-17-2012 01:55 AM #41
      You wont blow your engine at 20 psi, but you also wont get it from a stock turbo. I have been running my K04-15 at 20 psi for a year, is pretty solid and not going to blow up.

For reference, ~25+psi spikes bend stock rods along with 300+HP
      Thanks to denial, my car is immortal!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8T Passat 1999
      04-19-2012 12:57 PM #42
      look ATM im not looking for 20 psi or a bigger turbo. let me do the turbo last. i dont feel like just slapping on a turbo without making proper preperations for it and have my car over heat the minute i boosting.

obviously i would see that on the gauge. but im just sayin i would rather be safe and get the prep work done that way if and when i do put a K03s or a K04 on it will be ready to handle that power and wont overheat.

question tho. which would be more important atm. coilovers? or getting things like the downpipe, spark plugs, intake manifold spacer, and intake cone done first?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat 1.8alwaysloose
      04-19-2012 01:50 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by vwcruzer710 View Post
      look ATM im not looking for 20 psi or a bigger turbo. let me do the turbo last. i dont feel like just slapping on a turbo without making proper preperations for it and have my car over heat the minute i boosting.

obviously i would see that on the gauge. but im just sayin i would rather be safe and get the prep work done that way if and when i do put a K03s or a K04 on it will be ready to handle that power and wont overheat.

question tho. which would be more important atm. coilovers? or getting things like the downpipe, spark plugs, intake manifold spacer, and intake cone done first?
      Do you want to go faster or turn faster? Apples and oranges.
      Thanks to denial, my car is immortal!

Vehicles
      99 Passat B5 1.8T (Sold), 02 Golf 2.0, 03 VR6 GTI
      04-19-2012 02:47 PM #44
      this

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8T Passat 1999
      04-20-2012 01:18 PM #45
      well considering how bad my struts and shocks are. found out last night. im going to get coils first

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8T Passat 1999
      04-26-2012 09:42 AM #46
      coilovers are now being shipped ! how low do you have to go before you need a camber kit. ive seen other threads on this saying not to go low b/c it messes up camber and then that becomes a project. is there any specs like that for the B5?

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn
      04-30-2012 11:13 AM #47
      OMG! Don't take this the wrong way, but do some research on these topics you keep asking about that have been already beaten to death. You want to upgrade to this or that without spending much, but your options are limited. You've been told many times now that your limiting factor in power increase is the stock turbo. You don't want to "slap on a new turbo without doing prep for it", but you don't mention where you'd like the car to be long term, short of 250 or so HP. You'll need to decide what you want the car to be, then plan accordingly. You'll have to research and probably contact local performance shops (obviously only VW/Audi shops) and get advice from them.

Before upgrading anything, I'd make sure everything else is up to date with maintenance. That goes for brakes, tires, trans, timing belt, etc. Coils are a good way to go, you'll probably need new suspension at some point (if not already) and since you are looking to improve some things, this is a good beginning point. I wouldn't go too low at first, just so you can make adjustments later on. And don't forget to retorque control arms at the new ride height.

Oh, and to make more power, the car will need to breathe better. That means more air going into the intake, and letting the exhaust breathe more freely. It sounds like you have most of the exhaust part covered.
      Last edited by nolesfan; 04-30-2012 at 11:17 AM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      B5.5, Range Rover Classic
      04-30-2012 10:19 PM #48
      Slam the thing to low and the rear starts to move forward, you and up with the wheels stuffing into the back seat and a huge gap behind the wheel. Looks pretty darm stupid imo. To low and you lose the suspensions engineering area. Doing this to a suspension then increasing the hp is asking for alot of trouble. I dont know why anyone would add hp then make the car handle worse.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8T Passat 1999
      05-02-2012 03:00 PM #49
      "nolesfan

OMG! Don't take this the wrong way, but do some research on these topics you keep asking about that have been already beaten to death. You want to upgrade to this or that without spending much, but your options are limited. You've been told many times now that your limiting factor in power increase is the stock turbo. You don't want to "slap on a new turbo without doing prep for it", but you don't mention where you'd like the car to be long term, short of 250 or so HP. You'll need to decide what you want the car to be, then plan accordingly. You'll have to research and probably contact local performance shops (obviously only VW/Audi shops) and get advice from them.

Before upgrading anything, I'd make sure everything else is up to date with maintenance. That goes for brakes, tires, trans, timing belt, etc. Coils are a good way to go, you'll probably need new suspension at some point (if not already) and since you are looking to improve some things, this is a good beginning point. I wouldn't go too low at first, just so you can make adjustments later on. And don't forget to retorque control arms at the new ride height.

Oh, and to make more power, the car will need to breathe better. That means more air going into the intake, and letting the exhaust breathe more freely. It sounds like you have most of the exhaust part covered."

Im getting everything you said covered. i dont plan on going too too low. anyway im following a plan as we speak. but the thing is the turbo might have blown now so i might be replacing it -__-... which is more money then i plan to spend... i need to figure out exactly whats wrong tho b/c my car is being funky. so i wanna focus on that before doing the
      side mount
      3"catless downpipe
      and another ecu upgrade.
      and i should get a high flow muff

but all that is going to be put aside to fix this problem.
      as for suspension, yes i just got my coils, will be putting them in after a week or two. after school is out. i might end up driving my car without fixing it for a week b/c im not hurting the car and nothing is wrong with the engine, only boost problems. and i might be leaking oil, if i maintain my oil and dont try and be in boost all the time my car is gonna be fine.

once summer hits im fixing the problem and getting all of the above. as well as a front sway bar to eliminate oversteer.

so that sound like i have a plan, and everything in order to you?
      if not please explain.

if you would like to expand on if i missed anything, and or should add anything. please do so. i am not exactly car "savy" most i have done is take out my airbox and took off my rims to pain em. i plan on doing most the work myself and or with a friend this summer hopefully ..

so like i said if theres anything to be added. please go ahead

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      05-02-2012 09:51 PM #50
      ...as well as a front sway bar to eliminate oversteer.
      Like many cars, these cars were designed with a large bias to understeer. This makes for a more predictable handling car for your average driver (grandmothers included). What you want to do is add more REAR anti-sway. This will reduce the propensity to understeer and give you a more neutrally handling car.

The most I have done is take out my airbox and took off my rims to paint em.
      Put your stock airbox back in.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8T Passat 1999
      05-02-2012 10:49 PM #51
      "Put your stock airbox back in."

i took it out and put it in same day, no worries. lol srry for the mis information

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12