Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Euro Switch Question?

1. Member
      04-04-2012 04:03 PM #1
      does anyone know if any of the unused pins on the euroswitch have power going to them?, I wanna use one of these pins, to send power to my foglights so that I dont need to have my fog lights on without having my low beams on, making them run independently.

Vehicles
      2001.5 VW Passat V6 FWD (RIP), 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6spd manual
      04-04-2012 04:29 PM #2
      not sure i follow your question... a euroswitch will already allow you to run fogs in conjuction with the parking lights. if you pull the drl relay, this eliminate the lows completely unless you turn them on with the switch.

are you looking to run fogs as drls without the parking lights on?
      God bless the homicidal maniacs... they make life worthwhile. - George Carlin

3. Member
      04-04-2012 04:57 PM #3
      for some reason on my car it wont, the front fog and the rear fogs will only go on if i have my low beams on, idk if i have an older model of the 1999 but it just doesnt let it happen. I read somewhere that u can just make a connection from the right side of the fuse to any open power and when you turn on ur fogs with the parking lights they will come on, I truthfully would want for either to have my fogs as drls, or just to have them on with parking lights. i just want them to run without the low beam.

4. Member
      04-04-2012 05:01 PM #4
      oh, and i just bent the 2 pins on the euroswitch to eliminate the drls, i dont like pulling relays.

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 11:39 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Hgarcia View Post
      oh, and i just bent the 2 pins on the euroswitch to eliminate the drls, i dont like pulling relays.
      in the future, i'd recommend simply taping over the pins. for this reason:

are you sure you bent the correct PIN? as far as i am aware, there is only ONE pin that needs to be taped over if you choose to leave the drl relay in place. according to this write-up, it's pin 56D.

if you managed to bend a pin that shouldn't have been, then hopefully you'll be able to bend it back without breaking it off. if you had chosen to just pull the relay, then all of this confusion would have been avoided.

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 12:52 PM #6
      not sure if this would be the solution to have your fogs on as drls, but if pin 56D is the correct pin for the drl function, then if you can find out which pin powers the fogs, you might be able to just jump the wire from the fog pin to the drl pin.

never heard of this being done, so i'm not sure if it would work, or if your fogs would be running at the lower output that the drls run at.

7. Member
      04-05-2012 08:17 PM #7
      well i bent them both because one removed drl's from being on by themselves, then the other for them to be off when parking lights are on. I dont know if doing that would help because, would that just be power conneced to nothing

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 08:57 PM #8
      well i bent them both because one removed drl's from being on by themselves, then the other for them to be off when parking lights are on. I dont know if doing that would help because, would that just be power conneced to nothing
      i don't think that's how it works with bending the pins... you only need to disable one pin to cut the drl functionality out of the equation. do yourself a favor, bend both pins back into place (if you're lucky, they don't break), then just pull the drl relay. you should be able to see it and reach it from the side of the upper dash where the fuse panel is. take the euroswitch out to give yourself more room, but you don't have to remove the lower dash panel. it takes about 5 minutes to do and you wouldn't be spending time wondering why your switch doesn't work properly after purposely damaging pins.

if you SERIOUSLY would prefer the method of bending pins, then bend them both back into their original place and just cover them with a piece of electrical tape.

once you have them bent back into place, i would try only taping the one pin that is given in my previous link.

if the pins break, then order a new euroswitch. they're not that expensive. and remember for the new one that you need to either tape them or pull the relay.

9. Member
      04-06-2012 01:48 AM #9
      that was also my source when i first bent them, as you can see one pin is for the off position, and the other is for the parking lights position.

10. Member
      04-06-2012 02:53 AM #10
      http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...ro-switch.html, i found this link and another one where they talk about it but basically its just running a wire from the foglight fuse to a power source, i figure id make it look nice and instead of splcing, just see if there are any unused pins on the back of the euroswitch i can just plug it into, making it look nice, and getting fogs their own power without the low beams.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 09:59 AM #11
      maybe you bent the right pins... maybe not. there's also a chance that the switch was unintentionally damaged in the process. again, this is why bending pins is a gamble. bend them back and make sure the full/stock functionality of the switch is good, then experiment with putting tape over the pins or just pull the relay.

don't make this harder than it really is by insisting on keeping those pins bent and looking for other solutions. how exactly is bending pins and running additional wires easier than just pulling the relay?

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 10:09 AM #12
      http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...ro-switch.html, i found this link and another one where they talk about it but basically its just running a wire from the foglight fuse to a power source, i figure id make it look nice and instead of splcing, just see if there are any unused pins on the back of the euroswitch i can just plug it into, making it look nice, and getting fogs their own power without the low beams.
      ok, i was assuming you had a b5.5 for some reason... if you're talking about a b5 like in your link, then your high beams run at a low output as fogs. since you'll be doing a small wiring mod, the best method would still be to just pull the drl relay, then run a jumper wire between your fog relay one of the positions where your drl relay was. you'll need to remove the lower dash panel in this case to get easier access to the relay board and install the jumper wire.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 10:23 AM #13
      looks like models from early '99 and older need some further wiring mods... maybe this will help you.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...-2nd-post.html

14. Member
      04-07-2012 01:34 AM #14
      that was the original link i was trying to find, to show you. but i just wanted to know if there were any pins in the euro switch that gave out power but had no wires attached, so that i may use that source of power instead of where the relay is.

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 10:49 AM #15
      not sure, but if I were you, I'd just follow the write-up... you're just making it harder than it has to be.

16. Member
      04-09-2012 11:09 AM #16
      yea i guess your right, id just really hate to pull out a relay, i could just aunbend the pins and hook it up to the Drls pins, after taking them out i think i saw something on how to take out the wires

17. Member
      04-26-2012 05:01 PM #17
      yeah i just saw it, the pin 8 to pin 3 switch, its just switching the wires, so that should be good for me