VWVortex

Thread: Rear Shock absorbers

Hybrid View

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      bagged A6 Avant 1.8T
      04-04-2012 05:48 PM #1
      Hey guys,

Just a quick question really. Im new to the Audi world so it might seem a little simple.

I have just fitted air ride suspension to my A6 avant and I now need new rear shock to handle the new low. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some that will be compatible with the lowness of the car?

Basically:

What are the best?
      Where can I find them?
      And do they sell just the rear shock absorbers?

Thanks
      Kevin

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      04-06-2012 04:24 PM #2
      Have a look at Bilsteins - either the B6 or B8 (can't remember which) is designed for a lower ride height than standard which ought to do what you want. They're about £150 a corner iirc.
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      bagged A6 Avant 1.8T
      04-07-2012 03:48 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
      Have a look at Bilsteins - either the B6 or B8 (can't remember which) is designed for a lower ride height than standard which ought to do what you want. They're about £150 a corner iirc.
      I think the B8's were the ones I was going to get but got some advice from a few people who said that they weren't the best idea because they aren't made to go as low as I am and would bottom out all the time. Are there any other options?

Vehicles
      04-07-2012 05:41 PM #4
      Ah ok. Tricky then...

Is it Quattro or FWD? I wonder if shocks from an ultra-low coilover set would work? A friend with a Quattro has Weitec and they go very low.

If you can't find anything that way it may be worth talking to the manufacturers to see if a custom unit can be made. Both Gaz and Spax are UK-based and are very helpful when it comes to custom stuff

Got any pics?
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

5. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      bagged A6 Avant 1.8T
      04-07-2012 05:57 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
      Ah ok. Tricky then...

Is it Quattro or FWD? I wonder if shocks from an ultra-low coilover set would work? A friend with a Quattro has Weitec and they go very low.

If you can't find anything that way it may be worth talking to the manufacturers to see if a custom unit can be made. Both Gaz and Spax are UK-based and are very helpful when it comes to custom stuff

Got any pics?
      Its the 1.8T front wheel drive on forgot to say. I was hoping for some bolt on one really but I might give GAZ and SPAx a phone then and see what they say. Thanks for the advice. Heres quick pic, its on air btw as well. I recogine with the shortened shocks it will be 10mm lowwer at the back at least and then some work on the front will even it up.

thats the best one I have so far

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 06:16 PM #6
      Thats pretty low!

At least with the FWD version you don't have to deal with a coilover setup