Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket HID's

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW JETTA TDI PKG 1, 2012 VW PASSAT TDI SEL
      04-04-2012 08:44 PM #1

Was browsing the forums the other night, and this one caught my eye. Click Here to go to the forum that this was originated in. I saw that someone posted that there will be Aftermarket HID's coming out soon for the 2012 Passat. They are suppose to be plug-n-play, supposedly will come with 1 year warranty, and price is suppose to be affordable. They do have the Halo affect/Angel eyes like the BMW's on the projectors. And supposedly they will be coming out soon, possibly next week. I don't know the seller, but just informing other people that were waiting for aftermarket lights like these. And when one company starts to make them, the rest also start to make more, and different kinds of lights like these.

Hope this helps anyone looking for something like this!

2. Member
      04-05-2012 01:46 PM #2
      where was that picture sourced from? looks like the depot stuff

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      04-05-2012 04:20 PM #3
      that looks great! I was hoping for a more oem look but if the price is good, I might bite on it.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)
      04-05-2012 08:52 PM #4
      They look pretty good...I'd love to do the Chinese option, but there seem to be problems. I saw these
      last night, too.

They're like if a BMW and Audi mated...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-06-2012 10:30 AM #5
      B7 HID Conversion Kit with LED light DRL

The one I'm having a hard time finding is the Rear LED Tail lights... If anyone has any links, I'de really appreciate it...
      Last edited by fiddypassat; 04-06-2012 at 10:33 AM.

6. Member
      04-06-2012 11:02 AM #6
      nice I emailed to ensure these exactly work with the us passat

Vehicles
      1990 VW Fox Wagon(SOLD), 1993 VW Jetta GL(SOLD), 2000 Audi S4(MINE), 2012 VW Passat TDI(MINE)
      04-07-2012 02:40 PM #7

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-07-2012 06:22 PM #8
      Hey do you have any idea where to find the rears?

9. Member
      04-07-2012 06:43 PM #9
      I have been talking to the guy who reps the company so far everything looks legit just waiting on some clarification about it actually being plug n play but, cost is about 800 for a set shipped to the states.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-07-2012 07:03 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Coolcrush View Post
      I have been talking to the guy who reps the company so far everything looks legit just waiting on some clarification about it actually being plug n play but, cost is about 800 for a set shipped to the states.
      NICE, Sounds like i'll be all over that as well, did he mention anything about the rears? I know this is like the 3rd time I've asked, but with the OEM's, the rears are just not cuttin it in my opinion because of the non functioning amber turn signal, and have not heard any clarification on if the reverse light is working on the OEM's either...

I kind of like these front ones better than the OEM's as well, because of the smoothness of the LED lines, whereas the OEM's are more jagged. The only thing I noticed is that at night, it will definitely look like an audi coming down the street rather than a veedub...
      Last edited by fiddypassat; 04-07-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW JETTA TDI PKG 1, 2012 VW PASSAT TDI SEL
      04-07-2012 07:15 PM #11
      Was just looking up more information on these headlights, and found a web site with more pictures and information on them. I especially liked the extra pictures toward the bottom of the site, which shows you exactly what the head light is, before you buy it. http://wplamps.en.alibaba.com/produc...headlight.html I quickly tried to see if they had anything for tail lights, but didn't find anything. I was looking quickly because I had to go, but maybe you will have luck finding something.
      Hope this helps everyone!

Vehicles
      2013 GTI 4 Dr DSG
      04-07-2012 09:56 PM #12
      Guys be patient, this is just the beginning of the aftermarket stuff for the B7. In no time different sets of headlights(including OEM replicas) will hit ebay and prices are going to drop fast.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 01 Audi Allroad, 2012 Passat TDI Highline, Sports pkg, Navi
      04-07-2012 10:13 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by fiddypassat View Post
      NICE, Sounds like i'll be all over that as well, did he mention anything about the rears? I know this is like the 3rd time I've asked, but with the OEM's, the rears are just not cuttin it in my opinion because of the non functioning amber turn signal, and have not heard any clarification on if the reverse light is working on the OEM's either...

I kind of like these front ones better than the OEM's as well, because of the smoothness of the LED lines, whereas the OEM's are more jagged. The only thing I noticed is that at night, it will definitely look like an audi coming down the street rather than a veedub...
      To clarify a little about the rears as I have them installed..

- amber turn signals are not " non functioning ", everything is there for them to work, just many North Americans don't particularly like amber turns, they could be wired to the side mirrors if one wanted

- NA stock lights have the turn signals on the outer lights, but I wired them to include the inner or trunk lights, has a very nice effect , really eye catching
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5v4O...lHnIjdzJxUYBM=

- the reverse lights work fine, it's just that the NA version of the car has the reverse lights on the inner or trunk lights, and the Chinese NMS Passat has them on the outer, so a simple rerun of wiring is required

- driver's side outer rear also has a European style fog light in it, so that's another option if you want to go with, Euro switch required of course

- rears have built in resistors that do not throw off any error codes ( even many basic led license plate bulbs do this )

In my opinion there should be more forum buzz on these rears as they are so much better in person than in pictures. They are much brighter than stock and I've noticed that drivers behind me immediately respond to them especially during lane changes, or merging, which is great and IMO an added safety advantage.

I think the rears are definitely "cuttin it"!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      04-08-2012 12:12 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium20V View Post
      Guys be patient, this is just the beginning of the aftermarket stuff for the B7. In no time different sets of headlights(including OEM replicas) will hit ebay and prices are going to drop fast.
      I sure hope so. I'm less keen on the aftermarket ones shown on this thread, but as soon as the oem like "double L" LED type are available without major modification, it's on.

15. Member
      04-08-2012 10:19 AM #15
      How soon aftermarket parts really hit the streets for the B7 remains to be seen, there are other models that are still lagging in aftermarket parts and they are years out. The focus has always been on gti/jetta so it will be interesting. I do not think prices for true headlight hid reps will drop dramatically for a few years if that. It took almost 6 years for hid reps to come out for the mk4 and by then most folks had sold there cars so in my mind it is simple you gotta pay to play end of story.

ill keep folks posted on other info that i get on the reps, my main concern is code throwing and true plug n play for the U.S Passats.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      04-08-2012 11:09 AM #16
      Well, one thing we have to our benefit is that the B7 is selling like hotcakes right now. That can be seen as a strong indicator for a robust aftermarket selection. With the financial and manufacturing base this car provides to the VW North American operations, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2013 editions launched with more compatible accessories too. Just wish they hurry up either way :-)

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-08-2012 12:06 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by percydobbin View Post
      To clarify a little about the rears as I have them installed..

- amber turn signals are not " non functioning ", everything is there for them to work, just many North Americans don't particularly like amber turns, they could be wired to the side mirrors if one wanted

- NA stock lights have the turn signals on the outer lights, but I wired them to include the inner or trunk lights, has a very nice effect , really eye catching
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5v4O...lHnIjdzJxUYBM=

- the reverse lights work fine, it's just that the NA version of the car has the reverse lights on the inner or trunk lights, and the Chinese NMS Passat has them on the outer, so a simple rerun of wiring is required

- driver's side outer rear also has a European style fog light in it, so that's another option if you want to go with, Euro switch required of course

- rears have built in resistors that do not throw off any error codes ( even many basic led license plate bulbs do this )

In my opinion there should be more forum buzz on these rears as they are so much better in person than in pictures. They are much brighter than stock and I've noticed that drivers behind me immediately respond to them especially during lane changes, or merging, which is great and IMO an added safety advantage.

I think the rears are definitely "cuttin it"!
      I truly do like the LED rears, I wasn't trying to down play them, maybe a bad choice of words on my part. I've been driving vw's since my first '79 rocco, went have always had amber turn signals, and have always expected them from a Euro car. A far as the reverse light, you are the first person I've even heard mention it, but it's definitely a must have. But as started before, I do really like the LED rears, and I do agree that the crisp brightness would be an added safety bonus. So where can you purchase these, and what are prices like?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

18. Member
      Vehicles
      04-08-2012 02:45 PM #18
      Hey Fiddypassat,

I'm with you, man. I don't think you should necessarily have to backtrack on what you said. The rear leds look great, but the level of modification necessary to enable all baseline functionality isn't there yet. Or at least hasn't been proved doable/documented.

Respectfully, I feel that it's at least a little bit rationalization for someone to say that NA owners prefer not to have amber turn signals, when it required more work to enable them. Not enabling them is the path of least resistance, and requires less sketchy (according to our warranty at least) and PITA re-wire work. Not to mention most NA cars to my knowledge (Including VW) still have amber turn signals.

In addition, you'd need to perform an apparently non trivial re-wire to swap inner with outer wires for proper reverse lights. A vital modification that I haven't seen anyone actually confirm doing!

For someone to call this out, they're certainly not intending to complain or put down the guys who trailblazed the modifications. But it's just a little too "bleeding edge" than many of us are comfortable with yet. AND I said before on another thread, I'd be willing to contribute to a pool of $$ to help subsidize such a fully featured documented mod. So I'm not just blabbing.
      Last edited by writeb; 04-08-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Fiddly >> Fiddy

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-08-2012 03:12 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by writeb View Post
      Hey Fiddypassat,

I'm with you, man. I don't think you should necessarily have to backtrack on what you said. The rear leds look great, but the level of modification necessary to enable all baseline functionality isn't there yet. Or at least hasn't been proved doable/documented.

Respectfully, I feel that it's at least a little bit rationalization for someone to say that NA owners prefer not to have amber turn signals, when it required more work to enable them. Not enabling them is the path of least resistance, and requires less sketchy (according to our warranty at least) and PITA re-wire work. Not to mention most NA cars to my knowledge (Including VW) still have amber turn signals.

In addition, you'd need to perform an apparently non trivial re-wire to swap inner with outer wires for proper reverse lights. A vital modification that I haven't seen anyone actually confirm doing!

For someone to call this out, they're certainly not intending to complain or put down the guys who trailblazed the modifications. But it's just a little too "bleeding edge" than many of us are comfortable with yet. AND I said before on another thread, I'd be willing to contribute to a pool of $$ to help subsidize such a fully featured documented mod. So I'm not just blabbing.
      I just didn't want to come across a not even liking them, as I honestly do like the look, just as far as functionality, amber turn signals, and reverse lights a must for me to even think about it. Thanks for backing me on that writeb...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

20. Member
      Vehicles
      04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 01 Audi Allroad, 2012 Passat TDI Highline, Sports pkg, Navi
      04-08-2012 05:34 PM #20
      Very well written and sensible responses above. I like reading well worded and thought out threads like these. It is a tough thing for non early adopters to take on for sure. I hope I gave a few answers. Wasn't so much trying to defend the lights as was wanting to show my love for them!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-10-2012 05:32 AM #21
      So any word back on the plug and playness???

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE 2.5
      04-12-2012 02:00 PM #22
      I saw that and the first thing that caught my eye is it states it's for the B5 / B6 / B7. This leads me to believe that they are plug and play for NON-US Passats as their headlight styles didn't change but the US B7 did. *shrug*
      2012 B7 Passat 2.5 SE w/ Sunroof
      Candy White on Titanium Black (Tuxedo style)

My Fuelly Results

Vehicles
      E30 M3, GTI Mk3, S4 B5, Passat B7
      04-13-2012 12:50 PM #23
      Apparently they are plug and play. Will need to do a Vag tweak.

Michael Zeng
      Oversea sales
      Win Power International Co.,LTD
      michael@wplamps.com
      www.wplamps.com
      MSN:autohidkit@live.cn

Here is the correspondence:

EMAIL 1:
      Thank you for your kind enquire on Alibaba for Passat headlights.
      The headlights is plug and play, with halogen, HID xenon bulb/built-in ballast, bifocal lens, turn signal light, Osram LED DRL.
      FOB Guangzhou price $598 per set.
      shipped by DHL to your door, delivery time 3-5 days.
      shipping cost:$190
      We accept T/T bank, Western Union, PayPal
      100% in advance.

EMAIL 2:
      Pls do not worry, the headlights fit well on American version of Passat, we already have customer in American now.
      There is one thing that should concern is the car computer model should be changed from halogen model to HID model before installed.
      So do not hesitate anymore, this headlights are good choice because they are really looks nice.

Looking forward to your kind reply!

Best Regards,

EMAIL 3:
      There need 5053 cable and the latest version of software, you may go to professional car converted stores, they can change the model, or we can send the cable and software(a CD) to you with the headlights, there need more $100.
      OK,if needed, i can send the contact information of one guy in US to you, he went to one shop to change the model of his car and then install the headlights.

Any question pls feel free to contact me!

24. 04-13-2012 01:01 PM #24
      The emails sure sounds like this (Asain accent):

Yeah Buddy you send me your money I send you shinny new headlight that will work. We have one guy in US who make it work. Good deal, you buy, you like. Send money.

LMAO. I would ask him to either send you the other person's information or a photo or even better send you a set at discount so you can be a beta tester and help him sell more.
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      04-13-2012 01:12 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimbeezy View Post
      OK,if needed, i can send the contact information of one guy in US to you, he went to one shop to change the model of his car and then install the headlights.

Any question pls feel free to contact me!
      did you ask for the info on the guy in the US? I'd love to see it installed with more pics.

Vehicles
      E30 M3, GTI Mk3, S4 B5, Passat B7
      04-13-2012 01:53 PM #26
      hahah....Yeah i thought the same thing. Waiting for US contact info so I can get some pics of his successful install.

27. Member
      04-13-2012 03:57 PM #27
      I think what is he trying to tell you is you need vagcom to activate bixenon option, probably just doesn't know the correct terminology as remember there main language is Chinese. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 04:04 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimbeezy View Post
      Pls do not worry, the headlights fit well on American version of Passat, we already have customer in American now.
      You should have replied, "Pics or I don't believe you!"

29. Member
      04-13-2012 04:11 PM #29
      FYI also this company has supplied many of the guys on Australian gti forums, look up on Google there is a lengthy thread on there. All of them have been pretty happy with there lights and they look pretty good.
      Here is the link: Start on page 1 as I believe wplamps is who supplies the aftermarket suppliers.
      http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread....en-cars/page25
      Last edited by Coolcrush; 04-13-2012 at 04:39 PM.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      04-13-2012 07:58 PM #30
      Yeah, 1k is a bit of an expensive experiment. You should negotiate a lower price with some promised photos of an install which would do wonders for his sales.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE 2.5
      04-23-2012 12:52 PM #31
      Any update on this?
      2012 B7 Passat 2.5 SE w/ Sunroof
      Candy White on Titanium Black (Tuxedo style)

My Fuelly Results

32. Member
      04-23-2012 03:23 PM #32
      Working on a new harness to match the headlight harness, will post up results hopefully this weekend.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 09:17 PM #33
      Working on a new harness to match the headlight harness, will post up results hopefully this weekend.
      Did you buy the headlights? I'd be interested to see them on a car...

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      05-04-2012 11:51 AM #34
      Any recent updates???

35. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 01:13 PM #35
      Seriously, inquiring minds want to know the status update!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast