Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Volt sales surge as car remains in the box

Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI
      04-05-2012 06:52 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

P.S. the government can not create sustainable jobs.
      Oh ****, what's going to happen to my job?

Airplanes and any regulations regarding them aren't covered in the constitution, better fire me and leave it up to the states.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      04-05-2012 07:12 AM #37
      I'll also point out that one of the arguments FOR Volt and EV tech is that at a certain gas price, it becomes extremely viable.

Sure the incentives and cheap leases help, but when gas is shooting up, they sell. When gas prices leveled for a bit and folks got used to the higher price, sales slowed. When gas shot back up and broke the latest mental barrier ($4) sales ballooned again.

This is EXACTLY what economists, politicians, and investors are talking about when they say "High gas prices change behaviors."

I'm glad out Gov't has invested in GM. I'm glad they've loaned GM the money to develop cutting edge technologies that are making GM, and by extension, the US, a world leader in EV transportation and the systems surrounding it. The Volt is cool, and I can't wait to see what GM gives us for Volt 2.0.

Vehicles
      2012 Chevy Volt, 2013 Acura RDX
      04-05-2012 07:20 AM #38
      I haven't posted here but a few months but I know I've stated this at least 5-6 times now. I do not blame people for taking advantage of the programs. I blame the programs.

I create sustainable jobs everyday - you should see the research and development facilities we fund on base. I'm certain the contractors and scientists we hire would consider their jobs "sustainable"......I certainly consider mine to be lol. Sure, our products don't generate dollars.....but they sure generate security.

I hate when people spout off these cookie cutter BS lines - I realize it's vogue to come off as a libertarian "independent" thinker these day, but everything the government is involved with does not automatically turn to sh*t (contrary to what you want to believe).

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-05-2012 08:24 AM #39
      I love the Volt. I hate the governments involvement.
      I will not buy the current generation of hybrid vehicle from any manufacturer. Although I don't agree with the governments involvement, this has nothing to do with my buying decision. Its the technology that doesn't make sense to me and my needs. With respect to the government's involvement, I don't believe its in the best interest of the country as a whole. There are many people and jobs that the bail-out saved, but that does not mean its the right thing for the country (micro vs macro). Time will tell, but I fear that we've started something that we can not stop. Well, we could, but no politician will. Where does it go if it doesn't stop?

For the record, my daily driver is a 1995 Chevy S-10 with 100,000+ miles. That truck will be mine for as long as it makes financial sense to keep it running... so please use some other tact instead of the overused "so and so hates anything made in America blah, blah, blah..."

pknopp, my comments are not aimed at you. I just decide to respond to your post
      Daily | Weekend | Project

Vehicles
      2002 Boxster S, 2004 A4 Avant 1.8T
      04-05-2012 08:29 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by jspirate View Post
      I will not buy the current generation of hybrid vehicle from any manufacturer. Although I don't agree with the governments involvement, this has nothing to do with my buying decision. Its the technology that doesn't make sense to me and my needs. With respect to the government's involvement, I don't believe its in the best interest of the country as a whole. There are many people and jobs that the bail-out saved, but that does not mean its the right thing for the country (micro vs macro). Time will tell, but I fear that we've started something that we can not stop. Well, we could, but no politician will. Where does it go if it doesn't stop?

For the record, my daily driver is a 1995 Chevy S-10 with 100,000+ miles. That truck will be mine for as long as it makes financial sense to keep it running... so please use some other tact instead of the overused "so and so hates anything made in America blah, blah, blah..."
      OK, so you're opposed to government support of automakers and won't buy a certain segment of cars in protest of this. Yet, you drive a car made by a company that is inextricably linked with and receives massive amounts of money from the government of its home country.

Help me understand: why boycott hybrids for using government money, then buy a VW in spite of the fact that VW uses government money?

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-05-2012 09:29 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Jader Pack View Post
      Help me understand: why boycott hybrids for using government money, then buy a VW in spite of the fact that VW uses government money?
      Maybe you should re-read my post. I am not boycotting anything. As I expected, you are trying really hard to place me in a box of your liking based on a paragraph I wrote.

I love my S-10 and I see no need to own a hybrid. Deal with it. Correction, deal with it better than calling me a boycotter?

BTW, I could care less if you want a hybrid. Have at it. In fact, buy 2. One for you and someone you love

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 10:38 AM #42
      Maybe you should re-read my post. I am not boycotting anything. As I expected, you are trying really hard to place me in a box of your liking based on a paragraph I wrote.

I love my S-10 and I see no need to own a hybrid. Deal with it. Correction, deal with it better than calling me a boycotter?
      Boy, I didn't know "boycotter" was an offensive term. Please accept my sincerest apologies for having shoe-horned you into that reprehensible category.

I'm trying to make sense of your comments in this thread. Your comments on page one, and your comment on page 2 that I quoted, seem to indicate that you have some sort of issue with GM having accepted money from the US government. I'm just wondering why that bothers you so much but VAG being in bed with the German government doesn't?

Is it a case of ignorance is bliss, is it a case of double standards, or am I wrong in reading that you don't agree with the GM bailout?

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-05-2012 11:13 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Jader Pack View Post
      Boy, I didn't know "boycotter" was an offensive term. Please accept my sincerest apologies for having shoe-horned you into that reprehensible category.

I'm trying to make sense of your comments in this thread. Your comments on page one, and your comment on page 2 that I quoted, seem to indicate that you have some sort of issue with GM having accepted money from the US government. I'm just wondering why that bothers you so much but VAG being in bed with the German government doesn't?

Is it a case of ignorance is bliss, is it a case of double standards, or am I wrong in reading that you don't agree with the GM bailout?
      Haha, its just money nothing else

The reason you don't understand is because I am not defined by the box that you want to fit me into. Keep researching and twisting until you get me in there. Then, YOU will have me in your defined box; only, I will be the same person that I was when the conversation started.

I apologize for what must have sounded like a challenge. It so easy to start such defensive forum conversations. I really should know better than to share my car opinions on a car forum

9. 04-05-2012 11:15 AM #44
      The Volt's only seems to be a pinata with the Faux News crowd. I for one don't quite understand the concept of rooting for America to fail - I have my theories though

Vehicles
      Mr2 and 951
      04-05-2012 11:20 AM #45
      bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhah ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong when cockerpunk is representing the voice of reason. Holy ****.

11. 04-05-2012 11:23 AM #46
      Citizen jobs, is more than likely what he meant.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

12. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      04-05-2012 11:33 AM #47
      oh, these threads are my favorite!

Even a little more with the tax credits people get for buying them. How much do you enjoy yours? I can't get anyone to allow me to use my portion.
      how are you liking your mortage interest deduction?
      ill help myself to the spare bedroom i own at your place

government = bad! (unless its something that directly benefits me... then governement = good!)

13. Member
      04-05-2012 11:46 AM #48
      Haha, its just money nothing else

The reason you don't understand is because I am not defined by the box that you want to fit me into. Keep researching and twisting until you get me in there. Then, YOU will have me in your defined box; only, I will be the same person that I was when the conversation started.

I apologize for what must have sounded like a challenge. It so easy to start such defensive forum conversations. I really should know better than to share my car opinions on a car forum
      No, he just wants you to explain your double standard reguarding GM vs. VAG.

14. 04-05-2012 11:52 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      Holy **** GUYS I JUST READ THIS ON CNN!!!!!!
      "The only Leaf I want around my Secret Services is the kind they all got prescription cards for".

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      04-05-2012 11:58 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by emkaytree View Post
      Citizen jobs, is more than likely what he meant.
      http://www.usaid.gov/careers/civfaq.html

3. Are non-citizens eligible for Federal employment?

Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals may compete for competitive jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only when there are no qualified citizens available. A non-citizen may only be given an excepted appointment and may not be promoted or reassigned to another position in the competitive service, except in situations where a qualified citizen is not available. The non-citizen may be hired only if permitted by the appropriations act and immigration law.

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-05-2012 12:44 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by EGSEDAN View Post
      No, he just wants you to explain your double standard reguarding GM vs. VAG.
      I own a GM and VAG That was clearly stated before.

As I said, I have no need for a hybrid. I base my purchases on what my needs and wants are. Where is my double standard? Does it come from the 100 words or so that he has read. Can he figure out what I need and want from these 100 words better than I can? That is a very scary concept.

I am guessing he thinks can figure out better than I can, whether or not a hybrid vehicle is right for me?

As for the government's involvement with the two... yeah its the same

Peace out... we have wasted enough electrons on this topic.

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-05-2012 12:59 PM #52
      In all honesty, I really have a really hard time believing that the Volt is a political pinata worth making fun of and putting down at every opportunity -- I'm not saying it's not true that it's happening, just that I personally have a hard time believing it myself. The idea of even doing that with such a great little car is just stupid on a level I cannot comprehend, and just trying to comprehend it makes me feel like I'm actually becoming dumber.

I live in an extremely politically conservative part of Houston, and new Volts with paper plates can be seen all over the place. They've become especially common since gas prices started to spike a month or so ago. They're also far more popular here than the Prius (which itself was quite popular).

I suppose some of that could be chalked up directly to the fact where I live is populated almost entirely by highly educated [yet still conservative!] people who work for NASA or the various aerospace subcontractors, so they see and understand the merits of the technology and ignore the bull**** and the negativity.

I personally have never heard a single person trash the Volt. Ever. What is there for a rational person to not like about it?

Last edited by xerodustrial; 04-05-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 1992 Golf 2 door
      04-05-2012 01:11 PM #53
      tdi
      FS - OZ M-191 Center Cap - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post77384355
      Diesel Dub Club #38 || Euro Style || MK2 Militia ||

04-05-2012 01:12 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      You fail at funny.
      i thought it was hilarious

and the $299 lease special was a brilliant move on the part of gm. theyre losing sales to stupid bs in the media and a big hit to public perception. price it cheap, move product off the lot and let the rave reviews pour in. overcome media bias by saturating the market and making real world testimony a commonplace. genius.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-05-2012 01:13 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIDamien_407 View Post
      tdi
      PUT HIM IN THE BOX! Quickly, put him in the box!!!

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      04-05-2012 01:22 PM #56
      tdi
      Assuming you mistakenly hit the key next to "R", yes "R"s, "D"s and "I"s are all political factions that have people with opinions of the Volt.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      04-05-2012 01:33 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by xerodustrial View Post
      In all honesty, I really have a really hard time believing that the Volt is a political pinata worth making fun of and putting down at every opportunity -- I'm not saying it's not true that it's happening, just that I personally have a hard time believing it myself. The idea of even doing that with such a great little car is just stupid on a level I cannot comprehend, and just trying to comprehend it makes me feel like I'm actually becoming dumber.

I live in an extremely politically conservative part of Houston, and new Volts with paper plates can be seen all over the place. They've become especially common since gas prices started to spike a month or so ago. They're also far more popular here than the Prius (which itself was quite popular).

I suppose some of that could be chalked up directly to the fact where I live is populated almost entirely by highly educated [yet still conservative!] people who work for NASA or the various aerospace subcontractors, so they see and understand the merits of the technology and ignore the bull**** and the negativity.

I personally have never heard a single person trash the Volt. Ever. What is there for a rational person to not like about it?

It was clearly the right-wing chain email of the week when the temporary layoffs happened. Unfortunately, there is a segment of our population that will happily parrot any story or spin they can if they feel they've found a "Gotcha!" for the current President. It's partisen hackery, the Left engaged in it before, the Right is engaging in it now. Cyclical, sad, and equally useless.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=35791914

I agree, it's sad to see folks cheering for the failure of an all-american product. Thankfully, this is a level of partisanship that seems crazy-loud online, but far less so in real life.... much like any political issue.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      04-05-2012 01:38 PM #58
      tdi
      Still uses liquid fuel all the time.

This is starting to get like TV forums when the Plasma screens came out. "They're too expensive and my projector screen is bigger and shows TV pictures just fine!" Fast forward a few years and now it's plasma vs LED...

For cars, EVs and plug in hybrids are the next new tech and are expensive and have limitations right now. That'll change as more and more people adopt them.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

24. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '69 VW Fastback and an '08 Fit
      04-05-2012 01:46 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Still uses liquid fuel all the time.

This is starting to get like TV forums when the Plasma screens came out. "They're too expensive and my projector screen is bigger and shows TV pictures just fine!" Fast forward a few years and now it's plasma vs LED...
      Good analogy. I don't think that batteries will get cheap enough that they'll drop as fast as consumer electronics*, but the point is absolutely valid.

*I don't think you do, either.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      04-05-2012 01:57 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Good analogy. I don't think that batteries will get cheap enough that they'll drop as fast as consumer electronics*, but the point is absolutely valid.

True, But I could see a car that originally cost about $40k coming down to the upper $20s to low $30s in the near future as the tech becomes more ubiquitous. Cars themselves are still getting more expensive so I don't see a well equipped EV getting cheaper than a well equipped gasser or diesel.

And I can't wait to see what modern hot rodders do to them as they hit the used market (like the guys at PlasmaBoy Racing do... modified motors, charge controllers and juice dump circuitry for bursts of speed or drag racing platforms)
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

26. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 02:05 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by xerodustrial View Post
      In all honesty, I really have a really hard time believing that the Volt is a political pinata worth making fun of and putting down at every opportunity -- I'm not saying it's not true that it's happening, just that I personally have a hard time believing it myself.
      i agree with you.

but its a shame that an entire news organization has decided that you and i are wrong.

04-05-2012 02:42 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post

you should see the kind of money that is being dumped into electrical storage right now, i would be very very surprised if there wasnt some kind of huge breakthrough in the next couple decades.

meanwhile lithium ion batteries are getting cheaper and more powerful verryy quickly. ive got a macbook air from 2 years ago and new i was lucky to get 3.5hrs out of it. now its up to 7 hours for the same model.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

28. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 03:49 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      meanwhile lithium ion batteries are getting cheaper and more powerful verryy quickly. ive got a macbook air from 2 years ago and new i was lucky to get 3.5hrs out of it. now its up to 7 hours for the same model.
      a lot of that has to do with the efficiency of the newer processors as well though.
      but, i think your point still stands

29. 04-05-2012 04:52 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by rbloedow View Post
      I create sustainable jobs everyday - you should see the research and development facilities we fund on base. I'm certain the contractors and scientists we hire would consider their jobs "sustainable"......I certainly consider mine to be lol. Sure, our products don't generate dollars.....but they sure generate security.
      So they are unsustainable on their own.

I hate when people spout off these cookie cutter BS lines - I realize it's vogue to come off as a libertarian "independent" thinker these day, but everything the government is involved with does not automatically turn to sh*t (contrary to what you want to believe).
      I never claimed that. You should refrain from these type of cookie cutter BS lines.

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 1992 Golf 2 door
      04-05-2012 05:23 PM #65
      The battery's still have to be disposed of eventually which do alot of harm to the environment. So I still sand with my opinion TDI > all, pour some biodiesel in and everyones happy.
      FS - OZ M-191 Center Cap - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post77384355
      Diesel Dub Club #38 || Euro Style || MK2 Militia ||

31. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Volvo 940 Wagon
      04-05-2012 05:38 PM #66
      Hilarious to me that the far-right leaning segments of this country want to paint a picture of the Volt as the end-result failure of government investment in GM while simultaneously defending, tooth and nail, things like the oil company tax subsidies which are, at their root, essentially the same thing:

Government revenue loss in the name of supporting corporations. Pick and choose, pick and choose...
      Quote Originally Posted by Mach700 View Post
      In the absence of Wars, people become lazy and sex slaves (not everybody).

Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee, '04 Mazda 3
      04-05-2012 05:42 PM #67
      The battery's still have to be disposed of eventually which do alot of harm to the environment. So I still sand with my opinion TDI > all, pour some biodiesel in and everyones happy.
      You are aware that the batteries are recycled, yes?

33. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      04-05-2012 05:47 PM #68
      * Citation needed.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      PRJCT.:R Chronicles l What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

34. 04-05-2012 07:59 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction View Post
      Hilarious to me that the far-right leaning segments of this country want to paint a picture of the Volt as the end-result failure of government investment in GM while simultaneously defending, tooth and nail, things like the oil company tax subsidies which are, at their root, essentially the same thing:

Government revenue loss in the name of supporting corporations. Pick and choose, pick and choose...
      Generalize much?

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 08:29 PM #70
      I own a GM and VAG That was clearly stated before.
      Yet you only have vitriolic words to post in this thread for GM, even though both GM and VW have accepted large sums of government money.

As for the government's involvement with the two... yeah its the same
      It is the same. Since you think otherwise, perhaps you could explain the difference?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast