Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April 17 - Shuttle Discovery to land at Dulles

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      04-05-2012 09:22 AM #1
      Heads up to anyone in the area. Discovery is slotted to land at Dulles on the 17th, weather permitting. General public is suggested that the best place to watch is from their parking lot.

04-05-2012 09:47 AM #2
      T-38s will be scouting routes through the ADIZ today

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...4HxS_blog.html
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 10:14 AM #3
      Heard about that on the radio, didn't know it was related.

So while being there on the 17th would be sweet, sounds like the 19th is the day to go.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-05-2012 06:32 PM #4
      Thought this was cool. One of the last photos ever taken of a powered Shuttle flight deck:

PHOTO: Flight Deck of Space Shuttle Endeavour, fully powered for one of the final times: launchphotography.com/Endeavour_Flig…
      Ben Cooper, @LaunchPhoto on Twitter.
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

5. 04-05-2012 06:43 PM #5
      Going to the Air and Space Museum?
      Somewhere, in an alternate universe, Jennifer Lawson is masturbating to your leaked internet photos.

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 07:14 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dubraycer36 View Post
      Going to the Air and Space Museum?
      Yup. And the Enterprise is going to New York to the Intrepid.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      that really comes down to a safety issue too. i mean if you do ANY kind of development, even the most basic stuff, you should at least be closed toe shoe.
      Quote Originally Posted by z0d
      You can't drop a SQL table on your foot.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-05-2012 07:14 PM #7
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

Vehicles
      2010 Forester
      04-05-2012 10:55 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Heads up to anyone in the area. Discovery is slotted to land at Dulles on the 17th, weather permitting. General public is suggested that the best place to watch is from their parking lot.

I'm live near the south end of the airport. Will post pics if I can get to a good spot in time.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick
      "Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis!" - me
      "I'm an engineer - impossible just takes a little longer." - some guy on the interwebnetz

04-06-2012 09:41 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Yup. And the Enterprise is going to New York to the Intrepid.
      Where is it going to go on the Intrepid? I'd hate to see it sit outside and rot like they're letting that Concorde

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-06-2012 10:19 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Where is it going to go on the Intrepid? I'd hate to see it sit outside and rot like they're letting that Concorde
      Yeah, God forbid they put one in the USAF Museum.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 12:37 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      I'm not sure they know.

I found this:

"A conceptual rendering of how Space Shuttle Enterprise will be displayed on Intrepid’s flight deck, beginning Summer 2012."

And:

"This is just one possible design concept for a new multi-faceted, state-of-the-art exhibition center that will tell the story of our Space Shuttle program, and feature the Space Shuttle Enterprise (OV-101) as its centerpiece."
      that really comes down to a safety issue too. i mean if you do ANY kind of development, even the most basic stuff, you should at least be closed toe shoe.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-06-2012 01:06 PM #12
      You guys don't even wanna know the story with Intrepid and Enterprise.

It's too depressing.

Bottom line: they're supposed to build something to cover & house it, but they are way, way behind in the planning and fund-raising so they're going to keep it somewhere else for a while (JFK? Laguardia? Can't remember...) and then move it when the facility is ready.

Problem is, one of the conditions of them getting it in the first place was that they have the facility ready to go... And it looks like Intrepid knew this all along... So a lot of people (Houston, mainly) are crying foul.

13. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      04-06-2012 01:52 PM #13
      Right now I am planning on watching it from the Udvar-Hazy parking lot since are going to have that open for folks. It's going to do a flyby of Dulles before it lands and the plan was to try to get DHS to approve a flyby/around of the Capitol. DHS is pitching fits about that however, but NASM is trying hard to get them to allow it.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-06-2012 03:42 PM #14
      By the way, not that anyone reading this forum who would happen to be nearby would need the encouragement, but just in case...

If you have the chance to see this, either the Mall flyover or its arrival at Dulles, DO IT. It is a spectacular sight. Unfortunately, it'll be the last time (save one more flight for Endeavour to LA in the Fall) that anyone will ever see it.

After Discovery's post-Challenger flight in 1988, the SCA ferrying it back from Edwards flew straight up A1A into KSC at about 1000 ft AGL. I was at a party at a friend's house in Cocoa Beach, and everyone went outside to watch -- we were all just slack-jawed. It remains one of the most amazing things I saw while working there, and I saw a lot of cool stuff.

04-06-2012 07:47 PM #15
      Won't be able to make it up there to see it, but luckily got to see a shuttle-laden SCA on short final from my 6th grade school playground. Not sure why they were landing at WPAFB but it was cool to see. This would have been 1988 or so.

Vehicles
      '04 AllRoad / '09 Expedition
      04-07-2012 05:46 PM #16
      Might have to make that flight deck photo my work background for a while.
      2 Hooker Limit...

ERAU - Class of ~2020

17. 04-07-2012 06:01 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by -mlfhntr- View Post
      Might have to make that flight deck photo my work background for a while.
      Already on my home PC.
      Somewhere, in an alternate universe, Jennifer Lawson is masturbating to your leaked internet photos.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-07-2012 07:18 PM #18
      For Florida peeps, fly-out plans. Looks like they will depart on the 17th @ 7am to the south, do a 180 somewhere around PAFB and then make a slow pass over the beaches and KSC, before heading out out to Dulles:

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...nclick_check=1

And some more flight deck pics:

http://www.businessinsider.com/one-l...forever-2012-4

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta SE w/ conv.
      04-10-2012 05:02 PM #19
      Hope to make it to the AS Museum once its there. Any idea when they will have it on display for the public?

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-10-2012 10:03 PM #20

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-12-2012 05:00 PM #21
      http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/pressr...?releaseID=289

Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum and NASA Announce Places to "Spot the Shuttle"

The Space Shuttle Discovery, expected to arrive in the skies over the Washington area Tuesday, April 17, will be a sight people do not see every day. The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum, which will receive the historic orbiter from NASA in a ceremony April 19, is encouraging people to look skyward to witness the sight. Together with NASA, the museum is promoting a “Spot the Shuttle” campaign.

Discovery, atop a Boeing 747 modified as a Shuttle Carrier, will leave Kennedy Space Center around dawn and will likely arrive in the Washington area between 10 and 11 a.m. According to NASA, the aircraft is expected to fly near several landmarks in the metropolitan area, including the National Mall, Reagan National Airport, National Harbor and the museum’s Udvar-Hazy Center, Discovery’s future home. The exact route and timing of the flight, which is being coordinated in cooperation with the Federal Aviation Administration, will depend on weather and operational constraints.

Some publicly accessible locations where people may be able to “Spot the Shuttle” are listed below.

District of Columbia

The National Mall, including Memorial Bridge, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument and the east end
      Hains Point at East Potomac Park, south of the Jefferson Memorial and the 14th Street Bridge
      The Southwest Waterfront Park
      Virginia

Long Bridge Park, located at 475 Long Bridge Dr. in Arlington
      Old Town Alexandria waterfront
      Gravelly Point, just off the George Washington Parkway, near National Airport
      In Maryland

National Harbor, just off the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in Prince George’s County, Md. Follow Beltway exits
      For a close-up view as the carrier approaches Dulles Airport, the museum suggests shuttle spotters gather at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center parking lot. The lot will open at 8 a.m.; there is a $15 parking charge. McDonald’s will be open for breakfast, pastries and coffee; people may also bring their own breakfast.

Individuals who spot the shuttle while driving are encouraged to pay close attention to safety. In cooperation with AAA, the museum is offering Safe Driving Tips for Spotting the Shuttle, which can be found on its website.

For information about Discovery events at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, including the transfer ceremony and Welcome Discovery, a four-day festival of space-related activities presented by the museum in cooperation with NASA, visit http://discovery.si.edu.

To learn more about Spot the Shuttle, including social media opportunities for sharing photos, videos and impressions, visit http://discovery.si.edu/spottheshuttle.

The museum has established telephone hotlines to get current information on the shuttle as it travels from Florida to the Washington area. In Washington, D.C., call (202) 633-9100. In Virginia, call (703) 572-4100. Note: The hotlines will not be live until April 17.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Miata, Bike, Bike, Bicycle.
      04-13-2012 06:15 PM #22
      Here's a list of suggested viewpoints for the flyover: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...0qCT_blog.html

I'll be trying to get roof access somewhere downtown.
      everything is a bottle opener if you're savvy enough -- Chapel
      I ♥ snap oversteer

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-13-2012 06:28 PM #23
      Some really great hi-res decomissioning photos here, including this one of Lord Stanley's Cup on the flight deck:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...uttles/100271/

24. 04-14-2012 02:42 PM #24
      I might be flying a Redstrip plane in to IAD on the 17th! How cool would that be to watch the shuttle land!

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-15-2012 11:55 AM #25
      Nice video of the tow operation, sling mating, and initial lift at the Mate/Demate Device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-mY_Sdmo7U

Space Shuttle Discovery was rolled out of Kennedy's Vehicle Assembly Building in the early morning hours of April 14 for its final journey to the center's Shuttle Landing Facility Mate/Demate device. Next, Discovery will be lifted and placed atop the SCA in preparation for its ride to Washington Dulles International Airport on April 17.

Discovery is set to depart just after sunrise and arrive in the Washington, D.C. area around 10 a.m. After arriving at Dulles, Discovery will be moved on April 19 to the nearby Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center for permanent public display.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-15-2012 12:06 PM #26

Vehicles
      '12 Honda Pilot EX-L, '11 Kia Optima LX
      04-15-2012 05:45 PM #27
      Is this still on, nephew and I may make the trip?
      My flickr
      "The best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it." - Harry S. Truman

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Exocet Race and 2012 GT500 (and?)
      04-15-2012 09:19 PM #28
      i'll be on the roof of one of the buildings at nat'l harbour when she comes in. I hope I remember to be anyways lol

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-16-2012 12:45 AM #29
      Great HD video of the lift & mate operations today --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJoppJHl8sA

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-16-2012 08:31 AM #30
      Last night & this morning.

Photo source: @RobertPearlman (collectSPACE.com), @Astronut099 on Twitter.
      Last edited by dubfan; 04-16-2012 at 08:36 AM.

04-16-2012 09:17 AM #31
      ^^^

Awesome pics. Sad I won't be in the DC area to catch it.

I really like that the shuttle is still all scarred up and dirty. I hope they all stay that way.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      04-16-2012 03:46 PM #32
      I wish I could get out to Dulles tomorrow with my boys, they would absolutely love to see this come in. I used to work literally 5 minutes up the road from Dulles. Not going to be able to get off work/boys out of school though
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      04-16-2012 04:14 PM #33
      From astronaut Nicole Stott (@Astro_Nicole):

Vehicles
      04-16-2012 04:49 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post

I really like that the shuttle is still all scarred up and dirty. I hope they all stay that way.
      Same. Really enhances its historical role.

Vehicles
      335d, Passat4Motion Wagon, A4 Avant
      04-16-2012 09:34 PM #35
      I am taking off tomorrow. Still undecided on where to go to watch... Anybody going to the A&P museum parking lot at Dulles? Wonder if I can camp out at the end of runway 1R (outside the fence)...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast