Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rebuilt 1.6na engine rough idle, stalling out, and no power

1. Member
      Vehicles
      81 VW Diesel caddy, 86 VW Cabriolet
      04-05-2012 12:55 PM #1
      I got my engine to start about 3 months ago but was having trouble keeping it idling and it was rough idling and would stall out if not giving any pedal after awhile. It was rebuilt top to bottom. Now i have changed out injectors with another set i had on the engine when it was running a month prior to rebuild just fine and same issues. Change my rebuilt pump from about 2 years ago which was working fine a month prior to rebuild (only was off for a month and a half and stored with diesel) with 2 other used pumps i have on hand which were running pumps but were not stored properly as they leaked and were there for cores or rebuild. Same exact issue persist through all three ip. to rule out the tank and filter i ran off a bottle of diesel right to the pump with same issue still persisting. The truck smokes white smoke as it seems to be getting to much air and not enough fuel. I have turned the fuel up on the pump and have gotten the idle to smooth out and the white smoke to go away at idle but when hitting the pedal it does not want to go back to idle which i guess is from the injectors getting loaded up with to much fuel. when set to stock setting for fuel it takes for ever to start. With fuel turned up it cranks right over with out much help from glow plugs and idles really nice as long as you dont hit the pedal and cause it to run on.

The only gasket i have not replaced was my intake gasket as it got misplaced and i am going to replace that gasket this week just to rule it out being an issue.

My mechanic think the injection pump is bad as the engine does fire on all cylinders as long as its getting fuel.

Wanted to get some opinions from others who may have more experience in this. I hate to shell out the cash to find out the ip wasnt the issue.

Any ideas would be great and if you need any clarification on what i described dont hesitate to ask. i am writing this rather quick as i am in one of my IT classes.

2. Junior Member
      Home of the Kansa, People of the south wind.
      Vehicles
      2 81 Caddy's, 82 4 dr, 82 2 dr, 83 conv.
      04-05-2012 03:49 PM #2
      You don't mention in the post how you set the timing. The last one I got running had the wrong flywheel and it couldn't get the timing set right and the symptoms sound very similar. I'd double check that. If the timing is right, the compression is adequate, and the injection is adequate and finely sprayed, they pretty much have to run.

3. Junior Member
      Home of the Kansa, People of the south wind.
      Vehicles
      2 81 Caddy's, 82 4 dr, 82 2 dr, 83 conv.
      04-05-2012 03:51 PM #3
      I think that could be a partial factor also. They put those gaskets in for a reason.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 08:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by flyawa View Post
      You don't mention in the post how you set the timing. The last one I got running had the wrong flywheel and it couldn't get the timing set right and the symptoms sound very similar. I'd double check that. If the timing is right, the compression is adequate, and the injection is adequate and finely sprayed, they pretty much have to run.
      it is the same flywheel that was on the engine prior to rebuild. actually pressure plate clutch and flywheel are the same. I did have my mechanic check my timing as it was my first time doing it and he said i wasnt off enough for it to run this poorly.

But i will check that as it is an interesting thing.

thanks for you help man.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 08:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by flyawa View Post
      I think that could be a partial factor also. They put those gaskets in for a reason.
      Yeah i hope it is. thanks for the help

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      04-05-2012 08:51 PM #6
      What is the timing of the injection pump actually set to?
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-06-2012 11:20 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      What is the timing of the injection pump actually set to?
      its set right. I have it lined up the way my mechanic told me it need to be. Just to make sure it was right i did turn the pump a whole 180 deg to the other hole just to make sure and it misses and hiccups and stalls right out. so i am pretty sure i have got the right position. as far as being slightly advance or slightly rich don't know but i have twisted the pump either direction with not much change.

Vehicles
      90 2.0 20V Corrado, 07 Gti, 92/96/99 Jeep XJ, 72 Schwinn Stingray
      04-06-2012 04:14 PM #8
      81dzlcaddy, check out http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/ Nothing against the tex, but there are WAY more people dedicated to the idi engines we have and much more information available there. I really have no good info, and don't want to sound like a know it all.
      Last edited by coatofarms; 04-06-2012 at 04:20 PM.
      DIY: O2M/O2Q OEM+ Short Throw http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6#post79056376
      My Corrado Build: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-1990-0007-G60 Now on Megasquirt3 Pro+E85
      Insta-Cram: glater91

9. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-06-2012 09:05 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 81dzlcaddy View Post
      I got my engine to start about 3 months ago but was having trouble keeping it idling and it was rough idling and would stall out if not giving any pedal after awhile. It was rebuilt top to bottom. Now i have changed out injectors with another set i had on the engine when it was running a month prior to rebuild just fine and same issues. Change my rebuilt pump from about 2 years ago which was working fine a month prior to rebuild (only was off for a month and a half and stored with diesel) with 2 other used pumps i have on hand which were running pumps but were not stored properly as they leaked and were there for cores or rebuild. Same exact issue persist through all three ip. to rule out the tank and filter i ran off a bottle of diesel right to the pump with same issue still persisting. The truck smokes white smoke as it seems to be getting to much air and not enough fuel. I have turned the fuel up on the pump and have gotten the idle to smooth out and the white smoke to go away at idle but when hitting the pedal it does not want to go back to idle which i guess is from the injectors getting loaded up with to much fuel. when set to stock setting for fuel it takes for ever to start. With fuel turned up it cranks right over with out much help from glow plugs and idles really nice as long as you dont hit the pedal and cause it to run on.

The only gasket i have not replaced was my intake gasket as it got misplaced and i am going to replace that gasket this week just to rule it out being an issue.

My mechanic think the injection pump is bad as the engine does fire on all cylinders as long as its getting fuel.

Wanted to get some opinions from others who may have more experience in this. I hate to shell out the cash to find out the ip wasnt the issue.

Any ideas would be great and if you need any clarification on what i described dont hesitate to ask. i am writing this rather quick as i am in one of my IT classes.
      well, being that you have the same problem on all 3 pumps, im going to venture a guess that its not pump related..

im gonna say its an air leak in the fuel system, or you are trying to time the pump improperly.

or the injectors are soo wasted the engine cant run right..

white smoke is usually retarded timing. low power is usually retarded timing. and its considerably easier to stall the engine with retarded timing..

what timing method are you using to set the pump? you have a dial indicator and adapter, right?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-06-2012 09:07 PM #10
      and the intake gasket has nothing to do with any of your issues..

because:

these engines will run with NO INTAKE OR EXHAUST MANIFOLDS on the engine!

im really thinking its timing, or injector related. if it was pump related, it would have changed symptoms with the different pumps.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      04-09-2012 02:20 PM #11
      My uncle has done timing for me with no tools and it ran just fine just a little off before engine rebuild. I am using timing tools with out the dial indicator as that is more of just a refining than actually getting it to run. I have timed the engine and then taken the truck to my mechanic who has all the proper tools to do the time and has done it once before and he set it exactly with same problem. He also told me i was not off enough for it to run as poorly as it is.

I have ruled out the fuel system by running it off of a canister of diesel straight in to the pump. Fuel filter was changed.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      04-09-2012 02:44 PM #12
      maybe your pump is just worn out then.. or your injectors are worn out.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      04-10-2012 01:20 PM #13
      yeah its on the list for whats next. Unfortunatly money is just not there to do right now