Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How To Make A Good Backstop?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      04-05-2012 03:33 PM #1
      Hi,

I'm going to be shooting on an open flat field. Although there is nothing past the target area for over a mile, I know the importance of a backstop anyways for safety and legal reasons.

Normally I've been able to use large dirt or gravel mounds for backstops, but I won't have this option here. Additionally, I don't have any plate or sheet steel available.

I DO have lots of cedar logs on site, 10" diameter, 8 feet long. I can build a retaining-type wall with them to serve as a backstop.

How thick should it reasonably be in order to be "more than sufficiently safe"?

I'm shooting .22lr at 400 yards. I know at point blank range a .22 will penetrate completely through one log. I know the .22's velocity at 400 yards is much less than point blank, so...is a backstop two logs thick sufficient?

What say you?

2. 04-05-2012 04:45 PM #2
      At 400 yards, any reasonable piece of wood will stop a .22LR. Really a heavy dirt or gravel berm is best...or stacked wood, with sandbags behind it - or, even tires with sandbags...

3. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      04-05-2012 06:08 PM #3
      Use the logs to make a backstop and then pile dirt or sand in front of the logs. Rent a small earthmover like a Bobcat and it will make the job easier.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      04-05-2012 07:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      Use the logs to make a backstop and then pile dirt or sand in front of the logs. Rent a small earthmover like a Bobcat and it will make the job easier.

obin
      Wish I could, but I'm not permitted to dig up the soil on this property, nor drive large equipment on the land. So I'm limited to what I can walk in or drive in on an ATV.

5. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      04-05-2012 07:20 PM #5
      Hmm. Okay. I'd go with sand bags and cedar logs. Sand bags are cheap and they make an EXCELLENT bullet stopper. Make the backstop like a letter "U" or "V" and you will stand a much lesser chance of an errant bullet skipping away.

Sand bags are only about $2 each in bulk and they last a really long time. You should be able to fill them with sand or dirt from a local place. Worst case you could move them in a few at a time using a 4-wheeler.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

6. 04-05-2012 07:30 PM #6
      Or look for a piece of land with a natural backstop...maybe shoot inside of a creek bed or something.

Vehicles
      03 Passat Wagon
      04-06-2012 04:25 PM #7
      youve got a few options if it has to be something light weight (relatively) and cant be permanent.

the first wouldnt be suitable for extended centerfire use unless you used very thick AR500 plate but would be fine with handgun and 22. its a simple angled plate type bullet stop that deflects the bullets down into the ground. they can be made to whatever size you want and are very portable if you dont make it too big.

http://www.reloadammo.com/backstop.htm

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23551

the other type of stop is a made by lining a large wooden box or 55 gal drum with epdm rubber and then filling it with sand (the rubber is to keep the sand from rushing back out the bullet holes and is more durable than you might think) I cant find a link to a bould thread for one right now, but they are out there

the last one i can thin of is a trap that uses electrician putty (aka monkey ****, duct seal) it is a VERY dense clay like putty that come in blocks and buckets. most people make a shallow frame (4-6" deep) by however wide they want it. the put a thin steel plate inside for a "just in case" liner if a bullet makes it through the putty and then fill in the frame with the putty. the main downside to this is the expense and the weight. the putty is super heavy and it takes a lot. its biggest plus it its almost totally silent when the bullet hits. these are most popular for people that want to plink silentley in their basement or backyard with suppressed handguns and 22's.

Vehicles
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      04-08-2012 10:16 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I DO have lots of cedar logs on site, 10" diameter, 8 feet long.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I know at point blank range a .22 will penetrate completely through one log.
      It will?

I know a 2x4 won't stop my suppressed Ruger with CCI standard velocity rounds, but a 4x4 will, or a pair of 2x4's will.
      A pair of 4x4's will stop a suppressed .45

I couldn't imagine a 10" round log not being able to stop a .22 at point blank. Is it rotted?
      020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

9. 04-08-2012 11:42 PM #9
      Balsa wood?

Vehicles
      2014 GLI 30th, 1977 TA W72
      04-09-2012 12:03 AM #10
      Kind of curious about that myself... And at 400 yards, the drop would be something like 20 feet and the bullet would be moving south of 500fps.
      Jason • Now 2.0T / 400 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      04-09-2012 09:54 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI_2.0T View Post
      Kind of curious about that myself... And at 400 yards, the drop would be something like 20 feet and the bullet would be moving south of 500fps.
      The drop is substantial. About 190 inches.

No idea on velocity.
      Last edited by emmettlodge; 04-09-2012 at 09:56 AM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      04-09-2012 09:55 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Broke View Post
      It will?

I know a 2x4 won't stop my suppressed Ruger with CCI standard velocity rounds, but a 4x4 will, or a pair of 2x4's will.
      A pair of 4x4's will stop a suppressed .45

I couldn't imagine a 10" round log not being able to stop a .22 at point blank. Is it rotted?
      Maybe they are rotted on the inside. Federal .22 high velocity went through.

So another reason to triple up the logs I guess, in case I get some rotten ones.

Vehicles
      '12 Volt, '14 Cherokee, '02 954 Fireblade
      04-09-2012 11:41 AM #13
      .22lr at 400 yards? I think you are the first person I've ever heard of that wants to do that. Sounds like a good way to frustrate the hell out of yourself.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      04-09-2012 12:16 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      .22lr at 400 yards? I think you are the first person I've ever heard of that wants to do that. Sounds like a good way to frustrate the hell out of yourself.
      Heh, yeah. My expectations are pretty reasonable - my target is a 6x6' custom made "shoot n c" type. So its a pretty big margin for error. I think with a calm wind it wont be too bad.