Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: just a small note on visiting the Los Angeles TCL crew...

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda Rotary Thingy
      04-05-2012 04:06 PM #1
      I met some fantastic folk this past weekend including, choochoo, choochoo jr., bzcat, greatfox, his friend Levi, what, and Russian bear lawyer.

And I came away thinking
      1. I know very little about cars compared to everyone else that was at the C&C.
      2. I wish a cars and coffee attendee would have done a burnout to distract the resting poh-lice officer. But that would probably mean more po-pos the next time around
      3. Porsches are a dime a dozen in Los Angeles
      4. Lol at stock 3 series
      5. Ling Long tires mean srs business
      6. Your Evo V better have a rear diff. IT BETTER!
      7. it's called, "Cars and Coffee" not "cars, motorcycles and coffee"
      8. modern cars that are not modified are really boring at C&C.
      9. Gold Toyota Prius guy did not talk to anyone.
      10. I know why Vad is always looking for a new ride.
      11. i lost count of how many times we referenced the E30's rust.

Every car in Los Angeles is a snoozefest unless it's a custom built classic car. That is because there are so many Bentleys, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bentleys, Veyrons, etc., that the shock of seeing these supercars wears off within an hour of two of arriving in Los Angeles. You know what's rare in Hollywood? A pickup!

I thought of the scene in Gone in Sixty Seconds (with Nicholas Cage), where Nick is at Ferrari dealer trying to get something that wouldn't make him a wanker. A modern Ferrari? Wanker. A classic Ferrari? Not a wanker.

I am still VERY disturbed by my car experience in LA. With unlimited amounts of money, I really don't know what I would buy if I lived there. If I wanted to be different? Maybe a La Forza. Oh ****, I saw one of those. I'm in a constant state of "What would I buy if I wanted a unique car and lived in LA?" I'm going crazy.

Damn you, Los Angeles! The only car I did not spot in Los Angeles were Lesbarus! And now I understand why Vad is always looking for cars...because no car favorably stands out in West Hollywood.

So depressing. But nothing gets the LA C&C guys more depressed than this:

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      04-05-2012 04:35 PM #2
      Yugo with the M5's V10 swap.

Blog Entries
      04-05-2012 05:24 PM #3
      Glad to hear you had a great experience (or am I assuming too much?).

Also sound like a good turnout. Did you guys do the culinary tour after CnC?

(and yes, CnC really means "Cars, or other things with engines and maybe wheels, And Coffee, or Danish, or cider, or burritos/tacos...")

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGroove View Post
      You know what's rare in Hollywood? A pickup!
      Pickup in Hollywood = Lamborghini in Podunk?

Blog Entries
      04-05-2012 05:24 PM #4
      Cone to think of it- has anyone approached Taco Bell about sponsoring breakfast in their parking lot?

5. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      04-05-2012 05:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Cone to think of it- has anyone approached Taco Bell about sponsoring breakfast in their parking lot?
      Do they have enough bathroom space on hand?
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      PRJCT.:R Chronicles l What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

Vehicles
      '00 Boxster Wannabe
      04-05-2012 05:54 PM #6
      'twas nice to meet you! I had no idea you were just visiting!!! I thought you were local

And to cosign on what you said about not being able to find a unique car that is C&C worthy: I've been trying to decide on what car would not only be C&C worthy, but reliable enough to drive daily, and not cost a fortune. If you think of something, let me know
      Quote Originally Posted by iamnotemo View Post
      ...I am jealous of your shift knob. That is a shape I love.
      Quote Originally Posted by elementpb View Post
      your mom sounds like my kind of lady. is she single and/or discrete?
      I have RWD, finally!!!!!!

Vehicles
      '00 Boxster Wannabe
      04-05-2012 05:55 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Brendan@bwalkauto View Post
      Do they have enough bathroom space on hand?
      nope!

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-05-2012 06:08 PM #8
      Supergroove, it was nice to meet you. Only someone as nice as you would ever help a russian bear import a rusty E30 M3 from Colorado to LALAland. Did you get a chance to swing by his mom's house to torch his volvo so he can collect on insurance since he is unwilling to sell it or fix it???

Did we miss SVT2888 Leo? I didn't see him there last week and he's a pretty hard guy to miss....

vad will be there every week for their dorito taco shells

greatfox, nsx is your answer.

Vehicles
      '00 Boxster Wannabe
      04-05-2012 06:11 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      I'd like to believe you, but a 20 year old Midengined, aluminum bodied, hand-built car, with many hard to obtain (or expensive) parts is a bit of a scary DD proposition. Especially when a clutch job is over $2,000

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      04-05-2012 06:15 PM #10
      Supergroove, it was nice to meet you. Only someone as nice as you would ever help a russian bear import a rusty E30 M3 from Colorado to LALAland. Did you get a chance to swing by his mom's house to torch his volvo so he can collect on insurance since he is unwilling to sell it or fix it???

Did we miss SVT2888 Leo? I didn't see him there last week and he's a pretty hard guy to miss....

vad will be there every week for their dorito taco shells
      Volvo doesn't live at mama's, it lives in the carport in Hollywooooooood . Leo texted me saying he partied too hard, I just forgot to tell you .

I still owe SuperGroove Kogi tacos but noooooooooooooo, he had to go see Santa Monica.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      04-05-2012 06:18 PM #11

So depressing. But nothing gets the LA C&C guys more depressed than this:
      It was worse than that... It was THIS!

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      Thundercougarfalconbird
      04-05-2012 06:31 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Volvo doesn't live at mama's, it lives in the carport in Hollywooooooood . Leo texted me saying he partied too hard, I just forgot to tell you .

I still owe SuperGroove Kogi tacos but noooooooooooooo, he had to go see Santa Monica.
      I was on vacation from work so I actually got to hangout with my friends on a Friday night...sooo...ummmm...yeah...I took free liberty of this opportunity and consumed a good bit of libations.

My B-day was last week and since my mother knows I'm rather picky she just gave me cash for my B-day. On Monday she asked me what I bought my self as a present....I was like...ummmm...well...rest assured I invested it wisely!

I still feel bad for not attending C&C! Honestly I do! I feel guilty for not attending.

But I know what you guys mean when it comes to discussing a "C&C worthy" vehicle. There is so much automotive culture and so much variety in So Cal that it is truly hard to stand out while still remaining tasteful. RS4PD and I have had many discussions before about what would make a great C&C car, but we can NEVER come up with a definitive answer. Every time we think of something....chances are we thought about it because we have in fact seen it at C&C!

Blog Entries
      04-05-2012 06:41 PM #13
      It was worse than that... It was THIS!

Oh, wow. Yeah, that is bad.

I could have won the billion dollar lotto prize and rolled out of bed with 3 hot super models, and this car would ruin my day

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      04-05-2012 06:49 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by SVT2888 View Post
      I was on vacation from work so I actually got to hangout with my friends on a Friday night...sooo...ummmm...yeah...I took free liberty of this opportunity and consumed a good bit of libations.

My B-day was last week and since my mother knows I'm rather picky she just gave me cash for my B-day. On Monday she asked me what I bought my self as a present....I was like...ummmm...well...rest assured I invested it wisely!

I still feel bad for not attending C&C! Honestly I do! I feel guilty for not attending.

But I know what you guys mean when it comes to discussing a "C&C worthy" vehicle. There is so much automotive culture and so much variety in So Cal that it is truly hard to stand out while still remaining tasteful. RS4PD and I have had many discussions before about what would make a great C&C car, but we can NEVER come up with a definitive answer. Every time we think of something....chances are we thought about it because we have in fact seen it at C&C!
      I am planning a cross country trip in September.
      I plan to stop by C&C.
      I hope to see you and Vad...maybe Vad will have sold the E30 by then, and be tracking the Volvo.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      Thundercougarfalconbird
      04-05-2012 10:15 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      I am planning a cross country trip in September.
      I plan to stop by C&C.
      I hope to see you and Vad...maybe Vad will have sold the E30 by then, and be tracking the Volvo.
      He better Sell the Volvo and buy an M5!

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda Rotary Thingy
      04-06-2012 11:23 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by greatfox View Post
      'twas nice to meet you! I had no idea you were just visiting!!! I thought you were local

And to cosign on what you said about not being able to find a unique car that is C&C worthy: I've been trying to decide on what car would not only be C&C worthy, but reliable enough to drive daily, and not cost a fortune. If you think of something, let me know
      I really think American cars stood out at C&C. They were lost amongst the German and Japanese. But I can't think of a modern American car that is special that I didn't see in LA. Maybe a Green on Tan Pontiac Solstice GXP hard top, lowered on a set of BBS LM-Rs?

Don't have green pic.

Good to meet you and your clan too! I actually think Vad's M3 would be a worthy C&C car. He's got the foundation, just needs to build on it.

It was windy as 'eff. I did go to Korea Town afterwards though

Glad to hear you had a great experience (or am I assuming too much?).

Also sound like a good turnout. Did you guys do the culinary tour after CnC?

(and yes, CnC really means "Cars, or other things with engines and maybe wheels, And Coffee, or Danish, or cider, or burritos/tacos...")

Pickup in Hollywood = Lamborghini in Podunk?
      No, I was lame and had to get back to meet my friends and wife for breakfast back in Holly-ooood.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      04-06-2012 11:41 AM #17
      I'm actually a bit bummed I didn't get out there last weekend for the little TCL meet. You guys should announce these things!

Especially when a clutch job is over $2,000
      DIY!

I'm still wishy washy on if I want to tackle the timing belt change myself. I've done about 7 Prelude timing belts for myself and various friends, but for some reason the NSX belt is really daunting to me. I think I'm going to man up and do it, in a few weekends.

Vehicles
      '00 Boxster Wannabe
      04-06-2012 12:17 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      DIY!

I'm still wishy washy on if I want to tackle the timing belt change myself. I've done about 7 Prelude timing belts for myself and various friends, but for some reason the NSX belt is really daunting to me. I think I'm going to man up and do it, in a few weekends.
      I'll be honest and say that I don't think I'm skilled enough to do it myself. I consider changing the suspension on my car a major job for me, so doing a clutch would be like assembling a nuclear missile. Maybe someday I'll be skilled enough (or have big enough balls) to do things like that (or the timing belt change you mentioned), and then I'll be "worthy" of the NSX

19. Member
      Vehicles
      04-06-2012 12:45 PM #19
      I'll be honest and say that I don't think I'm skilled enough to do it myself. I consider changing the suspension on my car a major job for me, so doing a clutch would be like assembling a nuclear missile. Maybe someday I'll be skilled enough (or have big enough balls) to do things like that (or the timing belt change you mentioned), and then I'll be "worthy" of the NSX
      If changing the clutch is a marker of worthiness for the NSX, 99.95% of NSX owners are not worthy

20. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      04-06-2012 12:57 PM #20
      Every car in Los Angeles is a snoozefest unless it's a custom built classic car. That is because there are so many Bentleys, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bentleys, Veyrons, etc., that the shock of seeing these supercars wears off within an hour of two of arriving in Los Angeles. You know what's rare in Hollywood? A pickup!
      people who havent been to LA dont comprehend this... which makes the reaction all the more amusing when you do finally spend time there.

black and white e/c/s classes and 3/5/7 series blend in really well there

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-06-2012 01:11 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      people who havent been to LA dont comprehend this... which makes the reaction all the more amusing when you do finally spend time there.

black and white e/c/s classes and 3/5/7 series blend in really well there
      Supergroove didn't experience all of LA

22. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      04-06-2012 01:22 PM #22
      i should say the parts worth visiting...

ive spent some time over on that side, near alhambra/san gabriel, you can always tell what part of town youre in by the # of new 3 series/c classes around

04-06-2012 03:36 PM #23
      Supergroove didn't experience all of LA

Vehicles
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      04-06-2012 04:42 PM #24
      I am still VERY disturbed by my car experience in LA. With unlimited amounts of money, I really don't know what I would buy if I lived there. If I wanted to be different? Maybe a La Forza. Oh ****, I saw one of those. I'm in a constant state of "What would I buy if I wanted a unique car and lived in LA?" I'm going crazy.
      it's a valid "concern," i agree

so lemme share a li'l annecdote: ya know how once you buy a new/different car all of a sudden (it seems) you start seeing them everywhere? well 5 weeks ago i purchased this:

and while the Z4 roadsters are a dime a dozen, it was 23 days before i saw another Z4 Coupe that is an ETERNITY in Los Angeles (which seemingly has every car known to man), or anywhere for that matter; low production volume (in my case, < 13K 2006-09) = rarity/exclusivity. having said that, of course a week later i saw another 2, a day apart from each other! but that was 2 weeks ago and i've still not seen another Coupe again yet. BMWs are common as dirt in L.A. but not mine; and in all 5 weeks i've only seen one "clownshoe" (Z3 Coupe; of course they're older now). Vive la différence!
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      FWD Mercedes, 4cyl Mustangs, unreliable Toyotas... WTF is this world coming to?
      and my new pet peeve: the "woah" misspelling of whoa: it's W-H-O-A, people! "learn it. know it. live it." seriously. #FFS #SMH

Vehicles
      '13 Flex Ecoboost, '08 RS4, '07 GT3 RS, '03 GTI 20th AE, '98 C43 AMG, '98 S500, '95 F512 M, '88 M6
      04-06-2012 07:30 PM #25
      Bummed I missed the mini meet up; I'm still overseas. Will be there next weekend for sure.

And you really miss out a bit at CnC if Leo isn't there - he is such a damn encyclopedia it's crazy. He'll tell you the type of car, engine size, gear ratios, how many were made, how many are still around, how many he's seen at CnC, who the owner is, what he does, and who he slept with the night before.......really. Test him out next time.

And I think the perfect CnC car right now (although we've seen quite a few there) would be a Lotus Cortina. Technically European, kind of American, racing pedigree, looks cool, don't cost six figures, not everyone knows what it is, and those that do usually appreciate it........what you think?

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-06-2012 08:13 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by slirt View Post
      Vive la différence!
      damn, I must really suck at this game

says the owner of VCA*

*Very Common Automobiles

27. 04-06-2012 09:24 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      If you need pointers, I've messed around/changed/younameit with the tbelt in my v6 mr2 (baby version of nsx) about 5 times now. It's a huge PITA.
      Quote Originally Posted by slikaznricer View Post
      Dude, its the internet. Everyone trolls everyone. if you get butthurt, go buy some preparation H or troll back.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      04-07-2012 10:16 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by DrFrisker View Post
      If you need pointers, I've messed around/changed/younameit with the tbelt in my v6 mr2 (baby version of nsx) about 5 times now. It's a huge PITA.
      Hey thanks man, that's really awesome. That being said, what's great about the NSX is that because it's so old, everything has been discussed in great detail. Even down to random cabin noises.

Vehicles
      indeed!
      04-07-2012 11:29 PM #29

Taco Bell used to serve breakfast, and it was freakin' awesome while I was younger. Also, on another note, I think we were worried that gas might hit like $2 in decades.
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

Blog Entries
      04-08-2012 06:24 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by syntrix View Post
      Taco Bell used to serve breakfast, and it was freakin' awesome while I was younger. Also, on another note, I think we were worried that gas might hit like $2 in decades.
      Well taco bell restaurants are trying to serve breakfast- but they don't open until like 7:30 or 8:00-- and only serve it until 10:00... I don't think they understand "breakfast"... I need to be done and somewhere by 8.

I was actually talking about the south side of CnC venue- its Ford's former PAG office, and the new tenant is a corporate taco bell office.