Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: Teen Hit and Run driver hits bicyclist, flees, gets trapped by bus

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      04-06-2012 12:27 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      He is young and in good shape?
      But more importantly- the Accord was designed under Euro pedestrian crash safety standards.
      Hmm? Even the American market Accord is designed for this? I can see the Acura TSX (Euro Accord)...
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 12:28 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by aoj2108 View Post
      Some of you guys need to watch the video again The end of the video states that bicycles can take up an entire lane on the bridge if they choose to. Pause at 0:25 and you can see the Bus, followed by the silver Passat, and the black Accord all in the right lane. At 0:28, the driver of the black Accord suddenly decides he is an impatient douche and jumps out in the left lane and fails to use his turn signals. He then speeds past the Passat and cuts in front of him no doubt failing to use turn signals once again and finally at 0:30 he slams into the bicyclists while speeding. Pay close attention to the clock in the video itself.
      Oh.. good call.
      I was thinking he bicyclists was in front of the Passat.
      But the video has a chunk of time missing in the middle.

The bus must have changed lanes to go around the slow moving bicyclists just as the Accord diver come up in the left lane to pass the bus.. the bus might have even contributed to the Accord driver not seeing the bicyclists.

On that note- why is that important chunk of video not in the youtube video?
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 12:29 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by TigerinColorado View Post
      It's always a mistake. Don'tcha think?!
      Not condoning it (I would never do that), just reverberating how most people think (unfortunately).
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

4. 04-06-2012 12:29 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by aoj2108 View Post
      Some of you guys need to watch the video again The end of the video states that bicycles can take up an entire lane on the bridge if they choose to. Pause at 0:25 and you can see the Bus, followed by the silver Passat, and the black Accord all in the right lane. At 0:28, the driver of the black Accord suddenly decides he is an impatient douche and jumps out in the left lane and fails to use his turn signals. He then speeds past the Passat and cuts in front of him no doubt failing to use turn signals once again and finally at 0:30 he slams into the bicyclists while speeding. Pay close attention to the clock in the video itself.
      how in the **** would anyone think that is a good idea...

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 12:30 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Hmm? Even the American market Accord is designed for this? I can see the Acura TSX (Euro Accord)...
      Hmm. good point. So you think Honda intentionally made that Accord more deadly for pedestrians?

Vehicles
      Rovers and German buffet
      04-06-2012 12:32 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Hail to the bus driver, bus driver man!
      x 2 I love that bus driver.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      04-06-2012 12:32 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by HalvieCuw View Post
      Because it forces drivers who are actually paying attention to pass properly instead of sharing a lane that is too narrow to safely share.

Bicycles don't get rear-ended often, they get side-swiped.

In this thread: TCL proves how little they know about bicycle safety. It isn't common sense if you just drive a car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      Rovers and German buffet
      04-06-2012 12:35 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by HalvieCuw View Post
      Unless you want the cyclists on the pedestrian sidewalk (illegal and over the concrete wall) or in the river below...where else are you gonna put them?

Even if he was on the side that Accord woulda just side swiped the hellz outta him.

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 12:35 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      Following the law?

How about you read the tread before posting and looking like a fool?

Fabulous remark, the fool is you boy, you can stop your hissyfit now

it's a 4 lane road with no place for a bike ride safely. When I ride my bike I practice common sense and choose the safest path to get to my destianation..........
      Last edited by Captain Spongeworthy; 04-06-2012 at 12:43 AM.
      “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 12:35 AM #35
      Because it forces drivers who are actually paying attention to pass properly instead of sharing a lane that is too narrow to safely share.

Bicycles don't get rear-ended often, they get side-swiped.

In this thread: TCL proves how little they know about bicycle safety. It isn't common sense if you just drive a car.
      Don't you think it odd that at the same time we are making cars more idiot proof that we are giving bicyclists more rights on the road?

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 12:38 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spongeworthy View Post
      Fabulous remark, the fool is you boy

it's a 4 lane road with no place for a bike ride safely. When I ride my bike I practice common sense and choose the safest path to get to my destianation..........
      The law states he is supposed to use the road, so he did.
      This is a bridge, not some road where there's another way around. Yeah, it is certainly the bicyclist's fault, not the moron who doesn't know how to look out of a window.
      If you paid attention to the thread, you'd know this.

Find me a better way over this river without going miles out of the way
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fahy+B...18018&t=h&z=16
      Last edited by nm+; 04-06-2012 at 12:41 AM.

12. 04-06-2012 12:42 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spongeworthy View Post
      Fabulous remark, the fool is you boy

The wife and I ride quite a bit in the summer. If it was me, I'm walking the bike across the bridge on the pedestrian walkway.

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 12:45 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      The wife and I ride quite a bit in the summer. If it was me, I'm walking the bike across the bridge on the pedestrian walkway.
      Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it is a good idea.

I have the right to drive the back roads near the bars at 3 am on a Friday and Saturday night.
      But I choose not to.

Vehicles
      '07 B7 Audi A4, '15 F30 BMW 3 Series
      04-06-2012 12:46 AM #39
      Good work by both the bus driver and the B5.5 Passat driver! Would've done the same thing
      Past: 1999.5 MKIV GTI, 2004 Audi S4, 2009 MKV Jetta, 2009 MKV Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 12:58 AM #40
      Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it is a good idea.

I have the right to drive the back roads near the bars at 3 am on a Friday and Saturday night.
      But I choose not to.
      Yet, if you get hit at 3AM while perfectly sober, no one's going to be blaming you or even asking what the hell you were thinking driving then.

16. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 01:04 AM #41
      Yet, if you get hit at 3AM while perfectly sober, no one's going to be blaming you or even asking what the hell you were thinking driving then.
      IDK- my friends and family would definitely ask me why I took that unnecessary risk.

These bicyclists must be very unloved people.

I kid...

17. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 01:11 AM #42
      The law states he is supposed to use the road, so he did.
      This is a bridge, not some road where there's another way around. Yeah, it is certainly the bicyclist's fault, not the moron who doesn't know how to look out of a window.
      If you paid attention to the thread, you'd know this.

Find me a better way over this river without going miles out of the way
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fahy+B...18018&t=h&z=16

Who the hell cares about the law or fault, is it worth getting crippled to prove a point? Cars hit other cars all the time, it is your job to look out for youself when you ride a bike. You being right according to the law doesn't mean **** when you lay in bed paralized. Car vs bike, who do you think always wins? Common sense.....
      Last edited by Captain Spongeworthy; 04-06-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      04-06-2012 01:13 AM #43
      A little off topic perhaps. But it does go to show that they have camera's all over the friggin' place!

Good thing I go far, far away to hide on my weekends.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

19. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 01:18 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      Exactly, this video proves your point perfectly

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      04-06-2012 01:29 AM #45

Vehicles
      Too Many.
      04-06-2012 01:48 AM #46
      Bus driver deserves a !!!!

I hate teen drivers... seriously, wait until you are 20...and we'll make the drinking age 18.

On another note... I hate cyclists who can't go the speed limit and choose to impede traffic. Pay road tax, go the speed limit, or get on the FFFF sidewalk!

I hope the cyclist heals up o.k.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

Vehicles
      Mark Three Point Five
      04-06-2012 01:55 AM #47
      the bus might have even contributed to the Accord driver not seeing the bicyclists.

On that note- why is that important chunk of video not in the youtube video?
      I don't think the bus had any fault. It changed lanes to the left and the Accord swerved around the Passat and then tried to swerve back into the right lane to pass the bus and probably did not see the bike since he was speeding and acting like a colossal douche.

23. 04-06-2012 02:02 AM #48
      In a world of big vehicles and people thinking DRLs are required for safety: Is it that hard to fathom that a narrow dark bicyclist might be really hard to see for the average driver?.

Yes. If you can't see a cyclist in broad daylight in the middle of a lane, you need to turn in your license.

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 02:15 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Dizy View Post
      Yes. If you can't see a cyclist in broad daylight in the middle of a lane, you need to turn in your license.
      And yet- every single day there are thousands of drivers that hit other cars.. and don't lose their licenses.

I never condoned hitting bicyclists, but in the grand scheme of things the average driver is going to be watching out for things that pose a threat to them while driving.
      And on a bridge with a pedestrian walk way, they probably don't expect to see a pedestrian-like object in the road.

But people please- keep telling me to turn in my license.

Maybe for 2015 we will have mandatory accident avoidance braking assist on all vehicles- and even more rights for bicyclists. sigh.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 02:51 AM #50
      And yet- every single day there are thousands of drivers that hit other cars.. and don't lose their licenses.

I never condoned hitting bicyclists, but in the grand scheme of things the average driver is going to be watching out for things that pose a threat to them while driving.
      And on a bridge with a pedestrian walk way, they probably don't expect to see a pedestrian-like object in the road.

But people please- keep telling me to turn in my license.

Maybe for 2015 we will have mandatory accident avoidance braking assist on all vehicles- and even more rights for bicyclists. sigh.
      The bridge clearly has signs pointing out bicycle traffic in the lane. He missed those too. He was probably more concerned with his phone call, his coffee, and being late to pay attention to signs or the road.

It is extremely clear from the google map, that this is the slow speed road. There is a large freeway bridge maybe a 1/4 mile away. Bridges tend to have more lanes because overbuilding makes more sense than expanding in a decade. This is the bicycle route.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast