Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: Teen Hit and Run driver hits bicyclist, flees, gets trapped by bus

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      04-06-2012 12:38 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spongeworthy View Post
      Fabulous remark, the fool is you boy

it's a 4 lane road with no place for a bike ride safely. When I ride my bike I practice common sense and choose the safest path to get to my destianation..........
      The law states he is supposed to use the road, so he did.
      This is a bridge, not some road where there's another way around. Yeah, it is certainly the bicyclist's fault, not the moron who doesn't know how to look out of a window.
      If you paid attention to the thread, you'd know this.

Find me a better way over this river without going miles out of the way
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fahy+B...18018&t=h&z=16
      Last edited by nm+; 04-06-2012 at 12:41 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

2. 04-06-2012 12:42 AM #37
      Fabulous remark, the fool is you boy

it's a 4 lane road with no place for a bike ride safely. When I ride my bike I practice common sense and choose the safest path to get to my destianation..........
      The wife and I ride quite a bit in the summer. If it was me, I'm walking the bike across the bridge on the pedestrian walkway.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 12:45 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      The wife and I ride quite a bit in the summer. If it was me, I'm walking the bike across the bridge on the pedestrian walkway.
      Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it is a good idea.

I have the right to drive the back roads near the bars at 3 am on a Friday and Saturday night.
      But I choose not to.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      B7 Audi A4 Quattro
      04-06-2012 12:46 AM #39
      Good work by both the bus driver and the B5.5 Passat driver! Would've done the same thing
      Past: 1999.5 GTI, 2009 Jetta, 2009 Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 12:58 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it is a good idea.

I have the right to drive the back roads near the bars at 3 am on a Friday and Saturday night.
      But I choose not to.
      Yet, if you get hit at 3AM while perfectly sober, no one's going to be blaming you or even asking what the hell you were thinking driving then.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 01:04 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      Yet, if you get hit at 3AM while perfectly sober, no one's going to be blaming you or even asking what the hell you were thinking driving then.
      IDK- my friends and family would definitely ask me why I took that unnecessary risk.

These bicyclists must be very unloved people.

I kid...
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 01:11 AM #42
      The law states he is supposed to use the road, so he did.
      This is a bridge, not some road where there's another way around. Yeah, it is certainly the bicyclist's fault, not the moron who doesn't know how to look out of a window.
      If you paid attention to the thread, you'd know this.

Find me a better way over this river without going miles out of the way
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fahy+B...18018&t=h&z=16

Who the hell cares about the law or fault, is it worth getting crippled to prove a point? Cars hit other cars all the time, it is your job to look out for youself when you ride a bike. You being right according to the law doesn't mean **** when you lay in bed paralized. Car vs bike, who do you think always wins? Common sense.....
      Last edited by Captain Spongeworthy; 04-06-2012 at 01:14 AM.
      “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      04-06-2012 01:13 AM #43
      A little off topic perhaps. But it does go to show that they have camera's all over the friggin' place!

Good thing I go far, far away to hide on my weekends.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 01:18 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      Exactly, this video proves your point perfectly

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-06-2012 01:29 AM #45

Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03 Allroad sold, 86 Jetta sold, 87 f150 & ????
      04-06-2012 01:48 AM #46
      Bus driver deserves a !!!!

I hate teen drivers... seriously, wait until you are 20...and we'll make the drinking age 18.

On another note... I hate cyclists who can't go the speed limit and choose to impede traffic. Pay road tax, go the speed limit, or get on the FFFF sidewalk!

I hope the cyclist heals up o.k.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

Vehicles
      '00 Golf Cabriolet & '11 JSW 2.5
      04-06-2012 01:55 AM #47
      the bus might have even contributed to the Accord driver not seeing the bicyclists.

On that note- why is that important chunk of video not in the youtube video?
      I don't think the bus had any fault. It changed lanes to the left and the Accord swerved around the Passat and then tried to swerve back into the right lane to pass the bus and probably did not see the bike since he was speeding and acting like a colossal douche.

13. 04-06-2012 02:02 AM #48
      In a world of big vehicles and people thinking DRLs are required for safety: Is it that hard to fathom that a narrow dark bicyclist might be really hard to see for the average driver?.

Yes. If you can't see a cyclist in broad daylight in the middle of a lane, you need to turn in your license.

14. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 02:15 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Dizy View Post
      Yes. If you can't see a cyclist in broad daylight in the middle of a lane, you need to turn in your license.
      And yet- every single day there are thousands of drivers that hit other cars.. and don't lose their licenses.

I never condoned hitting bicyclists, but in the grand scheme of things the average driver is going to be watching out for things that pose a threat to them while driving.
      And on a bridge with a pedestrian walk way, they probably don't expect to see a pedestrian-like object in the road.

But people please- keep telling me to turn in my license.

Maybe for 2015 we will have mandatory accident avoidance braking assist on all vehicles- and even more rights for bicyclists. sigh.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 02:51 AM #50
      And yet- every single day there are thousands of drivers that hit other cars.. and don't lose their licenses.

I never condoned hitting bicyclists, but in the grand scheme of things the average driver is going to be watching out for things that pose a threat to them while driving.
      And on a bridge with a pedestrian walk way, they probably don't expect to see a pedestrian-like object in the road.

But people please- keep telling me to turn in my license.

Maybe for 2015 we will have mandatory accident avoidance braking assist on all vehicles- and even more rights for bicyclists. sigh.
      The bridge clearly has signs pointing out bicycle traffic in the lane. He missed those too. He was probably more concerned with his phone call, his coffee, and being late to pay attention to signs or the road.

It is extremely clear from the google map, that this is the slow speed road. There is a large freeway bridge maybe a 1/4 mile away. Bridges tend to have more lanes because overbuilding makes more sense than expanding in a decade. This is the bicycle route.

Vehicles
      Volvo C30 T5 6sp manual / Mazda5 5sp manual
      04-06-2012 03:28 AM #51
      Who the hell cares about the law or fault, is it worth getting crippled to prove a point? Cars hit other cars all the time, it is your job to look out for youself when you ride a bike. You being right according to the law doesn't mean **** when you lay in bed paralized. Car vs bike, who do you think always wins? Common sense.....

Ride where you instinctively know is the safest path. Your evolutionary survival instinct doesn't lie.

I would never ever ride in the middle of a lane with a row of cars behind and zooming past like depicted in the video, even if I had the right to do it.

My spidey sense is tingling just watching the video.

Vehicles
      2011 MKVI DSG GTI
      04-06-2012 03:29 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Leaving satisfied.

Seriously though, props to the bus driver
      2011 DEEP BLACK 4DR DSG AUTOBAHN GTI
      Most chicks that drive Escapes have a rug that needs trimming.
      Check this site out for free stuff!

Vehicles
      e46
      04-06-2012 04:01 AM #53
      The driver was in no way morally, ethically or legally right; with that said that bicyclist deserved it.

There is no reason, law or not, why he needed to be in the middle of the lane. If there is some new law that states they can take the whole lane that guy was being no more than troll in doing so to exercise his right and say "hey look at me i can do this".
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Prior Vehicles: MkIV GLI

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      04-06-2012 04:05 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      A little off topic perhaps. But it does go to show that they have camera's all over the friggin' place!

Good thing I go far, far away to hide on my weekends.
      Back when I had my e30 with it's leaky radiator I went to go pick up my sister from a play practice she had at school in Allentown where they have cameras are all over the place. Anyway the practice took way longer than it was supposed to and I was bored just sitting in the parking lot so I decided to check the coolant level to see how far it had dropped on the drive over so I got out, popped the hood and a few minutes later I was surrounded by three police cars for trying to steal my own car. I don't know if they use the same system in Bethlehem but considering they're sister cities I wouldn't be surprised.

Vehicles
      '91 Jetta GLI, '68 Beetle 'vert, '79 Cutlass Supreme
      04-06-2012 04:06 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post

Ride where you instinctively know is the safest path. Your evolutionary survival instinct doesn't lie.

I would never ever ride in the middle of a lane with a row of cars behind and zooming past like depicted in the video, even if I had the right to do it.

My spidey sense is tingling just watching the video.
      This. The Accord driver was a complete idiot and got what he deserved. However, so was the cyclist for riding like that. There seemed to be several cars swerving around him. You can be following a car at normal speed, the car ahead who wasn't paying attention swerves at the last second, and BAM. There's a bike in front of you who might as well be standing still in the middle of a lane. It doesn't matter if he's allowed to ride there by law, he's dumb for doing it. No matter who's at fault, you're still the one under someone's tires. I can ride my bike just about anywhere except a freeway around here, but I value my life enough to ride safely.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      04-06-2012 04:35 AM #56
      The new pa law protecting bicyclists simply encourages stupidity like this from cyclists. While I haven't ridden much this year I usually commute thousands of miles annually by bike ( I run now) so I'm not simply a driver. Just because I can take up a whole lane doesn't mean the laws of physics change for me. I would ride in the side lane on that bridge.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

22. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 04:43 AM #57
      Kind of wondering if the byciclist on the video and the people commenting for him learned anything from this incident........

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      04-06-2012 04:52 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by TigerinColorado View Post
      x 2 I love that bus driver.
      Yes, the bus driver was great. So was the silver car car that snugged right up onto his rear bumper to keep him from backing out.

Im not going to get into the biker crap. I ride on the road and do not take a full lane because Va doesnt say I can. He followed the rules and I hope that teen goes to jail for something like attempted vehicular manslaughter, or whatever. TCL bikes on the road threads always break down into chaos.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      04-06-2012 04:53 AM #59
      Here are cyclists views on the subject btw:
      http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...acy-amp-Safety
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

25. Member
      04-06-2012 05:21 AM #60
      I wonder what kind of upstanding parent raised this ****head to have absolutely no sense of self-responsibility and to think it's okay to run away after hitting someone with a car.

Short of hauling the parent off to jail too, they should double the fine for minors. Make the parents pay their fair share for raising an useless little twit.

26. 04-06-2012 05:40 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      On another note... I hate cyclists who can't go the speed limit and choose to impede traffic. Pay road tax, go the speed limit, or get on the FFFF sidewalk!
      You know what's more of a pain in the ass than slowing to a cyclist's speed while you're in your car?

Dodging friggin' cyclists as a pedestrian on the damn sidewalk!
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '00 Miata
      04-06-2012 05:40 AM #62
      Illegal to ride on the sidewalk or pedestrian bridge.
      But he could have gotten off and walked the bicycle... but then again, he has the right to do as he pleases in traffic.
      That's the most screwed up part of this whole thing! The bike was moving about the same pace as a runner. So why not allow them on the pedestrian bridge? Is a cyclist really going to hurt a pedestrian more than a car will hurt a cyclist?

I mean why build a huge concrete barrier if stuff like this is still going to happen?

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk
      "If your car 'feels like it's on rails,' then you're going too slow."

28. 04-06-2012 05:47 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by kimilein View Post
      I wonder what kind of upstanding parent raised this ****head to have absolutely no sense of self-responsibility and to think it's okay to run away after hitting someone with a car.

Short of hauling the parent off to jail too, they should double the fine for minors. Make the parents pay their fair share for raising an useless little twit.
      Strongly agree
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      2005 VW GTI 1.8t, 2007 Audi A4 2.0t
      04-06-2012 06:28 AM #64
      Fact of the matter is, pay attention when you drive! If you don't preoccupy yourself with text messages, phone calls, eating, girls putting on their makeup, or anything you are doing other than looking where you are driving and paying attention to what's around you, things like this are going to happen.

From the car point a view, you can say anything you want about how slow a cyclist is going, or how far into the lane he was, but if you have one dead under your car, it doesn't matter. A dead cyclist under your car I imagine is hard to explain how it's the cyclists fault. Do cyclist do stupid ****? Yes I have seen them riding in large packs, riders outside of the designated bike path in lanes of traffic, some not stopping at stop signs, or red lights, and that's where being more of a defensive driver helps you out. You have to assume that every other car, cyclist, and even person walking is an idiot, and you have to protect yourself from idiots.

From the cyclist side of things with taking up a whole lane, I ride on the streets and would most likely ride to the side of the lane like normal. I think it gives me more of a chance to not get killed by some not paying attention, car driving retard. Unfortunately, even when cyclist ride in the designated bike lane, cars still drift over the line into the bike lane and take cyclists out so you have to protect yourself as a driver of a motor vehicle and pay attention. It's your only line of defense if something happens out of the ordinary, paying attention will give you more time to react to a situation.

I will say to everyone saying cyclists should stay on the sidewalk, well it's actually harder to see cyclist on the sidewalk then the street being that on sidewalks there are hedges, bushes, trees, and fences all partially blocking the view of a cyclist riding the sidewalk. And it's illegal, so that ends that topic.

30. 04-06-2012 06:40 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by dman624 View Post
      Fact of the matter is, pay attention when you drive! If you don't preoccupy yourself with text messages, phone calls, eating, girls putting on their makeup, or anything you are doing other than looking where you are driving and paying attention to what's around you, things like this are going to happen.
      The fact of the matter is that none of us know if any of these things are true in this instance. People are just selfish and impatient. Living in South Florida makes me MISS New Jersey in terms of driving; people down here not only do not care about your safety they do not care about their own and drive like absolute maniacs.

A teenaged driver should suffer exponentially greater fines and either go through driver training again or be reassessed altogether as to whether or not to have their license revoked.
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      2005 VW GTI 1.8t, 2007 Audi A4 2.0t
      04-06-2012 06:46 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      The fact of the matter is that none of us know if any of these things are true in this instance. People are just selfish and impatient. Living in South Florida makes me MISS New Jersey in terms of driving; people down here not only do not care about your safety they do not care about their own and drive like absolute maniacs.

A teenaged driver should suffer exponentially greater fines and either go through driver training again or be reassessed altogether as to whether or not to have their license revoked.
      Good call, I was going to mention the selfish/impatient thing as well, but it's 3am here and forgot after I wrote that out

32. 04-06-2012 06:51 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by dman624 View Post
      Good call, I was going to mention the selfish/impatient thing as well, but it's 3am here and forgot after I wrote that out
      It's OK; at 6 AM my brain isn't firing on all plugs either and I agree with your statements otherwise.
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-06-2012 07:24 AM #68
      Hit and run is bad, but what the hell was the byciclist doing on that road?
      Do you expect him to levitate over the river? It was a bridge you idiot. Think for 2 seconds before you post and you'll get and answer to your own question.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-06-2012 07:28 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by 2Cor View Post
      The new pa law protecting bicyclists simply encourages stupidity like this from cyclists. While I haven't ridden much this year I usually commute thousands of miles annually by bike ( I run now) so I'm not simply a driver. Just because I can take up a whole lane doesn't mean the laws of physics change for me. I would ride in the side lane on that bridge.
      Gimme a friggin break. Grow up dude.

The guy had every right to be in the lane. When you hug the right on a narrow road, you set yourself up for people to try and squeeze past 2 by 2. You're just asking for even more trouble. The cyclist was right to take the lane, it's a mutli lane road, cars can use the left. This just happened to be an unfortunate circumstance where a knucklehead hit him in spite of him being in clear and direct view of drivers. If he were in the left lane than you have all the right in the world to question his actions.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      04-06-2012 07:39 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Turn in your license if you need lights to see what's in front of you in broad daylight.
      Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      There's no such thing as a bicycle thread in TCL that ends well.
      Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      The bicyclist is an idiot too for riding near the middle at times. Appears to have been hit near the right side but still. I see a perfectly good pedestrian bridge...
      That's illegal.

Illegal to ride on the sidewalk or pedestrian bridge.
      But he could have gotten off and walked the bicycle... but then again, he has the right to do as he pleases in traffic.
      If he is only capable of going that fast, he probably should have walked the bike.

Because it forces drivers who are actually paying attention to pass properly instead of sharing a lane that is too narrow to safely share.

Bicycles don't get rear-ended often, they get side-swiped.

In this thread: TCL proves how little they know about bicycle safety. It isn't common sense if you just drive a car.
      Agreed. There is not enough room for safely passing a cyclist in that lane without using the other lane. Riding in the middle makes sure nobody tries. Again, if he is only capable of that speed, he should have been walking the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      The driver was in no way morally, ethically or legally right; with that said that bicyclist deserved it.

There is no reason, law or not, why he needed to be in the middle of the lane. If there is some new law that states they can take the whole lane that guy was being no more than troll in doing so to exercise his right and say "hey look at me i can do this".
      Deserved it? Really? Glad I don't share roads with you.

I think that a lot can be said about our drivers from threads like these. Spend a week on a bike in traffic with other cars and get back to us.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast