Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: Teen Hit and Run driver hits bicyclist, flees, gets trapped by bus

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      04-06-2012 09:36 AM #101
      While I applaud the bus driver for stopping the hit & run driver...I will say that bikes are a HUGE pain in the a$$. I live in an area that is VERY popular with bikes...rural and gorgeous. But, being rural, there are lots of roads with 1 lane in each direction and no-passing zones. It is not uncommon to have a bike with 20+ cars lined up behind it. SO frustrating. I know they have a right to be on the raod, but do it smartly. If there is a line of cars behind you, pull over and let them pass. And for God's sake, don't ride 2-3-4 bikes wide.

04-06-2012 09:36 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Don't you think it odd that at the same time we are making cars more idiot proof that we are giving bicyclists more rights on the road?
      The same rules in play here where in effect decades ago and automobile drivers were just as dumb and ignorant then, too.

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 1996 BK
      04-06-2012 09:40 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by 2Cor View Post
      If drivers followed the same rules you listed sleeping in the street should be safe.
      Never go full retard.

Vehicles
      2015 Fiesta Hatch, 2014 Prius
      04-06-2012 09:44 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Our government is way too weak in punishing traffic law violators who crash into others causing property damage, injury and/or death. The punishment should fit the crime. If you assault someone with your vehicle (intentional or otherwise) you should pay dearly for it. Leave the roads to those of us who choose to be attentive, courteous and proficient at driving.
      This coupled with the fact that they make it incredibly easy to get a drivers license. I can't imagine what an uproar there would be if people actually had to be challenged to get a license.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      04-06-2012 09:54 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
      Never go full retard.
      Your statement is nonsense. Just because something should be and would be safe doesn't mean it's a good idea.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      04-06-2012 10:01 AM #106
      Cyclisit shouldn't be on the road to begin with. You can clearly see how he was obstructing what seemed to be a highway. Both parties were in the wrong.
      The Build Thread CTS Turbo SoCalStance Shop

Window Tinter (RI Area)- #meatheadwindowtinting

RIP Alexi

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-06-2012 10:07 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      I am ashamed of the ignorance displayed by so many car lovers in this thread. Car enthusiasts often pride themselves on their higher than average driving proficiency. All of you people saying the bicyclist is at fault or shares some blame here needs to have the ignorance beat out of them and then re-examined to earn the privilege to drive on the same roads as me.

Folks, it's real simple. Look where you're going, drive defensively, don't drive faster than your eyes can see ahead of you, don't hit other people. If you can't see what's in front of you then hang up the car keys and take the bus or walk.

Our government is way too weak in punishing traffic law violators who crash into others causing property damage, injury and/or death. The punishment should fit the crime. If you assault someone with your vehicle (intentional or otherwise) you should pay dearly for it. Leave the roads to those of us who choose to be attentive, courteous and proficient at driving.
      Deserved of a quote.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      SEVERE
      04-06-2012 10:18 AM #108
      cheers to everyday heroes stopping bad guys! Nice block Mr. bus driver!!

9. 04-06-2012 10:19 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by R32R1 View Post
      Cyclisit shouldn't be on the road to begin with. You can clearly see how he was obstructing what seemed to be a highway. Both parties were in the wrong.
      It's a bridge, and the cyclist is legally required to ride there.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      SEVERE
      04-06-2012 10:20 AM #110

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      04-06-2012 10:20 AM #111
      As perhaps the only experienced cyclist (25 years) in here, I will say that if I were to have to ride over that bridge, I would stay to the right and haul ass over it. However, this does not excuse the inattentiveness and subsequent criminal behavior of the Accord driver.
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

12. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-06-2012 10:22 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
      As perhaps the only experienced cyclist (25 years) in here, I will say that if I were to have to ride over that bridge, I would stay to the right and haul ass over it. However, this does not excuse the inattentiveness and subsequent criminal behavior of the Accord driver.
      I dig the smug.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      04-06-2012 10:24 AM #113
      Experienced cyclist?

What the **** do you gain from experience cycling? That's like "i'm a seasoned walker, i've been walking for 25+ years. I know a thing or two about walking, it's a difficult skill to master."

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta
      04-06-2012 10:30 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Experienced cyclist?

What the **** do you gain from experience cycling? That's like "i'm a seasoned walker, i've been walking for 25+ years. I know a thing or two about walking, it's a difficult skill to master."

As an experienced forum user, this makes me laugh

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      04-06-2012 10:37 AM #115
      Experienced cyclist?

Gee, I don't know, are you as good a driver on day one as you are with years of experience?

You're obviously experienced in ignorance.
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      04-06-2012 10:40 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      It's a bridge, and the cyclist is legally required to ride there.
      I would have walked the bike over on the sidewalk if it were illegal to ride it. It's common sense, stay off the road. That's why people have to cross the centerline due to ignorant dumbass Lance Armstrong wanna-bes out there who don't know how to stay out of the way of vehicles.
      The Build Thread CTS Turbo SoCalStance Shop

Window Tinter (RI Area)- #meatheadwindowtinting

RIP Alexi

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      04-06-2012 10:41 AM #117
      Gee, I don't know, are you as good a driver on day one as you are with years of experience?

It's a basic ****ing skill. You pedal the pedals, you use your hands to apply brakes, what more is there to learn? You max out at about 30mph woah! I could understand if you've mastered all kinds of tricks or something.

Oh yeah, because 3 pedals with 2 feet and different drivetrain layouts/horsepower ratings, chassis dynamics etc is totally the same as pedals and a couple levers.

For the record, i'm an "experienced" cyclist myself. There's no ****ing way I would smugly insert that as though i'm better versed on ANY subject other than maybe what components work better than others on a bike. It isn't a complicated task.

18. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-06-2012 10:45 AM #118

How heavy is the weight of being the only experienced cyclist in this thread?

19. 04-06-2012 10:52 AM #119
      At least read the whole post and/or watch the video.

That's where the cyclist was supposed to be idiot.

I would have walked the bike over on the sidewalk if it were illegal to ride it. It's common sense, stay off the road. That's why people have to cross the centerline due to ignorant dumbass Lance Armstrong wanna-bes out there who don't know how to stay out of the way of vehicles.
      It's people like you who are the reason things are so F'd up.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-06-2012 10:54 AM #120
      Experienced cyclist?

Surely you can't be serious.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster
      04-06-2012 10:57 AM #121
      I would have walked the bike over on the sidewalk if it were illegal to ride it.
      But it was legal to ride the bike in the middle of the lane (per law).

It's common sense, stay off the road.
      Common sense is to stay as far right as practicable and follow the direction of traffic, not riding against it.

That's why people have to cross the centerline due to ignorant dumbass Lance Armstrong wanna-bes out there who don't know how to stay out of the way of vehicles.
      So everyone on a bicycle is trying to be LA? Didn't know that. Do you go on these arguments against tractors, or carriages, mopeds, etc.? It's a 35mph-limited road, not a 45-55mph thoroughfare. Pass when the line of sight is clear and it is safe to do so. Don't see why this is such a problem.

22. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 10:58 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
      My point about people suggesting he walk his bike across a bridge when IF AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS WERE PAYING ATTENTION, AND FOLLOWING THE LAW, cycling across a bridge with a 35 MPH speed limit should be perfectly safe.

The caption should read:

But I was following the law.....

Regardless of the law, the higher the difference in speed between you and the cars you share the road with, the more likely you are going to cause and accident. Bike vs automobile accident, who do you think is going to get hurt more? If you are not willing to acknowledge that there is a place and time to safely ride a bicycle I give up.
      “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      04-06-2012 10:59 AM #123
      Awesome!

Vehicles
      '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster
      04-06-2012 10:59 AM #124
      It's a 35mph road. That's not a highway. The cyclist was following the letter of the law which clearly stated (on signage) that cyclists are to use the road, and can take the middle of the lane (presumably to avoid being crushed into the barrier by someone who can't wait a few seconds to pass).

Vehicles
      2015 BMW M3
      04-06-2012 11:05 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Illegal to ride on the sidewalk or pedestrian bridge.
      But he could have gotten off and walked the bicycle... but then again, he has the right to do as he pleases in traffic.
      Odd considering the bicyclist is far safer riding on the pedestrian bridge.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast