Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: Teen Hit and Run driver hits bicyclist, flees, gets trapped by bus

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      04-06-2012 11:01 AM #106
      Cyclisit shouldn't be on the road to begin with. You can clearly see how he was obstructing what seemed to be a highway. Both parties were in the wrong.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-06-2012 11:07 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      I am ashamed of the ignorance displayed by so many car lovers in this thread. Car enthusiasts often pride themselves on their higher than average driving proficiency. All of you people saying the bicyclist is at fault or shares some blame here needs to have the ignorance beat out of them and then re-examined to earn the privilege to drive on the same roads as me.

Folks, it's real simple. Look where you're going, drive defensively, don't drive faster than your eyes can see ahead of you, don't hit other people. If you can't see what's in front of you then hang up the car keys and take the bus or walk.

Our government is way too weak in punishing traffic law violators who crash into others causing property damage, injury and/or death. The punishment should fit the crime. If you assault someone with your vehicle (intentional or otherwise) you should pay dearly for it. Leave the roads to those of us who choose to be attentive, courteous and proficient at driving.
      Deserved of a quote.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      SEVERE
      04-06-2012 11:18 AM #108
      cheers to everyday heroes stopping bad guys! Nice block Mr. bus driver!!

4. 04-06-2012 11:19 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by R32R1 View Post
      Cyclisit shouldn't be on the road to begin with. You can clearly see how he was obstructing what seemed to be a highway. Both parties were in the wrong.
      It's a bridge, and the cyclist is legally required to ride there.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      SEVERE
      04-06-2012 11:20 AM #110

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      04-06-2012 11:20 AM #111
      As perhaps the only experienced cyclist (25 years) in here, I will say that if I were to have to ride over that bridge, I would stay to the right and haul ass over it. However, this does not excuse the inattentiveness and subsequent criminal behavior of the Accord driver.
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

7. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-06-2012 11:22 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
      As perhaps the only experienced cyclist (25 years) in here, I will say that if I were to have to ride over that bridge, I would stay to the right and haul ass over it. However, this does not excuse the inattentiveness and subsequent criminal behavior of the Accord driver.
      I dig the smug.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec
      04-06-2012 11:24 AM #113
      Experienced cyclist?

What the **** do you gain from experience cycling? That's like "i'm a seasoned walker, i've been walking for 25+ years. I know a thing or two about walking, it's a difficult skill to master."

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta
      04-06-2012 11:30 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Experienced cyclist?

What the **** do you gain from experience cycling? That's like "i'm a seasoned walker, i've been walking for 25+ years. I know a thing or two about walking, it's a difficult skill to master."

As an experienced forum user, this makes me laugh

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      04-06-2012 11:37 AM #115
      Experienced cyclist?

Gee, I don't know, are you as good a driver on day one as you are with years of experience?

You're obviously experienced in ignorance.
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      04-06-2012 11:40 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      It's a bridge, and the cyclist is legally required to ride there.
      I would have walked the bike over on the sidewalk if it were illegal to ride it. It's common sense, stay off the road. That's why people have to cross the centerline due to ignorant dumbass Lance Armstrong wanna-bes out there who don't know how to stay out of the way of vehicles.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec
      04-06-2012 11:41 AM #117
      Gee, I don't know, are you as good a driver on day one as you are with years of experience?

It's a basic ****ing skill. You pedal the pedals, you use your hands to apply brakes, what more is there to learn? You max out at about 30mph woah! I could understand if you've mastered all kinds of tricks or something.

Oh yeah, because 3 pedals with 2 feet and different drivetrain layouts/horsepower ratings, chassis dynamics etc is totally the same as pedals and a couple levers.

For the record, i'm an "experienced" cyclist myself. There's no ****ing way I would smugly insert that as though i'm better versed on ANY subject other than maybe what components work better than others on a bike. It isn't a complicated task.

13. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-06-2012 11:45 AM #118

How heavy is the weight of being the only experienced cyclist in this thread?

14. 04-06-2012 11:52 AM #119
      At least read the whole post and/or watch the video.

That's where the cyclist was supposed to be idiot.

I would have walked the bike over on the sidewalk if it were illegal to ride it. It's common sense, stay off the road. That's why people have to cross the centerline due to ignorant dumbass Lance Armstrong wanna-bes out there who don't know how to stay out of the way of vehicles.
      It's people like you who are the reason things are so F'd up.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-06-2012 11:54 AM #120
      Experienced cyclist?

Surely you can't be serious.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster
      04-06-2012 11:57 AM #121
      I would have walked the bike over on the sidewalk if it were illegal to ride it.
      But it was legal to ride the bike in the middle of the lane (per law).

It's common sense, stay off the road.
      Common sense is to stay as far right as practicable and follow the direction of traffic, not riding against it.

That's why people have to cross the centerline due to ignorant dumbass Lance Armstrong wanna-bes out there who don't know how to stay out of the way of vehicles.
      So everyone on a bicycle is trying to be LA? Didn't know that. Do you go on these arguments against tractors, or carriages, mopeds, etc.? It's a 35mph-limited road, not a 45-55mph thoroughfare. Pass when the line of sight is clear and it is safe to do so. Don't see why this is such a problem.

17. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 11:58 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
      My point about people suggesting he walk his bike across a bridge when IF AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS WERE PAYING ATTENTION, AND FOLLOWING THE LAW, cycling across a bridge with a 35 MPH speed limit should be perfectly safe.

The caption should read:

But I was following the law.....

Regardless of the law, the higher the difference in speed between you and the cars you share the road with, the more likely you are going to cause and accident. Bike vs automobile accident, who do you think is going to get hurt more? If you are not willing to acknowledge that there is a place and time to safely ride a bicycle I give up.
      “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      04-06-2012 11:59 AM #123
      Awesome!

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 11:59 AM #124
      It's a 35mph road. That's not a highway. The cyclist was following the letter of the law which clearly stated (on signage) that cyclists are to use the road, and can take the middle of the lane (presumably to avoid being crushed into the barrier by someone who can't wait a few seconds to pass).

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      04-06-2012 12:05 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Illegal to ride on the sidewalk or pedestrian bridge.
      But he could have gotten off and walked the bicycle... but then again, he has the right to do as he pleases in traffic.
      Odd considering the bicyclist is far safer riding on the pedestrian bridge.

Vehicles
      2002 japanese taco
      04-06-2012 12:08 PM #126
      I got hit by car yesterday on my ride, ****ing hit and run, I wish some one like this was there to help me. I'm fine, but the ******* stopped to see if i was alive and then pinned it out of there. I had the green light going straight through the intersection, they decided to take a left and clip my rear wheel.

Luckily im fine, and my bike is ok. Tacoed rear wheel seems to be the damage. I really hope Karma kicks in for that ***hole.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 12:10 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spongeworthy View Post
      The caption should read:

But I was following the law.....

Regardless of the law, the higher the difference in speed between you and the cars you share the road with, the more likely you are going to cause and accident. Bike vs automobile accident, who do you think is going to get hurt more? If you are not willing to acknowledge that there is a place and time to safely ride a bicycle I give up.
      Yes, even people in cars get hurt following the law. That was the designated crossing, it's not the cyclist's fault some kid ran into him (and then attempted to flee to avoid consequence). There isn't exactly a huge difference between a cyclist and a car on a 35mph road.

Bicycles are transportation, not strictly a leisure vehicle. It's like saying there's a time and place to drive a sportsdcar, and that one isn't allowed to use it legally on the roadways as transport.

In the town I live in, the county designates the sidewalk as the bike path along the arterial road. Clear enough. I use that when I go on my exercise outings. Then again, I have seen people riding theirs on the edge of that roadway. In heavy traffic. It's a six-lane.

23. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 12:12 PM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by Kylen721 View Post
      But why should the car drivers have any more rights to the roads than cyclists?
      -name another non motorized vehicle allowed on the road?
      -name another non tagged/non registered/non commercial vehicle allowed on the road?

Why stop at bicycles? Why not also give the same rights to skate boarders and roller bladers and people on pogo sticks and people in wheel chairs?

But then those people would be hindering the bicyclists.. and would the bicyclists complain?

It is not someones right to drive at the maximum speed limit, so if you have to slow down then do it safely and get on with it. Car drivers always want to point out that their 3000lb vehicle will always win vs a cyclist, but if you are paying attention (and the cyclists isn't riding like a jackass) then there shouldn't even be a contest.

Also what rights are cyclists being given? At least around me it seems that cyclists are just finally having rights enforced. The funny thing to me is that most cyclists would much rather be in a separate bike lane when they are riding but the government doesn't want to spend any money on such things so they get stuck in the road and have to make do instead.

Edit: Just as a side note even though as a cyclist I believe cyclists have every right to be on the road, I certainly would not ride over this bridge either.
      If a vehicle breaks down in the middle of a busy road and eventually gets hit- we all say "well that was expected".
      If a pedestrian cross a busy road without looking to make sure traffic is stopping and they get hit we all say "Well that was expected".
      But if a bicyclist rides slowly on a busy urban bridge and gets hit we can't say "Well that was expected." … seems hypocritical no?

Saying something was dangerous isn't the same as saying the guy is to blame, just that "we understand" why it happened.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

24. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 12:12 PM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
      It's a 35mph road. That's not a highway. The cyclist was following the letter of the law which clearly stated (on signage) that cyclists are to use the road, and can take the middle of the lane (presumably to avoid being crushed into the barrier by someone who can't wait a few seconds to pass).

and the video perfectly demonstrates that even if the speedlimit is set at 35mph on that bridge, a single bicycle rider put how many people's lifes in danger in a few minutes?

I have an idea, to make the whole country more bicycle friendly why not demand the national speedlimit set at 10mph.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      04-06-2012 12:13 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Surely you can't be serious.
      Oh, he is serious, and stop calling him Shirley.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

26. 04-06-2012 12:14 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      Because it forces drivers who are actually paying attention to pass properly instead of sharing a lane that is too narrow to safely share.

Bicycles don't get rear-ended often, they get side-swiped.

In this thread: TCL proves how little they know about bicycle safety. It isn't common sense if you just drive a car.
      I guess more like I would be afraid if I was the guy on the bike. Bike taking up a entire lane on a road with cars traveling at a decent speed seems pretty dangerous to me.

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      04-06-2012 12:15 PM #132
      That bus driver did work.

That's right up the road from me.

28. 04-06-2012 12:15 PM #133
      The "seasoned rider" might be smug but he did state the second best option. (the first being walking the bike across). It might be legal to ride a bike slowly across a 35mph bridge but it's idiotic to do and fits well the thinking of those who decide these things.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      04-06-2012 12:18 PM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
      For what it's worth, the road in question has a 35mph speed limit. Just saying.
      Speed "limit" does not mean "required minimum speed."

Again, I'm glad you don't drive on the roads I ride on. That's a ****ty attitude to have, and I hope you never injure an innocent person on the roadways.

Quote Originally Posted by arcem View Post
      I got hit by car yesterday on my ride, ****ing hit and run, I wish some one like this was there to help me. I'm fine, but the ******* stopped to see if i was alive and then pinned it out of there. I had the green light going straight through the intersection, they decided to take a left and clip my rear wheel.

Luckily im fine, and my bike is ok. Tacoed rear wheel seems to be the damage. I really hope Karma kicks in for that ***hole.
      That sucks. Great to hear you weren't injured. Hard time to ride right now, motorists are getting used to cyclists on the road again.

and the video perfectly demonstrates that even if the speedlimit is set at 35mph on that bridge, a single bicycle rider put how many people's lifes in danger in a few minutes?
      PLEASE explain to me how that cyclist put multiple drivers' lives in danger?
      Last edited by GoRacers; 04-06-2012 at 12:25 PM.

30. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 12:20 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      The "seasoned rider" might be smug but he did state the second best option. (the first being walking the bike across). It might be legal to ride a bike slowly across a 35mph bridge but it's idiotic to do and fits well the thinking of those who decide these things.
      Well, Darwin will sort them out......

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      04-06-2012 12:23 PM #136
      I guess if you want to ride a bike on the same space as something that has airbags, glass, steel and 3000-5000+ pounds on you, that is certainly your choice. Riding a bike will make you more alert, and aware, while the fleshbags talking on their cell, listening to Usher while going 55 in a 25...they are not going to see you.

Me? I ride out on trails and various locations where vehicles can't run me over. I don't trust people enough not to run me over.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

32. 04-06-2012 12:27 PM #137

Did you even watch the video and read the op?

Vehicles
      2002 japanese taco
      04-06-2012 12:41 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by GoRacers View Post
      That sucks. Great to hear you weren't injured. Hard time to ride right now, motorists are getting used to cyclists on the road again.
      Thanks, I was lucky, and I know that. If i cant get my rear wheel fixed soon looks like i stuck with my fixed gear for awhile.

I'm just a little infuriated with the response that the TCL has over these incidences, its childish, egocentric and frankly, disappointing. Seriously what is with the holier than thou BS, leave e-thuggin to lonely middle schoolers.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      04-06-2012 12:49 PM #139
      Since I edited my last post after you'd posted again...

PLEASE explain how this cyclist put anyone else's life in danger?

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Previa LE S/C Alltrac
      04-06-2012 12:50 PM #140
      Props to the bus driver.

Glad the cyclist, who is obviously a commuter, is not hurt. I hope a local bike shop helps him out in getting his bike fixed because insurance will not cover something like that quickly or without negotiating costs to no end.

Bummer that cyclists have to ride in traffic without a bike lane over a long bridge. If that were my commute I would look at different routes.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast