Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: Teen Hit and Run driver hits bicyclist, flees, gets trapped by bus

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-06-2012 08:43 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      The driver was in no way morally, ethically or legally right; with that said that bicyclist deserved it.

There is no reason, law or not, why he needed to be in the middle of the lane. If there is some new law that states they can take the whole lane that guy was being no more than troll in doing so to exercise his right and say "hey look at me i can do this".
      Actually, riding with traffic is, statistically, the safest place for a cyclist besides a dedicated bike lane. And where else would you suggest he ride? On the sidewalk - where the majority of bike accidents with injuries occur, filled with pedestrians? Way over on the gravelly margin of the lane, where the Accord can sideswipe him? It's a bridge; the lanes are narrow and there's no room for a bike lane. The safest possible place for him is spang in the middle of a lane. He's got plenty of space and drivers are forced to pass him, instead of sideswipe him. Obviously, there can still be problems with that, but if there's no shoulder, bikes should always take a full lane, and that's the law in a lot of places.

Why is he a "troll" for following the signs and taking a full lane in a constricted situation like a bridge? He'd be an idiot to do anything else. Are the Amish just trollin' when they take their buggies out? I realize a lot of people have a snit fit about bikes inconveniencing them and being all uppity and stuff, but they're legal road users with clearly defined rights - one of which is using as much of the lane as they need in a given situation. Obviously, it'd be great if every road had a bike lane, but that's not the case. And just like with emergency vehicles, construction, wildlife, Amish buggies, and road hazards, it's up to you to respond appropriately if something is obstructing the lane, or just travelling slowly in it.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 04-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      04-06-2012 09:01 AM #72
      I agree. He needs to take that whole lane or he's going to invite people trying to squeeze by two by two.

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 09:06 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Do you expect him to levitate over the river? It was a bridge you idiot. Think for 2 seconds before you post and you'll get and answer to your own question.
      Oh no, what should I do, I am dealing with a rocket scientist here.... Do humanity a favor, please go ride your bike on that bridge preferably at 3am on a Sunday. Keep in mind that according to the law it's perfectly legal to be right in the middle of the lane.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      I agree. He needs to take that whole lane or he's going to invite people trying to squeeze by two by two.
      Or use common sense and walk across because even though it's legal to ride on that bridge it's dangerous....
      Last edited by Captain Spongeworthy; 04-06-2012 at 09:16 AM.
      “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

4. 04-06-2012 09:17 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      But driving off was a big mistake... if you get caught.
      so if you don't get caught it's all right, nice

Vehicles
      2003 Jeep GC 4.0, 2002 Maxima SE
      04-06-2012 09:18 AM #75
      Good thing it wasn't the bus
      ftfy

6. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-06-2012 09:19 AM #76
      Bus driver
      Accord driver

Some people in this thread and the reasons I don't ride on the road any more.

Vehicles
      '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster
      04-06-2012 09:23 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spongeworthy View Post
      Do humanity a favor, please go ride your bike on that bridge preferably at 3am on a Sunday. Keep in mind that according to the law it's perfectly legal to be right in the middle of the lane.
      And then one would be required to be using lights.

Or use common sense and walk across because even though it's legal to ride on that bridge it's dangerous....
      Obviously the rule was created for a reason. If the DOT/etc. wanted to designate that cyclists walk across on the sidewalk, they would have specified that. However, they did not. Therefore, if someone is following the law, then they are not the ones at fault and should not be blamed. It's like saying "well you shouldn't be driving the speed dlimit in the right lane because the other two lanes are going faster".

Love TCL's logic on this. Gripe when cyclists (like many drivers) ignore the rules, gripe when they follow them.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      04-06-2012 09:28 AM #78
      Damn. I've seen this first hand, teenage girl ran over a bicyclist, and tried to run in traffic...

Yes it was a Camry.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Quote Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
      I'm noticing more and more that Aonarch has some of the better comments.
      Aye, I do.

9. 04-06-2012 09:29 AM #79
      Oh no, what should I do, I am dealing with a rocket scientist here.... Do humanity a favor, please go ride your bike on that bridge preferably at 3am on a Sunday. Keep in mind that according to the law it's perfectly legal to be right in the middle of the lane.
      What you're missing here is that the bridge has no shoulder whatsoever, and has very prominent signs telling cyclists to ride on the traffic lanes of the bridge, and to use the whole lane for their safety. So, it is very nice of you to make sure he is in the safest possible location during his 3am Sunday ride. How kind.

10. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 09:33 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
      And then one would be required to be using lights.

Obviously the rule was created for a reason. If the DOT/etc. wanted to designate that cyclists walk across on the sidewalk, they would have specified that. However, they did not. Therefore, if someone is following the law, then they are not the ones at fault and should not be blamed. It's like saying "well you shouldn't be driving the speed dlimit in the right lane because the other two lanes are going faster".

Love TCL's logic on this. Gripe when cyclists (like many drivers) ignore the rules, gripe when they follow them.
      By law you can do many things that you shouldn't. It's up to your judgment and common sense not to become a statistic.....

11. 04-06-2012 09:37 AM #81
      If you want to own a lane in traffic going 5 mph max, then you really need some type of lighting system to make yourself easier to see.
      He has an LED rear light mounted under the seat.
      How do you know if it was on or not?

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      04-06-2012 09:39 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      Bus driver
      Accord driver

Some people in this thread and the reasons I don't ride on the road any more.
      This! I started a thread a couple of days ago in OT, where a redneck in an Avalanche nearly hit me and then told me to watch where I was going.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Quote Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
      I'm noticing more and more that Aonarch has some of the better comments.
      Aye, I do.

13. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 09:45 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      This! I started a thread a couple of days ago in OT, where a redneck in an Avalanche nearly hit me and then told me to watch where I was going.
      I didn't know there were rednecks in Leningrad....

14. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 09:49 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by 484 View Post
      What you're missing here is that the bridge has no shoulder whatsoever, and has very prominent signs telling cyclists to ride on the traffic lanes of the bridge, and to use the whole lane for their safety. So, it is very nice of you to make sure he is in the safest possible location during his 3am Sunday ride. How kind.
      I am not missing anything, signs or no signs I would be scared ****less riding in the middle of the lane on a busy bridge playing chicken with cars and buses that are coming up behind me....

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-06-2012 09:51 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      He has an LED rear light mounted under the seat.
      How do you know if it was on or not?
      Well, if the section of video showing the incident from the rear just before impact wasn't deleted from the video (???), we would see if there was an LED light on the bicycle.

But whatever.
      Even if he did have a light, the driver of the Accord obviously didn’t see him for some reason of another. Maybe he was looking down the road for a passing route since he seemed quite impatient?
      Aggressive and/or distracted teen drivers scare me even when I am in a car.
      Either way, he his the guy and thank goodness the (much older than I originally thought -check news video of courtroom performance) bicyclists was not injured.
      Nobody here (honestly) wants bicyclists to get hurt, and nobody wants to hit them.
      From a car driver point of view, bicyclists scare me because they can appear in the road at very unexpected and dangerous locations and times.

And let’s talk about something else for a second.
      Many areas are giving bicyclists more rights on the road because bicycling is seen as being green versus driving a gas powered vehicle (even though most bicyclists are just using the road for a work out ride and not actually going somehwere they would normally drive).
      But this video shows all too well that a single bicycle may save one vehicle from being driven this route, but it also is enough of a slowly moving traffic hindrance to cause the vehicles passing a combined amount of wasted fuel that probably offsets any fuel savings by the lone bicyclist.

I say make a determination of what roads are safe to ride on (due to traffic speeds and lane/shoulder width) and designate those as bicycle roads.
      Keep them off normal busy traffic roads for the sake of everybody involved.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2008 Chevy Cobalt LS
      04-06-2012 09:53 AM #86
      The roads and bridges in the LV (Lehigh Valley) are old as dirt and there's definitely not enough cash in the counties budget to revise them.

So YES he HAS to have the RIGHT AWAY in the ENTIRE lane.

Chastising dude because some inattentive driver hit him and ran while doing the LEGAL thing...

Really??

Are you really that inept?

Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      troll troll troll your boat, gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily, life is about extremes.

Vehicles
      '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster
      04-06-2012 09:58 AM #87
      For what it's worth, the road in question has a 35mph speed limit. Just saying.

18. 04-06-2012 09:59 AM #88
      From a car driver point of view, bicyclists scare me because they can appear in the road at very unexpected and dangerous locations and times.

I say make a determination of what roads are safe to ride on (due to traffic speeds and lane/shoulder width) and designate those as bicycle roads.

We have bikeways around Austin.
      They seem to help, but you do end up with people walking on them which can cause a big problem.

Still, when there is a group on the road I do not mind if they stick together in packs, like motorcycles. It helps with visibility.

Vehicles
      2015 Fiesta Hatch, 2014 Prius
      04-06-2012 10:03 AM #89
      Well, if the section of video showing the incident from the rear just before impact wasn't deleted from the video (???), we would see if there was an LED light on the bicycle.

But whatever.
      Even if he did have a light, the driver of the Accord obviously didn’t see him for some reason of another. Maybe he was looking down the road for a passing route since he seemed quite impatient?
      Aggressive and/or distracted teen drivers scare me even when I am in a car.
      Either way, he his the guy and thank goodness the (much older than I originally thought -check news video of courtroom performance) bicyclists was not injured.
      Nobody here (honestly) wants bicyclists to get hurt, and nobody wants to hit them.

And let’s talk about something else for a second.
      Many areas are giving bicyclists more rights on the road because bicycling is seen as being green versus driving a gas powered vehicle (even though most bicyclists are just using the road for a work out ride and not actually going somehwere they would normally drive).
      But this video shows all too well that a single bicycle may save one vehicle from being driven this route, but it also is enough of a slowly moving traffic hindrance to cause the vehicles passing a combined amount of wasted fuel that probably offsets any fuel savings by the lone bicyclist.

But why should the car drivers have any more rights to the roads than cyclists? It is not someones right to drive at the maximum speed limit, so if you have to slow down then do it safely and get on with it. Car drivers always want to point out that their 3000lb vehicle will always win vs a cyclist, but if you are paying attention (and the cyclists isn't riding like a jackass) then there shouldn't even be a contest.

Also what rights are cyclists being given? At least around me it seems that cyclists are just finally having rights enforced. The funny thing to me is that most cyclists would much rather be in a separate bike lane when they are riding but the government doesn't want to spend any money on such things so they get stuck in the road and have to make do instead.

Edit: Just as a side note even though as a cyclist I believe cyclists have every right to be on the road, I certainly would not ride over this bridge either.
      Last edited by Kylen721; 04-06-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 1996 BK
      04-06-2012 10:04 AM #90

Every car driver should walk their car across the bridge because busses are much bigger, and it is dangerous to be in a small car.

21. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 10:06 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post

We have bikeways around Austin.
      They seem to help, but you do end up with people walking on them which can cause a big problem.
      do they hinder you from moving at a proper speed? Is there a law preventing pedestrians from walking in the middle of a bikeway?

22. Member Captain Spongeworthy's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      04-06-2012 10:14 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
      Every car driver should walk their car across the bridge because busses are much bigger, and it is dangerous to be in a small car.
      You make no sence at all, your logic does not work

23. 04-06-2012 10:15 AM #93
      I see many cyclists here riding in 45mph double lane roads with no shoulder on either side. People here in Howard county MD can't drive, I'm very surprised I don't hear about things like this. I don't understand cyclists, they will ride in the road like a car yet blow through red lights like there are no rules.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      04-06-2012 10:17 AM #94
      He was going quite slow. Should runners have the same rights; should people be able to run in the lane so long as they deem it necessary?
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Volvo 940 Wagon
      04-06-2012 10:17 AM #95
      By law you can do many things that you shouldn't. It's up to your judgment and common sense not to become a statistic.....
      Would you have the same lack of sympathy for a hypothetical person who was struck and killed while driving something like, say, this:

Without seatbelts, even though they were obeying the letter of the law?

What about a person driving this:

Is it only a matter of potential speed that makes you so callous? Of size? A person on a bicycle is really not that much smaller than a person on a small motorcycle.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mach700 View Post
      In the absence of Wars, people become lazy and sex slaves (not everybody).

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      04-06-2012 10:25 AM #96
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 10:28 AM #97
      You make no sence at all, your logic does not work
      My point about people suggesting he walk his bike across a bridge when IF AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS WERE PAYING ATTENTION, AND FOLLOWING THE LAW, cycling across a bridge with a 35 MPH speed limit should be perfectly safe.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      04-06-2012 10:31 AM #98
      My point about people suggesting he walk his bike across a bridge when IF AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS WERE PAYING ATTENTION, AND FOLLOWING THE LAW, cycling across a bridge with a 35 MPH speed limit should be perfectly safe.
      If drivers followed the same rules you listed sleeping in the street should be safe.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      04-06-2012 10:32 AM #99
      Sue, sue, sue!

04-06-2012 10:34 AM #100
      I am ashamed of the ignorance displayed by so many car lovers in this thread. Car enthusiasts often pride themselves on their higher than average driving proficiency. All of you people saying the bicyclist is at fault or shares some blame here needs to have the ignorance beat out of them and then re-examined to earn the privilege to drive on the same roads as me.

Folks, it's real simple. Look where you're going, drive defensively, don't drive faster than your eyes can see ahead of you, don't hit other people. If you can't see what's in front of you then hang up the car keys and take the bus or walk.

Our government is way too weak in punishing traffic law violators who crash into others causing property damage, injury and/or death. The punishment should fit the crime. If you assault someone with your vehicle (intentional or otherwise) you should pay dearly for it. Leave the roads to those of us who choose to be attentive, courteous and proficient at driving.

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      04-06-2012 10:36 AM #101
      While I applaud the bus driver for stopping the hit & run driver...I will say that bikes are a HUGE pain in the a$$. I live in an area that is VERY popular with bikes...rural and gorgeous. But, being rural, there are lots of roads with 1 lane in each direction and no-passing zones. It is not uncommon to have a bike with 20+ cars lined up behind it. SO frustrating. I know they have a right to be on the raod, but do it smartly. If there is a line of cars behind you, pull over and let them pass. And for God's sake, don't ride 2-3-4 bikes wide.

04-06-2012 10:36 AM #102
      Don't you think it odd that at the same time we are making cars more idiot proof that we are giving bicyclists more rights on the road?
      The same rules in play here where in effect decades ago and automobile drivers were just as dumb and ignorant then, too.

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 10:40 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by 2Cor View Post
      If drivers followed the same rules you listed sleeping in the street should be safe.
      Never go full retard.

Vehicles
      2015 Fiesta Hatch, 2014 Prius
      04-06-2012 10:44 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Our government is way too weak in punishing traffic law violators who crash into others causing property damage, injury and/or death. The punishment should fit the crime. If you assault someone with your vehicle (intentional or otherwise) you should pay dearly for it. Leave the roads to those of us who choose to be attentive, courteous and proficient at driving.
      This coupled with the fact that they make it incredibly easy to get a drivers license. I can't imagine what an uproar there would be if people actually had to be challenged to get a license.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      04-06-2012 10:54 AM #105
      Never go full retard.
      Your statement is nonsense. Just because something should be and would be safe doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast